Calum Morrison

Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Scouting means looking at him.  Let’s wait to see if they want to sign him. 

Agree with this.

Stood on the sidelines watching him in St Andrews for Dundee Utd v Hearts (reserves), without doubt had pace and was a moaning so and so. Tbf put in some decent crosses in for Kean? (apologies I know his name is incorrect but guy from Ireland upfront, think had a spell at Pars after us, down south then maybe Falkirk). I was standing close to Andy Kirk at the time and he said to his bench FFS how many chances does he need!! Laid on very decent balls for him.  His crossing in the First team was not replicated unfortunately. 

I did think at the time a bit too soon to release if being honest as still had time to progress.

Edited by Beave1874

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

We are so hard and critical of youngsters at Hearts it's no wonder they get the stuffing knocked out of them

Indeed. We complain about young players not being given a chance, but when they do get a chance they a written off far too quickly. That was part of the problem with Morrison, his confidence was destroyed.

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

it’s not exactly hard is it. The whole club is an absolute shambles. 

pretty much spot on.  Just a kick in the balls after kick in the balls at the moment.

Brutal

41 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I don’t think it’s the fans that are knocking the stuffing out of them if that’s who you are pointing the finger at.

Come off it some of our young players over the last 5 or 6 years get absolutely slaughtered.Management should notice though and take them out the firing line though when form is dipping.

CloustonHMFC
58 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

With better coaching could we have improved him as a player? 

If my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle.

All the best to him but not one of the many decisions I felt we got wrong. Didn't rate him, but good on him if he's improved to attract that sort of interest

Saint Jambo

I think we missed a trick this season not relying more on young players. At the same time, let's not kid ourselves that there was a lot of evidence that Morrison was worth persevering with. He had played enough games that a lot of managers in Scotland would have been aware of him. When he left the best he could do was a one year contract in league one. Doesn't suggest there were a raft of managers, coaches and scouts that disagreed with our assessment.

Good to hear he has improved. One of the downsides to investment in an academy is that there will always be late bloomers and players who just need a change of club to kick on.

I would certainly stuck with Morrison ahead of Henderson (or Moore) but not going to pretend I was particularly upset when he left or that I was unhappy we were trying to bring in better.

Irving is a year younger than Morrison and made more of an impact, yet while the club seem keen to keep him, lots of fans have posted that they would be happy for him to leave. A fair dose of hypocrisy.

Nookie Bear

I have said on other threads that he would have been decent for us this season. 

We also have to remember that he is still only 21 and was a regular for us as a teenager so it was always likely he would struggle at some point. But he should have been persevered with imo 

Was he the next John Colquhoun? Not even close. 
Could he have been developed into an effective wide player? I think so, yes. 

HillmanHearts

Great pace and energy. Let down a bit by his final delivery and finishing which was often rushed. But there was potential and good foundations to work on for a decent coaching team.

Ach well ! Another one eh ? 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Thats the pertinent question - relevant to Morrison and Moore. 

But when you consider their manager (CL) was a defender and his assistant (McPhee) never played at a decent level anywhere, it's not surprising that any of our promising attacking players aren't getting proper coaching.  The idea that RN (another defender .... who was hopeless at crossing) could coach  an improvement in a winger is fanciful at best.

23 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

If my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle.

CB0338E3-2927-4465-A3BC-559BD2E84553.jpeg

The last one summed up some of his crosses.    Head down.    Not a bad thing if you want to focus.    

https://completesoccerguide.com/soccer-crossing/

Bonus link.    That should help anyone that can't cross.   

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/callumn-morrison-reveals-key-clause-falkirk-contract-he-explains-hearts-exit-2939410

Explains his contract at Falkirk and the motivation he's getting from it.   Also mentions the other players are of good quality that help his game.   

His injuries at hearts put him to the rear of pecking order.    But I agree his successors didn't exactly do great.   

I thought Mcdonald was better FWIW.   Another one with injuries. 

Think Levein wasted more than he made, but he knows best!  I think he should get more time on radio Scotland to tell us all what's wrong and how he'd put it right!

He  took the piss out of the club, owner and fans for too long and wasted a good few careers in the process- says everything thats wrong about the Scottish football scene that this muppet still gets air time! 

He was a one trick pony that couldn't cross a ball to save himself.  Was quite happy he was moved on.  Fair play to him if he gets a move south. 

4 minutes ago, Bainy said:

He was a one trick pony that couldn't cross a ball to save himself.  Was quite happy he was moved on.  Fair play to him if he gets a move south. 

