Reconstruction

LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot

First off I’m 100% for reconstruction, we need bigger leagues. I wasn’t swayed into this thinking due to the situation we were in last season, it’s been my opinion for as long as I can remember. 

However, if the idea was floated again now. What would everyone else’s thoughts be? 

F?ck everyone else, they shafted us?

or

Its still the right thing for the game in Scotland? 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Newton51

• Baldwigforjack

• Footballfirst

Needs to happen along with the current voting system , unfortunately cannot see either changing anytime soon.

Kill off 22 teams.

One league made up of 20 teams is perfect.

The bottom 4 teams get punted into a regional division and eventually fold.

Bunny Munro

Knowing the arseholes at the SPFL, they'd probably make it a top 10 and keep us in the championship.

Id go two leagues of 16. Chuck the rest out.

Just now, Bunny Munro said:

Knowing the arseholes at the SPFL, they'd probably make it a top 10 and keep us in the championship.

Id go two leagues of 16. Chuck the rest out.

Indeed. It’s mental when you think about it that a country with a much smaller population than London tries to maintain 4 professional leagues. 

27 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

First off I’m 100% for reconstruction, we need bigger leagues. I wasn’t swayed into this thinking due to the situation we were in last season, it’s been my opinion for as long as I can remember. 

However, if the idea was floated again now. What would everyone else’s thoughts be? 

or

In my opinion it needs to happen 👍

SomethingAboutObua

My opinion on it all has changed tbh, I used to be for everyone joining the pyramid under one body but now honestly I think its a terrible idea.

I want to see all 22-24 full time professional teams setting up a league system of their own, the whole one body to run everything if awful, it's just inappropriate to run a league set up the same way for teams like Hearts, Dundee United and Celtic as you do for Peterhead, Albion Rovers and Forfar. 

Get the full timers separated and fence off the top tiers to part time teams. Let teams reject promotion so they can compete at their level and let Falkirk and Partick that can run full time teams actually benefit full time Scottish football than wallowing in part time leagues.

If that was the vote, all for it. If its to just rejig the league set up, dont change it unless we're changing votes, prize money and only playing each of the OF twice a season.

Bazzas right boot

Needs to happen.

I'm 100% for a larger league and league system that doesn't have an odd number of games before deciding anything.

A league should be an equal number of games home and away, 2 or 4.

3 cannot be equal and is complete nonsense.

Any league that has an unequal number of games played home and away over a season before anything is decided  is mickey mouse beyond belief.

****ing arseholes.

worst thing that happened to our league.

Keep the 44 games if you need 4 OF games, 33 then a split is a ****ing joke.

I would still like to see a 16 team league top flight, with 30 games a season.

Will never happen though, they would probably put it down to 10 to keep their 4 old firm games.

Selkirkhmfc1874

All for reconstruction but not for next season ! Certain clubs need to take there medicine rather than be saved by reconstruction first

5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

All for reconstruction but not for next season ! Certain clubs need to take there medicine rather than be saved by reconstruction first

👍 agree

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Needs to happen.

I'm 100% for a larger league and league system that doesn't have an odd number of games before deciding anything.

Any league that has an unequal number of games played home and away over a season before anything is decided  is mickey mouse beyond belief.

****ing arseholes.

Totally agree with this. Sporting integrity goes out the window in our current set up, not very fair to ask clubs to potentially play 3 away games against nearest rivals.

i would prefer a 16 team top league, the uglies can have their split here too. A clean split to half the league after 30 games then home and away games post split for a 44 game season.

Needs to happen.

****ing arseholes.

😄 I’m on strange ground here, I agree with every word .

22games nro

Reminder from 8th May last year,

Dave Cormack, chairman of Aberdeen, said: “The strong feeling of the group was that we must focus all of our energies on emerging from the crisis we face, due to the pandemic, on getting back to playing football safely and getting fans back into grounds as soon as practicably possible. 

“Whilst the group sympathises with the plight of the situation the relegated teams are faced with, it concluded that this is not the right time to consider immediate reconstruction in the midst of a crisis. But the group is willing to engage in and pick up on these discussions once we are through Covid-19.”

6 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Totally agree with this. Sporting integrity goes out the window in our current set up, not very fair to ask clubs to potentially play 3 away games against nearest rivals.

i would prefer a 16 team top league, the uglies can have their split here too. A clean split to half the league after 30 games then home and away games post split for a 44 game season.

I hate the split, I'd like just a 16 team league with 30 games per season and just have us play cup games on weekends instead of midweek, it might actually help teams competing in europe too if there are no fixture congestions.

