"Delighted to ram it down their throats."

tartofmidlothian

43 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

If you read my earlier posts I said that 90%+ of the blame was with Levein and Ann who left Craig essentially unsupervised for so many years.

It was unavoidable that he was unsupervised - the silly woman made him Director of Football, Full Board Director and First Team Coach!

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• graygo

• kingantti1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Why?

Dundee Utd and hibs have managed to push on. We sold 1000’s of season tickets this season and no doubt will do the same next year. 
We lost out on prize money - a few thousand for a bottom 6 in the SPL - and European football wasn’t happening either. 

TV money, yes. How much was lost? I suspect we lost more with the failed legal action. 

Not to mention the compensation we paid DU......

3 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Here’s how demotion affects us for the next few seasons at least

1. Lower share of the SPFL pool including the TV revenues that make up that pool. Most of the money the BBC paid for covering the many games we played this season will end up with Rangers and Celtic.

2. Fewer matches this season so less opportunities for PPV and sponsorship income

3. Ongoing liabilities next season for this season’s season tickets due to fewer games played.

4. Debt service (to Bidco) costs to cover the wider gap

5. We started off with one of the highest cost bases of any club in Scotland so it’s natural that relegation affected us much more heavily than it would be affected St Mirren for example.

By the way I’m more embarrassed about losing to Brora than St Mirren (although I suspect time has been a healer for some regarding what happened at Love Street). I know what caused more damage to the club though and it wasn’t that performance in the middle of a hurricane in the Highlands.

We got £429k as a parachute payment, a £500k government grant, and obviously the championship prize money.

I can't find the prize money for this year, but based on last year's we'll end up with more money than all of the bottom 6 teams when these things are taken into account.

People are free to speculate where this team would finish in the premiership!

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

The season ticket debacle was self inflicted with the ''guaranteed 18 games in your seat'' marketing strategy.

It was 4 fewer home games, and the money spinning fixtures would be televised anyway, so no ppv.

21 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

We got £429k as a parachute payment, a £500k government grant, and obviously the championship prize money.

I can't find the prize money for this year, but based on last year's we'll end up with more money than all of the bottom 6 teams when these things are taken into account.

People are free to speculate where this team would finish in the premiership!

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

The season ticket debacle was self inflicted with the ''guaranteed 18 games in your seat'' marketing strategy.

It was 4 fewer home games, and the money spinning fixtures would be televised anyway, so no ppv.

The parachute figure I gave above is wrong, I think we got 300k, and would have got another 125k if we didn't come straight back up.

Glamorgan Jambo
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

It was unavoidable that he was unsupervised - the silly woman made him Director of Football, Full Board Director and First Team Coach!

Yes and no. There's a difference between delegation to an employee and abdication which is what Ann was guilty of as his boss. A few more discussions around the processes he used (for example to sign players) and the organisational structure in the football dept would have thrown up a lot of red flags. The folks she brought in that she knew from earlier (eg Ann Park) probably got the benefit of too much guidance from Ann and Craig was just left to spend his time however he wished.

Glamorgan Jambo
22 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The parachute figure I gave above is wrong, I think we got 300k, and would have got another 125k if we didn't come straight back up.

Fair points. We're probably around a million down in prize money assuming we would have finished 6th if we hadn't been chucked out. there are limits on the number of times cameras can be in grounds so there would have been most of the extra 5 or 6 home matches to sell PPV at. And whatever we got for match sponsors etc  for this season

Yes and no. There's a difference between delegation to an employee and abdication which is what Ann was guilty of as his boss. A few more discussions around the processes he used (for example to sign players) and the organisational structure in the football dept would have thrown up a lot of red flags. The folks she brought in that she knew from earlier (eg Ann Park) probably got the benefit of too much guidance from Ann and Craig was just left to spend his time however he wished.

My point is appointing ONE MAN in the joint role of Full board Director, Director of Football and First Team coach was crass stupidity by Budge!

Fair points. We're probably around a million down in prize money assuming we would have finished 6th if we hadn't been chucked out. there are limits on the number of times cameras can be in grounds so there would have been most of the extra 5 or 6 home matches to sell PPV at. And whatever we got for match sponsors etc  for this season

That’s some assumption we would finish 6th....

