Reconstruction

LarrysRightFoot

Whats the plan for voting rights if the Old Firm B teams get into thd SPFL? I presume that they won't be getting a vote.. But you never know 🙂

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Newton51

• Baldwigforjack

• Footballfirst

Tommy Brown
15 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone who saw the 18 team league as previously structured would not want to go back to that, but with 4 teams relegated it might work. A 14 team League with a 6/8 split could be interesting and preferable imo.

Grass pitches should be compulsory in the top league, which might rule out an 18 team League. 

Too many teams are hell bent against 14 as it only guarantees 2xOF home time against current 3x. Sad eh?

The recent proposals seem to want to take it to 48 teams, which you would have to assume is 4x 12 team leagues.

Horrendous  we need less dross  not bloody more.

We reap what we sow.

The number needs reduced if anything. 2 leagues. Maybe 3. 
12-12-10 is all we need within the current structure. 

ideally in time that could move to 16/18-12 and scrap the 3rd league into a regional set up below the professional set up. 

Jambof3tornado
15 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone who saw the 18 team league as previously structured would not want to go back to that, but with 4 teams relegated it might work. A 14 team League with a 6/8 split could be interesting and preferable imo.

Grass pitches should be compulsory in the top league, which might rule out an 18 team League. 

Need to get rid of that split for me. 2 up 2 down and plays offs for next 2 places in an 18 team league for me.

Super_Hans
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Need to get rid of that split for me. 2 up 2 down and plays offs for next 2 places in an 18 team league for me.

As long Sky Sports have the TV rights, they'll demand four Old firm games. A 10 team league or one with a split.

My preference is a 14 team league. Split into a 6/8 after 26 matches.

davemclaren
28 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

As long Sky Sports have the TV rights, they'll demand four Old firm games. A 10 team league or one with a split.

My preference is a 14 team league. Split into a 6/8 after 26 matches.

I agree with both your points. 18 teams in the top league is too many imo. 

ToadKiller Dog

I'm sure Uncle Walter said in the recent past that the Orcs would be ok with 14 team top league .

I cant see either of the uglies accepting more so a 16 or 18 would be a non starter as they both basically have a veto on such and would likely be able to twist one or two others to vote with them if need be .

But of course a big reason why the uglies don't want an 18 team league as it makes it potentially (how ever small ) more likely a team could finish top 2 without beating them over a season and the last thing they want is competition for the top 2 slots .

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

It seems to have gone all quiet since clubs were presented with these proposals.

You have to think that they are being seriously considered, otherwise they would have been rejected out of hand. It may be that some fine tuning is underway, but any changes that affect promotion or relegation should be agreed before the League season starts.

On 09/07/2021 at 21:27, Footballfirst said:

It seems to have gone all quiet since clubs were presented with these proposals.

You have to think that they are being seriously considered, otherwise they would have been rejected out of hand. It may be that some fine tuning is underway, but any changes that affect promotion or relegation should be agreed before the League season starts.

So, dead in the water without a vote.  Brian Rice, however, thinks we should still find a way of getting OF colts into the league.  Sorry Brian, I could have sworn you were in charge of a team of your own and not a full time OF lobbyist.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I know the OF would never go for it, but would love to see a North American style playoffs system for the title.

Gives us the 14/16 team league, once H&A. Top 4 would then go to playoffs. Pos 1 v Pos 4 and Pos 2 v Pos 3, best of three matches (home, away, home) for the higher ranked team, and then same again for the final (potentially third match decider, if needed could also be played at Hampden). 9 times out of 10 it'll be the OF in the final, thus giving them their 4 (possibly 5) league matches for TV. And if not, the viewing figures would still be high for a league title decider between one of the OF and us/Aberdeen/Hibsediters.

It's a perfectly reasonable solution. 

However, the mentality of the Scottish Football authorities is that they are not prepared to contemplate a "title decider" between the OF just now and will gerrymander the post split fixtures to ensure that it doesn't happen.

They won't even consider an opening day fixture between the OF, or try to avoid OF clashes immediately before/after UEFA fixtures.