Donald Ford On 1971 Texaco Cup Final

Archie White

Only ever seen action from the 1971 SF away leg at Fir Park. Game was live on the TV, apparently, which was rare in those days.

Don't suppose there's any other Texaco Cup footage of games v. English opposition. Would love to see some.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Archie White

• colinmaroon

• henryheart

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

The only support to overrun Everton's and take over their traditional home end.

Evertonian told me that a number of years back. 

In those wild days of the 70's/80's many, Man U, Newcastle, Leeds etc. tried but all were repelled by Everton's support. 

Not Hearts, though, according to him.

I was only 5 in 1973, obviously not there, so I'm blameless for any cross border misbehaviour back then. 😇

At Everton I’m sure we were in the Park End on the terracing below the stand above .... and I’m sure it was the end Drew Busby scored at ...

during the day it was sunshine but at about 6pm it started raining and was still raining when we left at midnight!

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

At Everton I’m sure we were in the Park End on the terracing below the stand above .... and I’m sure it was the end Drew Busby scored at ...

during the day it was sunshine but at about 6pm it started raining and was still raining when we left at midnight!

Always been interested in the stories of Hearts fans trips in that era, JF.

An old mate of mine was in his late teens back then and went to Goodison, Newcastle, Burnley...and had some stories to tell. 

It was the Anglo/Scottish Cup by the time I was 7/8. I remember my dad going to a game v. Fulham with his mates and the only tie I ever went to myself was Hibs v. Blackburn with a Hibby mate and his dad.

By the time I became a regular supporter right at the end of the 70's the competition was on its knees. Vaguely recall Hearts playing in it in '80/81 but we were knocked out early by Scottish opposition and I didn't attend.

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Always been interested in the stories of Hearts fans trips in that era, JF.

An old mate of mine was in his late teens back then and went to Goodison, Newcastle, Burnley...and had some stories to tell. 

It was the Anglo/Scottish Cup by the time I was 7/8. I remember my dad going to a game v. Fulham with his mates and the only tie I ever went to myself was Hibs v. Blackburn with a Hibby mate and his dad.

By the time I became a regular supporter right at the end of the 70's the competition was on its knees. Vaguely recall Hearts playing in it in '80/81 but we were knocked out early by Scottish opposition and I didn't attend.

Oldham was a riot ... ‘away’ end was uncovered ... excuse me officer which is the home end? Right that’s where we are going, right in the middle Oldham totally squeezed out!

Travelled overnight to Fulham, was going to get the train late evening but managed to get on a supporters bus at last minute ....... 7am London arrival ..... a Sikh wearing a green turban walking passed as we all woke up ... not sure why it was thought he was a hibbee... another night when it was raining!

I think it’s fair to say that Hearts fans were more excited & interested in the Texaco Cup than the English fans ... poor crowds at most away games in England!

1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Oldham was a riot ... ‘away’ end was uncovered ... excuse me officer which is the home end? Right that’s where we are going, right in the middle Oldham totally squeezed out!

Travelled overnight to Fulham, was going to get the train late evening but managed to get on a supporters bus at last minute ....... 7am London arrival ..... a Sikh wearing a green turban walking passed as we all woke up ... not sure why it was thought he was a hibbee... another night when it was raining!

I think it’s fair to say that Hearts fans were more excited & interested in the Texaco Cup than the English fans ... poor crowds at most away games in England!

Great stuff, bud.

:flagwave:

colinmaroon
12 hours ago, martoon said:

Only ever seen action from the 1971 SF away leg at Fir Park. Game was live on the TV, apparently, which was rare in those days.

Don't suppose there's any other Texaco Cup footage of games v. English opposition. Would love to see some.

Even the Well game has disappeared off YouTube.

colinmaroon
14 hours ago, mitch41 said:

St James it was like a Hearts home game. Was there maybe 18,000 there ? so maybe 10,000 Hearts fans lol. Goodison the away end was quite full. 3-4 thousand maybe.

****** referee!!!

colinmaroon
On 11/04/2021 at 20:35, leginten said:

In a decade woefully short of great moments, that Ford header in the final was a magnificent moment. It felt like a huge occasion at the time. Don’t mind admitting that the young teenage me got quite emotional in a very packed Shed.

I was the emotional guy next to you, leaping up and down in a state of ecstasy (you didn't need drugs, the rush at a goal scored on such occasions, augmented by being in a mass hysteria situation has been lost with all-seater stadia) holding onto my glasses, an automatic reaction having already lost 2 pairs on previous occasions.

29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Even the Well game has disappeared off YouTube.

That's a shame. I wonder why.

It was a bit grainy, as I recall, but still...

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, martoon said:

That's a shame. I wonder why.

It was a bit grainy, as I recall, but still...

It was on YouTube as being part of a programme about Scottish football as I recall. It was great seeing it. Brought back great memories of the huge crowd, last minute equaliser and the bedlam at both goals.

To cap off a memorable night, as our double decker bus crept along, it became an easy target for the missiles flung at it. It was a bit cold inside the bus on the way home.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

It was on YouTube as being part of a programme about Scottish football as I recall. It was great seeing it. Brought back great memories of the huge crowd, last minute equaliser and the bedlam at both goals.

To cap off a memorable night, as our double decker bus crept along, it became an easy target for the missiles flung at it. It was a bit cold inside the bus on the way home.

I think I remember the programme. The Only Excuse bloke narrated it, iirc.

Apparently nearly 50k over both legs v. Motherwell. Amazing.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Pat partridge. Who was supposed to be a top class referee

Key word, or English referee favours top English team at home.

Sounds familiar!

59 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Key word, or English referee favours top English team at home.

Sounds familiar!

The surprise was   he came from middlrsborough