New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The cup match in isolation is not a reason. 

Leeds have barely won a cup match under Bielsa but the club correctly have realised limitations, greater goals and improvement. 

However, for ourselves cup competition is really an important goal for building cash, momentum and a feeling of bon homie. 

Its been a tough gig for Neilson this time around and certainly there's mitigation that plenty just want to ignore, problem for me,  he just isn't the dynamic we need. 

I feel sympathy for him while probably seeking a bright new start from a decent enough platform. 

Its not anywhere close to being as bleak as people would have us believe, open your eyes to some of the other teams, Aberdeen toiling at Dumbarton, Motherwell struggling with the same Morton, United at Forfar bottom of third, St Mirren at home to ICT.

The difficulty is what has gone by.

The difficulty is someone igniting this football club, the performance is average at best, but with the tools available it could be ignited and quickly I believe 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

:)

reminds me, we also need a new owner who is very shouty, extremely cross all the time - preferably incandescent with rage - to shout at everyone in the club, the media and even passers by for good measure.

new owner to ban the woman's team. In fact ban women from Tynecastle.

and close down all non footballing activities so they can stare at our players whilst training and playing. and then shout at some office staff.

Anyone on here come to mind??

The right man has been here all along.

Who would have guessed it😳

Rogue Daddy
3 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

:)

reminds me, we also need a new owner who is very shouty, extremely cross all the time - preferably incandescent with rage - to shout at everyone in the club, the media and even passers by for good measure.

new owner to ban the woman's team. In fact ban women from Tynecastle.

and close down all non footballing activities so they can stare at our players whilst training and playing. and then shout at some office staff.

monty.jpg

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

🤣

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

The cup match in isolation is not a reason. 

Leeds have barely won a cup match under Bielsa but the club correctly have realised limitations, greater goals and improvement. 

However, for ourselves cup competition is really an important goal for building cash, momentum and a feeling of bon homie. 

Its been a tough gig for Neilson this time around and certainly there's mitigation that plenty just want to ignore, problem for me,  he just isn't the dynamic we need. 

I feel sympathy for him while probably seeking a bright new start from a decent enough platform. 

Its not anywhere close to being as bleak as people would have us believe, open your eyes to some of the other teams, Aberdeen toiling at Dumbarton, Motherwell struggling with the same Morton, United at Forfar bottom of third, St Mirren at home to ICT.

The difficulty is what has gone by.

The difficulty is someone igniting this football club, the performance is average at best, but with the tools available it could be ignited and quickly I believe 

It's been a tough gig for Neilson? Are you currently high on strong paste?? He was tasked with getting out a pub league, and make no mistake that's exactly what it is, and he's hobbled over the line with mostly keek performances and some shocker results.

He was drawn against part time, bottom of the league Alloa in the wee cup and bombed. He was drawn against Highland Coo herders in the big cup and bombed. His gig this year couldn't have been any easier and he's made an absolute dugs dinner of it.

I'm intrigued to know exactly what the mitigation is.

9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think he lucked out with what he inherited the first time here, but fans of MK Dons, United, and his 2nd spell at Hearts will all have the same complaints of an overly cautious, boring style, with very little in the way of attacking nous.

A real Neilson team isn't the swashbuckling 14/15, winning the championship at a canter version, but the eye bleeding, 5 consecutive away draws 20/21 version. If he's allowed to stay for next season nothing will change.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Fair enough for posting but I just don’t believe it. What’s to be gained by him hanging about ? I don’t believe him leaving or another manager agreeing to come in could have been kept under wraps. Hope you’re right but I’m calling bullshit. 

No need to delete your account if it is bs though the embarrassment should be enough. 

Personally I don’t see Neilson leaving either however the reasoning isn’t unbelievable and probably fits into how budge has approached situations in the past.

It’s clear that Budge likes Neilson and also hasn’t been known to make quick decisions. Wanting to do right by Neilson and allow him to lift the league title isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

32 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yeah but he would need directions to the stadium 😁

11 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I think he lucked out with what he inherited the first time here, but fans of MK Dons, United, and his 2nd spell at Hearts will all have the same complaints of an overly cautious, boring style, with very little in the way of attacking nous.

A real Neilson team isn't the swashbuckling 14/15, winning the championship at a canter version, but the eye bleeding, 5 consecutive away draws 20/21 version. If he's allowed to stay for next season nothing will change.

I think your first point is very harsh. He almost had to build a team from scratch and a lot of the signings that year were successful ones. Whilst he benefited no doubt from youngsters getting more game time the year before I don’t think you can take away the achievement of rail roaring a league with rangers and hibs in it.

