Donald Ford On 1971 Texaco Cup Final

Archie White

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

Been posted many times before but its always good to reminisce. 

I believe the fan photo is 'The Rusty Spanner' /Manor branch on their way to Wolverhampton.

Screenshot_20191114_223025.jpg

FB_IMG_1587248956283.jpg

IMG_20190719_160425.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-010704_Facebook.jpg

Is that someone playing a flute in the picture in front of the bus? :lol:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Archie White

• colinmaroon

• henryheart

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's not Manor Hearts at all, it's the Jethro Tull tour bus. Roadie's, entourage...the works.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, martoon said:

It's not Manor Hearts at all, it's the Jethro Tull tour bus. Roadie's, entourage...the works.

Och,  you're just living in the past. :lol:

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Act you're just living in the past. :lol:

Coach pulled by Heavy Horses.

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Coach pulled by Heavy Horses.

They'll require an Aqualung after that. This Was a Benefit for them to Stand Up. I'll stop now because I feel as Thick as a Brick. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They'll require an Aqualung after that. This Was a Benefit for them to Stand Up. I'll stop now because I feel as Thick as a Brick. 

:)

Aye. It was Kinks songs on another thread yesterday, who knows about tomorrow?

Ballitojambo

Had spent most of my youth out the country would have Been around 12 when we played Burnley with Leighton James, I had been going to a few home games, we must have been on a bit of a run because that was the first game I went to where we were hammered, walked out of the old stand with the old man, your a real Hearts man now son says he, always more downs than ups, but nights like that at Tynecastle under the lights bred a love for our club that will always endure. HHGH

36 minutes ago, martoon said:

You'll need to explain to the younger lot what your on about 😄 

Can imagine the Jethro Tull Bus in the

'For the Fans' section of the EEN.. bus leaves at 12, usual stops. 

47 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Naw it's a recorder 🤟😏

17 minutes ago, dannymack said:

You'll need to explain to the younger lot what your on about 😄 

Can imagine the Jethro Tull Bus in the

'For the Fans' section of the EEN.. bus leaves at 12, usual stops. 

😄

Remember it well, danny.

Long, lengthy list when Hearts were away, even in the First Division, and 2 maybe 3 tops, when Hibs were.

Anyone thinking of running a new bus next season is welcome to the Jethro Tull moniker, btw. Don't really do away games myself these days but if I did...

Cannae beat a bit of Ian Anderson and the lads.

Edited by martoon

19 hours ago, Dsjambo said:

Donald Ford was on fire at the Airdrie away game, I think he was the only player to score 4 goals in one game for us until Mark DeVries scored 4 against Hibs over 30yrs later.

Willie Pettigrew and Gary Mackay would disagree with you.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was this memory triggered by hearing Jethro Tull on Radio 3 this morning? Just after a track by Jo Haydn. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Was this memory triggered by hearing Jethro Tull on Radio 3 this morning? Just after a track by Jo Haydn. 

Nah, blame cartoon. :lol:

The Burnley home game was in the best three midweek games in the last fifty years along with Leipzig and the 1-0 Aberdeen game.

The Motherwell away game was also won of the best games I have been at.

The final was good game even though we got beat.

8 hours ago, dannymack said:

Been posted many times before but its always good to reminisce. 

I believe the fan photo is 'The Rusty Spanner' /Manor branch on their way to Wolverhampton.

Screenshot_20191114_223025.jpg

FB_IMG_1587248956283.jpg

IMG_20190719_160425.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-010704_Facebook.jpg

do you mind if I share this top photo on FB as Hugh Curran is a personal friend and am sure his family would like to see it . Cheers 

2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Willie Pettigrew and Gary Mackay would disagree with you.

Clyde away and Inverness Caledonian in SC respectively IIRC 

colinmaroon
On 10/04/2021 at 10:46, Archie White said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/saturday-interview-donald-ford-recalls-hearts-run-to-texaco-cup-final-3191043

A great article in the Scotsman with Donald remembering the Texaco Cup run of 70/71. Any fan of my vintage will have great memories of that tournament in that season. Donald mentions beating Airdrie 5-0 in the first game but does not mention he scored 4 goals at Broomfield that night. The Burnley second leg was one of those terrific Tynecastle midweek floodlight nights and we put in a terrific performance. I remember a flashing Andy Lynch shot - and Ralph Coates comb-over.  The first game against Motherwell brought up a fantastic goal from Fordie at Tynie and the 2nd leg at Fir Park was another great game with an absolutely packed house. On you tube I believe. The Final was a great occasion and played on a sunny evening I remember. What struck me about Wolves was their bright gold strip in the late evening sun and the speed of their play - Wagstaffe in particular. Once again Donald brought the house down with the first goal but they were just too good for us. Happy days.

Typical Hearts, lose at home and win 1-0 away.

Some fun and games after the game as well.

