The Masters 2021

kila

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He is a bit of a *****, landed on his feet anyway. 

Wouldn’t mind Lee winning it, especially seeing as he lives in our wonderful capital city these days.  

I thought I'd seen him down at Silverknowes last summer! :D

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

• Tazio

• kila

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Doesn’t take long to take their Velcro golf shoes off so 40 odd possibly 😜

Getting the shoes back on the correct feet would be the problem.

Maroon Sailor

Hovland has done well to get back to Even after 6 holes after that triple bogey start.

He's come back from setbacks like that before

How Bubba manages his baw roon courses is beyond me, his swing resembles a welly hurrler, two green jackets though...

Every time I watch the big tournaments I get obsessed with wondering how they would do without yardage books to help them. Obviously they’d still play amazing golf that normal players can only dream of but it would be interesting to see how much the scores varied. I used to play Braids with a mate who was obsessive and played it about 5 times a week and had made his own yardage book up with detailed descriptions of all aspects of the whole course not just distance. All very well but his game went to pieces if we played elsewhere as it had become a psychological crutch for him. It actually, in my opinion, made his general game worse. 

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Getting the shoes back on the correct feet would be the problem.

Hahahahaha 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Every time I watch the big tournaments I get obsessed with wondering how they would do without yardage books to help them. Obviously they’d still play amazing golf that normal players can only dream of but it would be interesting to see how much the scores varied. I used to play Braids with a mate who was obsessive and played it about 5 times a week and had made his own yardage book up with detailed descriptions of all aspects of the whole course not just distance. All very well but his game went to pieces if we played elsewhere as it had become a psychological crutch for him. It actually, in my opinion, made his general game worse. 

Was there not something about Bryson struggling without his green reader in November? 
It obviously does help them with the yardage and where they want to hit it, some of the discussions between the player and caddy go on for ages before they decide, no wonder it takes so long to play a round. 

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I thought I'd seen him down at Silverknowes last summer! :D

More a south sider I think 😆

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Bryson mumping at the ballspoters at the US open when they failed to find his ball 367 yards of the tee round a R to L dogleg (8 inch 2nd cut). On that golf course, give him an electric cart, remove his caddie, yardage and greens book, he wouldn't break 90. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Was there not something about Bryson struggling without his green reader in November? 
It obviously does help them with the yardage and where they want to hit it, some of the discussions between the player and caddy go on for ages before they decide, no wonder it takes so long to play a round. 

Green books are a step too far in my opinion. I’m not sure how topographical diagrams of greens worked out by GPS fits into the spirit of the game. I’ve been a decent golfer but a dreadful putter all my life but I wouldn’t want to improve it with a green book. Drive for show putt for dough as they say. 

It gets worse. As part of my annoyance I was Googling about green books and have discovered they are allowing the use of rangefinders at the US PGA this year to try and speed up play. It’ll probably slow it down as players get obsessed with their new toys. 

Maroon Sailor

Kisner was going well but has just put his 3rd shot in the water at 11

I always see that as the hardest hole on the course.

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Green books are a step too far in my opinion. I’m not sure how topographical diagrams of greens worked out by GPS fits into the spirit of the game. I’ve been a decent golfer but a dreadful putter all my life but I wouldn’t want to improve it with a green book. Drive for show putt for dough as they say. 

I’m the same, I played at the same course for 25 years and knew the greens inside out so i don’t see how it would’ve helped me. 
Once you’ve played a few times at Augusta you must know the greens. 
They also don’t play many new courses and obviously practice there before they play. 
It might be something they ban moving forward to stop the players laying waste to easier courses, alongside other measures to stop technology taking over. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It gets worse. As part of my annoyance I was Googling about green books and have discovered they are allowing the use of rangefinders at the US PGA this year to try and speed up play. It’ll probably slow it down as players get obsessed with their new toys. 

Read that a few weeks ago, will be interesting to see how that goes. 

Maroon Sailor

The wind is up, the greens are like marble.

See how Bryson goes about taking it on 

45 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The wind is up, the greens are like marble.

See how Bryson goes about taking it on 

Looking forward to Augusta putting Bryson back in his box...again.

Edited by OBE

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pretty dodgy moving the dirt here !

Got a bit narky as well 😂

I remember seeing this before but I'm now curious about the way he's played that.  I always thought it wasn't a permitted stroke to strike it with any part of a club not naturally designed for a shot (not the face in other words).  

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Sandy only goes nowadays for the build up, including the meal before & after. He's not that fussed by the playing side of it.

