Player Reviews Season 20/21

lost in space

lost in space

2020/1 Player Review 

Since we don’t have any cup games, the season is OVER. Thought we could have a “fun” review of the players over the shortened season - 

Craig Gordon – TOP man. Hardly any mistakes – may improve if our coaches can find an actual goalie for him to compete with. 9 

Bobby – Another failed Levein gamble. 0 

Ross Stewart – A failed gamble by present coach. The coaches at his home club obviously have the ability to see that he is not good enough to be a second choice. 3 

Michael Smith – Mr Reliable. Not a great crosser (of the ball!!). Didn’t look happy for a while when not allowed over half way line by coach. 7 

Aidy White – Another failed Levein gamble. 4 

Stephen Kingsley – better going forward - didn’t look good when coaches would not let him cross the half way line. 6 

Christophe – Best to remember him as a young player at Tynecastle. Poor decision by present coach to bring back after Stendel loaned out.  At least he saw the Brora performance coming – unlike our head coach. 2 

John Souttar – Welcome back – has been missed. 

Craig Halkett – Mostly had a good season despite never looking fully fit. Not helped by having to play with different partners. Would improve if stable defence.  Could return to international standard if properly coached – maybe should leave for his career prospects. 7 

Popescu – poor signing by present coach. Is brave, good in the air, can pass and not slow but too many mistakes – just like he had with previous club. 4 

Peter Haring – welcome back – has been missed. Needs to cut out the dangerous tackles. Needs properly coached to cut this out – should maybe leave then. 

Damour – Whooooo ??? Another failed Levein gamble but would be worth a place before Neilsons failed gambles. Has been injured. 

Jamie Walker – has taken 20 games for present coach to discover what fans all knew – not a winger or a 90 minute player. 6 

Andy Halliday – can play a number of positions and works hard for the team. Needs to stop taking the easy option of passing back or sideways – pity nobody has told him about this. 6 

GMS – Heart of a mouse. A 1-trick pony who has lost his trick. Shockingly bad signing. Was the head coaches first choice player to be signed. First on the team sheet every week – no matter how bad. Team improved hugely on his first game out. 1 (for the one good pass) 

Arron McEneff – has taken too many games for the coach to realise what fans all knew – he is not a player for wide right. 5 

Kastaneer – shockingly bad. Has physique but does not know what to do/where to go. Doesn’t look as though he has ever been coached. If he was looking to develop under better coaching – came to the wrong club. 2 

Josh Ginnelly – looked like a good signing. Unfortunate serious injury – not his first. Hasn’t played many games over the years. A gamble by Head Coach that hasn’t worked (it still might). 

Frail – low on confidence and should not have been signed. You would think a coach would see that during a trial period! Head coach tried to sign him before at DUFC. Nobody knows why. 3 

Andy Irving – will probably be a very good player – when his attitude improves. Needs coached on a few things so should probably leave to help his development. The second most one-footed player in memory. Difficult for the head coach to change this – since he was the most one-footed player in memory. 6 

Liam Boyce – worked very hard. Tough for him when he was playing as only forward as there was rarely a Hearts player within 30 yards of him.  Has shown frustration at times. Cant blame him. 8 

Steven Naismith – injuries have not helped. Not a starting player now but still useful to have on the bench. Should be coaching – he wouldnt have much competition in that department. 6 

Gnanduillet – taken a few games for the coach to realise that he is not a target man. Should improve now. 6 

Euan Henderson – taken about 20 games for the head coach to realise he is not a winger. Will improve if allowed to. At least he has been given game time. 6 

Craig Wighton – given away to one of our main competitors. Head coach very lucky we had no injuries to forwards. 4 

Roberts – Awful performances – until he went to Motherwell where he became a better player. Total mystery that he improved..................... cant think why! 

McGill – no idea what he is like or even what he looks like – is a young player so never given a chance.  

All in my opinion of course. I have looked through my comments to see if there is a common theme – but cant see one.   

I doubt that any player has improved during the season – possibly Irving but he needs a lot of work before he can reach his true potential. 