Needs to happen.

****ing arseholes.

Agreed ... Home and away only .... Let the OF play each other home and away for the OF cup if 4 OF games are reqd

Blackshades
7 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Two leagues of 10. Meaningful games through the whole season. Play off for last position. 

Had that before and it didn't work .crap then would be crap again .

1 minute ago, hmfc_steve said:

Agreed ... Home and away only .... Let the OF play each other home and away for the OF cup if 4 OF games are reqd

Yeah 16 team league and bring in a glasgow and edinburgh cup.

2 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Had that before and it didn't work .crap then would be crap again .

Not a play off in last position. 

2 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

Reminder from 8th May last year,

Dave Cormack, chairman of Aberdeen, said: “The strong feeling of the group was that we must focus all of our energies on emerging from the crisis we face, due to the pandemic, on getting back to playing football safely and getting fans back into grounds as soon as practicably possible. 

“Whilst the group sympathises with the plight of the situation the relegated teams are faced with, it concluded that this is not the right time to consider immediate reconstruction in the midst of a crisis. But the group is willing to engage in and pick up on these discussions once we are through Covid-19.”

It is for this reason, and this reason alone, as a club Hearts should agitate and annoy. The chance was there last year, but there was opposition to change for two reasons - self preservation and to deliberately and maliciously kick us in the teeth. We should act only in our self interest, and if that means going against the crowd, obstructing, indeed doing anything to make our point loud and clear, then so be it. There are clubs out there who are our enemies. We must make it quite clear that this remains the case, both on and off the field.  

Blackshades
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Not a play off in last position. 

Play of or no play off .it didn't work cause everyone complained you were playing the same teams far too often and teams just cancelled each other out .would happen again

4 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Play of or no play off .it didn't work cause everyone complained you were playing the same teams far too often and teams just cancelled each other out .would happen again

Most income generated with an even number of games home and away. McLeish report that was never implemented by the blazers after asking for it. Makes you wonder why. 

Boyces beard

16 or 18 team league would be a no brainer, voting structure changed aswell, will never happen though as the uglies and the broadcasters need there 4 old firm games.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Even if it helps the teams who shafted us, we need to push for reconstruction. There is a power imbalance in Scottish that needs addressed, and we need to lead the fight, as no one else will.

A_A wehatethehibs

Scotland should have 1 professional league of 18 teams, 1 semi pro league below of 12 teams. Promoted team required to turn pro. 

Below that level, non league. With 0

funding from the league. 

Change is needed to shake it up. And clubs should only play each other twice a season. It’s gone stale. 

3fingersreid

Play opposition teams once at home and once away in a 16 team league , better chance of competing with the bigot brothers . 

however I’m only for a reconstruction if the teams at the bottom of their respective leagues drop down , bye bye Brechin , hopefully never to be seen again 

I agree there should be reconstruction but one thing I won’t agree on...whoever is bottom of the premier league this season should be relegated.  No reconstruction escapes for them!

15 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I hate the split, I'd like just a 16 team league with 30 games per season and just have us play cup games on weekends instead of midweek, it might actually help teams competing in europe too if there are no fixture congestions.

I agree, but it's a bit of a compromise in general.  If they are ever going to vote to only play each other twice a season, it'd have to involve an increase in fixtures.  Not a decrease in fixtures AND a decrease in Old Firm visits.

Even to play the same number of games as now, you'd need a 20 team top league.  Which I'd be for, but you are getting close to having part-time teams in the top league every other year depending on promotion.

Such a move would be disastrous for TV money but I think would work well for us (as well as Aberdeen and Hibs).  The smaller Premiership clubs would never vote to cut off the only thing that helps them compete with the bigger non OF clubs though.

Howdy Doody Jambo

A top 20 for me once home and away, 4 times plus cup games is a bit repetitive I say repetitive and let the Glasgow pair play as many times they want for sky TV or whoever that wants to pay for it 

9 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

or

Atlantic style league with international refs..........problems sorted.......👍

Fcuk reconstruction this season let all these clubs who didn’t vote for it last season rot in hell let teams like raith dungdee hamilton Dunfermline every other team die I hope hearts vote no if there is a vote for reconstruction 

It should happen for the 2022/23 season. Decision should be made this summer but it won’t. Sky need their four OF games a season despite the deal being pretty shit for the league.

The rest of us are just numbers to make up the league with the focus always being on the OF. Can’t see that changing anytime soon given TV has all the power over football nowadays. 

