New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

28 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

An extract from article from when he left to go to Norwich. 

this notion that he is a poor manager is just ill informed crap. He has never finished in a lower position that he should have. And has often had teams punching above their weight.

Alex Neil began his season with a Scottish League Cup tie against Arbroath, and finished it overseeing Norwich's Premier League play-off final victory over Middlesbrough. In between, he guided Hamilton to a startling first season back in the top-flight, a tale that briefly looked as though it might eclipse all others this season.

For 26 days in October, Hamilton topped the Premiership, a remarkable feat for a side that had not been in the top-flight for four years. The club kept faith with the players who had earned promotion by defeating Hibernian in the play-off final, and trusted that Neil himself could adapt to top-flight management in only his second season in charge.

Instead, he excelled. Playing composed, ordered football, catching opponents on the break and allowing attacking freedom to the likes of Dougie Imrie, Tony Andreu and Ali Crawford, Hamilton went on a run of nine unbeaten league games after losing their opening match to Inverness. 

That sequence included a 1-0 win at Celtic Park,their first victory at the stadium since 1938.

I looked on a PNE forum a few weeks back and there seemed to be a mixed bag on Neil leaving.  There was a theme around being negative, rigid in his tactics and ability to change things during a game and in making substitutions. It all sounded very familiar.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stranraer-jambo

Derek McInnes: Former Aberdeen boss 'open to anything' after Pittodrie exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56851719

DM reminding Clubs (us) he is available?

Or is it a done deal he is our next manager and this is a way of him saying complimentary things about us?

Coincidence this interview has been made at this time?

Or am I looking too deep into it and talking bullocks? (Rhetorical question😂)

I am not ITK.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s absolute nonsense. 

wins championship with Hamilton

3rd with hamilton despite smallest budget in league

promoted with Norwich 

7th with Preston

14th with Preston 

9th with Preston 

despite having a budget between 16th smallest and smallest in the championship. 

You missed out relegated with Norwich surprisingly then only 7 wins in 24 following season before sacked. Left Preston with them 16th, so that’s 7th,14th,9th, and 16th at Preston. Hardly inspiring. 

More worrying is that when he was sacked by Norwich he blamed poor recruitment. That was recruitment led by him and Savage. 

Alex Neil

"I’d certainly manage again in Scotland if I was given the opportunity. I keep being asked what my plans are next. It’s a strange one, my plans next will be dictated by someone actively wanting to talk to me about a manager’s role. That then would become my next plan."

Italian Lambretta
4 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Derek McInnes: Former Aberdeen boss 'open to anything' after Pittodrie exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56851719

Or is it a done deal he is our next manager and this is a way of him saying complimentary things about us?

I am not ITK.

He's definitely waiting on the call from Tynie. Whether the call comes this season or next when we are in dire straits remains to be seen.

46 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup but when Alex Neil left to join Norwich they were sitting 3rd place after 20 games, having won 12 games in that time, drawn 3 and lost 5.  Considering they went without a win in their next 13 games after he left and only finished 7th shows how strong a performance he did that season while he was there.

Don’t think you get any credit on here for a second or third place position when you ‘walk out’ on a club for a much bigger salary 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

You missed out relegated with Norwich surprisingly then only 7 wins in 24 following season before sacked. Left Preston with them 16th, so that’s 7th,14th,9th, and 16th at Preston. Hardly inspiring. 

More worrying is that when he was sacked by Norwich he blamed poor recruitment. That was recruitment led by him and Savage. 

It was mostly the poor recruitment...in that they hardly signed anyone in the summer. They thought they could survive with the players that got them promoted. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

promoted with Norwich 

7th with Preston

14th with Preston 

9th with Preston 

My comment was battling to stay out of a relegation battle. How do you interpret relegation with Norwich, sacked by Norwich when 12th, then 7th, 14th, 9th and 16th at Preston as anything other than being in, or battling to stay out of, relegation battles?  
Hardly nonsense.  

