Hibs to sell one or two assets

CJGJ

Hibernian may sell "one or two" of their prize assets over the summer, admits owner Ron Gordon.

But the American businessman insists any transfers will not "short change" the club's ability to compete at the top end of the Scottish Premiership.

January bids for Ryan Porteous and Kevin Nisbet were rejected, while teenage full-back Josh Doig has been linked with several English sides.

"We have a mission to be as competitive as we can," said Gordon.

Speaking before the club's annual general meeting, he added: "I think that maybe one, maybe two could have the opportunity to move this summer.

"I don't think we should undervalue our players, I won't consider us just as a selling club."

Doig, 18, has enjoyed a fabulous breakthrough season, with Leicester City the latest team reported to be interested.

"He has been terrific, he's got some great attributes as a player, great speed, a terrific shot," said Gordon. "He has grown and matured. Every game he's got a little better, he's more confident and more comfortable.

"I'm excited that Brendan Rodgers is interested in him. Josh is a great player but we don't want to undersell our assets. We need to find the right balance between what's good for the club and for him.

"For a kid like Josh the idea of playing for a club like Leicester City is something we want to encourage."

Birmingham City wanted striker Nisbet, 24 - who only signed for Hibs in the summer - while Millwall were keen on centre-half Porteous, 22. But Gordon says turning down January offers was the right thing to do.

"It was a question of timing and valuation," he explained. "They were not easy decisions. Both of them want to grow and I am 100% sure they will have other opportunities. I think they both agreed.

"Kevin has come back and really contributed beautifully. The fact he's won his first cap is fantastic and is another feather in our cap. I think he will continue to do well and he is in a better place to move on when the time is right."

With five league matches remaining, Hibs have a seven-point lead in the race to finish third, something last achieved in 2005.

And Gordon is targeting "consistent" European football for the club he bought control of in July 2019.

He also revealed that the process of replacing former chief executive Leeann Dempster was in the "final stages", with an appointment expected in the next "30-40 days".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• WoolfordsHearts

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

CL’s reasons for getting rid of Doig where laughable.....said he would have struggled to get in ahead of Hickey so we wanted to be fair and let him go to develop elsewhere. Surely we don’t have only one player per position at that level ?

If McGinn is tempted away from Villa Park, Hibs’ Finance Chief Chris Gaunt has confirmed what percentage of the transfer fee would go to the Easter Road side – and how much the Buddies would be due as well.

Speaking at the club’s AGM on Wednesday, Gaunt confirmed Hibs would be due 15 per cent of the overall price with St Mirren allocated 30 per cent of Hibs’ slice.

This would mean that if McGinn was sold for £50 million – which was the price tag Villa reportedly stuck on the midfielder when Manchester United were linked with a move in 2019 – Hibs would receive £7.5m and once £2.25m was removed to cover the Paisley side’s cut, Hibs would net £5.25m.

The Capital club has already benefited to the tune of around £2.8m following McGinn’s transfer to Villa in 2018 plus a tidy sum following the club’s promotion to the Premier League in 2019.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

CL’s reasons for getting rid of Doig where laughable.....said he would have struggled to get in ahead of Hickey so we wanted to be fair and let him go to develop elsewhere. Surely we don’t have only one player per position at that level ?

stupid *****. Maybe they should ask him about that. Plenty of space for 2 teenagers and Doig had come on predominantly in the year after we sold hickey

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

stupid *****. Maybe they should ask him about that. Plenty of space for 2 teenagers and Doig had come on predominantly in the year after we sold hickey

Spot on 👍

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

And we gave doig a free.. may as well have handed hibs a million plus.

thanks Levein ya prick

Josh Doig's Hearts exit explained as Craig Levein praises Hibs kid's progress - Edinburgh Live

Craig Levein has explained why Hearts let Josh Doig go and why clubs can't be scared to let youngsters go and find their own way.

Doig has established himself as a first team regular after crossing the city to join rivals Hibs.

He recently signed a new contract at Easter Road after being lined with moves to the likes of Manchester City and Leeds United.

With the benefit of hindsight, some Hearts fans have questioned why Doig was allowed to leave.