I am confident that you will all agree with my assessments.😌

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Wow. I think I agreed with maybe 3 of them

I gave up at calling Zlamal a failed gamble. Bit harsh. A player who had little expectations, had some very good games, and has ultimately been outclassed by Gordon.

lost in space
27 minutes ago, Locky said:

I gave up at calling Zlamal a failed gamble. Bit harsh. A player who had little expectations, had some very good games, and has ultimately been outclassed by Gordon.

I was actually talking about contributions this season (hence 20/21). Did Bobby actually play?

We signed a poor goalie as no trust in him.

All about opinions though.....

rudi must stay

My review

Gordon - solid GK still 9/10. Won't give him 10 as he couldn't win that shout out.

Zlamal - no score never played

Stewart - I doubt he'll survive that game

Smith - 7 always plays fine

White - 5 won us a famous penalty that's about it

Kingsley - 6 overrated as after a nice free kick

Berra - 6 he's had some good games defensively 

Halkett - 6 same as Berra 

Popescu - 7 yes mistakes a plenty but I like him. He cares and he has a presence about him 

Souttar - 6 he's very welcome back and that was a classy game v Alloa

McEnuff - 7 not been as excited about a player in years as I was after Friday. He's the future of Heart of Midlothian. His passing, his workrate, his attitude he has the lot

Walker - 7 he's like the Walker of old very positive with his play. He's been a bright spot this season

GMS - 5 he's looked terrible

Halliday - 5 a man that could be accused of not trying his absolute best 

Kastaneer - 5 he's not staying that for sure 

Ginnelly - 7 great player 

Haring - 6 more like it v Alloa 

Irving - 6 I don't believe the hype with the guy. Never seen anything 

Boyce - 7 great goal return. I think he's an excellent footballer 

Gnaduillet - 5 I haven't taken to him. Holds it up that's about it 

Naismith - 7  he's still got it as a player in my opinion 

lost in space
31 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Who's Frail?

Never heard of Stevie Frail?? Changed his name to Frear.

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Never heard of Stevie Frail?? Changed his name to Frear.

Forgot all about Frear. I rate him fwiw, I'd give him a 6

50 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I was actually talking about contributions this season (hence 20/21). Did Bobby actually play?

We signed a poor goalie as no trust in him.

All about opinions though.....

He hasn't played this season, which just makes the Levein comment odd. Not that it says much, but Bobby was the best keeper we had between McLaughlin leaving and Gordon coming back.

Blackshades
3 hours ago, lost in space said:

2020/1 Player Review 

Since we don’t have any cup games, the season is OVER. Thought we could have a “fun” review of the players over the shortened season - 

Craig Gordon – TOP man. Hardly any mistakes – may improve if our coaches can find an actual goalie for him to compete with. 9 

Bobby – Another failed Levein gamble. 0 

Ross Stewart – A failed gamble by present coach. The coaches at his home club obviously have the ability to see that he is not good enough to be a second choice. 3 

Michael Smith – Mr Reliable. Not a great crosser (of the ball!!). Didn’t look happy for a while when not allowed over half way line by coach. 7 

Aidy White – Another failed Levein gamble. 4 

Stephen Kingsley – better going forward - didn’t look good when coaches would not let him cross the half way line. 6 

Christophe – Best to remember him as a young player at Tynecastle. Poor decision by present coach to bring back after Stendel loaned out.  At least he saw the Brora performance coming – unlike our head coach. 2 

John Souttar – Welcome back – has been missed. 

Craig Halkett – Mostly had a good season despite never looking fully fit. Not helped by having to play with different partners. Would improve if stable defence.  Could return to international standard if properly coached – maybe should leave for his career prospects. 7 

Popescu – poor signing by present coach. Is brave, good in the air, can pass and not slow but too many mistakes – just like he had with previous club. 4 

Peter Haring – welcome back – has been missed. Needs to cut out the dangerous tackles. Needs properly coached to cut this out – should maybe leave then. 

Damour – Whooooo ??? Another failed Levein gamble but would be worth a place before Neilsons failed gambles. Has been injured. 