So will a club down south sign him because he’s a one trick pony and can’t cross the ball? 🤔

Glamorgan Jambo

Would be utterly shocked if there was any substance to this. scouts from English clubs don’t watch Leagues 1 and 2

in Scotland. Plenty of them do watch U21 and age group football so Morrison would be a known quantity.

Be great if I was wrong but can’t see it.

13 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Would be utterly shocked if there was any substance to this. scouts from English clubs don’t watch Leagues 1 and 2

in Scotland. Plenty of them do watch U21 and age group football so Morrison would be a known quantity.

Be great if I was wrong but can’t see it.

There's only been about 12 games this season too, I've not actually seen any credible links but sounds absolutely mental to be scouting him.

Bazzas right boot

The frustration is not letting players like Robinson, MacDonald, Morris on etc go it is that we haven't replaced them with any better. 

These players weren't good enough for us so they left for first team football and improved a bit as they got older, bit none have been missed. 

We haven't released one player that was playing well for us. Replacing them with jobbie heads has been the issue. 

A bit Ironic as well that CL gave these players a good bit of game time and he gets criticism fir not looking towards youth. 

Lone Striker
34 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The last one summed up some of his crosses.    Head down.    Not a bad thing if you want to focus.    

https://completesoccerguide.com/soccer-crossing/

Bonus link.    That should help anyone that can't cross.   

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/callumn-morrison-reveals-key-clause-falkirk-contract-he-explains-hearts-exit-2939410

Explains his contract at Falkirk and the motivation he's getting from it.   Also mentions the other players are of good quality that help his game.   

His injuries at hearts put him to the rear of pecking order.    But I agree his successors didn't exactly do great.   

I thought Mcdonald was better FWIW.   Another one with injuries. 

Amazing the  treasures that lurk on YouTube.   Looks like you're an ideal candidate for the recruitment analyst job.   👍

:greggy:

He was utter pony the majority of the time.

Derby and QPR will soon see that if a miracle happens and he signs for either of them.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Had all the enthusiasm and off-the-cuff creativity smashed out of him (the Levein way). Now enjoying his football and being scouted by decent English teams. Good luck to the boy. Can't wait until this era is over tbh. 

41 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Amazing the  treasures that lurk on YouTube.   Looks like you're an ideal candidate for the recruitment analyst job.   👍

:greggy:

Watch on Friday as the crosses are immaculately, almost suspiciously different.   I'll check the hits that link got.    

:welldone:

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Ignore the above please, was thanking @whatever to naming Keena. No idea how to delete ffs.

Anyway, we have some decent prospects McGill, Smith, Logan, Stones and I am sure there are plenty of others. My guess is, where McGill is concerned, the plan was waiting to tie up the league and let some of the youth join in. McGill been on bench and played some early league/friendly games. Needs a proper pathway and I expect that what JJ and Savage will be trying to organise (push) this to others in the background. I am defo not ITK for the record, just my opinion. JJ said in an online hospitality I was party to saying we can't afford to have another Doig leave the club.... 

I thought the release of MacDonald was a big mistake and I know he has had major injuries since, that's just very bad luck. I also think Cochrane, despite what folk think, will turn out to a missed chance. He was only 16 when he broke thru and was hailed as the next best thing, as a father of a 14 yr old who has been training with a decent league club .. The kids at this age can't comprehend the magnitude. Its one thing playing in a park with parents surrounding you, quite another in a packed stadium. Add to that the adulation as you've made it to then being dropped like a stone. I may also add not setting it alight at Montrose, still a wee laddie. 

I have hopes for the likes of Chris Hamilton, who has played at most levels now. 

We need clear management at the club regarding our young players and not just play at it. 

Its difficult, to be honest, to have good seasoned pros's with youth at our club or most. Top European leagues aside.  

Best season I seen the mix was when we were relegated (youth and seasoned pros). However, we had a 15 point deduction and if not would've stayed in the Premier and the Hoberinan relegated auto. Was a very decent bite to that team and Locke was essential to that..PHM proper ..... We were all galvanised.

Then from the promotion of the Campionshit that year we had...

Trying to pick out the guys that played that season (maybe a game or so or may not have)

Hamilton

McGhee

McHattie

McKay

Paterson

Smith

Nicholson

Robinson

Carrick

King 

Oliver

Walker

That's a helluva more than now regardless

Take care lads... Only Alloa the morn 

Clint Eastwood Boxing GIF by Narcissistic Abuse Rehab

I didn't think he was too bad, thought he had a bit of pace which we could really be doing with at the minute, i found it bizzarre that we replaced him with frear/roberts etc who have done absolutely nout for us.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The frustration is not letting players like Robinson, MacDonald, Morris on etc go it is that we haven't replaced them with any better. 