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think you get any credit on here for a second or third place position when you ‘walk out’ on a club for a much bigger salary 

Levein didn't compliment him either on his "walk out". 

kingantti1874
Just now, soonbe110 said:

He was relegated form the EPL  with Norwich, finished 19th with the smallest budget in the EPL 3 points from safety.  Not exactly a disgrace is it.

I don’t think he has ever finished in position less than he should have given financial constraints.  Preston have the 16th highest  budget, they sold most of the players when he had them 7th and then they did it again when they finished 9th. 

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

It was mostly the poor recruitment...in that they hardly signed anyone in the summer. They thought they could survive with the players that got them promoted. 

Yep, completely underestimated their squads capabilities and the level of the league they were playing in. 

14 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

It's definitely not going to be Alex Neil. You can take that to the bank

Never a chance it was. Lots of jobs within commuting distance coming up for him this summer. 

13 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

I am not ITK.

Pretty sure it’s either Neilson or McInnes in the hot seat come August. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

My comment was battling to stay out of a relegation battle. How do you interpret relegation with Norwich, sacked by Norwich when 12th, then 7th, 14th, 9th and 16th at Preston as anything other than being in, or battling to stay out of, relegation battles?  
Hardly nonsense.  

You realise there are 24 teams in the English championship right? 7th and 9th are great achievements for a club with very small budget - just outside the playoffs. 14th is mid table and followed a season where they sold most of their good players.

8 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

He's definitely waiting on the call from Tynie. Whether the call comes this season or next when we are in dire straits remains to be seen.

Needs to drop his wage demands significantly. If he doesn’t get any suitable offers this summer he just might. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He was relegated form the EPL  with Norwich, finished 19th with the smallest budget in the EPL 3 points from safety.  Not exactly a disgrace is it.

I don’t think he has ever finished in position less than he should have given financial constraints.  Preston have the 16th highest  budget, they sold most of the players when he had them 7th and then they did it again when they finished 9th. 

Mediocre mid-table is his style and record 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You realise there are 24 teams in the English championship right? 7th and 9th are great achievements for a club with very small budget - just outside the playoffs. 14th is mid table and followed a season where they sold most of their good players.

Yep and usually 6/8 of them are in the relegation dogfight which means anything from 12-16th is just staying out of trouble 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep and usually 6/8 of them are in the relegation dogfight which means anything from 12-16th is just staying out of trouble 

I think you are making it up as you go along but but I don’t have a great desire to continue the debate.

Last post on the subject today.  His record with Hamilton was borderline incredible and the football was excellent , his promotion with Norwich great. In the subsequent seasons he’s had 2 great finishes especially the one in 7th. With the exception of the relegation season at Norwich (which was entirely to be expected) at worst he’s been mid table in the championship and this has usually happened in the seasons where he’s needed to rebuild the team. 

one thing he isn’t doing is “fighting relegation every season” it was nonsense when you posted it earlier and it’s still nonsense 

cheers

AlphonseCapone

Caught out again with the "hot" topic tag on this thread. Just the same shite endlessly. 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Needs to drop his wage demands significantly. If he doesn’t get any suitable offers this summer he just might. 

Won't be a problem.

3 hours ago, EH11 said:

I looked on a PNE forum a few weeks back and there seemed to be a mixed bag on Neil leaving.  There was a theme around being negative, rigid in his tactics and ability to change things during a game and in making substitutions. It all sounded very familiar.

Sounded very familiar ?

Maybe that means fans forums are toxic ?

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

promoted with Norwich 

7th with Preston

14th with Preston 

9th with Preston 

Minor point he never won the championship with Hamilton. They won the playoff beating hibs. Dundee won the championship that season

The last I heard, Robbie has already identified and talking to potential new comers as well as some in the current squad to release 

I can’t believe there is genuinely people who believe that Ann will get rid of him. It’s just not happening folks. She would have done so by now, and if she was serious in the first place 

The cheque book will be opened and handed to RN. Like it, or not, he will be leading us into the premiership next year 

God help us. That’s about all that I can muster. Hopefully Ann leaves before long, and so we can start looking to progress on the football side. 