Jamie Walker – has taken 20 games for present coach to discover what fans all knew – not a winger or a 90 minute player. 6 

Andy Halliday – can play a number of positions and works hard for the team. Needs to stop taking the easy option of passing back or sideways – pity nobody has told him about this. 6 

GMS – Heart of a mouse. A 1-trick pony who has lost his trick. Shockingly bad signing. Was the head coaches first choice player to be signed. First on the team sheet every week – no matter how bad. Team improved hugely on his first game out. 1 (for the one good pass) 

Arron McEneff – has taken too many games for the coach to realise what fans all knew – he is not a player for wide right. 5 

Kastaneer – shockingly bad. Has physique but does not know what to do/where to go. Doesn’t look as though he has ever been coached. If he was looking to develop under better coaching – came to the wrong club. 2 

Josh Ginnelly – looked like a good signing. Unfortunate serious injury – not his first. Hasn’t played many games over the years. A gamble by Head Coach that hasn’t worked (it still might). 

Frail – low on confidence and should not have been signed. You would think a coach would see that during a trial period! Head coach tried to sign him before at DUFC. Nobody knows why. 3 

Andy Irving – will probably be a very good player – when his attitude improves. Needs coached on a few things so should probably leave to help his development. The second most one-footed player in memory. Difficult for the head coach to change this – since he was the most one-footed player in memory. 6 

Liam Boyce – worked very hard. Tough for him when he was playing as only forward as there was rarely a Hearts player within 30 yards of him.  Has shown frustration at times. Cant blame him. 8 

Steven Naismith – injuries have not helped. Not a starting player now but still useful to have on the bench. Should be coaching – he wouldnt have much competition in that department. 6 

Gnanduillet – taken a few games for the coach to realise that he is not a target man. Should improve now. 6 

Euan Henderson – taken about 20 games for the head coach to realise he is not a winger. Will improve if allowed to. At least he has been given game time. 6 

Craig Wighton – given away to one of our main competitors. Head coach very lucky we had no injuries to forwards. 4 

Roberts – Awful performances – until he went to Motherwell where he became a better player. Total mystery that he improved..................... cant think why! 

McGill – no idea what he is like or even what he looks like – is a young player so never given a chance.  

All in my opinion of course. I have looked through my comments to see if there is a common theme – but cant see one.   

I doubt that any player has improved during the season – possibly Irving but he needs a lot of work before he can reach his true potential. 

I am confident that you will all agree with my assessments.😌

Love how every player rating is a critasisum of the coach .🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Love how every player rating is a critasisum of the coach .🤣🤣

I stopped reading once I realised that. 

Bazzas right boot

Good Fred 

Gordon 8- some great saves but most games he's not had much to do. Just being there, he makes the defence better. 

Smith 7- generally solid as per. 

Berra  5- still good in the air and gave 100% but finished for us. His left wing display v Dundee will live long with me. 

Halkett 6- consistent, not great, not bad. 

Kingsley 6 - good start but trailed a bit. 

Popescu 4- boy is a bombs scare, can be good but he just makes me nervous. 

Halliday 6 - been our best midfielder. 

Haring 3-  basically a long pre season for him, very poor early on but best game on Friday, more of that please. 

McEneff 5 - gave us some drive and energy, has gotten fitter. 

Walker 7- played well early on and has a role as a super sub, scored some important goals in tight games. 

Irving 5- really thought he should be more dominant in games at this level. He's had good and bad games. 

GMS 4- slow start, signs he was getting better tho. He does have quality moments. 

Naismith 3- pretty poor in general- poor touch, slack passing, maybe useful in big games next season.  

Gino 3 - changed the sc final, will give us something different when fit. Not played enough for a higher score. 

Boycey 9 - top goalscorer, scored pk v hibs in sf. Miss him when he's not playing- a class act. My PoY. Works hard, creates, scores. 

Gnando 5 - effective and scored a few , solid start from him. 

The other other guys not played enough to get higher than a 3 or 4.