Horse's mouth.

To be fair to him he played a few Masters and Opens about 5-10 years ago when he did quite well a few times.  Nowhere near as spectacularly well as Tom Watson or the Greg Norman occassion.  Nowhere near as consistent as Langer.  

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Still hits a tidy round on St Fillans' course though.

:sadrobbo:

I dare say.  I wonder if he's still a monster off the tee.  Lyle in his prime with the driver was immensely long.  Not very accurate but a total monster.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I dare say.  I wonder if he's still a monster off the tee.  Lyle in his prime with the driver was immensely long.  Not very accurate but a total monster.

Probably the reason he became known for using a driving iron to try and be accurate. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Probably the reason he became known for using a driving iron to try and be accurate. 

He was a beast with that as well.  Ballesteros was a regular 2 iron or 3 iron hitter once his driving went to pot.  But he was just about as wild with the long iron.

Edited by Victorian

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

273.5 avg on the Champion's Tour, apparently. More than long enough to take St. Fillans to pieces.

Augusta... not so much anymore.

Jings.  I wouldn't mind that -30 yards.

:muggy:

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Still hits a tidy round on St Fillans' course though.

:sadrobbo:

Many a family holiday spent at the caravan park at St Fillans.  My grandad, dad, uncles and mates all played golf whenever we were there, me and my brothers caddying and generally getting in the way.  Been meaning to go up and play it for years.

CloustonHMFC

If you download a VPN and set it to the US the coverage on the masters website (mobile app also works) shits all over skysports 👍

Vpnify is a good, free and easy to use VPN for android 👍

Edited by CloustonHMFC

35 minutes ago, Barack said:

This always gets a good turnout. Lyle shows up, gives out some prizes, gives folk tips & advice. Nice guy & very down to earth.

Screenshot_20210408-185642_Chrome.jpg

Another pick up story from the SAS championship. Picked Sandy up at the airport (not private jet like Langer) and I'd texted him to say where I was. Next thing I get a call from the office saying he's called and complained as no-one had turned up so I head to the terminal to get him. Long story short, he'd been giving out his old mobile number for a while and I got  message from the "owner" of the number saying Sandy owned her dinner for the amount of messages she was getting! He had no idea about all the missed messages and hadn't figured out why people he had contacted hasn't been in touch! 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Seen similar comments re De Chambeau before he won his US Open

What, drive, rough, green and repeat? USGA were caught with their scants below their calf's, Brysons won his one and only...

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Barack said:

My Dad's agreed to be Captain there, for a 3rd (and final year) this year.

Utter pain in the arse. Good job the member's aren't. :lol:

1 hour ago, Barack said:

This always gets a good turnout. Lyle shows up, gives out some prizes, gives folk tips & advice. Nice guy & very down to earth.

Screenshot_20210408-185642_Chrome.jpg

Class. Didn’t know they did this. 

Maroon Sailor

Bryson holing 10ft plus putts for bogeys and pars

Needs to change his tee to green play

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bryson holing 10ft plus putts for bogeys and pars

Needs to change his tee to green play

10 foot puts for bogeys "n" pars, like dugs that chase cars, dinnae last very long...

Edited by OBE

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I really think there should be some sort of age limit or score average for the last few years involved with past champions, guys like Lyle/Faldo/Woosnam/Olazabal aren’t playing at a good enough level to be a taking a younger guys place. Langer on the other hand is the exception. 

Eh Woosnam finished in 76 - Rory +4 after 17😂

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hope the coverage isn't going to be a Westwood love-in.

Dougherty is creaming himself already at the thought of him winning the green jacket

Relax ain't happening:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tough scoring day

Normally expect a 67 at least in the 1st round

67 is par according to DeChambeau last year. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

67 is par according to  last year. 

That hasn't come back to haunt him ! 😆

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

They still managed to send feckin Eilidh Barbour over. 

What a feckin waste of the licence payers money that is.

She'll be in the studio in Salford

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Eh Woosnam finished in 76 - Rory +4 after 17😂

That was a decent round no doubt about that, Langer with a 74. It will be interesting to see if they make the cut with the weather turning bad tomorrow. 

Maroon Sailor

Spieth going for the glory shot deep in the woods at 9

Staring a double in the face

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Spieth going for the glory shot deep in the woods at 9

Staring a double in the face

Is this you thinking about the dogging scene at your favourite chippie again? 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Is this you thinking about the dogging scene at your favourite chippie again? 

Nah but I think you are ! 😅