Obviously I'm in a minority here but I really like the split. I also think 12 teams in the top league is about right. 

I think the split is pretty exciting. Having an odd number of games between teams doesn't bother me. 

I was in favour of trying 14-14-14 for this season because it solved some immediate problems (mostly the ridiculously unfair demotion/promotion problem). I also think it's the only reasonable alternative to the current system. Could try it for a few years and change back if it doesn't work. 

10 team top league is boring because we play each other too many times. 16 teams has too few games (or too many of you add the split as suggested by others) and has too many pointless games for teams in the mid table. 20 teams adds even more pointless positions mid table and I think is too big a league, would probably end up having a few part time teams in it, which would be a bit embarrassing for a top European league. 

PS I should add that I would definitely change the bottom of league 2, bottom place should be automatically relegated with the playoff between Highland and Lowland leagues to take their place.

Edited by dtgj
Forgot one bit.

The current setup to me is only there to maximize OF gate receipts and sell 4 OF games to broadcasters. I can't see any reconstruction without this being a stipulation.

I think a 16 team league then split would motivate. Resetting points at the split would keep things interesting.

Pre split there would be a motivation from traditionally lower league teams aiming for a top 8 finish to get 4 OF fixtures and maybe the pre split champions receive a small trophy and money to keep it interesting at the top.

After the split then it's all to play for in top and bottom groups as all teams begin again on 0 points.

28 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I agree, but it's a bit of a compromise in general.  If they are ever going to vote to only play each other twice a season, it'd have to involve an increase in fixtures.  Not a decrease in fixtures AND a decrease in Old Firm visits.

Even to play the same number of games as now, you'd need a 20 team top league.  Which I'd be for, but you are getting close to having part-time teams in the top league every other year depending on promotion.

Such a move would be disastrous for TV money but I think would work well for us (as well as Aberdeen and Hibs).  The smaller Premiership clubs would never vote to cut off the only thing that helps them compete with the bigger non OF clubs though.

You're spot on mate, the smaller teams in the league would never vote for it, too desperate for the OF coin.

4 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Obviously I'm in a minority here but I really like the split. I also think 12 teams in the top league is about right. 

I think the split is pretty exciting. Having an odd number of games between teams doesn't bother me. 

I was in favour of trying 14-14-14 for this season because it solved some immediate problems (mostly the ridiculously unfair demotion/promotion problem). I also think it's the only reasonable alternative to the current system. Could try it for a few years and change back if it doesn't work. 

10 team top league is boring because we play each other too many times. 16 teams has too few games (or too many of you add the split as suggested by others) and has too many pointless games for teams in the mid table. 20 teams adds even more pointless positions mid table and I think is too big a league, would probably end up having a few part time teams in it, which would be a bit embarrassing for a top European league. 

PS I should add that I would definitely change the bottom of league 2, bottom place should be automatically relegated with the playoff between Highland and Lowland leagues to take their place.

I tend to agree. The one change that could be made is a play off for the title with the top four involved as happens in rugby. With the vast disparity in resources I think that’s the only chance we’d ever have of having a non-OF champion.

Ex member of the SaS

Told to bolt for this up coming season and a group to look into the best way forward for the next again. Any tinkering this coming season will surely work out to shaft us again. Hopefully we would be safe the following season so they can't get any revenge.

kingantti1874

16 teams 

2 rounds of fixtures 30 games then split (2*8)

1 round of fixtures 7 games then split (4*4) 

3 more games. 40 total

Top 4 title shootout 

Second 4 European shootout

bottom 4 relegation shootout 

uglies keep their 4 fixtures

Slightly more games = more money

more interest points during season 

reduced chance of relegation should mean more young players get the chance

jambo-in-furness
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

It is for this reason, and this reason alone, as a club Hearts should agitate and annoy. The chance was there last year, but there was opposition to change for two reasons - self preservation and to deliberately and maliciously kick us in the teeth. We should act only in our self interest, and if that means going against the crowd, obstructing, indeed doing anything to make our point loud and clear, then so be it. There are clubs out there who are our enemies. We must make it quite clear that this remains the case, both on and off the field.  

This is where I am

Never forget or forgive

Pledge for life

11 minutes ago, dtgj said:

I don't agree with your opinion on the current setup/split, but regarding pointless games - that is what a league is.  If you are mid-table the season fizzles out.  Our current setup leaves pointless games too, especially if a team in 7th/8th is miles ahead, or a team in 5th/6th is miles behind.  A lot of 2nd halves in games are pointless as the game is won, should we put something daft in place to alleviate that too?

