Managers who have been sacked because of their fans' opposition

King Of The Cat Cafe

King Of The Cat Cafe

As it says on the tin, I wonder which clubs have found their manager's position untenable largely through the feelings of their own fans. Rafael Benitez at Liverpool is one that springs to mind and Neil Warnock another.

Any more for the list?

None when they're  top of the League, because that would look particularly stupid and make the club a laughing stock.

Edited by Bull's-eye

5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

None when they're  top of the League, because that would look particularly stupid and make the club a laughing stock

Edited by Morgan

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

None when they're  top of the League, because that would look particularly stupid and make the club a laughing stock.

You probably weren't born when Ormond was deservedly sacked.

been here before
9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Burley, Willie Ormond, Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon quite a few.

Ronny Delia.....he knew he was losing his job despite winning the league so he said announced he was leaving. 

I’m sure he cited the reasons as he felt “he wasn’t improving the team” or words to that affect.

If only RN had the guts to admit the same thing.

19 minutes ago, franco2209 said:

Neilson, hopefully to join this list very shortly,even Stevie Wonder can see through this charlatan.

But...but....wur top of the league and we wud be a laughing stock! 🙄

shaun.lawson

Benitez wasn't sacked because of Liverpool fans! They never turned against him. He was sacked because they finished 7th. He had major problems from Chelsea and Real Madrid fans - but not Liverpool.

Here's a random one for you: Steve McMahon, Swindon Town. Took over mid-season, got relegated, came straight back up as Champions, then stabilised in the lower reaches of the second tier. But he ripped the heart out of the club completely with a series of appalling decisions involving fan favourites and Swindon legends - and spent far too much money on shite too.

But the Chairman, himself a very colourful character, worshipped the ground Macca walked on. So he wouldn't do anything. That refusal to act poisoned the atmosphere - and in the end, McMahon's kids were bullied at school because of him still being there. Appalling. At which point, he walked.

As for the Chairman: he resigned with the club on the brink of administration, and went off to climb Mount Everest, before taking the people of Swindon for a ride and as ever, getting away scot free. 

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10387650.wi-fi-boss-was-paid-12k-a-month-but-who-agreed-to-it/

Swindon Town have never recovered from his and McMahon's time.

46 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

We look particularly stupid and are a laughing stock anyway...2 wins in 9 and losing games to part-time teams has seen to that.

Edited by DH1986

Central Belt 1874
47 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/gallery/9-managers-who-were-sacked-season-after-winning-trophies

And

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/football/5-managers-sacked-winning-trophies

6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We look particularly stupid and are a laughing stock anyway...2 wins in 9 and losing games to part-time teams has seen to that.

Exactly! 

ShortmanRossco

Long before my time but I think Clough at my other love Leeds is probably about as good as an example as you can get. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Dr Lager said:

Cathro 

Nah, he was sacked because he was shite. 

The league form from the previous season continued into the lc. 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

I think Birkikira, Alloa and Brora have made the club a laughing stock

1 hour ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Long before my time but I think Clough at my other love Leeds is probably about as good as an example as you can get. 

Players got him sacked 

8 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Correct!

10 hours ago, obua said:

Bobby Seith.

Seith Must Go !! Seith Must Go !! was the cry round the stadium with ever dwindling crowds. He must've felt pretty crap. Ormond  - Don't think he was ever accepted because of his Hibs connection.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I can't think of many times where the fans have turned on a manager to the point of protests etc. and then the manager has gone on to be a success at the club. Obviously the famous example is Alex Ferguson at Man U but if anyone can think of anymore, I'd be interested to hear.

9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Spot on. Stumbling to the finish line in the second division of Scottish football with the 4th biggest budget in the country isn't making us a laughing stock, all good nothing to see here.

AlphonseCapone
11 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Definitely trolling. 

Willie Ormond is quite unique as he was sacked by Hearts when top of the league one season, then appointed by Hibs and sacked by them the next season. Both times when top of the league. Willie had a drink problem and stopped turning up at training so Alec Rennie had to run things (why we were top). Bobby Moncur came in and won the league at the end of the season. It was a brutal season - much worse than this one! One game against Dumbarton at Tynecastle was chosen by Scotsport for TV highlights. Over 20 mins shown of a game with three shots at goal - including Des O'Sullivan's 89th minute winner for us (good goal though). Arthur Montford kindly said both teams were affected by nerves 😄.

