Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Beni

• Agentjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David Black

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

the sub goalie
Just now, David Black said:

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

Whilst we need to have a formation/system, I don't think you're far off.  It appears that we are stifling players and not playing to their strengths.

I'm sure it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said something along the lines of they're good players, let them play.  I know he obviously had world class players but it is still relevant to the level you play at.  To often it is square pegs in round holes and we are the worst off for it, very frustrating.

The Old Tolbooth
14 minutes ago, David Black said:

It's handbrake Neilson, that's why. 

bajthejambo
13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Definitely something in that. I was watching that Busby documentary the other week and he was raging at half time in a game (I think it was the 1968 European cup final). He said to the players, what are you playing at, get out there, play football and enjoy yourselves. 

Similar with Clough, when he was asked what made him such a good manager he said he signs good players for each position and lets them get on with it.

As you say, much higher calibre of players of course but there's no doubt we're overthinking about how both we and the opposition play. 

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

8 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

Yes and their manager wears a full Adidas tracksuit, but with a smart white shirt and tie. So the tracksuit gets swapped on for the actual suit but, without having to change the upper shirt & tie. That’s innovation. 

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes and their manager wears a full Adidas tracksuit, but with a smart white shirt and tie. So the tracksuit gets swapped on for the actual suit but, without having to change the upper shirt & tie. That’s innovation. 

Keep taking those tablets pal 🤪

bajthejambo
7 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Should we get McGlynn back then?

1 minute ago, bajthejambo said:

Should we get McGlynn back then?

Just saying it is possible especially with our budget and quality of player.

15 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

John McGlynn is a good coach at that level. Probably excels at working with young players too. 

Not advocating getting him obviously, but he's doing some good work there. Should be proud of himself. Raith were in League 1 not too long ago. 

17 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Interrupting the Masters for this, a labour of love

:sob:

Indeed. Tough call tonight as well 

25 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

This is the answer. Sign players you KNOW can do a job and ask them to do that job. Don’t sign a box to box midfielder (Maceneff) and make him a DM

Dont sign wingers who can’t beat a man.

Dont sign goalkeepers who are good with their feet but couldn’t  stop a f’n beach ball.

Its not nuclear physics 

28 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

If this was Klopp’s first season at Liverpool lots of their fans would be wanting him moved on. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

John McGlynn is a good coach at that level. Probably excels at working with young players too. 

Not advocating getting him obviously, but he's doing some good work there. Should be proud of himself. Raith were in League 1 not too long ago. 

Watched an interview with Brendan Rogers recently.He stated when looking for transfer targets he looks for players that are hungry,willing to learn and are coachable.you can see by a few of the players he’s signed recently that they are young players that I presume tick those 3 boxes.

bajthejambo
4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Just saying it is possible especially with our budget and quality of player.

Fair enough. My point was in agreement with the post I quoted that football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

This is the answer. Sign players you KNOW can do a job and ask them to do that job. Don’t sign a box to box midfielder (Maceneff) and make him a DM

Dont sign wingers who can’t beat a man.

Dont sign goalkeepers who are good with their feet but couldn’t  stop a f’n beach ball.

Its not nuclear physics 

👍

Just now, bajthejambo said:

Fair enough. My point was in agreement with the post I quoted that football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 

Totally agree,find a style bring in a manager/coach that can implement that style of play and recruit players that are comfortable playing that style.

17 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Maybe it would benefit us if the manager stayed home and watched the TV and someone else picked the team and provided any guidance from the sidelines.

I'll have a bash. Always wanted to swear at a ref and get a good seat in the stand......👍

13 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Totally agree,find a style bring in a manager/coach that can implement that style of play and recruit players that are comfortable playing that style.

Might work if you're starting from scratch with a shed load of money

BUT

when you go into a club, you  must consider the length and terms of players' contracts and their employment rights.

From practical and financial viewpoints, you have to go in and work out how best to play with the resources you inherit and make adjustments as and when circumstances allow, at the same time keeping your fingers crossed that you avoid injuries and suspensions.  Even with just one or two  players missing it could upset the apple cart as Liverpool found out with Van Dijk/Henderson injured and Spurs with just Kane out.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, David Black said:

Exactly.  I wonder what would happen if the players took a decision to ignore his instructions and just go out and play their own game, free from the restrictions placed upon them?  Would they be dropped for the next game(s)?  Couldn't be worse than what we're witnessing atm.

Leveins Battalion

Maybe Ann has one eye on the impending Economic Collapse rather than spend more cash punting Rob?🤣

Punt all our players and buy some bullion.😎

Lord Beni of Gorgie
42 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Watched an interview with Brendan Rogers recently.He stated when looking for transfer targets he looks for players that are hungry,willing to learn and are coachable.you can see by a few of the players he’s signed recently that they are young players that I presume tick those 3 boxes.

And when you can't get those, down the food chain you end up trying to polish turds

42 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 

This. 

ford donald
4 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

It's a good philosophy he has,happy to bring good pros in with potential,he is a top manager,no doubts about that.

On 06/04/2021 at 20:24, Deodato said:

You heard it here first. 

Alex Neil: Preston North End report Stoke City to Football League over  manager approach | Football News | Sky Sports

So to get this thread back on track Deodato.....its a yes from me 😁

Any idea when it'll be announced? 

TyphoonJambo
5 minutes ago, GYL said:

So to get this thread back on track Deodato.....its a yes from me 😁

Any idea when it'll be announced? 

Straight after tomorrow's draw with Alloa 

ford donald
6 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Was very impressed with their playing standard,never stopped attacking for 90min, always looking for goals.

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

Whilst we need to have a formation/system, I don't think you're far off.  It appears that we are stifling players and not playing to their strengths.

I'm sure it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said something along the lines of they're good players, let them play.  I know he obviously had world class players but it is still relevant to the level you play at.  To often it is square pegs in round holes and we are the worst off for it, very frustrating.

Ours are all hiding. Apart from Boyce.