New Manager. It just ain’t happening. Might as well close this thread. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s just about the easiest job in football.

Ok. Typical exaggeration that has now become increasingly popular to justify the argument.

Already stated in threads for weeks he is unlikely to be the man to boost the dynamic the support want, but the criticism is rarely balanced. 

Selected results seem to be chosen. Dundee away rather than home cup ties lost rather than cup ties won, or lost on penalties. 

The truth is Neilson is average, can we do better yes, is he a disaster no.

Was he ever going to get any credit for this season, no, was he on a hiding to nothing, absolutely, not a job I fancy 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ok. Typical exaggeration that has now become increasingly popular to justify the argument.

Already stated in threads for weeks he is unlikely to be the man to boost the dynamic the support want, but the criticism is rarely balanced. 

Selected results seem to be chosen. Dundee away rather than home cup ties lost rather than cup ties won, or lost on penalties. 

The truth is Neilson is average, can we do better yes, is he a disaster no.

Was he ever going to get any credit for this season, no, was he on a hiding to nothing, absolutely, not a job I fancy 

I think it’s right to point out a lack of balance. I’d say people’s opinions, on both sides of the fence, are being formed on what they think will happen next season rather than what has happened this season. Where I disagree is I have little doubt next season will be a disaster under RN, he’s just not a good manager, can’t motivate players and always resorts to very negative tactics when the chips are down. Comparisons with Craig Levein are very obvious and we could easily be in serious bother of Robbie stayed. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I think it’s right to point out a lack of balance. I’d say people’s opinions, on both sides of the fence, are being formed on what they think will happen next season rather than what has happened this season. Where I disagree is I have little doubt next season will be a disaster under RN, he’s just not a good manager, can’t motivate players and always resorts to very negative tactics when the chips are down. Comparisons with Craig Levein are very obvious and we could easily be in serious bother of Robbie stayed. 

Most I would agree with except we won't be in serious trouble. 

It will be vanilla and vanilla simply is something we are all sick of. Mr Normal is not going to push us on. 

The Premier is a style where teams will play more, not so worried about games like Tuesday but more concerned that we will still lack imagination to bother teams enough. 

I look at Dundee United, they are a barometer, we should not be worried about struggling but more concerned that we need to raise the profile to be taking Hibs off that perch soonest 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It will be vanilla and vanilla simply is something we are all sick of. Mr Normal is not going to push us on. 

The Premier is a style where teams will play more, not so worried about games like Tuesday but more concerned that we will still lack imagination to bother teams enough. 

I look at Dundee United, they are a barometer, we should not be worried about struggling but more concerned that we need to raise the profile to be taking Hibs off that perch soonest 

I am not as convinced as you about that SG. Like practically every season in the premiership much will depend on how we start. If we start fast or steadily (winning most home games as we will be awful away) then it will in all probability be vanilla. If we don't then this management team and squad have shown this calendar year that they are capable of being very poor for a sustained period of time and have no tactical clue how to change things. It could quite easily get ugly quickly.

As for the cups don't get me started! Any Hearts manager should be told cups are the priority. As your username vividly illustrates any amount of crap in the league is instantly forgotten if you win a cup.

25 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Third paragraph is my biggest concern. It all feels very constrained in an attacking sense and RN seems to just get more defensive when we are not scoring goals. It’s the old - keep it tight and we’ll nick a goal mantra, we’ll score one but they’ll score none. Fine in principal but it just doesn’t work. 

16 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I am not as convinced as you about that SG. Like practically every season in the premiership much will depend on how we start. If we start fast or steadily (winning most home games as we will be awful away) then it will in all probability be vanilla. If we don't then this management team and squad have shown this calendar year that they are capable of being very poor for a sustained period of time and have no tactical clue how to change things. It could quite easily get ugly quickly.