1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

do you mind if I share this top photo on FB as Hugh Curran is a personal friend and am sure his family would like to see it . Cheers 

I think WP also got 4 in a Division 1 game in 1981/82. Either at Clydebank or QotS. Both 1-5 wins. He scored a hat-trick in one and 4 in the other but don't recall which off the top of my head.

Definitely got 4 in an East of Scotland Shield final v. Meadowbank too.

Pettigrew certainly knew where the goal was.

colinmaroon
20 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

2 brilliant nights in my life.Burnley at Tynie under the lights and the packed Fir park.I got in for the ko.

19 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Same here.

Vaguely remember pre-match at Well a fan getting lifted and being manhandled directly across the pitch with police dog in attendance. Don't remember police dogs at home games. Just horses. 

That was some crush.

Fifty years? 

There just isn't anything like the atmosphere of these games in all seated stadia, no matter how good the present day atmosphere is at big games. 

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think WP also got 4 in a Division 1 game in 1981/82. Either at Clydebank or QotS. Both 1-5 wins. He scored a hat-trick in one and 4 in the other but don't recall which off the top of my head.

👍

That away game at Airdrie was also famous for the emergence of a potential new star, winger Drew Young.

But he didn't make much of an impression.

According to London Hearts, he scored two goals in his Hearts career, both against Airdrie https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/youngdrew.html

And at the end of the season he signed for ............... Airdrie.

15 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Blooming auto correct or whatever the damn thing is. :facepalm:

😄

I was at the away leg at Motherwell, still a 16 yr schoolboy at the time. Went through on a British railways supporters special and couldn't believe the amount of fans that were crammed into the ground. At one stage, I ended up on the enclosure roof opposite the main stand. When Fleming equalised, mayhem ensued, when Ford scored carnage ensued.

I was, at that time, a member of Manor Hearts, principally because my Dad who, at that time worked for the post office, and one of his colleagues, a guy with a droopy moustache, called Colin, ran that esteemed outfit. Cannae remember his surname though, can anyone jog my memory?

moving on to the final, 1st leg at Tynecastle, a wee guy ran on to the pitch to ( presumably) attack the Wolves captain Mike Bailey who, was built like a brick shithouse. Turns out it was my cousins boyfriend, a wee bam called Rab Duff, aptly named, needless to say he was pished at the time, the same state he was in when he pulled my cousin no doubt🙄

In a decade woefully short of great moments, that Ford header in the final was a magnificent moment. It felt like a huge occasion at the time. Don’t mind admitting that the young teenage me got quite emotional in a very packed Shed.

3 minutes ago, leginten said:

You guys are at the Wind-Up with all this Jethro Tull stuff, right?

No, I (the witch's) promise.

Archie White
9 minutes ago, leginten said:

You guys are at the Wind-Up with all this Jethro Tull stuff, right?

In your (sweet) dream.

The White Cockade
5 hours ago, martoon said:

Willie got 4 at Shawfield against Clyde Think it was 7-1 

wattie exploited
On 10/04/2021 at 15:01, Roxy Hearts said:

Donald was my favourite player as a kid in the 70s, when we were terrible! Him and Jim Cruickshank made it bearable. I was delighted when he got picked for the Scotland 74 World Cup Team. Great, intelligent player.

this 100 % great player and Cruckie what a goalie he was :rifle:

9 hours ago, martoon said:

😄

Remember it well, danny.

Long, lengthy list when Hearts were away, even in the First Division, and 2 maybe 3 tops, when Hibs were.

Anyone thinking of running a new bus next season is welcome to the Jethro Tull moniker, btw. Don't really do away games myself these days but if I did...

Cannae beat a bit of Ian Anderson and the lads.

Those were the days - checking the EEN, seeing the words 'seats available for non members', and waiting at Haymarket with fingers crossed that we could get on.   

Doctor FinnBarr

A wee bit early for this thread I think but I spoke to Jim Irvine today, I was walking my grandaughter whilst he was walking his dug with I'm guessing his great grandaughter, very very nice man.

7 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Bash on... anything I post is open for everyone, how do you think I got it 😄😇

6 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Willie got 4 at Shawfield against Clyde Think it was 7-1 

Aye.

League Cup group game at the start of '82/83. 

My first ever post. As a lifetime Hearts fan who went to home and away games in the '60s, the last competitive Hearts game I saw was the away game at Burnley. I emigrated to Canada the next week and missed the return match. I went down to Burnley in a bus with about 20 other fans. Still love my Jambos and watch them on Hearts International TV.

This is my first ever post. As a Hearts fan in the '60s who attended both home and away games, the last competitive Hearts game I ever saw was the away game in Burnley. I went down in a bus with about 20 other fans. I emigrated to Canada the next week and missed the return match. I still love my Jambos and watch them on Hearts International TV

11 hours ago, argyjambo said:

I was at the away leg at Motherwell, still a 16 yr schoolboy at the time. Went through on a British railways supporters special and couldn't believe the amount of fans that were crammed into the ground. At one stage, I ended up on the enclosure roof opposite the main stand. When Fleming equalised, mayhem ensued, when Ford scored carnage ensued.