On 10/04/2021 at 14:15, Rudy T said:

I’m late to the party but I hope your not inferring Doddie was a shite manager? Very few have done as much for Hearts as that man, he took us from a struggling yo-yo club and put us firmly back where we belong. 

AM & JJ are IMO the only two managers in our history who should be given the keys to Tynecastle.

definately not those are my two favourite Hearts managers as well :)

Auldbenches
23 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

definately not those are my two favourite Hearts managers as well :)

Doddie is the man.  He showed a lot of us young Hearta fans how big a club we could be.  A pivotal man in our history and more of a legend than some who get that status.  He does get the credit he deserves when mentioned on here, but not as much compared to others.  Levein gets the legend tag more than him in here   

Edited by Auldbenches

colinmaroon
On 10/04/2021 at 14:15, Rudy T said:

I’m late to the party but I hope your not inferring Doddie was a shite manager? Very few have done as much for Hearts as that man, he took us from a struggling yo-yo club and put us firmly back where we belong. 

AM & JJ are IMO the only two managers in our history who should be given the keys to Tynecastle.

In our history, does that mean our history only started in the 80's?

Tommy Walker is head and shoulders our best manager.

2 league titles, four League Cups, 1 Scottish Cup and all the while dealing with a board that kept limiting him by selling irreplacable star players.

If MacKay and Alex Young had not been sold, when we were at the peak, they would have been the foundation for more success in the 60's.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 10/04/2021 at 06:15, Rudy T said:

Doddie in particular was given time to do that and he started quite slowly. Today's fans would be calling him a Mercer puppet and calling for his head for failing to get us promoted and then getting promoted without winning the league. It wasn't all an upwards trajectory under Doddie. We finished 5th then went back to 7th before things clicked in 85/86. Many of the same players who had us in 7th were the players who almost won us the title.

The thing with Doddie was that we did perform quite well in cups even when not doing great in the league. The cups have been Neilson's kryptonite on the whole and have given his detractors the ammunition they need.

JJ also needed time to build the team that eventually won the cup, but JJ is our best ever manager IMO. Doddie's a better example as a guy who learned his manager trade with us, and was given plenty time to do it. He was no stellar manager though. Punting up the line from kick-off was about as sophisticated as his tactics got, he was just a good fit for Hearts at that time. Mind you football was very different back then, as were football fans.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Doddie in particular was given time to do that and he started quite slowly. Today's fans would be calling him a Mercer puppet and calling for his head for failing to get us promoted and then getting promoted without winning the league. It wasn't all an upwards trajectory under Doddie. We finished 5th then went back to 7th before things clicked in 85/86. Many of the same players who had us in 7th were the players who almost won us the title.

The thing with Doddie was that we did perform quite well in cups even when not doing great in the league. The cups have been Neilson's kryptonite on the whole and have given his detractors the ammunition they need.

JJ also needed time to build the team that eventually won the cup, but JJ is our best ever manager IMO. Doddie's a better example as a guy who learned his manager trade with us, and was given plenty time to do it. He was no stellar manager though. Punting up the line from kick-off was about as sophisticated as his tactics got, he was just a good fit for Hearts at that time. Mind you football was very different back then, as were football fans.

By 'best ever' I assume you mean best in 'your lifetime' 🤔

As Colin said Tommy Walker was the most successful manager in our history. 

In horse racing terms Tommy Walker wins by a distance 😏

3 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

In our history, does that mean our history only started in the 80's?

Tommy Walker is head and shoulders our best manager.

2 league titles, four League Cups, 1 Scottish Cup and all the while dealing with a board that kept limiting him by selling irreplacable star players.

If MacKay and Alex Young had not been sold, when we were at the peak, they would have been the foundation for more success in the 60's.

Tommy Walker is no longer with us so we can hardly give him the keys can we?

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

The current incumbent is more Tommy Cooper than Tommy Walker.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
11 hours ago, Sherbet said:

His tactics were far more enjoyable than what we are watching now!!

that poster is best ignored - will say literally anything to defend neilson

posts that often that despite  the theme being the same every time still manages to contradict themselves multiple times on the detail

at least srb is (very) occasionally iquite funny :)

colinmaroon
12 hours ago, Rudy T said:

So you can award a Victoria Cross posthumously but not the keys.