These players weren't good enough for us so they left for first team football and improved a bit as they got older, bit none have been missed. 

We haven't released one player that was playing well for us. Replacing them with jobbie heads has been the issue. 

A bit Ironic as well that CL gave these players a good bit of game time and he gets criticism fir not looking towards youth. 

Because his man management is appalling, whether it’s a 17 year old talent or a foreign striker struggling to settle on. 

10 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Best player I've ever seen in a Hearts shirt, how he was let go is beyond me, he was probably just to hard and strong minded to work with Jobby Nilsuns fairies. 

Another nail in the coffin of an omnishambles of a club.

Can't wait to get back into Tynecastle to level a tirade of abuse at everyone. 

Litteraly shaking in anticipation.

I don’t think you have any concept of youth development. There’s a list of young players as long as my arm in the last 6 years who have made it to the first team, done okay and then hit the wall through the way they were handled. It goes right back to Holt and Robinson to Cochrane, mac Donald and quite a few others. None of them superstars but quite a few I’d rather see in a Hearts jersey than some of the current imposters and holiday makers. Our youth development is an embarrassing shambles. 

Edited by JimmyCant

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t think you have any concept of youth development. There’s a list of young players as long as my arm in the last 6 years who have made it to the first team, done okay and then hit the wall through the way they were handled. It goes right back to Holt and Robinson to Cochrane, mac Donald and quite a few others. None of them superstars but quite a few I’d rather see in a Hearts jersey than some of the current imposters and holiday makers. Our youth development is an embarrassing shambles. 

Spot on. It’s not really about Morrison in isolation,  it’s about the dross shite bags that get brought in. Amankwaa, Steven Maclean, Aidy White, Frear there’s a list as long as your arm of absolute shite journeymen to pad out the squad who when called on to play, have been equally as bad if not worse than a youth player. 

For me we should have a squad that is 50% youth players then conserve the resources and sign a smaller number of real better quality guys.

Harry Potter
7 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Had all the enthusiasm and off-the-cuff creativity smashed out of him (the Levein way). Now enjoying his football and being scouted by decent English teams. Good luck to the boy. Can't wait until this era is over tbh. 

Cant wait till this season is over. Anyway at least morrison could run, hope he

finds a decent club.

Edited by Harry Potter

Never impressed me much. Missed a lot of chances and his crossing was usually awful.  I remember thinking after he scored that he might kick on a bit but it never happened. He was quick but never seemed able to use that to his benefit. 

Also, I'm no fan of Levein but blaming him for Morrison failing to make the grade at hearts is a bit of a stretch. 

He must have improved a ridiculous amount if there is any truth in these rumours, fair play to him if that is the case. 

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because his man management is appalling, whether it’s a 17 year old talent or a foreign striker struggling to settle on. 

I Don't think the likes of  Hickey or  Lafferty would agree would agree. One got a dream move, one had lots of support then got his dream move. 

You clearly have a better handle on the detail behind the scenes tho. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Or he found his level. 

10 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Great pace and energy. Let down a bit by his final delivery and finishing which was often rushed. But there was potential and good foundations to work on for a decent coaching team.

Ach well ! Another one eh ? 

And that will happen time and time again until the coaching and academy are sorted out properly. I hope that is in the remit of our new man. With the resources that are pumped into the academy it should be showing a far better return than it is currently. That has to change.

Diadora Van Basten
12 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

We are so hard and critical of youngsters at Hearts it's no wonder they get the stuffing knocked out of them

I think we put them in so early that by the time they are 21 and can hold their own physically against adult players we have already written them off.

I watched a view from the Terrace and they were raving about Morrison. He has been scoring goals for Falkirk but apparently that’s just because it’s lower league and easy. Meanwhile we are getting knocked out the cup by Highland league sides.

Weird one, scored on loan and in reserves or whatever. Had the most powderpuff kick in the first team though. Couldn't ever imagine him lashing one in the net.

Think Falkirk is about his level tbh. Fair play if he gets himself a good move.

Sometimes I wonder if people on here actually want hearts players to do well, never any encouraging comments about players especially youth, just the usual "he is pish" comments.

ford donald
10 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Think Levein wasted more than he made, but he knows best!  I think he should get more time on radio Scotland to tell us all what's wrong and how he'd put it right!