Part-time teams in the top league is especially the problem for me (well other than the fact it'll never get voted in anyway).  You could maybe just say that entry to the top (or both) leagues required the team to be full-time. 

Jambo-Jimbo
46 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Play opposition teams once at home and once away in a 16 team league , better chance of competing with the bigot brothers . 

however I’m only for a reconstruction if the teams at the bottom of their respective leagues drop down , bye bye Brechin , hopefully never to be seen again 

And that's the reason it won't happen, they don't want anybody to compete with the bigot brothers, plus there is no way Sky etc will go for any less than 4 bigot fests a season.

14 minutes ago, S Form said:

I tend to agree. The one change that could be made is a play off for the title with the top four involved as happens in rugby. With the vast disparity in resources I think that’s the only chance we’d ever have of having a non-OF champion.

The one change you would make and it would make our setup even more of a joke!!  

We'd have a better chance of a non OF champion if we didn't need to play the OF 8 times a season, and teams with similar resources another 8 times.  And it could be a genuine winner, not some guff superbowl system winner.

8 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I don't agree with your opinion on the current setup/split, but regarding pointless games - that is what a league is.  If you are mid-table the season fizzles out.  Our current setup leaves pointless games too, especially if a team in 7th/8th is miles ahead, or a team in 5th/6th is miles behind.  A lot of 2nd halves in games are pointless as the game is won, should we put something daft in place to alleviate that too?

Part-time teams in the top league is especially the problem for me (well other than the fact it'll never get voted in anyway).  You could maybe just say that entry to the top (or both) leagues required the team to be full-time. 

I appreciate that a split doesn't eliminate pointless games but I can lessen them. It can also create more meaningful games if teams going for the title, Europe or playing to avoid relegation have to play each other rather than teams whose season has fizzled out. 

It doesn't work every year but I think it works well enough. This year obviously doesn't work for the title. There's a bit of interest for Europe but not that much. It does create some interesting games in the bottom 6 though. Would you rather Killie, Ross Country and Hamilton played each other now or played teams like Livingston or St Johnstone who have nothing left to play for? 

And I don't see any parallel with second halfs at all - anything could still happen on the park. In a league sometimes things are mathematically impossible. 

Maroon Sailor

You couldn't get a more perfect time for reconstruction last year.

Season called and no club should have been punished for that.

Backhanders must have been rife for that not to be voted through.

3fingersreid
21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that's the reason it won't happen, they don't want anybody to compete with the bigot brothers, plus there is no way Sky etc will go for any less than 4 bigot fests a season.

Correct , I mean why should Scottish football improve to the detriment of they two ****ers 😡

18 minutes ago, WageThief said:

The one change you would make and it would make our setup even more of a joke!!  

We'd have a better chance of a non OF champion if we didn't need to play the OF 8 times a season, and teams with similar resources another 8 times.  And it could be a genuine winner, not some guff superbowl system winner.

As I said, the title play off operates in rugby and no one there seems to regard it as a joke.

I believe there’s no chance that the four OF games a season will be abandoned. However, it may be that, eventually, there will be discussion on how to make the title more ‘competitive’ and the play off is one idea that might be accepted.

8 minutes ago, dtgj said:

I appreciate that a split doesn't eliminate pointless games but I can lessen them. It can also create more meaningful games if teams going for the title, Europe or playing to avoid relegation have to play each other rather than teams whose season has fizzled out. 

It doesn't work every year but I think it works well enough. This year obviously doesn't work for the title. There's a bit of interest for Europe but not that much. It does create some interesting games in the bottom 6 though. Would you rather Killie, Ross Country and Hamilton played each other now or played teams like Livingston or St Johnstone who have nothing left to play for? 

And I don't see any parallel with second halfs at all - anything could still happen on the park. In a league sometimes things are mathematically impossible. 

Fair enough re second halves.  My point was more that we should be prepared to live with pointless games.  It's inevitable and part of other leagues.  I'd rather have a boring mid-table finish than play Hamilton 4 times a season.

But say we are 3 points clear at the top with 5 games to play.  Do you want us to play Killie, Ross County, Hamilton, Livi, and St Johnstone, or do you want the league to split so we can play the OF, Hibs, Aberdeen, and whoever is 6th?

Summer football is in my opinion the way forward and the country that has the foresight to do it first will coin it in. 

We'll stick with 4 games a season on crap pitches and low crowds and let the Uglies overspend to win it every year then  😃