Mebbe

Sharpie

It may just be me, it may just be the time of year, and it might just be watching the news, reading the Internet and even good old Jambos Kickback. For some reason I just thought I do dwell on a lot on the negatives in life, but just now I thought of all the things I have had to be thankful for. A great life raised in a reasonably middle class neighbourhood area in Edinburgh. Great childhood, was raised with a great older sister who took care of me, parents who did not express it but loved me. Friends with whom I got into mischief, and learned the facts of life. My father taught me a few lessons some quite harsh like the time I was in a boxing club and had been for about two years and at fourteen was quite good. I challenged the old man one night, and took the mitts up stance, he looked me right in the eye and kicked my leg so hard I went down, he then with his slippered feet started kicking me along the kitchen floor .As we hardmen did, I called my mother for help, she did by telling me take it you asked for it. At the conclusion my old man told me two things, 1. never threaten, if your going to hit him just do it, 2. there are no Queensbury rules in street fighting.  

Excellent but different parents, both raised in hard times and faced some in later life.

Met some good friends, when an apprentice in a garage , I used to have to service big dirty coal trucks, and it between the coal dust and diesel oil got pretty dirty. The one driver was Sandy Lamb, he had been a WW2 Para, and spent time behind lines in Yugoslavia, a tough guy. Every Friday I would do his truck and he would kick the buggy  I was lying on and say come on you black bugger get on with it, that was my Friday for about two years. When I signed on for the army at seventeen I handed in my notice and when Sandy came with his usual, I came out from under the truck with my wrench and went after him, he burst out laughing and said finally you did it, you will do well in the army, we remained good friends for many years.

Into the army so lucky, trained, sent to Egypt on active service, enjoyed every moment of it, then Duties in London again a lifetime experience. 

Thirty six years as a cop, loved it, when young offered all the things a young man would want, challenges, mental and physical , as an older person in a new country saw my failing so corrected the worst through post secondary education, also learned the best way to beat the bosses  was to become one and did with reasonable success.  

Was fortunate to marry a woman who was prepared to sacrifice and accept extended absences to allow my progress in my career, we both reaped the reward by retiring on a good income as a result of both our efforts, built a dream house in a small town and spent thirteen years golfing. A move to a smaller house and better medical and shopping facilities allowed us to travel the world, and settle for regular visits to my wifes favorite place Vegas. 

I guess its just a couple of recent threads that got me thinking yes I have had some tough things to deal with in my life, but the fact is because of the other people I have met I have had an excellent exciting, dramatic, lots of fun, and of course downers but once you realise that is life it is not so bad there are some who have not had a fraction of the good I have had, so I am just saying through it all I feel pretty lucky and wouldn't have had it any different.  I am who I am.

Quite right.

It's always a good exercise to count your blessings and think of the happier previous times of your life, especially in situations we find ourselves in now (Hearts being crap and a pandemic on the go).

I'm sure even the most morose of us can find at least one small memory to cheer ourselves up.

Even if you don't, take the time to spoil yourself a wee bit. This can be as simple as going for a walk in a park, or spending a bit more than usual on a favourite drink or food item.

Self medicating is good for you, in moderation of course(!)

Even go so far as to unplug the phone, avoid newspapers and radio and television for a day, stay offline and watch a Tv series or a film or two.

Mental health is very important and it's good that society is becoming more able to talk about it, be understanding of it and supportive of each other.

This video may sound a bit daft, but it's a decent technique and if it helps even one person feel a bit better then it's done a job.

13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

It may just be me, it may just be the time of year, and it might just be watching the news, reading the Internet and even good old Jambos Kickback. For some reason I just thought I do dwell on a lot on the negatives in life, but just now I thought of all the things I have had to be thankful for. A great life raised in a reasonably middle class neighbourhood area in Edinburgh. Great childhood, was raised with a great older sister who took care of me, parents who did not express it but loved me. Friends with whom I got into mischief, and learned the facts of life. My father taught me a few lessons some quite harsh like the time I was in a boxing club and had been for about two years and at fourteen was quite good. I challenged the old man one night, and took the mitts up stance, he looked me right in the eye and kicked my leg so hard I went down, he then with his slippered feet started kicking me along the kitchen floor .As we hardmen did, I called my mother for help, she did by telling me take it you asked for it. At the conclusion my old man told me two things, 1. never threaten, if your going to hit him just do it, 2. there are no Queensbury rules in street fighting.  

Excellent but different parents, both raised in hard times and faced some in later life.

Met some good friends, when an apprentice in a garage , I used to have to service big dirty coal trucks, and it between the coal dust and diesel oil got pretty dirty. The one driver was Sandy Lamb, he had been a WW2 Para, and spent time behind lines in Yugoslavia, a tough guy. Every Friday I would do his truck and he would kick the buggy  I was lying on and say come on you black bugger get on with it, that was my Friday for about two years. When I signed on for the army at seventeen I handed in my notice and when Sandy came with his usual, I came out from under the truck with my wrench and went after him, he burst out laughing and said finally you did it, you will do well in the army, we remained good friends for many years.

Into the army so lucky, trained, sent to Egypt on active service, enjoyed every moment of it, then Duties in London again a lifetime experience. 

Thirty six years as a cop, loved it, when young offered all the things a young man would want, challenges, mental and physical , as an older person in a new country saw my failing so corrected the worst through post secondary education, also learned the best way to beat the bosses  was to become one and did with reasonable success.  

Was fortunate to marry a woman who was prepared to sacrifice and accept extended absences to allow my progress in my career, we both reaped the reward by retiring on a good income as a result of both our efforts, built a dream house in a small town and spent thirteen years golfing. A move to a smaller house and better medical and shopping facilities allowed us to travel the world, and settle for regular visits to my wifes favorite place Vegas. 

I guess its just a couple of recent threads that got me thinking yes I have had some tough things to deal with in my life, but the fact is because of the other people I have met I have had an excellent exciting, dramatic, lots of fun, and of course downers but once you realise that is life it is not so bad there are some who have not had a fraction of the good I have had, so I am just saying through it all I feel pretty lucky and wouldn't have had it any different.  I am who I am.

Great read 👍. I tend to to dwell on the negative things going on, but reading this made me think of all the good times. Family, friends & health  followed closely by Hearts. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad  Hopefully next season will sort that 👍