New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm told Robbie is 100% expecting to be in charge next season, and has been backed with Savage already looking to get pre contracts sorted. 

As the final decision is down to budge I don’t think it would shock anyone, others within the club however strongly disagree

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

adambraejambo
40 minutes ago, been here before said:

I've heard stuff too. Cant obviously tell anyone what it is or who told me because a- the person might get into trouble and b- I dont know if its kosher. But trust me though its 100% genuine.

Ill look forward to coming back for apologies when Im proven right.

I used to be ITK every morning about 1am after my parents went to bed. Then the phone bill came in and I had to stop using clubcall. Not heard stuff since then. I hope you know how lucky you are that you know stuff lol. 

J.T.F.Robertson
7 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It is actually a reflection of the situation that many people I've spoken with (online) are not confident we will win at Tynecastle on Friday night against the bottom club in the league, Alloa. And our final three games are then against Morton (away), ICT (home) and Raith (away), three teams who for different reasons will be looking to take points from us. It is a sad situation that there is a lack of confidence that winning the Championship is still not a guaranteed certainty.

If we do manage a win these days, the only way I see it happening is if the opposition is complete shite. That Brora fiasco burst the ba' for me.

I'm almost dreading Friday. :(

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm told Robbie is 100% expecting to be in charge next season, and has been backed with Savage already looking to get pre contracts sorted. 

You know we will have been looking at players for summer since before the january window

1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

As the final decision is down to budge I don’t think it would shock anyone, others within the club however strongly disagree

As do i but I've heard there is someone advising budge in the background, how long is Jim's contract?. 

10 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Happy to pass on anything I get 👍🏻 Just hope budge makes the correct decision 

Me too, ann has been very indecisive before though so who knows, do you think the decision will be made fairly soon ? Or can you see it dragging on for a little bit longer?

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

You know we will have been looking at players for summer since before the january window

Yes i understand that. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

No Idle Talk

I saw an interesting point made somewhere recently that really resonated with me. 

Assuming Robbie Neilson leaves at the end of the season, I think the board should sit down and do both some short term and long term thinking before appointing the next manager. The short term thinking is obviously just to get the best man(pipe doon Shelley Kerr fans) for the job and for the club to get back to where it should be. But the long term thinking part is every bit as important. What I mean by long term thinking is as follows.........

I think Hearts need to make a conscious decision about what kind of football team they want to have - long term. Does style matter? Does it not? Are they fine with having a defensive team as long as the club wins more games than it loses? Is it important to them to have an attacking team that entertains the fans?

Once they answer these questions they can begin to look for a manager that will fit that criteria. This will obviously be relevant in the short term but it needs to become equally as important in the long term. What I would like the board to do is use it as a template for future managerial appointments and I will explain why.

Imagine Hearts appoint Derek McInnes as the next manager. Whatever you think of his overall capabilities as a manager, he is a defensive manager. His teams are not good to watch and would never ever win a trophy if style points were being dished out. So he will be looking to bring a certain kind of player to the club to fit in with the mentality and style of play that he wants to develop. Which is as it should be. Now, let's fast forward to the day when McInnes leaves Hearts. If McInnes' successor is a manager who has a Daniel Stendel like outlook on how the game should be played, then that creates a massive problem for Hearts. The situation Hearts then find themselves in is they have a new manager who wants to play fast paced, attacking football, but they have a squad full of footballers who are more suited to being disciplined and hard to beat. This means one thing - a squad overhaul. That costs money and it often takes time. In the meantime we have a new manager who is stuck with players who he either can't use or can't get the best out of. This will probably lead to poor or inconsistent results on the field. And that is ultimately the thing we are trying to avoid. 

Football clubs have a tendency, if they have just sacked a manager, to go for the exact opposite kind of manager to the one they have just had. It is not joined up thinking. If your squad is full of attacking players then I think the club should bring in another attack minded manager. He may be able to get more out of those players than the previous manager could by motivating them differently etc. The point is, there should be a squad of players there that can naturally take on board the style of play the new manager tries to employ. It IS joined up thinking.

I hope this is something the Hearts board will give a lot of thought to before making their next managerial move. We simply cannot continue having squad overhaul after squad overhaul. It costs a fortune and it creates a lot of instability at the club. We've had way too much of that in recent years and it needs to stop. The club needs a long term vision of where it is, where it wants to go, and how it intends to get from point A to point B. 

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

As do i but I've heard there is someone advising budge in the background, how long is Jim's contract?. 