However I do feel he has had an opportunity to win fans over this year and has failed. He’s too predictable and really difficult to watch, especially away from home. As a result I feel we need a new manager but also fundamental changes from top to bottom in the club.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Fair enough for posting but I just don’t believe it. What’s to be gained by him hanging about ? I don’t believe him leaving or another manager agreeing to come in could have been kept under wraps. Hope you’re right but I’m calling bullshit. 

No need to delete your account if it is bs though the embarrassment should be enough. 

He leaves with his reputation out with the Hearts support intact? 

Clerry Jambo

I thought we had hit rock bottom but last nights performance was a sackable offence on its own

The players need to be having a good look at themselves as well, stinking attitude

Neilson being stubborn and doing a Levein.

18 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The question for me is, what caused the change in style? In our first few games of 15/16 we did some more swashbuckling, opening with a 4-3 win over St Johnstone etc. 

Was the game against Aberdeen at Tynecastle, when we were 3-0 down at half time, and thereafter his style of play changed to become more pragmatic, such a huge traumatic influence on him that it caused him to permanently re-shape his preferred playing style?

24 minutes ago, lou said:

And the kitchen 😉

14 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The question for me is, what caused the change in style? In our first few games of 15/16 we did some more swashbuckling, opening with a 4-3 win over St Johnstone etc. 

Was the game against Aberdeen at Tynecastle, when we were 3-0 down at half time, and thereafter his style of play changed to become more pragmatic, such a huge traumatic influence on him that it caused him to permanently re-shape his preferred playing style?

Good post , the oh but his football has always been eye bleeding is pish. Unfortunately after that game it became very defensive minded. Effective but mindnumbing

15 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I think your first point is very harsh. He almost had to build a team from scratch and a lot of the signings that year were successful ones. Whilst he benefited no doubt from youngsters getting more game time the year before I don’t think you can take away the achievement of rail roaring a league with rangers and hibs in it

I've just checked the starting elevens for the first and last games of 14/15, and both had 6 players from the relegation season, so he certainly wasn't building a team from scratch.

Some good signings were made, with Sow Bauben and Gomis probably the highlights and Alexander a solid enough keeper too.

It was a good achievement and something worth celebrating, and I wasn't among the Phoodle brigade until the Brora game.

But as others have noted it's actually difficult to decipher what Neilson's style actually is nowadays, the players don't seem to know either.

If pushed, I'd say he is a disciple of the Alex Miller school of "look you start the game with one point, don't lose it".

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on. Nasty German looking to change Leveins set up and make them less cosy and more professional. 

No one called him nasty ffs. 

He taken us from 10th to bottom by 4 points then the season ended early. 

He failed in his number 1 job, to keep us at least 11th. 

Despite being a likeable guy that could have worked out long term, he failed miserabley in his short term objective which was to make us less shite than we were under  CL. 

Being German was also irrelevant. 

gorgieheart

Is he here yet ?  or still incoming  ?  travelling from Mars on the back of that wee helicopter thing perhaps  ?

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, sadj said:

Good post , the oh but his football has always been eye bleeding is pish. Unfortunately after that game it became very defensive minded. Effective but mindnumbing

I see it more complicated than just that. 

Teams treated us like a pishy promoted club, but after the first 5 games or so realised we weren't and they Become a bit more defensive and wiser. 

Teams simply won't roll over, they'll look at previous and adapt. 

We scored 4 v St Johnstone, smashed ict I think 5-0, won our first 5. No doubt other managers paid a bit more attention to our fixture after that. 

Later on imo We also struggled to replace Sow, cathro then ruined even the half decent players we had. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I've been thinking this myself... since AB gave her backing all these weeks ago (prior to Brora), there's not been a peep out of the club backing the manager. Zilch. I would have expected something of note, if he was to remain 🤷‍♂️

Budge doesn't give out much in the way of statements since her fall from grace with sections of the support. In fact she probably wishes we'd all just go away and not bother her.....

Frank Sidebottom
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Despite being a likeable guy that could have worked out long term, he failed miserabley in his short term objective which was to make us less shite than we were under  CL. 

you have conveniently omitted that the season was curtailed to suit the point you are making. 

You cannot say he failed if he was not given the full compliment of games to achieve his objective. 

Rogue Daddy
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Budge doesn't give out much in the way of statements since her fall from grace with sections of the support. In fact she probably wishes we'd all just go away and not bother her.....

I does come across that way... her last statement (about the protest) was very condescending.

2 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

Maybe but I don’t remember levy coming out and saying Jose was getting his 3 years only a few weeks ago. 

Do you remember him saying the opposite?

Just now, daavojaay said:

He would have no reason to be saying this to press only few days ago if he was offski,i would take bloody sic boy out of trainspotting over robbie neilson,at least would be entertaining but sadly cant see him going anywhere.

