New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

Marooned Abroad
38 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Any chance of putting your letter up on here?

Colin, here it is. I had to send a shorter version to The Scotsman but the message was the same.

Not a peep from the Club or FOH!

Dear Mrs Budge

I am writing to you as a supporter, Shareholder, FOH Member, and Season Ticket holder to express my deep concern about the malaise which is gripping our great Club.

My father and grandfather before him hailed from Gorgie, my whole family are committed Jambos, and although I have not lived in Scotland since the mid sixties, I have supported Hearts since I was a small boy around 70 years ago. During that time I and my family have been emotionally caught up in all the highs and lows of being Jambos, so I feel well qualified to express my deep concern about the present situation.

The result on Tuesday at Brora is (I hope) the nadir of the current crisis. As a number of commentators more qualified than me have said, it is something which has been coming for some time. I am sure you are aware that to retain support from the many thousands of us who have committed time and hard earned money to the Club, it needs to be turned round - now!

I have seen almost every game this season home and away on streaming services, and although we had a bright start, both the quality of the team’s performances and results have progressively deteriorated. Indeed it has been painful to to watch our games in the more recent past, although until Tuesdaysomehow we have scraped by.

It is plainly obvious that on the pitch, there is a lack of confidence, of ideas, and in some cases a lack of talent and effort. With a few notable exceptions, we seem to have a surfeit of players at the end of their careers, or who have not made it elsewhere. Also, where are the players from our much vaunted Academy whom we have been told on countless occasions in the past are to form our lifeblood going forward? If we have talented young players, we need them at Tynecastle, not wasting away in even lower Leagues. The names of Harry Stone, Cammy Logan, Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane spring immediately to mind.

The buck for all this has to stop at those responsible for the football side of the Club.

You and your team on the Board have done a magnificent job reviving our business from the dead and the infrastructure improvements have been plain to see. For that, thank you so much.

However, on the football side, by your own admission, you took too long to remove Craig Levein from the position of Head Coach. I therefore implore you not to make the same mistake again with Robbie Neilson and his team. Although we are on the face of it well on the way to gaining our rightful place in the Premier League, our position is at the moment somewhat illusory bearing in mind the decline in performance and the way that other team’s results have favoured us.

I would go so far as to suggest that if you are not prepared to act now, unless the current management team can revive our fortunes and win the Championship by at least 10 to 12 points, they can not be considered fit to get us back to a top 6 place in the Premier League, never mind top 3.

I implore you - please do not delay or procrastinate on this.

Thank you for reading my letter.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Japan Jambo
On 05/04/2021 at 14:20, OTT said:

If it is McInnes, can we show a bit of common sense and only offer a 2 year deal? I respect the idea that we need to re-establish ourselves in the top flight and build a team which reflects that, but I also don't want to descend back into a team of unsellable 28 year olds because the manager is too chicken shit to use the multimillion pound academy. 

Tbh, I think the club should be saying a certain % of the squad must be academy grads. 

Think I read that Aberdeen had put Glass on a rolling 12 month deal. Sounds way too sensible for our contracts department.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Based on what exactly? Neilson's CV was more fitting of a Hearts manager than McCann's was.

Recency bias is taking hold here.  McCann after a bit of a shaky start at Inverness is making his mark on the team and they're on a good run of form whilst scoring goals in the process.  Would the people suggesting he would be a good fit for the role be saying similar if Inverness weren't on this good run?

If he hadn't played for the club previously he wouldn't be getting considered and that should be enough to rule him out.

He was working under a lot of pressure at Dundee,he did not get the right  backing from within,I think he needs the right club with a decent DOF behind him, l proposed McCann before RN was appointed,

For your information.

51 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

After the Brora fiasco I wrote to Ann Budge in very reasonable terms, copied in Stuart Wallace, and wrote to The Scotsman. The Scotsman printed my letter the following Saturday, but I’ve had nothing from the Club, not even an acknowledgement. I’m pretty disgusted and even more demotivated now.

That about domes up the chancers running our club no account ability 

Stendelnator

For the folk talking about how McInnes bottled it against Celtic when it mattered - can I just ask how Hearts did in their last five cup games against them? If McInnes regularly gets us semis and finals then great. Also, as I recall he regularly beat Rangers until the last season or so. 

3 hours ago, ford donald said:

Do a better job than the current manager,another bloomer by Budge not appointing him before RN.

Are we basing this on him doin okay for a couple of weeks at ICT or his failure at Dundee?

I see nothing in him that suggests he can manage the basket case that is this Hearts team.

Loved him as a player.