Jim thinks Robbie should go.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The state of Hearts and we're already to dismiss McInnes ?

If he wants re-employed he'll  do what he's told (DOF) and if he thinks clubs have £750K for salaries post-Covid he's living in la-la land.

Don't really get the seethe over his non-appointment : it's not as if Hearts will be playing silky soccer in the foreseeable future , not with the current squad or the lack of cash to get decent replacements. McInnes doesn't get my pulse racing but we need an experienced manager and we need one PDQ. Silky soccer can wait. 

Please read back, not going over it again 

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Yeah but how long is his contract?. 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Why is that relevant? Not a clue to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

So, as far as you know, it’s by no means certain that RN is going?

4 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I saw an interesting point made somewhere recently that really resonated with me. 

Assuming Robbie Neilson leaves at the end of the season, I think the board should sit down and do both some short term and long term thinking before appointing the next manager. The short term thinking is obviously just to get the best man(pipe doon Shelley Kerr fans) for the job and for the club to get back to where it should be. But the long term thinking part is every bit as important. What I mean by long term thinking is as follows.........

I think Hearts need to make a conscious decision about what kind of football team they want to have - long term. Does style matter? Does it not? Are they fine with having a defensive team as long as the club wins more games than it loses? Is it important to them to have an attacking team that entertains the fans?

Once they answer these questions they can begin to look for a manager that will fit that criteria. This will obviously be relevant in the short term but it needs to become equally as important in the long term. What I would like the board to do is use it as a template for future managerial appointments and I will explain why.

Imagine Hearts appoint Derek McInnes as the next manager. Whatever you think of his overall capabilities as a manager, he is a defensive manager. His teams are not good to watch and would never ever win a trophy if style points were being dished out. So he will be looking to bring a certain kind of player to the club to fit in with the mentality and style of play that he wants to develop. Which is as it should be. Now, let's fast forward to the day when McInnes leaves Hearts. If McInnes' successor is a manager who has a Daniel Stendel like outlook on how the game should be played, then that creates a massive problem for Hearts. The situation Hearts then find themselves in is they have a new manager who wants to play fast paced, attacking football, but they have a squad full of footballers who are more suited to being disciplined and hard to beat. This means one thing - a squad overhaul. That costs money and it often takes time. In the meantime we have a new manager who is stuck with players who he either can't use or can't get the best out of. This will probably lead to poor or inconsistent results on the field. And that is ultimately the thing we are trying to avoid. 

Football clubs have a tendency, if they have just sacked a manager, to go for the exact opposite kind of manager to the one they have just had. It is not joined up thinking. If your squad is full of attacking players then I think the club should bring in another attack minded manager. He may be able to get more out of those players than the previous manager could by motivating them differently etc. The point is, there should be a squad of players there that can naturally take on board the style of play the new manager tries to employ. It IS joined up thinking.

I hope this is something the Hearts board will give a lot of thought to before making their next managerial move. We simply cannot continue having squad overhaul after squad overhaul. It costs a fortune and it creates a lot of instability at the club. We've had way too much of that in recent years and it needs to stop. The club needs a long term vision of where it is, where it wants to go, and how it intends to get from point A to point B. 

Completely agree, good post.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Please read back, not going over it again 

I've read it, don't worry about that.

You've got a problem with McInnes : I think we get it.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
49 minutes ago, been here before said:

Oddly enough I think the manner in which Naismith came off was the death knell. Going off for treament, coming back in then breaking down on the pitch a few minutes later. The Sellick punters cheered it like a goal.

Im obviously not blaming him but I honestly think if he'd gone off and stayed the 'psychological' damage to the team would have been less.

Yip, I agree, real downer. Took them to after halftime to realise how down we were. 

Still a horrendous bit of goalkeeping and a shit pen. Such a Hearts day 

3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Excellent post and makes a lot of sense.   I do worry that AB would argue that they did/do have long terms plans and thinking - but as we know, it's all fallen apart due to a lack of competency.    So in addition to what you are saying - I'm sure it's stating the obvious but the capability of the role holders (CEO/DOF etc) is absolutely critical,  and of course stability will depend the time that people fill these key positions for, otherwise,  DOF's come in with different philosophical views too. 

Another big factor is going to be what role does the club want to have for youth development and actually blooding younger players vs bringing in old legged journey man - I think we would have done better this season by holding on to more youths who tend to play with more freedom,  less fear and more passion.