But Levein has spelled out why he felt he had to allow the player to move on, and addressed the wide point of clubs stockpiling young players even if they know they’re first team chances will be limited at best.

He said of Doig on BBC Sportsound: “Great kid. Absolutely brilliant boy. He was one that had Hickey in front of him and had two other players that were ahead of him.

“But he was always one that worked really, really hard and it became a decision about whether he was going to get game time.

“For me, the critical thing is that if you have players in the team, particularly at that age, that you’re not going to give game time to, then you've got to let them go. You’ve got to give the kid an opportunity to go and make his career somewhere else and I believe that’s what happened.

“From the boy’s point of view, he’s gone across to Hibs and done really, really well. I’m really pleased for him because he’s a smashing kid.

“He’s an athlete and such a hard working kid. People will say he’s gone from Hearts to Hibs but I was thrilled for him. He had done okay at Hearts but not well enough to play on a regular basis.

“What’s worked well for him is that at the time he’s left, he’s physically quite well prepared. It hasn’t been a huge problem for him to deal with things physically; it’s just whether technically he could get up to the level sooner rather than later and I;m really pleased that he’s managed to do that quickly.

“If you’ve got loads of players in your academy and you’re not playing them and they’re not improving then you;re doing them a disservice. To be scared to let players go is a really dangerous position to be in, because all you do is just collect players.

“This kid has gone into the Hibs team and made a name for himself, but he wasn;t going to do that at Hearts because Hickey was in his way.”

27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Hibernian may sell "one or two" of their prize assets over the summer, admits owner Ron Gordon.

But the American businessman insists any transfers will not "short change" the club's ability to compete at the top end of the Scottish Premiership.

January bids for Ryan Porteous and Kevin Nisbet were rejected, while teenage full-back Josh Doig has been linked with several English sides.

Speaking before the club's annual general meeting, he added: "I think that maybe one, maybe two could have the opportunity to move this summer.

"I don't think we should undervalue our players, I won't consider us just as a selling club."

Doig, 18, has enjoyed a fabulous breakthrough season, with Leicester City the latest team reported to be interested.

"He has been terrific, he's got some great attributes as a player, great speed, a terrific shot," said Gordon. "He has grown and matured. Every game he's got a little better, he's more confident and more comfortable.

"I'm excited that Brendan Rodgers is interested in him. Josh is a great player but we don't want to undersell our assets. We need to find the right balance between what's good for the club and for him.

"For a kid like Josh the idea of playing for a club like Leicester City is something we want to encourage."

Birmingham City wanted striker Nisbet, 24 - who only signed for Hibs in the summer - while Millwall were keen on centre-half Porteous, 22. But Gordon says turning down January offers was the right thing to do.

"It was a question of timing and valuation," he explained. "They were not easy decisions. Both of them want to grow and I am 100% sure they will have other opportunities. I think they both agreed.

"Kevin has come back and really contributed beautifully. The fact he's won his first cap is fantastic and is another feather in our cap. I think he will continue to do well and he is in a better place to move on when the time is right."

With five league matches remaining, Hibs have a seven-point lead in the race to finish third, something last achieved in 2005.

And Gordon is targeting "consistent" European football for the club he bought control of in July 2019.

He also revealed that the process of replacing former chief executive Leeann Dempster was in the "final stages", with an appointment expected in the next "30-40 days".

Wish we had players as valuable.......

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Why did we not stick a sell on agreement in doig when he went to Hibs? Did we genuinely just release him? 😭

yup. Unreal management 

Can’t see them getting offered anything close to what Birmingham offered them in January for Nisbet, his form has dipped off a cliff

WoolfordsHearts
40 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Auld ron hawking doig about the media.

If that was Budge talking like that about one of our'galacticos'we'd be going radge.

Vermin scum.

Hibs are operating at a substantially better level than us at the present time.  The good news is that it won't last but at present, we are an utter shambles and they are not.

Of course Levein 's going to say he's delighted for the boy,blah,blah.Trying to put a positive spin on and justify another  one of his screw ups.Is that why he stockpiled Moore,Henderson and the likes?

