10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

David McCaig

10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

21 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I get the feeling you are very happy. 

You are either Hibs or have a personal agenda against the club. 

Actively encouraging people to harm the club is out of order. 

I have a personal agenda against the club, because i want the very best, for Heart of Midlothian are you serious?. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Cruyff

You know what leave it as it is, I pray I'm wrong but i know exactly how this is going to play out, I was spot on with Levein and I'll be spot on with Robbie too. 

adambraejambo
22 minutes ago, luckydug said:

That a bit unfair. He only giving a opinion. At end of the day when it comes to me making a decision if I renew or not i will make the decision on my own. Not because of what some random has said on the internet. I disagree with alot of  what Bongo says and I disagree with  alot of what a well known poster who named after our Rb has to say. They both Hearts fans just arguing different views. 

4 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

That a bit unfair. He only giving a opinion. At end of the day when it comes to me making a decision if I renew or not i will make the decision on my own. Not because of what some random has said on the internet. I disagree with alot of  what Bongo says and I disagree with  alot of what a well known poster who named after our Rb has to say. They both Hearts fans just arguing different views. 

Good post. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Neilson

First season, won promotion by huge margin.

Second season, up to third.

Third season, we were second when he left

This season, won promotion with games to spare and massive goal difference advantage.

Shameful record. We demand better than this.

i defended Neilson massively for ages, using the exact same arguments as folk on here will attest.

But the man has now guided this club to three of the most embarrassing results in the history of the club. 

He is a basic manager no better than the basic managers in this league, he plays a basic predictable cautious formation easily countered, he makes the basic in game changes every week which every team knows we are going to make thus rendering them ineffective, he is uninspiring and dull, he clearly cannot coach players or improve them individually as each and every one of our players has regressed this season, he clearly can’t even get them putting in 100% every week, he never takes responsibility for anything. Even his excuses are basic and predictable. He is a man out of his depth. 

As I said I defended him for ages - I was 100% wrong. I now realise it can’t be fixed, once the trust is gone it’s gone. He could win the next 5 games 6-0 and the first bad defeat people will be protesting on the plaza. He has no goodwill left. It’s finished.

12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah I'm hibs 🤔so what do you suggest, because it's quite obvious the fans aren't being listened too?. 

Hearts till i die 👍

Good ! 

Think of another way of lobbying the club then. 

FWIW  I agree about RN. 

He should never have come back to Hearts. Got to question the ambition of a manager who backs down from team he got promoted to step back down to the Championship. 

Looks like he took the easy option as Hearts were always going to win the Championship. 

I just hope the club have Robbie's replacement ready to take over close season. 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

What happens when it's the employees and custodians that are harming the club?

Are they out of order as well?

FWIW.....No one is actively encouraging anyone to harm the club. most have the ability to make our own minds up, and on top of that it's a refusal to have the wool pulled over our eyes with the usual bollocks that has been coming out of Tynecastle.

Neilson Out 

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, pointon said:

For the love of god please empty Bobbie 

Seriously, why are Bob, Rob, Bobbie insults now?

Robert? Rab? 

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I am not voting in the poll as I am in neither the Yes or No camp at this point. I can see the arguments for keeping him but I also understand the nervousness about keeping him from the people who want him to go.

My main concern at this point is we keep him and then two months into next season he has to be sacked or resigns. That would leave us in a really bad situation. It's a definite possibility that could happen because Robbie would be starting next season with a not insignificant number of Hearts supporters not wanting him as manager. That's a difficult situation to be in. If Robbie goes out and buys 6-8 players in the summer then he is gone two months into the season, that's a disaster for Hearts. You're then looking at finding another manager and potentially ANOTHER squad overhaul. Nobody wants that. 

It's a possibility, you're right. But it's also possible that if Robbie is sacked after winning this league, we bring in someone who on paper looks good but turns out to be a failure. So we end up having sacked a guy who just won us promotion 10+ points clear, who knew the strengths and weaknesses of our squad after working with them for 12 months, and replaced him with someone who didn't sign the type of players we needed because he didn't know what we required, and we're struggling to avoid relegation again. Wonderful. I'd argue that's a more likely scenario than Robbie being the total failure some want him to be. 