9 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Yes yes yes yes you fecking get it 😁😁😁😁

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've read it, don't worry about that.

You've got a problem with McInnes : I think we get it.  

Oh the irony. That not allowed,  what if I change to posting about Neilson endlessly for months like yourself  :lol:

That suit you better? 

is Neilson eye bleeding? Then why on earth would you replace with Mcinnes if that's one of your gripes 

3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I bet Ann still favours Craig's opinion over Jim.

I do not doubt for a single second they are still in touch. Nothing anyone could say would make me think any different. 

Oh the irony. That not allowed,  what if I change to posting about Neilson endlessly for months like yourself  :lol:

That suit you better? 

is Neilson eye bleeding? Then why on earth would you replace with Mcinnes if that's one of your gripes 

This i don't agree with you on much but Mcinnes or Neil in my opinion don't offer anymore than what Robbie does, what i will agree with they wouldn't get beat of shite like brora or alloa. 

But as far as style of play etc nah. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

My biggest problem with Budge. 

The length of time to appoint Stendel with a squad unsuitable for his style. 

And playing twice a week with no opportunity to train.

I think you are absolutely correct and the club do need to commit to a style, I think we all know now results are not enough. 

Its not enough to get by, there's got to be a passion and intensity too.

12 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Why is that relevant? Not a clue to be honest.

Maybe a wee job coming up for the guy that's advising Ann watch this space 😉

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I do not doubt for a single second they are still in touch. Nothing anyone could say would make me think any different. 

I'm with you on that!

My biggest problem with Budge. 

The length of time to appoint Stendel with a squad unsuitable for his style. 

And playing twice a week with no opportunity to train.

I think you are absolutely correct and the club do need to commit to a style, I think we all know now results are not enough. 

Its not enough to get by, there's got to be a passion and intensity too.

You could hardly pick a worse set of circumstances for someone like Stendel. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This i don't agree with you on much but Mcinnes or Neil in my opinion don't offer anymore than what Robbie does, what i will agree with they wouldn't get beat of shite like brora or alloa. 

We don't disagree much Bongo. I often play devil's advocate for balance but I reckon I'm just as pissed as anyone else. 

Its been awful for years, higher pain threshold than some I think  :)

I was happy with Neilson the first time but was hardly delighted to see him again. I believe in moving forward not back 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

You could hardly pick a worse set of circumstances for someone like Stendel. 

Unfair to judge him either way, but don't think he helped himself until it was too late, but he was getting there. Way too expensive for Championship and Covid19 alas

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Unfair to judge him either way, but don't think he helped himself until it was too late, but he was getting there. Way too expensive for Championship and Covid19 alas

He made some shocking mistakes. It’s always going to be a case of what might have been, for me at least. 

The core of our squad needs to come from our academy. Every successful team we have had in recent years has had home grown players in it. From Gary Naysmith to Craig Gordon. From Ryan McGowan to Paul Ritchie. In 98 JJ lost Neil Pointon and able to put Naysmith in, Pointon playing a massive part in his development. 

I get the Covid angle but even before that our academy had not been producing as it should or is it we are not giving enough young lads the chance to step in. If there is to be a managerial change I know its been said but John Murray and Roger Arnott for me need to fall on the sword too.

For my money Robbie isn't the solution and I'm not sure he is willing to put young lads in as he once was. As previous posters have said we need to decide on a footballing strategy moving forward and stick to it. Levein had that then chucked it when he became first team coach again.

This isn't a short term fix. But I don't believe Robbie is the long term solution either.  I don't offer another candidate...Alex Neill maybe but as I said for me if Robbie goes bigger changes top down need to follow. For Mr its a house of cards and more need to fall for things to improve longer term.

21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So, as far as you know, it’s by no means certain that RN is going?

As of Sunday evening no decision had been  made, I do believe majority want him gone but the one that matters doesn’t seem to. Any decision likely to be once the title is done due to the staff being due promotion bonuses etc 

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’m equally unsure if McInnes or Neil would be the answer. There’s a risk of falling into a “anyone but Neilson” trap. The next appointment has to work well.

SuperstarSteve
31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Could be wrong but was it not 6 months contract he was given with a permanent appointment to be named in the future. It’s been more than 6 months so I’d guess he was appointed permanently or he could not longer be working for the club now his 6 months have been and gone. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

Kidd’s Boots
25 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

This kind of strategic thinking should already be in place given that the transfer of shares is due to take place in the Summer.