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Every sodding thread now. 

Hibs are to sell star players. 
Yeah but Levein is a prick and Hearts are shite.

Spot on summation re- your last sentence! Bravo!

42 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

thanks Levein ya prick

The damage Levein has done to our club is never ending.  To think the number of dud left backs that he's signed and we could have developed one of our own.

We all laugh at H1b5 feebly attempts to copy FOH and match our funding, but they more than make up for it in the transfer market.

Pasquale for King

I’m not sure he really gets it, they’ve knocked back bids and there’s no guarantee that anyone will come back in for them. Nisbet has barely scored a goal since for months. 
It gives an insight how he wants the coun to operate though. 

It shouldn't matter a jot if there were 1 or 2 ahead of Doig, if he was showing signs of a touch of class with a promising future, you then protect that asset and then reap the rewards later regardless of competition for places,another own goal from the messiah ,Levein.

Pasquale for King

Levein was talking about letting Josh Doig leave so he could flourish and become the player he is today, if he goes for £2m that arsehole will want the credit for it 🙈

Edited by Pasquale for King

24 minutes ago, OTT said:

Why did we not stick a sell on agreement in doig when he went to Hibs? Did we genuinely just release him? 😭

When Hickey moved to us from Celtic, they must have stuck in a clause, as they got some of our Bologna money.

It would appear that Levein didn't do likewise with Doig.

Is this what this forum has become?

People lifting and then posting stories about our biggest rivals players and ex players making them money and no one batters a ****ing eye lid?

Take your McGinn money and your Doig money and stick it up yer ****ing arseholes ya bunch of sister fisting *****.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, franco2209 said:

It shouldn't matter a jot if there were 1 or 2 ahead of Doig, if he was showing signs of a touch of class with a promising future, you then protect that asset and then reap the rewards later regardless of competition for places,another own goal from the messiah ,Levein.

Exactly, what’s the point of the academy if you have 4 left backs at around the same age. 
It’s about time we stopped giving Hibs our young players for them to develop and sell them as they did with Cummings and Shaw. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Wish we had players as valuable.......

I don’t think we have anyone that we could get more than a few hundred grand for. 

7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Is this what this forum has become?

People lifting and then posting stories about our biggest rivals players and ex players making them money and no one batters a ****ing eye lid?

Take your McGinn money and your Doig money and stick it up yer ****ing arseholes ya bunch of sister fisting *****.

That's what we all feel.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

thanks Levein ya prick

How utter shite is Levein ??

Unable to spot talent in one of his own players, right in front of him, and at a time when he must have known that Hickey was going.

Hibs will get a transfer fee equivalent to something like the amount of FOH contributions we make over the course of a year.

A legend as a player, a clown as a manager.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Josh Doig's Hearts exit explained as Craig Levein praises Hibs kid's progress - Edinburgh Live

Craig Levein has explained why Hearts let Josh Doig go and why clubs can't be scared to let youngsters go and find their own way.

Doig has established himself as a first team regular after crossing the city to join rivals Hibs.

He recently signed a new contract at Easter Road after being lined with moves to the likes of Manchester City and Leeds United.

With the benefit of hindsight, some Hearts fans have questioned why Doig was allowed to leave.

But Levein has spelled out why he felt he had to allow the player to move on, and addressed the wide point of clubs stockpiling young players even if they know they’re first team chances will be limited at best.

He said of Doig on BBC Sportsound: “Great kid. Absolutely brilliant boy. He was one that had Hickey in front of him and had two other players that were ahead of him.

“But he was always one that worked really, really hard and it became a decision about whether he was going to get game time.

“For me, the critical thing is that if you have players in the team, particularly at that age, that you’re not going to give game time to, then you've got to let them go. You’ve got to give the kid an opportunity to go and make his career somewhere else and I believe that’s what happened.

“From the boy’s point of view, he’s gone across to Hibs and done really, really well. I’m really pleased for him because he’s a smashing kid.

“He’s an athlete and such a hard working kid. People will say he’s gone from Hearts to Hibs but I was thrilled for him. He had done okay at Hearts but not well enough to play on a regular basis.