Like him as a pundit

Not a Hearts manager for me but has, apparently been close on a couple of occasions so his appointment would not surprise me IF RN goes

6 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

For the folk talking about how McInnes bottled it against Celtic when it mattered - can I just ask how Hearts did in their last five cup games against them? If McInnes regularly gets us semis and finals then great. Also, as I recall he regularly beat Rangers until the last season or so. 

It really boils my piss when any defeat = bottled it on here. Nevermind the better team with multi million pound players deserved to win.

ford donald
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Are we basing this on him doin okay for a couple of weeks at ICT or his failure at Dundee?

I see nothing in him that suggests he can manage the basket case that is this Hearts team.

Loved him as a player.

Like him as a pundit

Not a Hearts manager for me but has, apparently been close on a couple of occasions so his appointment would not surprise me IF RN goes

I think you will find he will do a good job at Daley,and no I am not basing him on that,I proposed him before RN was appointed,there is a manager there,he had tough time of it at Dundee.

1 hour ago, Marooned Abroad said:

After the Brora fiasco I wrote to Ann Budge in very reasonable terms, copied in Stuart Wallace, and wrote to The Scotsman. The Scotsman printed my letter the following Saturday, but I’ve had nothing from the Club, not even an acknowledgement. I’m pretty disgusted and even more demotivated now.

I wrote to Budge a few years ago, and got no reply, or even a bog standard reply from  her or anyone.  Even when I wrote to Vlad (well Fedetovas), and Pieman, I got a reply. In Pieman’s reply, it was a load of nonsense, but he did reply. 

5 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I wrote to Budge a few years ago, and got no reply, or even a bog standard reply from  her or anyone.  Even when I wrote to Vlad (well Fedetovas), and Pieman, I got a reply. In Pieman’s reply, it was a load of nonsense, but he did reply. 

I wrote to Campbell Ogilvie a few years back and the guy set up a call with me to go over my concerns! Huge respect.

Wasn't a crayon munching season ticket burning email or that just concern of our direction on the pitch and off at that time, prob around 2009/10, maybe just pre JJ. Only time I've ever done anything like that.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
30 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He was working under a lot of pressure at Dundee,he did not get the right  backing from within,I think he needs the right club with a decent DOF behind him, l proposed McCann before RN was appointed,

For your information.

Doesn't answer why you think he would have been a better appointment than Neilson. At Dundee he made quite a big turnover of the squad in the summer and they were bottom of the league when he was sacked after some of the players proved to nowhere near good enough.  He got backed by the board and didn't deliver.

Doing well at Inverness but there's nothing to suggest he would be a good manager for us.  Would you want him if he didn't have such a close connection to the club from his playing career?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
34 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

We ran them closer in a final less than four months ago than McInnes did during his whole tenure.  The one final they should have won was the one that won Rodgers his first treble. Aberdeen scored early, wasted a great chance in the second half and then conceded a last minute winner.

That was probably the players more than the manager but their performances when it mattered on the whole were very poor.

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I wrote to Campbell Ogilvie a few years back and the guy set up a call with me to go over my concerns! Huge respect.

Wasn't a crayon munching season ticket burning email or that just concern of our direction on the pitch and off at that time, prob around 2009/10, maybe just pre JJ. Only time I've ever done anything like that.

I spoke to him at a Hearts Shareholder Association meeting once, discussing an ill friend who was a Hearts fan, to try and arrange something .  He gave me his business card so I could call.  Sadly my friend became too ill to arrange a visit to him, or from him, to Tynecastle.  

ford donald
1 minute ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Doesn't answer why you think he would have been a better appointment than Neilson. At Dundee he made quite a big turnover of the squad in the summer and they were bottom of the league when he was sacked after some of the players proved to nowhere near good enough.  He got backed by the board and didn't deliver.

Doing well at Inverness but there's nothing to suggest he would be a good manager for us.  Would you want him if he didn't have such a close connection to the club from his playing career?

I am not judging him as a ex player,he was trying to do too much at Dundee,doing several jobs at the same time,he freely admitted it himself,that was his downfall,I think he will be successful at the right club and proper backing.

Nookie Bear

Beating Celtic is lovely but I’m more concerned at our performances against the likes of Motherwell and St Johnstone. 

How does McInnes match up against them?

Stendelnator
8 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

We ran them closer in a final less than four months ago than McInnes did during his whole tenure.  The one final they should have won was the one that won Rodgers his first treble. Aberdeen scored early, wasted a great chance in the second half and then conceded a last minute winner.

That was probably the players more than the manager but their performances when it mattered on the whole were very poor.