This Board will know that the first fan majority shareholding AGM after the transfer will be a tetchy one given how this season has panned out, and frankly I'm less interested in the RN input to that than I am to Savage's input. The scenario you describe should fall under his stewardship, and this week seems to start of that process.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He made some shocking mistakes. It’s always going to be a case of what might have been, for me at least. 

This. I back every hearts manager and I'm an optimistic type of guy so I was sure we'd click at some point. But when you look back at it none of his signings were a success (unless we're counting Boyce) and the mistakes stack up, picking the worst keeper we've ever had again and again, battering on with transforming a playing philosophy when the club were at the bottom of the league.

My overall picture of the guy is that he's pretty decent in a lot of areas but his judgement is very, very questionable.

3 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

I’m equally unsure if McInnes or Neil would be the answer. There’s a risk of falling into a “anyone but Neilson” trap. The next appointment has to work well.

Correct 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Mcdiarmid Park, that game was nuts. Total control to total disarray then pressure on again. 

Hamilton at home will stick in my mind for a long time to come, yet that final week bar the St Mirren game, being better than Rangers Hibs and Motherwell, hope was there.

I would welcome a similar appointment but in a close season and at a time when there were contracts closing. Poster had it bang on earlier we do not get the squad matched to the coach.

That's hardly new, Levein bemoaned what was left by JJ when he took over first time 

What too many are overlooking is the budget available......not only for the manager and his staff but for the squad too.

The ideal manager would be 1995’s Jim Jefferies.......everything he had to do then is exactly what we need to do again.

A_A wehatethehibs

There are negatives to any managerial appointment. And as sure as night follows day, there’ll be Hearts fans who will focus on those negatives. But the rest of us will be pragmatic and weigh up the pros and cons.

For me the critical thing is someone with a track record of identifying and signing players who have been able to compete and cut the mustard in the SPL. Someone who knows the league and up to date knowledge of the sphere of players who are in the Hearts price bracket. Because that’s the task in hand isn’t it. It’s signings not coaching. Nobody’s coaching Halkett to national caps. We need a new Center half. That’s the reality. Then we will need coaching as well but signings absolutely are the priority in the immediate term.  There’s going to be about 5 real key big money signings and 5 good squaddies coming in. Conservatively. 

What we definitely don’t need is another Cathro type wonder coach to come in and sign a bunch of Tziolis and Struna and Avlonitis type players that on paper sound great with this absolute wonder philosophy but then it turns out the homework was not done on the players or the league. 

We need bulletproof dependable grafters who will put Hearts in the hunt for 3rd in short order. 

As long as we are in there competing with Hibs and Aberdeen the fans will be delighted whatever the football looks like. Just get this football club in the fight. It’s all about results and league position in the immediate term. 

Please, 🙏, Allah, Buddha, Shiva, Jesus, other sky fairies... 

Don't employ a Scottish manager. Just don't do it. They are feckin kack. 

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

What too many are overlooking is the budget available......not only for the manager and his staff but for the squad too.

The ideal manager would be 1995’s Jim Jefferies.......everything he had to do then is exactly what we need to do again.

JJ had a ton of cash to spend.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There are negatives to any managerial appointment. And as sure as night follows day, there’ll be Hearts fans who will focus on those negatives. But the rest of us will be pragmatic and weigh up the pros and cons.

For me the critical thing is someone with a track record of identifying and signing players who have been able to compete and cut the mustard in the SPL. Someone who knows the league and up to date knowledge of the sphere of players who are in the Hearts price bracket. Because that’s the task in hand isn’t it. It’s signings not coaching. Nobody’s coaching Halkett to national caps. We need a new Center half. That’s the reality. Then we will need coaching as well but signings absolutely are the priority in the immediate term.  There’s going to be about 5 real key big money signings and 5 good squaddies coming in. Conservatively. 

What we definitely don’t need is another Cathro type wonder coach to come in and sign a bunch of Tziolis and Struna and Avlonitis type players that on paper sound great with this absolute wonder philosophy but then it turns out the homework was not done on the players or the league. 

We need bulletproof dependable grafters who will put Hearts in the hunt for 3rd in short order. 

As long as we are in there competing with Hibs and Aberdeen the fans will be delighted whatever the football looks like. Just get this football club in the fight. It’s all about results and league position in the immediate term. 

Last paragraph I wish that was the case. I just don't believe it is. 

I think if you play good football you will win games anyhow. If you choose to play a neutral brand then you become predictable and for a club of our standing that has brought pressure we have crumbled under. 