None of us has a working crystal ball, so nobody can guarantee that any new manager is going to be successful, or that Robbie is going to fail (or succeed). If the people who've worked closely with Robbie for the last 12 months believe he has what it takes, I'd rather go with their judgement than any number of internet warriors on here who have absolutely no idea of what has actually been going on within the club.

Bad Religion
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Robert? Rab? 

Start from the top. 

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If people are unhappy there's one way to show the club, don't buy season tickets cancel everything associated with Hearts, they will soon get the message they need us more. 

It's that simple. 

Who are the ‘they’ you refer to?

We are Hearts!

When you genuinely love Hearts it’s not something that can be cancelled!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah I'm hibs 🤔so what do you suggest, because it's quite obvious the fans aren't being listened too?. 

Hearts till i die 👍

Please whatever you decide to do please don’t kill Hearts before you die!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

No Idle Talk
26 minutes ago, tynewater said:

It's a possibility, you're right. But it's also possible that if Robbie is sacked after winning this league, we bring in someone who on paper looks good but turns out to be a failure. So we end up having sacked a guy who just won us promotion 10+ points clear, who knew the strengths and weaknesses of our squad after working with them for 12 months, and replaced him with someone who didn't sign the type of players we needed because he didn't know what we required, and we're struggling to avoid relegation again. Wonderful. I'd argue that's a more likely scenario than Robbie being the total failure some want him to be. 

None of us has a working crystal ball, so nobody can guarantee that any new manager is going to be successful, or that Robbie is going to fail (or succeed). If the people who've worked closely with Robbie for the last 12 months believe he has what it takes, I'd rather go with their judgement than any number of internet warriors on here who have absolutely no idea of what has actually been going on within the club.

Your first paragraph is fair comment.

The highlighted part I am not as convinced about. Craig Levein far outstayed his welcome at Hearts but "the people who worked closely" with him would not remove him from position. Even when it was clear he needed to go and many of the fans were desperate for him to be relieved of his duties. So it is not always the case that the people within the club are right and the fans are wrong. Sometimes the fans can actually see the problem before the people running the club do.

Kirky Jambo

I’m actually amazed we are now at more than 20% in favour of Neilson being in charge next season. What have these people been watching for the last 6 months

5 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

I’m actually amazed we are now at more than 20% in favour of Neilson being in charge next season. What have these people been watching for the last 6 months

Hibs 

georgiehearts66
1 hour ago, tynewater said:

Balanced common sense. Something sadly lacking in most threads and posts on our manager 

When you have followed watching Hearts for 6 decades, played football until you couldn’t and managed teams you know when a manager is just not up to the job. I’ve seen many superb managers with that skill for picking the right team, using the right system that plays to your players strengths, gets players to give their all and able to change a game by making the right adjustments / substitutions. Man management is a crucial skill and knowing every player inside out is important as respect for all the employees at the club. I’ve met Robbie Neilson a few times at functions and I found him to be very approachable and would give supporters his time.  Of what I’ve seen of Hearts online and TV Hearts have been beaten too easily by teams that you would never believe in a million years. Our team selections, slow build up, lack of ideas, poor passing, poor performances that at times were a shambles that could make you eyes bleed. And for the wages we pay, the facilities for training & coaching there undoubtedly is many things wrong with Hearts FC.  The buck stops with the manager and the owner Ann Budge who employed the manager. If Ann Budge does not sack the management of the team she must step aside so that a fit and proper person should be empowered to take immediate action.

13 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

i defended Neilson massively for ages, using the exact same arguments as folk on here will attest.

But the man has now guided this club to three of the most embarrassing results in the history of the club. 

He is a basic manager no better than the basic managers in this league, he plays a basic predictable cautious formation easily countered, he makes the basic in game changes every week which every team knows we are going to make thus rendering them ineffective, he is uninspiring and dull, he clearly cannot coach players or improve them individually as each and every one of our players has regressed this season, he clearly can’t even get them putting in 100% every week, he never takes responsibility for anything. Even his excuses are basic and predictable. He is a man out of his depth. 

As I said I defended him for ages - I was 100% wrong. I now realise it can’t be fixed, once the trust is gone it’s gone. He could win the next 5 games 6-0 and the first bad defeat people will be protesting on the plaza. He has no goodwill left. It’s finished.

