Great article from Tom English

innerjambo

In the Evening News now. Doesn't hold back, puts the boot in to the whole shambles that currently exists in our club.

He’s spot on with that. I have said for some time that the players were getting an easy time hiding behind Neilson for some of the shittyist performances I have seen from Hearts players for some considerable time.  Some of them should be handing back huge wedges of their weekly pay given the gutless inept performances that they have been putting in. 

AlphonseCapone

Finally a journalist that can see beyond the moronic but hearts are top the league, why the moaning, and is capable of understanding the fans can see the serious risks for next season in the top league. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Finally a journalist that can see beyond the moronic but hearts are top the league, why the moaning, and is capable of understanding the fans can see the serious risks for next season in the top league. 

It's like a 'wake up and smell the coffee ffs'

It normally takes a decent journalist with balls to confront the real situation, and call out those in charge. Tom English usually gets it right.

It reads like it's been lifted from somewhere else. It says "Sportsound journalist Tom English", was he on that recently, anyone hear it?

Under the floodlight
10 minutes ago, RobboM said:

It reads like it's been lifted from somewhere else. It says "Sportsound journalist Tom English", was he on that recently, anyone hear it?

You are correct Sir, he was on last night.

8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I didn't think it read like the full article. Started with the fact or demise goes back many years but didn't really follow through with that, as I expected, likewise with the Academy.

I thought Liam Corbett put the case about the malaise we are suffering much better to be honest.

Perhaps there is more and I am doing TE a disservice, I just didn't read it in that link

14 minutes ago, RobboM said:

It does yes, the article is not written by English, but the comments certainly are.

It is a good article but, editorially, it is ridiculous.

Can't they at least look at the squiggly line underneath typos to correct them? There's so many of them.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

I didn't think it read like the full article. Started with the fact or demise goes back many years but didn't really follow through with that, as I expected, likewise with the Academy.

I thought Liam Corbett put the case about the malaise we are suffering much better to be honest.

Perhaps there is more and I am doing TE a disservice, I just didn't read it in that link

Tbf to TE this just someone else's reporting of some of the things he's said. His full articles are typically well thought out and thorough. 

31 minutes ago, Deevers said:

He’s spot on with that. I have said for some time that the players were getting an easy time hiding behind Neilson for some of the shittyist performances I have seen from Hearts players for some considerable time.  Some of them should be handing back huge wedges of their weekly pay given the gutless inept performances that they have been putting in. 

How much wasted on Agents fees and signing on fees!!!!

ford donald
27 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Another excellent article by a very good journalist,Budge backs a manager who buys crap players and produces crap football,everybody sees it,yet nothing changes.

Pasquale for King

Finally someone in the media gets it. 
Ex players like Stevenson and Preston have said it but he’s the first journalist that gets it. 

wattie exploited

any off us fans could have written it as its been like this for the last 5 years and the players  are really lucky that there is no fans in the stadium as they would not get away with the shit they have gave us to watch this 85 % of this  season  :rifle:  

apart from Craig Gordon and Smith I think the whole team has been piss poor this year  :rifle:

3 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Another excellent article by a very good journalist,Budge backs a manager who buys crap players and produces crap football,everybody sees it,yet nothing changes.

It was a shite article written by a shite journalist who picked out some of the things a good journalist said.

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Tbf to TE this just someone else's reporting of some of the things he's said. His full articles are typically well thought out and thorough. 

Fair enough, and I agree his articles are usually among the best researched and thought out.

In my defence I did say I felt it didn't read like the full text. I now appreciate it is lifted from what he was saying on Sportsound, which I confess I don't listen to. Except of course via the link on here to Liam Corbett's contribution, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Ex member of the SaS

As much as I agree the players are getting away with murder( they should be strong enough to say feck this I'm not playing this style anymore) they are being hampered by poor backroom training and bad tactics/team selection.

When players come out and say things like GMS, who wants to get up the wings, but is constantly being told to hold back then it's clear the tactics are not working and they should be professional enough to tell Robbie they are not happy. After all it's their future reputations on the line and any hope of getting another team depends on results at their previous team. I am looking forward to a huge change in attitude and tactics tomorrow night. Nothing less than 100% is not good enough and a win with a decent game and result is a must.

Tennant's  6's
25 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Yeah, pretty much just quoting home from the sportsound podcast. 

He's bang on the money though 

Maybe they'll try an extra 5% tomorrow night, being as they're on the telly, and people will be watching. Then again, it's never bothered them before.... 🤔

I'm convinced the players aren't playing for Neilson.

I think they're going to do just enough to get us up in the hope that Neilson then gets the bullet.

It wouldn't surprise me if they can't stand his playing style and negativity.  When the season started the full backs were overlapping all the time and we only had 1 sitting midfielder in the starting 11.  Fast forward to just past a couple of crap results and the full backs aren't going forward as much and we're playing with 2 sitters.  They're probably just sick of him and want him gone (just like the rest of us).