We bottled our final. Ginnelly had a huge chance in stoppage time to win it, then we had the game won on penalties. 

I’m not going to rage at a manager who failed to beat Celtic during an unprecedented level of success under a manager who is working wonders with Leicester City now. If I wanted a manager who could beat Rodgers at Celtic I’d rehire Levein. Bigger picture here. 

ford donald
11 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

The football under RN is eye bleeding,his results are poor,his sightings are brutal,knocked out of cups small clubs,he complains about poor pitches,bad referees,opposing goalies playing well,for ****s sake get a grip man.you trying to tell me NM would be worse than him????

1 hour ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Colin, here it is. I had to send a shorter version to The Scotsman but the message was the same.

Dear Mrs Budge

I am writing to you as a supporter, Shareholder, FOH Member, and Season Ticket holder to express my deep concern about the malaise which is gripping our great Club.

My father and grandfather before him hailed from Gorgie, my whole family are committed Jambos, and although I have not lived in Scotland since the mid sixties, I have supported Hearts since I was a small boy around 70 years ago. During that time I and my family have been emotionally caught up in all the highs and lows of being Jambos, so I feel well qualified to express my deep concern about the present situation.

The result on Tuesday at Brora is (I hope) the nadir of the current crisis. As a number of commentators more qualified than me have said, it is something which has been coming for some time. I am sure you are aware that to retain support from the many thousands of us who have committed time and hard earned money to the Club, it needs to be turned round - now!

I have seen almost every game this season home and away on streaming services, and although we had a bright start, both the quality of the team’s performances and results have progressively deteriorated. Indeed it has been painful to to watch our games in the more recent past, although until Tuesdaysomehow we have scraped by.

It is plainly obvious that on the pitch, there is a lack of confidence, of ideas, and in some cases a lack of talent and effort. With a few notable exceptions, we seem to have a surfeit of players at the end of their careers, or who have not made it elsewhere. Also, where are the players from our much vaunted Academy whom we have been told on countless occasions in the past are to form our lifeblood going forward? If we have talented young players, we need them at Tynecastle, not wasting away in even lower Leagues. The names of Harry Stone, Cammy Logan, Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane spring immediately to mind.

The buck for all this has to stop at those responsible for the football side of the Club.

You and your team on the Board have done a magnificent job reviving our business from the dead and the infrastructure improvements have been plain to see. For that, thank you so much.

However, on the football side, by your own admission, you took too long to remove Craig Levein from the position of Head Coach. I therefore implore you not to make the same mistake again with Robbie Neilson and his team. Although we are on the face of it well on the way to gaining our rightful place in the Premier League, our position is at the moment somewhat illusory bearing in mind the decline in performance and the way that other team’s results have favoured us.

I would go so far as to suggest that if you are not prepared to act now, unless the current management team can revive our fortunes and win the Championship by at least 10 to 12 points, they can not be considered fit to get us back to a top 6 place in the Premier League, never mind top 3.

Good , reasonable , well argued letter .

But you can't really expect the club to answer what is , basically , a request to sack an employee .

Hopefully your letter , and maybe others , will have been looked at

30 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

We bottled our final. Ginnelly had a huge chance in stoppage time to win it, then we had the game won on penalties. 

I’m not going to rage at a manager who failed to beat Celtic during an unprecedented level of success under a manager who is working wonders with Leicester City now. If I wanted a manager who could beat Rodgers at Celtic I’d rehire Levein. Bigger picture here. 

Second half had nothing to do with the management. Players decided themselves on what was required. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
35 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

I don't disagree with you.  His record against Celtic at Hampden isn't something I'll hold against him but he should have had more to show for the "period of success" that Aberdeen went through.

I'm not against McInnes being appointed but I'm not all that bothered for it happening either.  He wouldn't be my first choice.

32 minutes ago, ford donald said:

The football under RN is eye bleeding,his results are poor,his sightings are brutal,knocked out of cups small clubs,he complains about poor pitches,bad referees,opposing goalies playing well,for ****s sake get a grip man.you trying to tell me NM would be worse than him????

There's certainly no evidence to suggest McCann would do any better?  Unless you can provide some of course.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

So. Think you are almost answering your own question. He hasn't done any better. That would be accepting more of the same. 

Watch their semi compare it to ourselves in the final, unless you hate Hearts its impossible to say anything other one team went out on their shields the other with a whimper. 

Not the main reason I would be against, I don't think he would unite the support or make us feel better about ourselves. 