As for the cups don't get me started! Any Hearts manager should be told cups are the priority. As your username vividly illustrates any amount of crap in the league is instantly forgotten if you win a cup.

A good start is essential because there will be a noticeable decline. Where players revert to safe passes, easy but negative options and play deeper than they have in their entire careers. Once the team gets into that negative style, we already know, it’s very difficult to get out of it. 

11 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think you are making it up as you go along but but I don’t have a great desire to continue the debate.

Last post on the subject today.  His record with Hamilton was borderline incredible and the football was excellent , his promotion with Norwich great. In the subsequent seasons he’s had 2 great finishes especially the one in 7th. With the exception of the relegation season at Norwich (which was entirely to be expected) at worst he’s been mid table in the championship and this has usually happened in the seasons where he’s needed to rebuild the team. 

one thing he isn’t doing is “fighting relegation every season” it was nonsense when you posted it earlier and it’s still nonsense 

cheers

Show me where I said he was ‘fighting relegation every season’. 
I said he was trying to avoid a relegation battle most seasons. Finishing anywhere in bottom half is exactly that to me. His ‘great’ season with Norwich was only a four month spell given it was the January he joined them. 
Don’t believe he is the solution to our problems. 

8 hours ago, iainmac said:

Won't be a problem.

Why not?  I heard initial sounding out suggested it would be. But then again I doubted whether that initial approach had actually been made. He is certainly an expensive hire, probably minimum of £10-12k pw for him and his sidekick combined, potentially a lot more. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Jodami said:

I think we over estimate the opposition. Hearts problem is Hearts. Totally agreed on cups, though COVID cups seem to bother me less, if you can't be there seem irrelevant to me. But we know that was a difficulty prior stint which bothers me quite a bit 

john thomas
19 hours ago, sadj said:

Wasnt there a poster last year did the same thing offered to leave , name escapes me but always claimed to be itk due to something they did at Riccarton

Did they fall on their [ bouncy] sword ?

18 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

if the rumours do come true and Robbie goes, and Alex Neil is made manager (I know there are rumoured 4 candidates),  does anyone know what his style of football is?

Alex Neil, Derek McInnes, .. & .. ? 

Duncan Ferguson still in there?

20 hours ago, sadj said:

Jimmy Dunne type signings? Players playing in the English Premiership? 😒 set your sights high i suppose 👍🏻

Kind of missing the point a wee bit (we're not talking a Man City/Liverpool etc here) but what i mean is that if he is out of contract he'll be looking to move on. I'm sure his agent will be looking around for him and chances are he'll play in the Championship down south as i don't see any Premier clubs signing him if he's not played that often for Burnley. However, not all players are looking for megabucks and some are happy to take a move sideways for a couple of seasons and then hope for the big bucks move. He has played for the club before, knows Hearts and loved it here, even saying he hopes he'll play again for us one day. At 23, this would be the perfect time and an automatic (left-sided) replacement for Berra. There's nothing to stop him signing a two/three year contract and if he does well, he gets us a big transfer fee in future. It's about speculating to accumulate, something that's been severely lacking for years at Hearts. We'd rather sign players from lower Leagues with no sell-on value that aren't even good enough for the club they're at. A freebie that is seen as replaceable by a Fleetwood Town or Tranmere type club etc. so why should they be good enough for us. 

I'm well aware we won't sign a player like this, you have to have ambition to do that, something we've not been in a long time. If the club wants to progress though, and be taken seriously then that should (on occasion) be the market we're looking at, and the best young talent in Scotland as well. If not, a mid-table unambitious battle will be the best we do.