41 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Didn't he get more points per game that season than Levein?

That would suggest he made us better; he's not the manager of our rivals so has little control over how many points they accumulated.

jamboinglasgow
14 hours ago, Hendolad said:

Ok following up from my open post on this page (I said to my son after that I wouldn't post again) Robbie or whatever you want to call him will leave the club within a fortnight.New manager is in place and between him and Savage signing targets have been identified.

If our manager isn't gone by then I will close my Kickback account down.as before believe what you want but I thought this may be of some interest. 

Thanks for the post, missed this when it first came round as I had a long break off kickback.

I think it is the best option for the club, bring major changes at a time when we can do them in the summer, let Robbie finish the season and go off with his third Championship trophy under his belt (I do feel for him and think while there is plenty he has to take blame for this season, there is other factors that get ignored as its easier to see one person to blame.)

However, I do worry this is like all the rumours leading up to the 2019 Scottish cup final. There were plenty of people coming on here saying Levein is going to leave after the cup final and they had heard from sources this is happening. Then it doesn't happen and we all know what happens next. Part of me just cant see us getting rid of a manager (and I imagine his two assistants) who all have 2 years left on their contract, so will cost us, when he has achieved his main objective of getting us promoted, I think Ann Budge is too trusting of people.

Hopefully Neilsons gone at the end of the season. I hope its done in such a way that the maximum time is afforded to the new manager to rebuild the squad over the summer. (i.e day after the last game of the season).

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

My point is she didn’t get him back for one year. She did an interview stating he was here for three, laughing as she did it with that condescending I know better than the fans smile. 

"Robbie will be here for 3 years. It's not everyone's view BUT IT's MINE".

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I don't think we've ever replaced Gomis and Bauben or have tried to with different player types, not as good and on more wages.

And repeat elsewhere in the team.

1 hour ago, lou said:

He could get directions from the map to the restaurant on trip advisor

Near enough surely?

Diadora Van Basten
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I don't think we've ever replaced Gomis and Bauben or have tried to with different player types, not as good and on more wages.

Exactly correct we signed Anderson and Kitchen supposed upgrades which were awful then Djoum who was an upgrade but didn’t play with the same heart.

Buaben ended up playing every position on the park to his detriment.

6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

There was certainly a move away, possibly due to Brexit, from taking gambles on foreign Bosman signings, think Djoum, Rossi, Juanma, Augustyn, Pallardo etc to signing players with experience of British football from 2016 onwards. January 2016 we signed Cowie, summer 2016 Sammon, 2017 Smith, Lafferty, Berra etc.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

I've just checked the starting elevens for the first and last games of 14/15, and both had 6 players from the relegation season, so he certainly wasn't building a team from scratch.

Some good signings were made, with Sow Bauben and Gomis probably the highlights and Alexander a solid enough keeper too.

It was a good achievement and something worth celebrating, and I wasn't among the Phoodle brigade until the Brora game.

But as others have noted it's actually difficult to decipher what Neilson's style actually is nowadays, the players don't seem to know either.

If pushed, I'd say he is a disciple of the Alex Miller school of "look you start the game with one point, don't lose it".

I'm where you are with Robbie. Want him to do well but he's not so time is up.

The bit in bold, I don't think that's his style.  I think it's more a case of we're the better team here. Keep the ball, pass it around, wait for opportunities because they will come, keep probing but dictate the play and create opportunities when the opportunity presents itself.

The problem is the players aren't good enough, he's trying to play Man City type football with players that don't have the ability or physicality.  Trying to be too clever for his own good and what we get is sideways passes and passes backwards instead of forward due to the obsession with keeping the ball.  No point having the fecking thing if you do feck all with it!

4 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There was certainly a move away, possibly due to Brexit, from taking gambles on foreign Bosman signings, think Djoum, Rossi, Juanma, Augustyn, Pallardo etc to signing players with experience of British football from 2016 onwards. January 2016 we signed Cowie, summer 2016 Sammon, 2017 Smith, Lafferty, Berra etc.

But the thread's not about that.

It's about an incoming manager.

What's happened is in the past.  It's lost and gone.

Just now, JamboAl said:

But the thread's not about that.

It's about an incoming manager.

What's happened is in the past.  It's lost and gone.

I disagree, it's about a discussion about replacing the manager/head coach, so I think it's reasonable to analyse his past endeavours and the strategy or lack thereof of the club.

I'm keen to try to understand why 2014/15 Robbie Neilson, played dynamic attacking football and has since seemingly abandoned that style.