I agree that the players, by and large, are getting off scot free.  But I think that's the reason for it.

9 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Maybe they'll try an extra 5% tomorrow night, being as they're on the telly, and people will be watching. Then again, it's never bothered them before.... 🤔

Did you watch the games away to Ayr and QOS?

:muggy:

I wonder at what point TE decided the players weren't pulling their weight ?  Funny how these journos are on the ball now that the fans are starting a near riot. They've been pretty silent for the last 2- 3 months while this shit show unfolded. 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Did you watch the games away to Ayr and QOS?

:muggy:

I did Frank, and I fell asleep with a whisky in my hand. Didn't spill a drop mind!!

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I wonder at what point TE decided the players weren't pulling their weight ?  Funny how these journos are on the ball now that the fans are starting a near riot. They've been pretty silent for the last 2- 3 months while this shit show unfolded. 

Probably reads JKB Nano. And then finds inspiration from somewhere...

A_A wehatethehibs

RE the players. The shitest players in the squad who’ve been the worst performers that have cost us dear, have been the guys Neilson has brought in is the issue. He’s brought about 10 players in. Why is Ross Stewart at this football club for example. I reckon Zlamal would’ve probably saved one of them against Brora. Pointless, rubbish signing what was the point? Then, Frear, why is he here? We had Lewis Moore who was about level with him in terms of quality. Rubbish in other words but at least Moore tried. So why was he brought to the club? These guys are total wastes of space. 

Popescu. I mean what planet is Robbie Neilson on bringing a player like that to this football club? Every single fan knew both Berra and Halkett needed binned but Robbies plan was to play them then he signed utter dross Popescu as an afterthought.

Halliday, wasn’t it obvious that Hearts fans would absolutely despise him? The guy had absolutely no chance of succeeding or being liked here as he is open about the fact he couldn’t give a **** about us and prefers to focus on Rangers. So why bin Cochrane, Smith, then sideline McGill and play Halliday every minute of every game? We could’ve gave these kids plenty game time. Halliday is not on small money either. 

Big money January signings GMS gnando and mceneff. Haven’t had the promised transformational impact on the style of play. What went wrong? 

Yes the players have been shite and it needs a clear out but the fans are on about, but it’s about, who is the guy to lead us forward after the clear out? The above evidence is damning. 

Neilson will stay, the fans will not be happy, and we will then get humiliated several more times before Neilson gets sacked by Christmas at best 

2 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Probably reads JKB Nano. And then finds inspiration from somewhere...

Hope to feck it's not i8 he reads. 😄

Lone Striker
9 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

As much as I agree the players are getting away with murder( they should be strong enough to say feck this I'm not playing this style anymore) they are being hampered by poor backroom training and bad tactics/team selection.

When players come out and say things like GMS, who wants to get up the wings, but is constantly being told to hold back then it's clear the tactics are not working and they should be professional enough to tell Robbie they are not happy. After all it's their future reputations on the line and any hope of getting another team depends on results at their previous team. I am looking forward to a huge change in attitude and tactics tomorrow night. Nothing less than 100% is not good enough and a win with a decent game and result is a must.

You've touched on the strange dynamic that seems to be happening.   On one hand, the players put in another  slow/poor performance and Robbie publicly criticises them ("must do better") - yet on the other hand, surely the senior players (Gordon,  Berra, Smith) should be having a private meeting with Robbie and thrashing out what's not working and agreeing  whatever is required to improve things.   It's been raised here recently - who shoulders the bulk of blame for the poor on-field tactics/performances ?  Robbie & coaches or the players.

Despite being a control freak, Budge has no competence  to change tactics or training routines or who's getting selected - results are the only thing that will matter to her, and she has to trust Robbie and his decisions.

Seems like a Catch 22 scenario.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

RE the players. The shitest players in the squad who’ve been the worst performers that have cost us dear, have been the guys Neilson has brought in is the issue. He’s brought about 10 players in. Why is Ross Stewart at this football club for example. I reckon Zlamal would’ve probably saved one of them against Brora. Pointless, rubbish signing what was the point? Then, Frear, why is he here? We had Lewis Moore who was about level with him in terms of quality. Rubbish in other words but at least Moore tried. So why was he brought to the club? These guys are total wastes of space. 

Popescu. I mean what planet is Robbie Neilson on bringing a player like that to this football club? Every single fan knew both Berra and Halkett needed binned but Robbies plan was to play them then he signed utter dross Popescu as an afterthought.

Halliday, wasn’t it obvious that Hearts fans would absolutely despise him? The guy had absolutely no chance of succeeding or being liked here as he is open about the fact he couldn’t give a **** about us and prefers to focus on Rangers. So why bin Cochrane, Smith, then sideline McGill and play Halliday every minute of every game? We could’ve gave these kids plenty game time. Halliday is not on small money either. 

Big money January signings GMS gnando and mceneff. Haven’t had the promised transformational impact on the style of play. What went wrong? 