18 hours ago, Newton51 said:

This thread should be closed. Not happening 

Sadly this

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Kind of missing the point a wee bit (we're not talking a Man City/Liverpool etc here) but what i mean is that if he is out of contract he'll be looking to move on. I'm sure his agent will be looking around for him and chances are he'll play in the Championship down south as i don't see any Premier clubs signing him if he's not played that often for Burnley. However, not all players are looking for megabucks and some are happy to take a move sideways for a couple of seasons and then hope for the big bucks move. He has played for the club before, knows Hearts and loved it here, even saying he hopes he'll play again for us one day. At 23, this would be the perfect time and an automatic (left-sided) replacement for Berra. There's nothing to stop him signing a two/three year contract and if he does well, he gets us a big transfer fee in future. It's about speculating to accumulate, something that's been severely lacking for years at Hearts. We'd rather sign players from lower Leagues with no sell-on value that aren't even good enough for the club they're at. A freebie that is seen as replaceable by a Fleetwood Town or Tranmere type club etc. so why should they be good enough for us. 

I'm well aware we won't sign a player like this, you have to have ambition to do that, something we've not been in a long time. If the club wants to progress though, and be taken seriously then that should (on occasion) be the market we're looking at, and the best young talent in Scotland as well. If not, a mid-table unambitious battle will be the best we do.

Just ambition?

Not money?

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Yh thats for the most part a decent post , i still think a bit ambitious but the general idea and tone I agree with. 

10 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

The last I heard, Robbie has already identified and talking to potential new comers as well as some in the current squad to release 

I can’t believe there is genuinely people who believe that Ann will get rid of him. It’s just not happening folks. She would have done so by now, and if she was serious in the first place 

The cheque book will be opened and handed to RN. Like it, or not, he will be leading us into the premiership next year 

God help us. That’s about all that I can muster. Hopefully Ann leaves before long, and so we can start looking to progress on the football side. 

New Manager. It just ain’t happening. Might as well close this thread. 

This is where I’m at too.

If losing to Brora wasn’t enough for Robbie to get the sack, then he isn’t getting it now. No amount of whingeing from us is going to change that.

Yes, I am concerned about still being crap and caught up in a relegation battle next season, but to be fair, the only time Robbie has managed us in the SPL (possibly the only time he has managed there at all) he did fine results-wise, though the football was hard to watch after the style in which we won the Championship.

It doesn’t much matter though. Robbie is what we’re getting, so we may as well get used to it.

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

This is where I’m at too.

If losing to Brora wasn’t enough for Robbie to get the sack, then he isn’t getting it now. No amount of whingeing from us is going to change that.

Yes, I am concerned about still being crap and caught up in a relegation battle next season, but to be fair, the only time Robbie has managed us in the SPL (possibly the only time he has managed there at all) he did fine results-wise, though the football was hard to watch after the style in which we won the Championship.

It doesn’t much matter though. Robbie is what we’re getting, so we may as well get used to it.

Your second paragraph is bang on the money. I just cannot see how he can replicate the results he had first time around, and by playing the same way we have this season. There is zero evidence to suggest otherwise 

It appears to me that Ann now wants stability and has a desire to want to be proved right and vindicated that RN was the right appointment, because it was her preferred appointment. This could very well prove (yet again) to be her Achilles heel 

It’s all so depressing. There is NO WAY Neilson will be a success next season, a couple of good results..maybe, but over the season it will be mind numbingly bad... he will then be gone and, guess what, it’s back to rebuilding for season 22/23! I desperately want to enjoy my football again - I can’t remember the last time I was really excited about a match, looking forward to it to the point you simply can’t wait for match day to come round. Now I tune in to Hearts TV out of a sense of duty, knowing it is going to be simply awful.....and 99% of the time I am not disappointed! 

55 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Your second paragraph is bang on the money. I just cannot see how he can replicate the results he had first time around, and by playing the same way we have this season. There is zero evidence to suggest otherwise 

It appears to me that Ann now wants stability and has a desire to want to be proved right and vindicated that RN was the right appointment, because it was her preferred appointment. This could very well prove (yet again) to be her Achilles heel 

Ann wants stability? She is certainly going about it the wrong way!

