The Masters 2021

kila

S.W. Kim damaged his butter in anger so is now using his 3 wood on the greens, only three holes left though

Edited by kila

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

• Tazio

• kila

18 minutes ago, kila said:

S.W. Kim damaged his butter in anger so is now using his 3 wood on the greens, only three holes left though

He's butting well with it to be fair.

William H. Bonney
19 minutes ago, kila said:

Thats not a rule I was familiar with. 
a small bend in the shaft is deemed to change the characteristics of the club, therefore it’s no longer legal.

12 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Thats not a rule I was familiar with. 
a small bend in the shaft is deemed to change the characteristics of the club, therefore it’s no longer legal.

Yes,  you can't continue with a damaged club.  You can replace it if it happened due to damage from a shot,  etc.  Not if you damaged it through actions such as throwing it or twatting it against a tree.

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes,  you can't continue with a damaged club.  You can replace it if it happened due to damage from a shot,  etc.  Not if you damaged it through actions such as throwing it or twatting it against a tree.

I’ve seen plenty of players properly damage their clubs in anger but his was hardly noticeable. 

1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

I’ve seen plenty of players properly damage their clubs in anger but his was hardly noticeable. 

Any change of shape is enough that you can't use it again.  

CloustonHMFC
2 hours ago, kila said:

Wow I've just realised how good the Masters website is now, with full shot-by-shot replays for each golfer and 3D representations.

Have a watch of Bryson's birdie on the 18th:

https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/player_47959.html?promo=bio_lb

It's even better if you download a vpn and go on it from the US.

Thunderstorms and rain forecast from 2pm tomorrow should be fun- we're getting some storms tonight.

Maybe allows a Lowry, Fleetwood, MacIntyre or DeChambeau to get some early birdies in and you'd think the Europeans would be used to bad weather so interesting day ahead.

I P Knightley

One chap, who wouldn't have made the cut anyway, has been disqualified for signing for an incorrect score.

Rules is rules but sometimes the law is an ass. In a top, top tournament, where there are TV cameras, marshalls, scorers, walking scoreboards and millions of people watching, why can't the tournament just keep the score?

32 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

One chap, who wouldn't have made the cut anyway, has been disqualified for signing for an incorrect score.

Rules is rules but sometimes the law is an ass. In a top, top tournament, where there are TV cameras, marshalls, scorers, walking scoreboards and millions of people watching, why can't the tournament just keep the score?

When Kevin Na took 16 on a hole years ago at the Texas Open, I think he did actually lose count and had to hope his caddie was keeping count. Not sure TV or marshals would've helped in that situation as they could barely see him in the bushes.

I don't think it is difficult to sign a correct score and to do otherwise is too sloppy for an elite tournament. Given he missed the cut I doubt he was giving a shit when signing his card so can see how it happened. The leaders will be going over each score multiple times before signing to ensure.

Golf is about honestly and I think those who call a rule on themselves are honourable. When someone signs an incorrect score, it implies they might not be all that honest and the entire round could be under question despite it just being one hole that is flagged.

Edited by kila

On 09/04/2021 at 14:01, I P Knightley said:

The Braids, then?

Seriously, I didn't know he'd based himself in Embra. I thought he was living in the posh area outside Newcastle where all the footballers live. Name on the tip of my tongue but I keep on thinking of Alderley Edge - the equivalent place near Manchester.

Darras Hall? Excuse the spelling as didn't want to Google it

I P Knightley
54 minutes ago, kila said:

When Kevin Na took 16 on a hole years ago at the Texas Open, I think he did actually lose count and had to hope his caddie was keeping count. Not sure TV or marshals would've helped in that situation as they could barely see him in the bushes.

I don't think it is difficult to sign a correct score and to do otherwise is too sloppy for an elite tournament. Given he missed the cut I doubt he was giving a shit when signing his card so can see how it happened. The leaders will be going over each score multiple times before signing to ensure.

Golf is about honestly and I think those who call a rule on themselves are honourable. When someone signs an incorrect score, it implies they might not be all that honest and the entire round could be under question despite it just being one hole that is flagged.

I get all that and when I used to play in club competitions, I'd be sure to double check my score and my oppo's - especially when there are some folk prepared to push the boundaries of honour and honesty. However, the point is that he didn't appear to stand to make a gain (maybe a few quid); it didn't appear to have been done with intent and there were countless observers who knew what the correct score was. We've already established that pro golfers aren't particularly smart - he could have simply looked at the scoreboard to see where he stood. So, maybe, after all, it's fair to disqualify him on grounds of stupidity.

15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Justin Rose started like a house on fire. 

Seconds after reading this I looked up to see him land in a bunker. Commentators curse from you. 

Interestingly Justin Rose playing with a Taylor Made M1 Driver, launched in2015

So much for the benefits of the latest technology 😳

42 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Seconds after reading this I looked up to see him land in a bunker. Commentators curse from you. 

:laugh2:

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, merrymac said:

That's good to know. I've got M2 irons so now know i still have a chance. 

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's good to know. I've got M2 irons so now know i still have a chance. 