Yes the players have been shite and it needs a clear out but the fans are on about, but it’s about, who is the guy to lead us forward after the clear out? The above evidence is damning. 

Neilson will stay, the fans will not be happy, and we will then get humiliated several more times before Neilson gets sacked by Christmas at best 

This sums up why he must go. 

The utter shyte that he alone has signed is an embarrassment.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

You've touched on the strange dynamic that seems to be happening.   On one hand, the players put in another  slow/poor performance and Robbie publicly criticises them ("must do better") - yet on the other hand, surely the senior players (Gordon,  Berra, Smith) should be having a private meeting with Robbie and thrashing out what's not working and agreeing  whatever is required to improve things.   It's been raised here recently - who shoulders the bulk of blame for the poor on-field tactics/performances ?  Robbie & coaches or the players.

Despite being a control freak, Budge has no competence  to change tactics or training routines or who's getting selected - results are the only thing that will matter to her, and she has to trust Robbie and his decisions.

Seems like a Catch 22 scenario.

Clearly he is persisting with "robbieball" and the players have given up on him.  I doubt there's much respect for him given his "improvements" to the playing staff .  Players are probably thinking "why should we care - the signings have been guff and now he's whining saying there's gonna be changes next season".  It must be a morale sapping place to be as a player. 

About the only journalist in this country who isn't an absolute welt. And it's not the first time, he's got it spot on about us.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This sums up why he must go. 

The utter shyte that he alone has signed is an embarrassment.

But not only that Savage managed to make 3 great looking signings for Robbie in January. Guys Robbie “really wanted” in the case of GMS. And the Center forward was the absolute top priority for Robbie, wanted a different dimension someone to come in and make an impact on the whole team, no disrespect to be gandiullet but he seems just another pretty timid lad that doesn’t have the stomach for Hearts a bit like Clare. So far anyway that’s all I’ve seen no steel or fight there hope that changes. But it takes a man manager to get the best out of guys like that and get them confident. Mceneff, again, just not offered anywhere near what Lee used to offer, seems uncertain about his role.  

Basically the Jan signings have all fallen flat and from what I can tell they were exactly the players Robbie wanted. And they weren’t the players we needed, we needed Center halves and some youthful energy / pace 

colinmaroon
18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Most of the journos are only interested in slagging Hearts when it looks like we're on the up.

TE is responding to the groundswell of fan opinion which is a valid journalistic licence for comment.  Where are all the others?  (See above).

Lone Striker
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Clearly he is persisting with "robbieball" and the players have given up on him.  I doubt there's much respect for him given his "improvements" to the playing staff .  Players are probably thinking "why should we care - the signings have been guff and now he's whining saying there's gonna be changes next season".  It must be a morale sapping place to be as a player. 

Aye.... you're probably right Nano.   In which case,  the best we can hope for is that the players somehow still want  to  actually get us over the line.  It's really desperate if things have to come this. 

Someone who fans of both old firm clubs think is completely against them. A sign of being a proper journalist in scottish football terms

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There’s no point in trying to distinguish between the frauds at our club.

Budge

Neilson

Murray

The players

They are all a disease and they all need to go.

Title needs change - it's a story by Pilcher which quotes Tom English rather than a Tom English authored article. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

When the club see this, they’ll mobilise Banderson to churn out some pro Budge/Snoreson propaganda 

11 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Title needs change - it's a story by Pilcher which quotes Tom English rather than a Tom English authored article. 

Not disagreeing. There is a post further up with a link to TE audio on Sportsound where he actually says these things. Better just to listen to it I found. 

Ex member of the SaS

Re Robbies signings, surely there is a huge problem when a player is signed and then sent on loan to a Premiership club. Doing badly here yet managing to play well for Motherwell seems to indicate he can't play to the tactics employed. So why was he signed? If they knew he played a certain style ( obviously watched and assessed )and that was different to how you want the team to play, then surely you don't sign him.

Surely the first rule of signing a player is will he fit in to how we set the team up.

So along with poor signings and poor tactics / selections we have a recruitment strategy that doesn't work.

The manager must identify the type of player he wants, and he must know how that player plays, and if he will fit in to his team, it's then up to others to go and get them. In other words Robbie is the problem. 

Tom English says it as it is as usual. Unlike the retired player pundits he understands that gaining promotion cannot be the only metric that Neilson is measured on. He has presided over some appallingly bad signings and has not improved one single player during his time as coach. Additionally you have to look how he has performed in the area of player motivation which he has failed with.

English is also correct in saying this sort of malaise has been there for many years. It is effectively a bad organisational culture that needs to be addressed from top to bottom. The problem is it is so deep set it will take a while to rectify and in my view only when the people responsible are no longer in position.

Finally I agree that this group of players and management will be an unmitigated disaster next season if left in place. With our resources we should be up in the top echelons of the league, but I fear we will be at the other end of the league. All the signs are there to see assuming you want to see them of course!

I'm beyond angry now.  Full of self pity really.  This is heartbreaking.

How budge can preside over this is astounding.  JJ silent.