“What’s worked well for him is that at the time he’s left, he’s physically quite well prepared. It hasn’t been a huge problem for him to deal with things physically; it’s just whether technically he could get up to the level sooner rather than later and I;m really pleased that he’s managed to do that quickly.

“If you’ve got loads of players in your academy and you’re not playing them and they’re not improving then you;re doing them a disservice. To be scared to let players go is a really dangerous position to be in, because all you do is just collect players.

“This kid has gone into the Hibs team and made a name for himself, but he wasn;t going to do that at Hearts because Hickey was in his way.”

Utter nonsense. Was it not the idea we  develop and sell players so others come through? Hibs could make millions out of this incompetence.

David Black
47 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Budge is a great businesswoman.

Rumour has it, but we know how crap most rumours are.

Randy Marsh
4 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

How utter shite is Levein ??

Unable to spot talent in one of his own players, right in front of him, and at a time when he must have known that Hickey was going.

Hibs will get a transfer fee equivalent to something like the amount of FOH contributions we make over the course of a year.

A legend as a player, a clown as a manager.

Levein releases Doig but signs Aidy White.:rofl: What a feckin muppet he was.                                              

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

thanks Levein ya prick

But.....but....Levein did a fantastic job with the Academy.......🙄

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

Levein releases Doig but signs Aidy White.:rofl: What a feckin muppet he was.                                              

Indeed. Makes his comments about Doig look completely stupid.

45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein was talking about letting Josh Doig leave so he could flourish and become the player he is today, if he goes for £2m that arsehole will want the credit for it 🙈

The arrogant prick is just taking the piss now!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Auld ron hawking doig about the media.

If that was Budge talking like that about one of our'galacticos'we'd be going radge.

Vermin scum.

She took the money for Hickey as quick as she could

WoolfordsHearts
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

She took the money for Hickey as quick as she could

We GOT the money for Hickey though.

Peruvian ron's flapping about like a swan trying to drum up interest in a laddie that's had a decent season.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

We GOT the money for Hickey though.

Peruvian ron's flapping about like a swan trying to drum up interest in a laddie that's had a decent season.

Doesnae really make any difference. Same thing

WoolfordsHearts
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Doesnae really make any difference. Same thing

Not like I give a **** but how much have hibs made on doig?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Not like I give a **** but how much have hibs made on doig?

That’s like saying how much have Dortmund made on Haaland. We’ll find out when they sell him.

I don’t see them getting a great deal tbh

WoolfordsHearts
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s like saying how much have Dortmund made on Haaland. We’ll find out when they sell him.

I don’t see them getting a great deal tbh

I'm sure Dortmund are guaranteed a fee considering how well Haalands playing.

I'm sure the vermin will get some sort of a fee for doig and doige eventually aswell. 👍

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Guess he knew fine well he'd ruin him. Breathtaking.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think we have anyone that we could get more than a few hundred grand for. 

IF Souttar gets back to what he was, he’ll be worth more than anything they have. 

Our 38 year old goalkeeper is probably still worth more than their entire squad.

FTH

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The arrogant prick is just taking the piss now!

Absolutely, without a hint of regret or acceptance of the mess he created. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

IF Souttar gets back to what he was, he’ll be worth more than anything they have. 

Our 38 year old goalkeeper is probably still worth more than their entire squad.

FTH

Ifs and buts really, there’s never been a bid for him from anyone.

We can but hope but we can’t rely on him unfortunately. 
Gordon is one the best players in the country but has little value at his age. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Unbelievable stuff from Levein, he’s genuinely chuffed with himself that he lets a real talented youngster go to our bitter rivals, that could potentially bag them a few million as well.

He genuinely lost the plot with us, massive own goal, but somehow he delights in the lads breakthrough at Hibs. 

We are miles off from where we should be and Levein is the main reason for this, where did the chat ever come from that Levein is intelligent?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, cauther col said:

Whatever happened to that future star Shaw 😝

They sold him for £100k and he’s playing for a team above the level we are at. 
Who needs an academy when they can just take our cast offs and make money off them.