Morrisons- minimum alcohol pricing

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cairneyhill Jambo

So, because of lockdown over the past year, I decided to buy an annual shopping pass with Morrisons which costs £38 a year for getting unlimited shopping delivered Tuesday-Thursday as long as I spend £40 each delivery.

My favourite vodka is J J Whitley which I can currently buy for £15.99 a litre. Why doesn't minimum pricing apply? Anyone know?

Screenshot_20210405-002341_Chrome.jpg

Doctor FinnBarr

Because of the SG with the minimum pricing thingy, 1 litre vodka will cost at least £18.75. The only way you'll get it cheaper is by crossing the border.

And due to the wifes family staying in Ashington, Northumberland any time we could visit we stocked up on cheapo vod at Morrisons Morpeth on the way back to the Peoples Republic

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Cairneyhill Jambo
35 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yep only applies to scotland and maybe wales

I stay in Fife and my delivery normally comes from Falkirk so can't understand why I get it at that price  

Best keep quiet about it, they've obviously made a mistake.  It's the proper price, £19, at Tesco.

Shanks said no

Smirnoff 1l was available for £16 a week ago from Amazon, delivered to Edinburgh, 1 bottle per order

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I stay in Fife and my delivery normally comes from Falkirk so can't understand why I get it at that price  

As it's an online shop, their webpage will not have pricing which will adjust depending on the recipient's postcode. 

Someone from south of the border will make the same order from the same webpage but not have the cost dictated by the SG. 

Just keep taking advantage of it. 👍 

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

As it's an online shop, their webpage will not have pricing which will adjust depending on the recipient's postcode. 

Someone from south of the border will make the same order from the same webpage but not have the cost dictated by the SG. 

Just keep taking advantage of it. 👍 

Correct, I got a good deal on Bud a while back on Amazon, 20 bottles for £10. Ok it's pretty shite lager but still it was cheap.

Just looked - still doing it and just ordered it. 😁

Edited by Awbdy Oot

14 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Smirnoff 1l was available for £16 a week ago from Amazon, delivered to Edinburgh, 1 bottle per order

Still available. 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Correct, I got a good deal on Bud a while back on Amazon, 20 bottles for £10. Ok it's pretty shite lager but still it was cheap.

I used to get it for £2 a case a few years back when I worked in Wincanton Bathgate. If they'd managed to stack the pallet under one of our many water leaks and the boxes were too water damaged we'd get them cheap. That all ended when the SNP brought in the daft drink dedicated aisles and no drink on special offers. They sent me one night to toss 2 pallets loads of Bud into a skip under the supervision of a security guard. Each bottle had to be thrown individually to make sure it broke, boredom soon set in and I was throwing them over my shoulders, through my legs etc etc.

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I used to get it for £2 a case a few years back when I worked in Wincanton Bathgate. If they'd managed to stack the pallet under one of our many water leaks and the boxes were too water damaged we'd get them cheap. That all ended when the SNP brought in the daft drink dedicated aisles and no drink on special offers. They sent me one night to toss 2 pallets loads of Bud into a skip under the supervision of a security guard. Each bottle had to be thrown individually to make sure it broke, boredom soon set in and I was throwing them over my shoulders, through my legs etc etc.

Fifty-fifty split with the security guard, surely. ;)

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Fifty-fifty split with the security guard, surely. ;)

Bud is like Tennants to me, I'd rather have a soda water and lime than drink any of them. I only paid the £2 if someone around was having a party. And if it was 50/50 I've got no idea how I'd fit a full pallet into the Corsa I had at the time.

Nucky Thompson

Done a wee booze run in Berwick today when I was down doing essential maintenance to my holiday home.

It was the last day for 25% off 6 bottles of wine or more. £75 off my £300 spend. Lovely jubbly 

39 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Bud is like Tennants to me, I'd rather have a soda water and lime than drink any of them. I only paid the £2 if someone around was having a party. And if it was 50/50 I've got no idea how I'd fit a full pallet into the Corsa I had at the time.

It would only be a half-pallet because you would probably have had to break a pallet of the stuff so that the superiors inevitably looking in the skip thought you had done the job. ;) But understood about Bud. :D

I once had a mate who worked at Guinness where, due to a mix-up, they had put a batch of Guinness into lager cans (I can't remember what lager they used to make - was it Harp?) so he got to bring a whole load of it home on the understanding that it was purely for home consumption. I became an avid Guinness drinker for a short period in my life.