Unfortunately you can't blame the clubs then :whistling:

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Unfortunately you can't blame the clubs then :whistling:

I blame the piece of shit on the end of three club. :D

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I blame the piece of shit on the end of three club. :D

😂 can relate to that

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

When Stenson won the Open at Troon in 2016, he was a using a version of a Callaway three wood which was around eight years old and could be picked up from places like Sports Direct on the cheap. 😳😄

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

When Stenson won the Open at Troon in 2016, he was a using a version of a Callaway three wood which was around eight years old and could be picked up from places like Sports Direct on the cheap. 😳😄

It’s just the way it goes sometimes. Even when I eventually had the money to buy decent woods and irons I had a Hewson 3 wood in my back that was cheap as hell even before I’d found it in a charity shop as a teenager. It just seemed to work. I got my clubs stolen from the boot of my car and that was the annoying one as I knew it was irreplaceable.

Im not exactly to hot on the rules. But Speith there stopped on a drain and gets a drop within one club.

Drops it a few times and it rolls onto the drain and wood chips around etc. Then just places it nicely on the grass. Whats that about?

After 3 drops you just place it somewhere within the club length?

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s just the way it goes sometimes. Even when I eventually had the money to buy decent woods and irons I had a Hewson 3 wood in my back that was cheap as hell even before I’d found it in a charity shop as a teenager. It just seemed to work. I got my clubs stolen from the boot of my car and that was the annoying one as I knew it was irreplaceable.

Sponsorship usually dictates what model of clubs players use. It was part of the reasons which Rose left TM to join Honma (along with a lucrative package). He has since left Honma but doesn't have a deal for woods which frees him up to play whatever he chooses. 

When Nike pulled out of the equipment market a few years ago, a raft of their stable played with combo sets to suit their own needs. A lot of them opted for Mizuno ( Koepke, Reed, Molinari, Woods) and found great success. 

Some going by Matsuyama and he's got it 75% won.  70 or 71 and nobody touches him.  MacIntyre enhancing his rep again.  Can't win but a great chance of a top 5.

11 hours ago, Phage said:

Im not exactly to hot on the rules. But Speith there stopped on a drain and gets a drop within one club.

Drops it a few times and it rolls onto the drain and wood chips around etc. Then just places it nicely on the grass. Whats that about?

After 3 drops you just place it somewhere within the club length?

It probably rolled nearer the hole when he dropped it. You  get two tries and if it still does it , you get to place it where it hit the ground.

The Pro's are very smart with their drops. He would probably pick a spot where he knew it would roll forward and would get to place it.

37 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It probably rolled nearer the hole when he dropped it. You  get two tries and if it still does it , you get to place it where it hit the ground.

The Pro's are very smart with their drops. He would probably pick a spot where he knew it would roll forward and would get to place it.

Given it is now drops from knee height, it does seem a bit of a pointless routine most of the time. A drop nowadays should just be placed by default to speed up play.

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Given it is now drops from knee height, it does seem a bit of a pointless routine most of the time. A drop nowadays should just be placed by default to speed up play.

In principle and regarding speed up I agree. However the drop is usually the result of a shot into a bad area, so allowing placement (and I can imagine how some of our members ball would end up, virtually on a tee), seems an over reward for poor play.

Malinga the Swinga

Would be nice if TV coverage could be extended to show more than the same 6 players all round. MacIntyre, Finau and others are almost invisible. 

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Would be nice if TV coverage could be extended to show more than the same 6 players all round. MacIntyre, Finau and others are almost invisible. 

Never seen MacIntyre hit a shot yet!

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I've partially gave up on the coverage (have it on in the background) so I use the official website.

You can click on any player and see all their shots

I would love to know how the **** that Zalatoris generates his power.  He's a stick insect on a diet and it's only a 3/4 length backswing.

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Timing and speed through the hitting area. 

Well yes.  But he has a less than complete backswing so he's not generating the optimum amount of clubhead speed from the swing.  He gets through the ball (don't they all) but nothing that fierce.  He doesn't rip right through and retains a lovely balance and tempo.  Powerful legs can generate power but he's a 6 foot tee peg.  He's a bit remarkable.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Well yes.  But he has a less than complete backswing so he's not generating the optimum amount of clubhead speed from the swing.  He gets through the ball (don't they all) but nothing that fierce.  He doesn't rip right through and retains a lovely balance and tempo.  Powerful legs can generate power but he's a 6 foot tee peg.  He's a bit remarkable.

I watched Charles Howell III at St George's yesterday ago and he's the same. 6 stone soaking wet and he was leathering the ball 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I watched Charles Howell III at St George's yesterday ago and he's the same. 6 stone soaking wet and he was leathering the ball 

Easy power coming from somewhere.  He reminds me of a lad at my club but he's ferocious through the hitting area.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Easy power coming from somewhere.  He reminds me of a lad at my club but he's ferocious through the hitting area.

Finau is another. No backswing and effortless power. 

I'm rearranging vertebrae to get it out there ☹

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Finau is another. No backswing and effortless power. 

I'm rearranging vertebrae to get it out there ☹

Finau is amazing.  He's got a bit of beef about him though.  Amazing timing.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I’ve been watching the Amen corner coverage on Sky Sports App as it’s free then flipping over to the stream when that finishes. You get to see everyone for a few holes at least. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My dad used to make me hit an old tyre with a club to strengthen my forearms, still the strongest part of my limbs. I was a long hitter in my youth, with an over swing but not much control

due to that. Mcilroy is currently trying to shorten his swing a bit to get better control. 
There’s various reasons why guys hit it far. 

https://theleftrough.com/golf-swing-speed/