Hearts U18s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

All three Hearts U16 players start in today's Victory Shield game against Northern Ireland which kicks of at 2pm. 

Live stream 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Hesh

• Lfhearts

• jamboinglasgow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow
On 21/10/2022 at 22:07, Footballfirst said:

Not the strongest Hearts line up with 5 x U16s starting, but ultimately a comfortable win all the same.

Wilkie

Gillies, Smutek, Walker, Drysdale

Crookston, Chisholm, Stevenson, Duncan

Wilson, Plesiewicz

Subs Anderson, Beveridge, Ross, Muirhead, Pilch, Allan, Silwinski

The player on the bench, Silwinski, I see was on trial and now signed for the U16s

• 3 weeks later...
Footballfirst

It will be interesting what sort of team they put out in the Youth Cup against Motherwell next Friday.

It looked for a while that they would be able to field a full strength side due the B Team not having a game, due to it being Scottish Cup weekend.  However, the B Team is now scheduled to play the postponed game against Dalbeattie next Saturday.

The decision for the coaching staff, is whether or not they view the Youth Cup as more important that a Lowland League game. 

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It will be interesting what sort of team they put out in the Youth Cup against Motherwell next Friday.

It looked for a while that they would be able to field a full strength side due the B Team not having a game, due to it being Scottish Cup weekend.  However, the B Team is now scheduled to play the postponed game against Dalbeattie next Saturday.

The decision for the coaching staff, is whether or not they view the Youth Cup as more important that a Lowland League game. 

Personally I'd prioritise the Youth Cup as that's a chance to win a trophy, but as you say it will be interesting to see how we decide to play this.

Footballfirst
On 19/11/2022 at 23:29, RobNox said:

Personally I'd prioritise the Youth Cup as that's a chance to win a trophy, but as you say it will be interesting to see how we decide to play this.

Game being played at East Kilbride this afternoon.

Losing 0-5 at half time apparently.  

Cowie, Friel, Nair, Smutek, Anderson; Stevenson, Crookston, Duncan; Hambrook, Wilson, Burn

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Cowie, Friel, Nair, Smutek, Anderson; Stevenson, Crookston, Duncan; Hambrook, Wilson, Burn

Full time 0-6

😟

jamboinglasgow
30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thats a very young team, suggests they see the priority is the B team over the youth cup.

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats a very young team, suggests they see the priority is the B team over the youth cup.

Personally I find it quite sad to prioritise a B team league game against the bottom side over a cup tie where we could be competitive.

I'd suggest that competing in a cup tie would be better for the development of those eligible to play in it.  (Paris, Rathie, Drysdale, Tait, McLuckie, Ross and Sandilands all eligible, although one or two may be injured )

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Personally I find it quite sad to prioritise a B team league game against the bottom side over a cup tie where we could be competitive.

I'd suggest that competing in a cup tie would be better for the development of those eligible to play in it.  (Paris, Rathie, Drysdale, Tait, McLuckie, Ross and Sandilands all eligible, although one or two may be injured )

I guess we have some sort of obligation to take all Lowland League games seriously if we want to be in it in future. Tomorrow’s game is important not just to Dalbeattie but also to Edinburgh University who are only just above them in the league. Tait, Rathie and McLuckie seem to have been part of the LL squad and regular starters all season.

Disappointing today but the U-18 team we put out was the same as the one that drew 3-3 with Rangers last week (and indeed were within seconds of winning 3-2). Maybe our lads had an off-day today or maybe Motherwell are a good team as they often have been over the years at this level. 

Malinga the Swinga

Luckily for us Hearts coaching staff don't care what you believe or suggest.

You are a guy who watches football with no professional coaching or football development qualifications, that's all.

Let's leave it to those who are paid to decide these things and stick to watching games.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I guess we have some sort of obligation to take all Lowland League games seriously if we want to be in it in future. Tomorrow’s game is important not just to Dalbeattie but also to Edinburgh University who are only just above them in the league. Tait, Rathie and McLuckie seem to have been part of the LL squad and regular starters all season.

Disappointing today but the U-18 team we put out was the same as the one that drew 3-3 with Rangers last week (and indeed were within seconds of winning 3-2). Maybe our lads had an off-day today or maybe Motherwell are a good team as they often have been over the years at this level. 

Either, or both the Youth Cup and LL games could have been rescheduled to other dates (as other clubs have done).

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You are a guy who watches football with no professional coaching or football development qualifications, that's all.

Let's leave it to those who are paid to decide these things and stick to watching games.

Zzzzzzz!

I take it that you will also refrain from commenting on any tactics or team selection going forward.

7 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thankfully Footballfirst isn't making his comments to the Hearts coaching staff.

He's making his comments to a fans forum. A fans forum who have consistently shown  appreciation for his input and contributions over the years as he keeps a very close eye on the youth set up, that we all cannot follow with the same passion as he does.

His posts in these threads are warmly welcomed in these threads. Shame the same can't be said of yours.

1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Thankfully Footballfirst isn't making his comments to the Hearts coaching staff.

He's making his comments to a fans forum. A fans forum who have consistently shown  appreciation for his input and contributions over the years as he keeps a very close eye on the youth set up, that we all cannot follow with the same passion as he does.