Its tough this gig, very tough 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

1 goal in 9 games, didn't change the style at all. 

Unfortunately you are talking to someone who has seen just about as much of Aberdeen as I have Hearts owing to my family. 

How much of Aberdeen have you watched honestly?

And his football is absolutely Levein.

Are you just ignoring the wages and structure parts then? You would bin Savage to get Mcinnes?

If you are dense enough to look at football as a defensive/attacking binary then I can’t help you there. 

I’ve watched enough Aberdeen games and highlights over his tenure to know what I’m talking about. It’s not a game of who’s watched more Aberdeen. 

Ideally McInnes would work under Savage. If he’s not willing to do that then its a much more difficult decision, and probably a non-starter.

30 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Mcdiarmid Park, that game was nuts. Total control to total disarray then pressure on again. 

Hamilton at home will stick in my mind for a long time to come, yet that final week bar the St Mirren game, being better than Rangers Hibs and Motherwell, hope was there.

I would welcome a similar appointment but in a close season and at a time when there were contracts closing. Poster had it bang on earlier we do not get the squad matched to the coach.

That's hardly new, Levein bemoaned what was left by JJ when he took over first time 

All very fair. 👍

4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Who are we to say whether its true or false? Nobody knows for sure. 

Honestly couldn't care less if he's right or wrong - he's obviously heard something and is bringing it to the forum for discussion. Is that not what this thing is set up for??

Its out of order. Schoolboy stuff, and will do nothing other than discourage people to share rumours they've heard themselves.

I've heard the same rumour as it goes. RN out at the end of the season, and I was given the name of the man who is apparently taking over. I'm not disclosing any other detail though because 1) The person who told me could get in trouble and 2) I don't know how true it is. But I did hear it. 

So that’s Shelley Kerr off the list of potentials? 

9 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

If you are dense enough to look at football as a defensive/attacking binary then I can’t help you there. 

I’ve watched enough Aberdeen games and highlights over his tenure to know what I’m talking about. It’s not a game of who’s watched more Aberdeen. 

Ideally McInnes would work under Savage. If he’s not willing to do that then its a much more difficult decision, and probably a non-starter.

McInnes has got progressively more defensive at Aberdeen. As have 2 out of our last three managers over the years. Why would he be asked to work under Savage. 

Edited by GinRummy

46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This. I back every hearts manager and I'm an optimistic type of guy so I was sure we'd click at some point. But when you look back at it none of his signings were a success (unless we're counting Boyce) and the mistakes stack up, picking the worst keeper we've ever had again and again, battering on with transforming a playing philosophy when the club were at the bottom of the league.

My overall picture of the guy is that he's pretty decent in a lot of areas but his judgement is very, very questionable.

I think the club carries some of the can as well. The whole episode, let’s face it, was an utter shambles. No assistants, obvious resistance from senior players, letting him choose the players he wanted in the window for the first time in his career. All that aside, he was a terrible fit for that moment in time.  Hindsight though eh. 

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That's all very well with Fergie's class of 92 but which youngsters would you say are ready?

Having asked that, I could counter my own argument by saying they could hardly do worse than the shite we have seen but that might only make them less bad.  Hardly a sound basis on which to proceed!

I was commenting on a statement that a team of experienced players would do and youth didn’t matter, in my experience Hearts teams are always better when we have a mix of good young players with experienced pros.

so in my opinion we should be looking at that mix going forward... maybe if we had gave youth a proper chance over the last few years we’d not be were we are now...

Even this season with our limited quality youth players, their enthusiasm and energy would only have improved this dismal lot.

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

If JJ is advising Budge that Neilson should go and she is ignoring his advice why hasn’t he walked?  Cant be bigger issues to advise on than who is the manager. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

That's actually a rather dense and disrespectful response.

Its not a game of whose watched more but it stands to reason if you watch them most weeks as I have been subjected to, you will understand more. Hardly an effort to denegrate another opinion. 

I also work play golf live with their fans. I don't know anyone happy, just like our own manager variety of levels but its unanimous their football is shite and he has been past the peak for some time. 

What games have you watched Aberdeen in this season? Highlights packages are hardly giving you a fair opportunity to judge in truth. 

Bit fed up now, I'll close by suggesting if we don't like Neilson we are appointing more of the same.  If you want him fine rather take someone on an upward curve myself. Best in sport to you

• davemclaren changed the title to New manager incoming ( merged )
  • davemclaren locked this topic