Think we need a braver soul than Del

49 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I spoke to him at a Hearts Shareholder Association meeting once, discussing an ill friend who was a Hearts fan, to try and arrange something .  He gave me his business card so I could call.  Sadly my friend became too ill to arrange a visit to him, or from him, to Tynecastle.  

Sorry to hear that dude. Think Ogivlie maybe had faults, perhaps bit of an establishment man, but he was definitely a decent sort. He had a tough job at Hearts steadying an ever rockier ship under Vlad.

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

So. Think you are almost answering your own question. He hasn't done any better. That would be accepting more of the same. 

Watch their semi compare it to ourselves in the final, unless you hate Hearts its impossible to say anything other one team went out on their shields the other with a whimper. 

Not the main reason I would be against, I don't think he would unite the support or make us feel better about ourselves. 

The fact every Don I know dislikes the guy is the big red flag!

Good, generally rational dudes I'm good mates with somewhere between apathetic and disdainful about his tenure.

Don't want him. Not for 1 minute

28 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Good , reasonable , well argued letter .

But you can't really expect the club to answer what is , basically , a request to sack an employee .

Hopefully your letter , and maybe others , will have been looked at

All true but the very least they should do is acknowledge receipt. That's just a common courtesy.

I received an email response from FoH in which they thanked me for my civil and constructive tone and comments.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The fact every Don I know dislikes the guy is the big red flag!

Good, generally rational dudes I'm good mates with somewhere between apathetic and disdainful about his tenure.

Don't want him. Not for 1 minute

I am surrounded by them 24 7 my other half loved him, my brother too but both fed up long before the end. 

The bit I am struggling with, complaining about grinding out results but yet this is what Aberdeen have done for years on end. And now they have got to a point where they can't do that any longer. 

Another factor which hasn't been mentioned. 

8 years is a long time. Be some baggage there, I would rather someone else got his rebound

ford donald
39 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I don't disagree with you.  His record against Celtic at Hampden isn't something I'll hold against him but he should have had more to show for the "period of success" that Aberdeen went through.

I'm not against McInnes being appointed but I'm not all that bothered for it happening either.  He wouldn't be my first choice.

There's certainly no evidence to suggest McCann would do any better?  Unless you can provide some of course.

When he does do better,you will be contacted,in the meantime try and find a replacement for RN.

Stendelnator
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Right now I’m more concerned about a manager who can get us to beat Hamilton and Ross County

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
2 hours ago, ford donald said:

When he does do better,you will be contacted,in the meantime try and find a replacement for RN.

Alex Neil is my choice. A proven manager at a good level.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

Right now I’m more concerned about a manager who can get us to beat Hamilton and Ross County

Easy to say but it's not reality. Failure to compete with Hibs is going to send us spinning into another meltdown, failure to attack, or go side to side, meltdown. 

That's now a reality of expectation level 

Fun thread.  Don’t know quite what to make of it.

Duncan Ferguson, cannae see it.

Neil McCann, another ex player doesn’t feel the way to go right now.

Derek McInnes, meh. Never mind his record against the Glasgows, his record against us wasn’t brilliant.

Alex Neil, cannae see it.

Spose we’ll just need to wait and see.  Or be spoon fed hints by the ITkerati.

Two thing’s I’ve learnt this week (apart from the OP being a slaver).

1) I asked someone I know who’s ITK outright and they said they’ve signed a confidentiality agreement and can’t, and won’t, talk about it.

2) Ian Black and Locke think Rob Neilson needs to go.

I’d be amazed if anyone has been talking about anything with anyone.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Alex Neil is my choice. A proven manager at a good level.

That is also my choice,NM is the second one.

On 05/04/2021 at 12:54, Hendolad said:

Spoke to someone very close to our manager last night.100% a new manager will be appointed for next season.Rob has acknowledged this but mutual respect will see him get us over the line this season.I believe the new manager has already identified changes that he wants made and promises have been given to allow this to happen.

I said the other day that I hope once he leaves and the new man is in charge that the awful names our manager has been called will stop and people will realise all he has ever wanted is the best for Hearts.Hes such a nice guy and very loyal.This hasn't ended how any of us wanted but it is what it is.Lets just get the league won and let him go with our thanks and respect.

Thanks for the info Hendolad if your right this has to be the best for all parties. 

colinmaroon
14 hours ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Dear Mrs Budge

Great letter and not receiving even an acknowledgement speaks volumes.  It is unprofessional, disrespectful and reveals "a couldn't care less" attitude towards the fans.

Possibly, hopefully, part of the reason may be that they are inundated with mail and they would have to be careful what they say, knowing it would go public but  "Thank you for your concern," or a smple public statement along the same lines would be a better demonstration of the acceptance that the fans mean something to the club management. 

