Willing The Suspension Of Disbelief

FWJ

(Title brazenly stolen from Backadder Goes Forth)

A mention on another thread got me thinking.  There are some sci-fi films I’m quite happy to go along with - Star Trek, Star Wars etc and things like Deep Impact.  
But...  there are some that I don’t even enjoy for what they are because I just think ‘nah, I’m not having that’....

The Core

Face/Off

Armageddon

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

A mention on another thread got me thinking.  There are some sci-fi films I’m quite happy to go along with - Star Trek, Star Wars etc and things like Deep Impact.  
But...  there are some that I don’t even enjoy for what they are because I just think ‘nah, I’m not having that’....

The Core

Face/Off

Armageddon

Is it true the Taliban caught you then let you go as they had no idea what you were on about ?

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Is it true the Taliban caught you then let you go as they had no idea what you were on about ?

Seemed quite clear to me. 

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

But then your much more cleverest than I.

I’m not sure understanding the concept of the suspension of disbelief makes me clever. 

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure understanding the concept of the suspension of disbelief makes me clever. 

They let you go as well didn’t they 😊

14 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The Core

Face/Off

Armageddon

so deep impact is fine but armageddon is not? they are to some extent the same film

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so deep impact is fine but armageddon is not? they are to some extent the same film

I know, that’s why it’s weird.  Sometimes I can go along with it and other times... nope.

That's how I feel with any movies about magic.....Lord of the Rings movies are my exception as the magic is kinda diluted and simple.

But anything akin to Harry Potter....I'm out.

Felt the same about the marvel avengers films. Loved them all but as soon as they started time traveling I was a bit nah don't believe it.

It all down to how a film is presented by the director. I’ll quite happily sit and tut at a fight in a film where the good guy takes several full blooded punches to the face without wincing and beats up 2 people. But I’ll quite happily sit and enjoy John Wick shooting his way though huge gangs of armed gangsters. 

Science fiction is science fiction. In a way, unless it's just an ordinary plot (e.g. a murder mystery or goodies vs baddies) which happens to take place in other spacetimes than our own, it's supposed to push the boundaries of (dis)belief.

However, in saying that, if a movie has plot holes, that puts me right off. Or if the characters in the film continually make stupid decisions. Of if the film just ends up as a series of mano-a-mano fights. And those happen a lot, but not only in science fiction films.

A Boy Named Crow

I can cope with some sci-fi, brief suspension type stuff, but the superhero films leave me utterly cold. I just can't bring myself to care who wins or loses, in any of the franchises I've seen. In my less kind moments I've described them as films for utter morons...