Edited by redjambo

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It would only be a half-pallet because you would probably have had to break a pallet of the stuff so that the superiors inevitably looking in the skip thought you had done the job. ;) But understood about Bud. :D

I once had a mate who worked at Guinness where, due to a mix-up, they had put a batch of Guinness into lager cans (I can't remember what lager they used to make - was it Harp?) so he got to bring a whole load of it home on the understanding that it was purely for home consumption. I became an avid Guinness drinker for a short period in my life.

Guinness make a lager called Hop House 13. It's pretty decent

luckyBatistuta
18 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

So, because of lockdown over the past year, I decided to buy an annual shopping pass with Morrisons which costs £38 a year for getting unlimited shopping delivered Tuesday-Thursday as long as I spend £40 each delivery.

My favourite vodka is J J Whitley which I can currently buy for £15.99 a litre. Why doesn't minimum pricing apply? Anyone know?

Their Watermelon and Lime is superb, way to easy to drink. 

2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Shite lager is an understatement graygo...why did you change it🤨

20 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

These guys had that stuff on offer last week, picked up five bottles for £55 including mixers! Well under the minimum price.

This seems to be the best deal they've got on at the moment - https://thedropstore.com/apps/bundles/bundle/38597

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Guinness make a lager called Hop House 13. It's pretty decent

I thought it was awful, so awful in fact I thought it was T

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Their Watermelon and Lime is superb, way to easy to drink. 

Shite lager is an understatement graygo...why did you change it🤨

It is shite but at 50p a bottle it'll do as wee thirst quencher when sitting in the garden when the sun's out, ever the optimist.

I changed it because I was fed up arguing with every bugger on here and thought it might help, I was wrong. 😆

Doctor FinnBarr
41 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

It is shite but at 50p a bottle it'll do as wee thirst quencher when sitting in the garden when the sun's out, ever the optimist.

I changed it because I was fed up arguing with every bugger on here and thought it might help, I was wrong. 😆

Jist go for it mate (sorry MODS that really wasn't encouragement)

7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Jist go for it mate (sorry MODS that really wasn't encouragement)

Things are bad enough with this Covid shite mate without falling out with everyone on here, most of it my fault to be fair. Even I can see that I come across as a proper arse at times, I'm sure I'm not that bad in real life but online it's harder to back off or lighten up without the flow of a normal conversation.

Anyway, like I say the name change hasn't made any difference so it must be me. 😆

ps. Sorry to read about your old man, that's proper shit news.

Doctor FinnBarr
23 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Things are bad enough with this Covid shite mate without falling out with everyone on here, most of it my fault to be fair. Even I can see that I come across as a proper arse at times, I'm sure I'm not that bad in real life but online it's harder to back off or lighten up without the flow of a normal conversation.

Anyway, like I say the name change hasn't made any difference so it must be me. 😆

ps. Sorry to read about your old man, that's proper shit news.

Thanks mate, he had hit 95 mind so had a good innings.

More worried about wee brother at the moment, he had a quadruple heart bypass a week or so ago, done on the Monday then he got out on the Friday, his brother in law died a day later.......then my dad went on the Monday. Life can be shit

Doctor FinnBarr

Sorry folks, does anyone mind if I have a wee greet now? Suddenly found tears and I'm bubbling now

Cairneyhill Jambo
31 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Sorry folks, does anyone mind if I have a wee greet now? Suddenly found tears and I'm bubbling now

Bubble away mate. Hope you and your wee brother are okay. It's hard times just now without having to deal with shit like that. We're all here for you if you need to chat. Take care. 

Shanks said no
46 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Look after yourself, better out than in, a lot of us have been through it as well and are here to help. Feel free to pm if you want.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

More worried about wee brother at the moment, he had a quadruple heart bypass a week or so ago, done on the Monday then he got out on the Friday, his brother in law died a day later.......then my dad went on the Monday. Life can be shit

Really sorry to hear that bud. As you said, 95 is a good innings. He must  have seen so many changes in the world we live in. Hope you and your wee brother can help each other overcome your grief with his passing.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Never fell out with you pal, one of the good guys on here. Just makes it more difficult to catch your posts🤨

3 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Aye that puts my problems into perspective a bit, just got to believe things are going to get better soon and pick up cheap alcohol when the opportunity arises.