On 05/04/2021 at 12:54, Hendolad said:

Spoke to someone very close to our manager last night.100% a new manager will be appointed for next season.Rob has acknowledged this but mutual respect will see him get us over the line this season.I believe the new manager has already identified changes that he wants made and promises have been given to allow this to happen.

I said the other day that I hope once he leaves and the new man is in charge that the awful names our manager has been called will stop and people will realise all he has ever wanted is the best for Hearts.Hes such a nice guy and very loyal.This hasn't ended how any of us wanted but it is what it is.Lets just get the league won and let him go with our thanks and respect.

Very loyal?  He wailked out on us before,then Dundee Utd

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Loyalty's vital, I'm always ready to go where loyalty's most highly rewarded.

These rumours must have got back to the players. What will their reaction be? A possible new manager, who has probably been having their recent dismal performances watched. Will it give them the kick up their arses they need to improve or will they be happy to accept their money and face playing out their contracts on loan to Brechin City etc.

Italian Lambretta
5 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

He arrived yet  ?   :greggy:

Yes the plane form Portugal this morning

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Aye lets hold that against him as well because why not. I mean its not as if he got offered more money elsewhere while our fans were actively asking for him to leave, protesting and flying planes over the stadium demanding his removal. How dare he leave under those circumstances. 

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Great letter and not receiving even an acknowledgement speaks volumes.  It is unprofessional, disrespectful and reveals "a couldn't care less" attitude towards the fans.

Possibly, hopefully, part of the reason may be that they are inundated with mail and they would have to be careful what they say, knowing it would go public but  "Thank you for your concern," or a smple public statement along the same lines would be a better demonstration of the acceptance that the fans mean something to the club management. 

The club gets thousands of e-mails and letters each week. There is no capacity at the club to answer them. 

The Old Tolbooth
30 minutes ago, bfst said:

These rumours must have got back to the players. What will their reaction be? A possible new manager, who has probably been having their recent dismal performances watched. Will it give them the kick up their arses they need to improve or will they be happy to accept their money and face playing out their contracts on loan to Brechin City etc.

Let's be honest here, 99% of players are complete and utter mercenaries and only care about the salaries they receive, and couldn't give tuppence worth for the clubs they play for, and who can blame them? 

The line from the song "Players only love you when they're playing", has never been more true than nowadays. 

1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

The club gets thousands of e-mails and letters each week. There is no capacity at the club to answer them. 

Aside from which, a letter who’s main thrust is asking you to sack someone is probably going right in the circular file anyway.

gorgieheart
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Yes the plane form Portugal this morning

2 weeks in the Travelodge at the airport ....

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

There is the capacity to briefly acknowledge via Club website in the present circumstances, for example, without going into any detailed response.  With remote working is there no-one who could respond to "customer's" complaints, barring the abusive; they deserve to be ignored.

I have written to SFA and had responses.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
17 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

In the two most important games we’ve had against them in the cup finals we certainly didn’t bottle it and there is a a good argument to say our performances in those games deserved more than they got. 

And for whatever reason Aberdeen have regularly raised their game against the Huns. Whoever the manager. Equally whilst we’ve had some bad performances against Rangers recently in the “Budge era”’we have probably a better than average win record against them. I don’t know for sure but some statto I am sure will back that or bomb me out.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

ScottieMac17

I honestly cant believe people want McCann, If he is appointed we will be continuing down the same road as we are now.

McInnes wont play attractive football but he is will get us competing in the top six. 

Unfortunately i think Alex Neil is too unrealistic, but would be great.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye lets hold that against him as well because why not. I mean its not as if he got offered more money elsewhere while our fans were actively asking for him to leave, protesting and flying planes over the stadium demanding his removal. How dare he leave under those circumstances. 

How dare he come back

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I honestly cant believe people want McCann, If he is appointed we will be continuing down the same road as we are now.

McInnes wont play attractive football but he is will get us competing in the top six. 

Unfortunately i think Alex Neil is too unrealistic, but would be great.

mccann wouldn’t be my first choice; but I don’t think he’s in any way comparable to neilson other than the fact they are Scottish and he played for hearts.

he clearly wants to play attacking football, and clearly isn’t afraid to piss of players who aren’t pulling their weight.  When we played ICT they went 4-3-3, they didn’t sit in at all and went for us.

I think he’d be a good appointment. I like the way he speaks, he’s a winner, he plays to win and is capable of being a horrible *******.

• davemclaren changed the title to New manager incoming ( merged )
  • davemclaren locked this topic