He  took the piss out of the club, owner and fans for too long and wasted a good few careers in the process- says everything thats wrong about the Scottish football scene that this muppet still gets air time! 

Wage theif,nothing better.

12 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I really don't think we could. He made the same mistakes time and time again, and fell to pieces the second he arrived in the box. I lost count of the number of times he blasted the ball into the stand when presented with an opportunity to score.

Brauhauser2012

If anything we have learned recently is that the players degenerate under the mangers we've had recently with the exception of Stendel who within a few months turned around Sean Clare who suddenly was going from strength to strength and had looked totally clueless under Levein. I think our coaches, tactics, training methods are wrong. One difference this season is that the plague of injuries we suffered under Levein has disappeared along with Levein, who always claimed it was nothing to do with him. I think the players are getting a lot of the blame for being played out of position, poor tactics, a bad mix of personality types and capabilities.  

Durham Jambo

I’m married into a Falkirk supporting family and I’ve seen a few of their games this season.  To put it mildly he’s been honking in a very poor league.  Still fast. Still can’t cross. Definitely no loss in releasing him.

Edited by Durham Jambo

Tom Hardy’s Dug
14 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

He was very poor in Hearts strip, and like so many before him, unlikely to reach any heights after they leave....taking a side the credibility or otherwise of this thread, I was not impressed personally with him....

I think he had better moments when played in the SPL than our wingers this season have had in a much poorer league this season. He was getting game time and showing signs of improvement when he got injured.

Anyway is probably side with Derby and QPR scouts on this point than disgruntled fans.

He was part of the team that was doing well in 2018. Before it all went wrong! 

He definitely came in and out a lot after injury. Changed the derby at ER - believe the Hickey one. Played rwb a few times as well

I don’t think he was particularly good. Mcdonald clearly the better player at the time (not that he got a game anyway). 

If you work hard and are willing to run at players it’s a damn good starting point for a winger. 

Best of luck to him. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Or he found his level. 

Which would suggest that we have found our level...

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, leith_dude said:

Never impressed me much. Missed a lot of chances and his crossing was usually awful.  I remember thinking after he scored that he might kick on a bit but it never happened. He was quick but never seemed able to use that to his benefit. 

Also, I'm no fan of Levein but blaming him for Morrison failing to make the grade at hearts is a bit of a stretch. 

He must have improved a ridiculous amount if there is any truth in these rumours, fair play to him if that is the case. 

Im not blaming Levein - although what I would say that if you have a player with pace who is prepared to take on players and his final pass needs a bit of work then you work on coaching him to make that final pass.

My main point is more that of the 97players we have brought in and the others we had and have played I feel we have made a mistake in shipping out a number of those players at no cost - I don’t think our judgement has been great with many signings but I don’t think our judgement has been great in a number of the players we have let go.

I also think there is a huge problem in us properly identifying the potential of our youth players and properly setting them up with contract offers that keep them at the club.

Painful to say it but Hibs seem to be streets ahead of us on that front. 

12 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Decent thread on twitter about it 

I hate to turn this into why Robbie must go, but :

''Nobody can convince me that Morrison & McDonald would have done as bad as Frear, Roberts and Kastaneer.

The two lads have sell on value and potential to improve, whereas the other 3 are stop-gaps. ''

Pretty much sums up Robbies thinking and mentality. Not 1 player under 20 has gotten game time this season in the league. Its frankly appalling considering the noise made about youth development both when Budge/Levein first got here, but also Robbies claims when he came back about his interest in youth development

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-sets-challenge-hearts-teens-eyeing-first-team-place-2958259

Edited by OTT

Has a lack of a reserve league hurt players progress over the years it has been gone and not just Hearts ?

May one-six
22 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Im not blaming Levein - although what I would say that if you have a player with pace who is prepared to take on players and his final pass needs a bit of work then you work on coaching him to make that final pass.

My main point is more that of the 97players we have brought in and the others we had and have played I feel we have made a mistake in shipping out a number of those players at no cost - I don’t think our judgement has been great with many signings but I don’t think our judgement has been great in a number of the players we have let go.

I also think there is a huge problem in us properly identifying the potential of our youth players and properly setting them up with contract offers that keep them at the club.

Painful to say it but Hibs seem to be streets ahead of us on that front. 

I think there's a lot of negativity around us right now and a lot of thinking that the grass is greener, which really isn't warranted when you look at the facts.

For example, during the last few years can you tell me which outstanding youth players Hibs have either, a) developed and then kept in their team, or b) developed and then sold for over £1m?