Bringing on Walker in the second half of many games has been ineffective?

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Bringing on Walker in the second half of many games has been ineffective?

😂 I meant his stupid tactic of switching the wingers!! I bet the opposition are really surprised.

walker should be starting games - defo when we are playing GMS as a 10. Another tinker man tactic

iwasthere1954
On 11/04/2021 at 00:24, amadjambo said:

Did you actually read what I said?

Obviously not!

Apologies.  I misread your quote. In fact you said what I was thinking.

Robbie needs to step it up big time. I would've liked to see us blood some youngsters in the Championship so I can only assume we simply don't have much talent coming through...Am I hopeful for next season? Not particularly. Robbie doesn't seem to do cups so we are left looking to the league. If he has finally learned not to put square pegs in round holes then we have hope, but it also requires a big improvement in recruitment. Hopefully Savage will bring that. I'm resigned to giving Neilson the chance but in hope more than expectation, and certainly not excitement...

On 12/04/2021 at 20:24, luckydug said:

He should never have come back to Hearts. Got to question the ambition of a manager who backs down from team he got promoted to step back down to the Championship. 

If I was Rab, I and almost every other hearts fan would probably do the same.

His ambition was to manage a club he loves and has been a huge part of his professional career.

He thinks he can put us in a better position...  I don't think you can question his ambition... Whether his talents match his ambition is another story.

16 minutes ago, Jamtastico said:

If I was Rab, I and almost every other hearts fan would probably do the same.

His ambition was to manage a club he loves and has been a huge part of his professional career.

He thinks he can put us in a better position...  I don't think you can question his ambition... Whether his talents match his ambition is another story.

I'm not sure about Robbie. 

Look at his track record, had Hearts flying in the Championship first time round. After promotion changes the style of the team about a third of the way through the season and becomes more defensive. Then the disastrous cave in against the Hibs. 

Next again season doing well enough in the league but under pressure because of **** up against the Maltese side. 

Decides to remove himself to lower league football in England then getting sacked after his team slide in to relegation trouble. 

Gets the Dundee Utd job who are still one of the bigger clubs in Scotland, they then gain promotion only for Robbie to chuck that in to move down a league again. 

I think he lacks ambition. 

I've not voted in the poll because I'd want to be sure who would be replacing Robbie. 

No point in going frying pan into fire imo. 

9 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'm not sure about Robbie. 

Look at his track record, had Hearts flying in the Championship first time round. After promotion changes the style of the team about a third of the way through the season and becomes more defensive. Then the disastrous cave in against the Hibs. 

Next again season doing well enough in the league but under pressure because of **** up against the Maltese side. 

Decides to remove himself to lower league football in England then getting sacked after his team slide in to relegation trouble. 

Gets the Dundee Utd job who are still one of the bigger clubs in Scotland, they then gain promotion only for Robbie to chuck that in to move down a league again. 

I think he lacks ambition. 

I've not voted in the poll because I'd want to be sure who would be replacing Robbie. 

No point in going frying pan into fire imo. 

Oh yeah, I totally get what you are saying. There was obviously a big challenge with utd, and understand your point.... Actually agree with it in the fact that, it was a great time for him to show what he is capable with a team he built and with a much lower budget.

I guess he was at a crossroads and choose to go back to a club he loves, who also asked him to be a part of a rebuild and ultimately bring back pride and performances we deserve as a club.

Is it a lack of ambition to bring all of that back to us as a club ... I don't think it is, it's a massive challenge... Arguably much bigger than the utd gig long term.

I haven't voted either. Like you said, who is capable to bring that to us... I don't know. But what I do know, there is that it isn't just a Robbie or Budge issue. It's about finding the right combination, and those things can take time - most of the time.

Guest ToqueJambo

Has anyone considered what all this looks like to potential Hearts managers?

We want someone who is thorough, intelligent and does their research right? So they'll do their research or will maybe be doing it right now to get a feel for the club, the fans, how the owner treats managers, etc. If fans "agitate" and "protest" now to get the owner to ditch a manager who got us back to where we should be at the first time of asking - and they bow to that pressure - what image of us as a club will that give potential managers?