Proved right?.....She has history for making one bad decision after another. She might just get lucky one day.....But it's doesn't look like she has backed the right horse this time. 
On top of that, her preferred appointment just might not be the right appointment for HMFC, as results and performance have shown  

She is so far out of her depth. Some have seen this sad depreciation in standards and a rapid free fall in quality going on for years now with growing and damning evidence of her making one bad business decision after another, all her faults are well documented and catalogued on here (Jbk)!

Now she has taken to hiding from her customer base. Official statements from some media bode that does nothing to placate the situation. Hardly the actions of someone who is growing in confidence that stability is just around the corner!

There is no way she, or her appointment of Neilson can be vindicated now! Neilson blew that chance she had right out the water. He has well and truly lost the support and goodwill of the main people associated to the club - The support

Furthermore can Budge realistically stick two fingers up to the noisy, malcontented support and say "I knew Robbie was the right man!"....We will be well past recovery before we ever see that day!

Sadly for Ann Budge her Achilles heel will be her interfering in the running of a football club!  

Edited by Hashimoto

7 hours ago, OTT said:

Alex Neil, Derek McInnes, .. & .. ? 

Duncan Ferguson still in there?

He’s in there with Jimmy Dunne.

jesus, I really am as obsessed with folk thinking we should sign Jimmy dunne as the folk who think we should sign Jimmy dunne.

am slowly doing similar with big dunc 

Edited by Jim Panzee

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

He’s in there with Jimmy Dunne.

jesus, I really am as obsessed with folk thinking we should sign Jimmy dunne as the folk who think we should sign Jimmy dunne.

am slowly doing similar with big dunc 

:D Its going to be a sickener when he gets unveiled and his first signing is Jimmy Dunne :P 

Trophy day would normally be the day the Board formally praise the manager and look forward to what he can achieve next season.

If no such praise is forthcoming Neilson will surely be gone after the Raith game.

On the other hand...

17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There's no danger that a competent board would allow Neilson to continue next season. 

We haven’t got a competent board.

1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Ann wants stability? She is certainly going about it the wrong way!

Proved right?.....She has history for making one bad decision after another. She might just get lucky one day.....But it's doesn't look like she has backed the right horse this time. 
On top of that, her preferred appointment just might not be the right appointment for HMFC, as results and performance have shown  

She is so far out of her depth. Some have seen this sad depreciation in standards and a rapid free fall in quality going on for years now with growing and damning evidence of her making one bad business decision after another, all her faults are well documented and catalogued on here (Jbk)!

Now she has taken to hiding from her customer base. Official statements from some media bode that does nothing to placate the situation. Hardly the actions of someone who is growing in confidence that stability is just around the corner!

There is no way she, or her appointment of Neilson can be vindicated now! Neilson blew that chance she had right out the water. He has well and truly lost the support and goodwill of the main people associated to the club - The support

Furthermore can Budge realistically stick two fingers up to the noisy, malcontented support and say "I knew Robbie was the right man!"....We will be well past recovery before we ever see that day!

Sadly for Ann Budge her Achilles heel will be her interfering in the running of a football club!  

I am saying that AB is now the problem. If you read my previous posts on this thread you will see that. I never wanted Neilson in the first place as I suspected what is happening now, would happen. 

You miss the fundamental point. Threads are starting with who will be the next manager - comments about Neilson leaving at the end of the season. Neilson ain’t going anywhere. 

AB has a habit of digging her heels in especially when it comes to being loyal with managerial appointments. All thought out and involving those that you could say are within her inner circle.

The only time she went left field was with Stendels appointment. There ain’t no way in hell she will do something like that again so yes, in her own mind, she will bury her head in the sand, hoping and praying that RN will come good 

She is self proclaimed at knowing nothing about football. Why therefore do folk think that she will wield the axe now, when she has proved time and time again, that she will be loyal to those around her, regardless of what the support think - 

Go and read my previous posts on this thread and others. I have made my own view point crystal clear that the day we “recover”, is the day she steps out of Tynecastle, and for good. 

• davemclaren locked this topic