His posts in these threads are warmly welcomed in these threads. Shame the same can't be said of yours.

FF is an absolute star poster.  The vest majority on here would agree without a doubt.  Sorry to be negative but he more than compensates for the non existent coverage of the age grades on the Hearts website.

14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Seriously? FF is probably one if the most respected and knowledgeable posters on this forum. I personally massively appreciate and enjoy his coverage and knowledge of the youth groups.

gorgierulesapply88
On 25/11/2022 at 17:47, Malinga the Swinga said:

You believe a football badge defines someones football intellect? Or how well they could coach a team/player?

You're wrong if so.

One of the best gaffers/coaches in Edinburgh 72 years old now, Micky Lawson couldn't manage/coach anymore because he didn't have SFA accredited coaching qualifications! Auld Micky is still kicking a baw aswell!

Infact I can probably include myself in that bracket aswell. 

Edited by gorgierulesapply88

On 25/11/2022 at 17:47, Malinga the Swinga said:

Believe me there’s plenty professional coaching or football development qualifications who don’t know what they’re doing. 

19 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

You believe a football badge defines someones football intellect? Or how well they could coach a team/player?

You're wrong if so.

One of the best gaffers/coaches in Edinburgh 72 years old now, Micky Lawson couldn't manage/coach anymore because he didn't have SFA accredited coaching qualifications! Auld Micky is still kicking a baw aswell!

Infact I can probably include myself in that bracket aswell. 

Is that the Micky Lawson who used to play for Stirling Albion in the early 70s ? 

I seem to recall that he was one of Scotland's  top league scorers at one time (albeit in the old Div 2).    A Hearts man as well, I think.  

gorgierulesapply88
22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Is that the Micky Lawson who used to play for Stirling Albion in the early 70s ? 

I seem to recall that he was one of Scotland's  top league scorers at one time (albeit in the old Div 2).    A Hearts man as well, I think.  

Aye, that's the very man. He has his own blog. mickeylawson | My Thoughts on Football, Family and Life in General (wordpress.com)

Still kicks a baw on a Tuesday afternoon in amongst his travelling to Santa Ponsa. 

35 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Aye, that's the very man. He has his own blog. mickeylawson | My Thoughts on Football, Family and Life in General (wordpress.com)

Still kicks a baw on a Tuesday afternoon in amongst his travelling to Santa Ponsa. 

Cheers for the info and link. 👍  Had a read at his blog - he's quite a good writer, more relevant and observant than some professional journos imo.    You can tell he loves the camaraderie  with ex-pros too - he sounds  a top guy. 

15 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

My Hubby mate who is at the game says Hibs are 3 -0 up.

Not sure if he is at it or not.

I pray that your hubby is wrong

Footballfirst
41 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

5-0. Another penalty.

Full time 5-0.

It will have been a very young side once again, as a few of the regulars will be required for the B Team game against Tranent tomorrow to cover for those who are with the first team in Spain.

Full time 5-0.

It will have been a very young side once again, as a few of the regulars will be required for the B Team game against Tranent tomorrow to cover for those who are with the first team in Spain.

Usual practice of players playing a level or two up. Good experience for them.  

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Usual practice of players playing a level or two up. Good experience for them.  

Good experience playing up if they are integrated into an already established line-up.  They need to get a winning mentality at some point, but losing heavily in successive weeks does nothing for confidence.  The U18s have won only one league game out of twelve this season, and that was in August. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Good experience playing up if they are integrated into an already established line-up.  They need to get a winning mentality at some point, but losing heavily in successive weeks does nothing for confidence.  The U18s have won only one league game out of twelve this season, and that was in August. 

I agree but due to other games the u18’s last two games have been more like an u16 team so yes good experience just at the young guys would have learned a lot in 20 minutes in Spain today.  Winning mentality does need to become the way of things soon for them though. Lowland League should be that point, probably reserve league next season. 

Edited by soonbe110

If we get some certainty about a longer term future in the Lowland then we could recruit a few more players for the age group.

At present, we don't have the player numbers to competitively support a B team, U18s, whist loaning some players out and allowing players to step up to the first team.

I would hope that the Lowland League make a more concrete decision (one way or the other) on the inclusion of B teams going forward. Not knowing if they will continue for more seasons makes it difficult to justify bringing in lots of players at that age.

Footballfirst
9 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

If we get some certainty about a longer term future in the Lowland then we could recruit a few more players for the age group.

At present, we don't have the player numbers to competitively support a B team, U18s, whist loaning some players out and allowing players to step up to the first team.

I would hope that the Lowland League make a more concrete decision (one way or the other) on the inclusion of B teams going forward. Not knowing if they will continue for more seasons makes it difficult to justify bringing in lots of players at that age.

Last weekend, I was speaking to someone from the SFA (an ex SPFL and LL coach), who had been discussing the B teams with his boss. They both felt that neither Celtic nor Rangers were getting the best out of player development in the LL by rolling over the opposition, as their best players should be playing at a higher level.

They both thought that Hearts approach of fielding a mix of U17s/U18s along with a few older lads was better.