Celtic are still managerless. There aren't even serious rumours about contenders. Their fans acted like total dicks this season (even more so than usual), no wonder someone like Eddie Howe might take his time deciding. On paper, someone like him should jump at a job like that - for money and football (mainly Europe) reasons.

Given we'd have replaced two managers in a year during a pandemic, one you could say fair enough his results were very poor and he failed in his main job, but the other did what he'd been asked to do in two competitions and failed in two.

Does that suggest to a potential manager that we are a club (and support base) that will stick by our manager and give them time? The first Robbie Oot thread went up in November last year. That's one month after the season started and we'd made a good start to the season.

We'll still get applicants, possibly good ones and definitely the long-term unemployed, but we might well miss out on some, especially ones doing well in jobs (which are the ones we should be targeting). Worth considering. Of course, we'll always get applicants from former Hearts players, but a lot of folk on here now seem to see that as a negative thing. With the pressure there is now around the job of managing Hearts and the sheer weight of expectation, how much more likely would a new man be to rebuild the squad in the places we need it rebuilt and hit the ground running than Neilson next season (especially given hitting the ground running at the start of seasons has been Neilson's specialism with us and probably the best thing about him as our manager as it's been a big factor in our consistently high league positions under him)?

Edited by ToqueJambo

45 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We want someone who is thorough, intelligent and does their research right? So they'll do their research or will maybe be doing it right now to get a feel for the club, the fans, how the owner treats managers, etc. If fans "agitate" and "protest" now to get the owner to ditch a manager who got us back to where we should be at the first time of asking - and they bow to that pressure - what image of us as a club will that give potential managers?

Celtic are still managerless. There aren't even serious rumours about contenders. Their fans acted like total dicks this season (even more so than usual), no wonder someone like Eddie Howe might take his time deciding. On paper, someone like him should jump at a job like that - for money and football (mainly Europe) reasons.

Given we'd have replaced two managers in a year during a pandemic, one you could say fair enough his results were very poor and he failed in his main job, but the other did what he'd been asked to do in two competitions and failed in two.

Does that suggest to a potential manager that we are a club (and support base) that will stick by our manager and give them time? The first Robbie Oot thread went up in November last year. That's one month after the season started and we'd made a good start to the season.

We'll still get applicants, possibly good ones and definitely the long-term unemployed, but we might well miss out on some, especially ones doing well in jobs (which are the ones we should be targeting). Worth considering. Of course, we'll always get applicants from former Hearts players, but a lot of folk on here now seem to see that as a negative thing. With the pressure there is now around the job of managing Hearts and the sheer weight of expectation, how much more likely would a new man be to rebuild the squad in the places we need it rebuilt and hit the ground running than Neilson next season (especially given hitting the ground running at the start of seasons has been Neilson's specialism with us and probably the best thing about him as our manager as it's been a big factor in our consistently high league positions under him)?

Neilson isn’t the best manager to take Hearts forward. He will be gone by Christmas anyway. Why suffer on until then and through another transfer window. It’s the same as keeping Levein on after the Livi 5-0 game, everyone knew he was done but for whatever reason Ann wanted to continue, which was to the detriment of the whole club. Rinse and repeat with Robbie. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Jamtastico said:

Oh yeah, I totally get what you are saying. There was obviously a big challenge with utd, and understand your point.... Actually agree with it in the fact that, it was a great time for him to show what he is capable with a team he built and with a much lower budget.

I guess he was at a crossroads and choose to go back to a club he loves, who also asked him to be a part of a rebuild and ultimately bring back pride and performances we deserve as a club.

Is it a lack of ambition to bring all of that back to us as a club ... I don't think it is, it's a massive challenge... Arguably much bigger than the utd gig long term.

I haven't voted either. Like you said, who is capable to bring that to us... I don't know. But what I do know, there is that it isn't just a Robbie or Budge issue. It's about finding the right combination, and those things can take time - most of the time.

Dont get me wrong mate I would be delighted if Robbie proves everyone wrong and he gets things sorted. 

Will he even get the chance

though ? 🤔 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

:rofl:

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

probably they will realise they are at a club who’s fans won’t accept a season of abject crap, and cup exits to Alloa and Brora Rangers.