I was, at that time, a member of Manor Hearts, principally because my Dad who, at that time worked for the post office, and one of his colleagues, a guy with a droopy moustache, called Colin, ran that esteemed outfit. Cannae remember his surname though, can anyone jog my memory?

moving on to the final, 1st leg at Tynecastle, a wee guy ran on to the pitch to ( presumably) attack the Wolves captain Mike Bailey who, was built like a brick shithouse. Turns out it was my cousins boyfriend, a wee bam called Rab Duff, aptly named, needless to say he was pished at the time, the same state he was in when he pulled my cousin no doubt🙄

Campbell

10 hours ago, dannymack said:

Bash on... anything I post is open for everyone, how do you think I got it 😄😇

👍🤣

On 11/04/2021 at 02:09, davemclaren said:

Tanned bus windows was a pretty common thing in the 70s and early 80s. 

I remember that on the way back to the M8 too Dave.....nasty, and totally unnecessary stuff.  I still clearly remember all of Donald Ford's goals that night but wasn't Drew Young the supplier of most of the passes?

The old man was friendly with the Texaco sales manager for Scotland who was apparently thrilled with the Scottish League teams doing so well in that first year as it boosted their sales and name profile in Scotland enormously, despite Archie MacPherson endlessly mispronouncing it as the TexAAco Cup.  He finally got it right for the final.....and made an on screen apology for it too.

On 11/04/2021 at 10:09, davemclaren said:

Tanned bus windows was a pretty common thing in the 70s and early 80s. 

I’ve been on a few buses that the windows were tanned when we got back to the bus after a game as well as leaving and on a train while leaving Falkirk Railway Station. 

Just now, mitch41 said:

I’ve been on a few buses that the windows were tanned when we got back to the bus after a game as well as leaving and on a train while leaving Falkirk Railway Station. 

The texaco cup games away to Newcastle Utd, Everton & Crystal Palace are well remembered by me because of the many, let’s say incidents, that happened on these away trips. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

The texaco cup games away to Newcastle Utd, Everton & Crystal Palace are well remembered by me because of the many, let’s say incidents, that happened on these away trips. 

How old were you then Mitch?

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

I remember the fights between the fans at Newcastle. 

We were in the lead up until late in the game when Malcolm. MacDonald their star striker scored a blatantly offside goal to take the tie to ET, we eventually went out on a penalty shoot out. 

The large Hearts support were not happy and the bottles cans started to fly. Hearts fans were then involved in battles with Newcastle fans, for the ordinary fans who were not into fighting it was all a bit scary. 

cauther col

Had a fantastic night beating Everton down in Liverpool. Fans all spilled out to the local pubs what a great atmosphere sang our Hearts out all night long. Sure it was Busby scored from a Prentice corner if I remember.  Memorable night. Oldham away was good too.

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

How old were you then Mitch?

Born in 1953, the Newcastle game I was just weeks short of 18, drove down.

Coburg Bar bus to Everton and train down to London a few days before the game and Bonnyrigg Hearts gave us a lift back in the morning after the game and they wouldn’t take a penny, good lads.

8 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Just before my time. What kind of numbers did we take to Goodison and St James' Park? 

St James it was like a Hearts home game. Was there maybe 18,000 there ? so maybe 10,000 Hearts fans lol. Goodison the away end was quite full. 3-4 thousand maybe.

Edited by mitch41

3 hours ago, luckydug said:

I remember the fights between the fans at Newcastle. 

We were in the lead up until late in the game when Malcolm. MacDonald their star striker scored a blatantly offside goal to take the tie to ET, we eventually went out on a penalty shoot out. 

The large Hearts support were not happy and the bottles cans started to fly. Hearts fans were then involved in battles with Newcastle fans, for the ordinary fans who were not into fighting it was all a bit scary. 

After MacDonald cored the offside (10 yards off) goal the Hearts fans rioted bottles can and the kitchen sink were thrown and all the players went to the tunnel area except Cruikshank who sheltered on the corner of his net in his goals. What a night. Cheated by a dishonest official.

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

St James it was like a Hearts home game. Was there maybe 18,000 there ? so maybe 10,000 Hearts fans lol. Goodison the away end was quite full. 3-4 thousand maybe.

Cheers. Some support. 👍😎 🇱🇻

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

The only support to overrun Everton's and take over their traditional home end.

Evertonian told me that a number of years back. 

In those wild days of the 70's/80's many, Man U, Newcastle, Leeds etc. tried but all were repelled by Everton's support. 

Not Hearts, though, according to him.

I was only 5 in 1973, obviously not there, so I'm blameless for any cross border misbehaviour back then. 😇