7 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Pretty sure that particular shift was originally due to Cathros horrendous january transfer window, think it was Cathro himself who said he'd learned his lesson and would be looking at british based players instead and that's when we went for Lafferty and the likes

One of Neilson's main problems as a manager is he sets up to counter threats from diddy opposition when in reality it is them who should be worried about us.

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

But you told us in your defence of <insert any manager that isn’t Stendel > that managers should be judged over a whole season?

1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

We also had avery low average in that team IIRC. Made up of hungry youngsters and a few decent signings. 

I remember being stunned that Pallardo signed for us :laugh:

I wish i knew what was RN's mentality was regarding tactics etc back then and wonder if it was the same tactics/set up he is using now. Of course there is more to it but i'm at a complete loss towards our performances this season. 

And remember back then we had Hibs and Rangers in the league and we had Levein as well.

Edited by Pap

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

you have conveniently omitted that the season was curtailed to suit the point you are making. 

You cannot say he failed if he was not given the full compliment of games to achieve his objective. 

I Actually said " then the season was ended early" 

Clearly I did consider that. 

Yes he might have, and imo would have got us to 11th, but nobody will know either way. 

I'll can only  go on  what actually happened. 

10th place to 4 adrift at bottom is also not what I'd call success over any substantial term of games either way. 

End of the day the managers weve hired,Levien was a defender= defensive crappy football..Neilson is the same,Stendel was a striker so played attacking football,if were gonna hire an ex player please make sure they were an attacking midfielder that was creative as thats what we need.I know people maybe dont think this means ****all butif u look at it,it does actually matter.. no more ex defenders anyway please

Clerry Jambo
15 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

One of Neilson's main problems as a manager is he sets up to counter threats from diddy opposition when in reality it is them who should be worried about us.

Correct we had many attacking players in the side last night but spent their time chasing shadows going backwards GMS boycey Henderson mcenuff and even big nando to his credit was continually chasing back 

ford donald
8 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Correct we had many attacking players in the side last night but spent their time chasing shadows going backwards GMS boycey Henderson mcenuff and even big nando to his credit was continually chasing back 

It was another pathetic performance,changes coming soon me thinks.

I hope it’s a case of Ann giving Robbie the end of the season, so he can leave having completed the promotion he was asked to achieve, then as others have said, a ‘by mutual agreement...we thank Robbie for his contribution’ statement follows with immediate appointment of a new manager.

Ann ensuring a dignified exit for him - which I think is a generosity most owners wouldn’t extend given performances and results. 
I’m hoping the threat of lack of season ticket sales should they maintain the status quo, has finally been taken seriously, and there’s been some learning from the levein debacle. 
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

5 minutes ago, topsport said:

I hope it’s a case of Ann giving Robbie the end of the season, so he can leave having completed the promotion he was asked to achieve, then as others have said, a ‘by mutual agreement...we thank Robbie for his contribution’ statement follows with immediate appointment of a new manager.

Ann ensuring a dignified exit for him - which I think is a generosity most owners wouldn’t extend given performances and results. 
I’m hoping the threat of lack of season ticket sales should they maintain the status quo, has finally been taken seriously, and there’s been some learning from the levein debacle. 
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Its a real opportunity to start next season strongly. Promotion bounce, new manager, renewed enthusiasm etc. 

If Robbie is still here the enthusiasm won't be. 

Just now, OTT said:

Its a real opportunity to start next season strongly. Promotion bounce, new manager, renewed enthusiasm etc. 

If Robbie is still here the enthusiasm won't be. 

Absolutely agree.
I’m not in the demonise individuals camp, I think Robbie and AB certainly want the club to succeed, it just hasn’t worked, at all 😫

Change needed as soon as the final whistle on the last day of the season goes (at the latest) in my view. Then maybe, just maybe we’ve got a chance at looking forward to the season to come. 
🤞👍

36 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

End of the day the managers weve hired,Levien was a defender= defensive crappy football..Neilson is the same,Stendel was a striker so played attacking football,if were gonna hire an ex player please make sure they were an attacking midfielder that was creative as thats what we need.I know people maybe dont think this means ****all butif u look at it,it does actually matter.. no more ex defenders anyway please

I’ll get shot down for this but I’d actually give Neil McCann a years contract ( sort of a trial) to see what he can do. Don’t know if he’d go with it but he’s on a short term deal at Inverness, as long as he doesn’t bring Billy Dodds with him. Don’t think it would be as expensive as other names quoted on here. 

3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I thought we had hit rock bottom but last nights performance was a sackable offence on its own

The players need to be having a good look at themselves as well, stinking attitude

Neilson being stubborn and doing a Levein.

Aye but the ptich was terrible. Only for Hearts it would seem. :biglaugh:

• davemclaren locked this topic