I gather most managers will be confident in their ability to avoid such a massive failure.  If not - they shouldn’t be here anyway

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did not get past the laughable first sentence. Did Ann dictate that to you?

Do you think we’ve missed out on Joachim Low? 😮

18 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein and Stendel were both replaced within 9 months, and we were still able to attract a manager of Bob Neilson's calibre. 😉

He's served his purpose, but the same output from him next season may well see Hearts straight back down.

My money is on McInnes...

If we intend to be a challenging threat to the top 4 next season then we need to find the funds and the right coaching set up, the question is regarding Robbie staying. He is becoming the target of every type of failure Hearts have suffered under previous failures, the club needs to upgrade the mindset on our intentions.

We are currently still in the Championship,which for the most has been extremely difficult to handle, The football on show is shocking to say the least, lacking to show what style of football we intend to play for the next 30 years ,from the roots up.

Robbie has failed to bowl me over, has become a pain in the hole with his thoughts etc. Will take a lot of money to bring in people who want to evolve the football side,this is what we have right now.

This season has shown up a lot of what is wrong within our club, one of them has been Robbie he goes for a lot of reasons. Winning the Championship should mean nothing if you want to be a challenge to the status quo. The way Robbie has us playing makes my skin crawl, going through another season watching tame aimless football.

I don't see how we can get from where we are to a top 4 team next season. We should've been building for next season and beyond, but instead we'll have to assemble an entire squad this summer, with the inevitable time it'll take to bed in.

Realistically, next season, I'd settle for mid table and avoiding the relegation battle, squeaking into the top 6. 

15 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I don't see how we can get from where we are to a top 4 team next season. We should've been building for next season and beyond, but instead we'll have to assemble an entire squad this summer, with the inevitable time it'll take to bed in.

Realistically, next season, I'd settle for mid table and avoiding the relegation battle, squeaking into the top 6. 

We had the chance to re develop and imprint a footballing style into our side, this should of been used for the next 30 years. Missed it due to the mismanagement of the football team, we could of been on the upward step with full support.

The reality is we limped over the line, leaving the support even more divided than before. No one  has a clue what way we are going to set up next year, or when the hand over will take place. What a state to be in, no wonder most can't be arsed to celebrate winning something.

Edited by JDHMFC

Nookie Bear

Need fans back in the ground so we can get our feelings across more visibly. 

It’s not good enough that Budge switches her hearing aid off after every embarrassing defeat. 

On 12/04/2021 at 21:35, Smithee said:

Robert? Rab? 

Surprised they haven't used Boaby TBH. 🤔

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Need fans back in the ground so we can get our feelings across more visibly. 

It’s not good enough that Budge switches her hearing aid off after every embarrassing defeat. 

I actually hate typing this but IMO the best for Hearts long term is to end the season with three embarrassing defeats. There , I said it. :oldsad:

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I actually hate typing this but IMO the best for Hearts long term is to end the season with three embarrassing defeats. There , I said it. :oldsad:

The remaining fixtures are meaningless.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, frankblack said:

In a way yes. In other ways I'm sure Robbie will be trying to ram it down the fans throats as he says. Budge will be trying to scrape back a little bit of feel good factor as cash is her only motivator. I won't be buying a season ticket if he's here next season that's for certain.

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

In a way yes. In other ways I'm sure Robbie will be trying to ram it down the fans throats as he says. Budge will be trying to scrape back a little bit of feel good factor as cash is her only motivator. I won't be buying a season ticket if he's here next season that's for certain.

We could win all our remaining games 6-0 or lose them all, either way it still counts for nothing.

Mars plastic
14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It was unfortunate Coach Neilson thought the same about the Alloa and Brora cup games.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

And there we have it, the Hearts DNA in the Budge era.

What if we win them all 6-0?

Edited by Nookie Bear

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Wow, Meaningless.

Where to start with that comment.

If we want to win anything we need to beat what is in front of us, win all games on the card.

Use the games to show intent, we are due that .

We may as well not bother about next season, if we still have the same garbage.

Meaningless, from Hearts fans.

What a state we are in if that is the mindset.

Bad enough watching a team of zombies every week, if you mean meaningless cause we are shite then i would agree.

You don't mean that though, what a meaningless comment to make on Hearts.