Hibs must not have done "due diligence" and appointed Ormond on his earlier reputation. Nothing was made official except "health reasons". Much less media coverage in those days.

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

As it says on the tin, I wonder which clubs have found their manager's position untenable largely through the feelings of their own fans. Rafael Benitez at Liverpool is one that springs to mind and Neil Warnock another.

Any more for the list?

I don't remember the Liverpool fans pushing for Benitez to be sacked. 

1 hour ago, leipzig76 said:

Seith Must Go !! Seith Must Go !! was the cry round the stadium with ever dwindling crowds. He must've felt pretty crap. Ormond  - Don't think he was ever accepted because of his Hibs connection.

Very appropriate that Seith in an anagram of shite.

20 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Very appropriate that Seith in an anagram of shite.

Nearly 50 years later and I've just realised that !

This almost always happens, it's more unlikely to be the other way around, when a manager does well and moves on against the fans wishes.

brightonsjambo
11 hours ago, obua said:

Bobby Seith.

His idea of football was similar to Neilson's, i.e. defender would pass the ball back to another, who would shift it left to a third player, who would then pass it to the first defender who would be standing in his original position. End product? Nothing. But the opposition would be in place for any further moves. Supporter power worked then as they were responsible for his dismissal.

11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Benitez wasn't sacked because of Liverpool fans! They never turned against him. He was sacked because they finished 7th. He had major problems from Chelsea and Real Madrid fans - but not Liverpool.

Here's a random one for you: Steve McMahon, Swindon Town. Took over mid-season, got relegated, came straight back up as Champions, then stabilised in the lower reaches of the second tier. But he ripped the heart out of the club completely with a series of appalling decisions involving fan favourites and Swindon legends - and spent far too much money on shite too.

But the Chairman, himself a very colourful character, worshipped the ground Macca walked on. So he wouldn't do anything. That refusal to act poisoned the atmosphere - and in the end, McMahon's kids were bullied at school because of him still being there. Appalling. At which point, he walked.

As for the Chairman: he resigned with the club on the brink of administration, and went off to climb Mount Everest, before taking the people of Swindon for a ride and as ever, getting away scot free. 

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10387650.wi-fi-boss-was-paid-12k-a-month-but-who-agreed-to-it/

Swindon Town have never recovered from his and McMahon's time.

There was more wrong at Swindon Town than Steve McMahon, that's for sure

kingantti1874

If neilson gets sacked it because of horrendous performances and embarrassing loses and dropped points.

He is only being retained because of the opinion of one individual 

11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

That game still haunts me.

If we had Sow and Zeefuik rather than Sammon and Watt we would've been through to get pumped by Krasnodar :(

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

You probably weren't born when Ormond was deservedly sacked.

Now there was a man I hated. Even got barred from his pub in Musselburgh for calling him a hibby ladies front bottom

11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

mourinho at man u (appropriate as i think RN believes he is the scottish jose)

Well Mourinho is shite so you may have a point 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

That game still haunts me.

If we had Sow and Zeefuik rather than Sammon and Watt we would've been through to get pumped by Krasnodar :(

If we'd scored the penalty or one of our 2 efforts that hit the bar went in, we'd have went through. 

No one in world football was shocked by a Scottish team getting papped out by a team from Malta. 

Scottish teams have been getting papped out of Europe by mince since the 90's.

Will happen again. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Brora has. 

The other 2 really haven't. 

The Malta result isn't even the worse Scottish result in  Europe in the last 5 years. 

Alloa are Litterally in the same league as us, team from  league knocks out other team from the same  league..... 

Poor results but not in the same scale as Brora, Brora really is a shocker. 

Beats the Peterhead result from cathros time on the jobbie scale. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

In Spain when they want the manager launched they wave the white hankies. Seems to do the trick. 

Valencia right? Sure I saw a Gary Neville interview and he said something to the effect of Peter Lim told him if he see's white hankies in the crowd he's ****ed. 

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Correct!

i was at that birkinkara game was bloody awful they scored good second goal though and werent as bad as i thought they were,or maybe we were just worse.Had forgot robbie was manager then.

36 minutes ago, OTT said:

Valencia right? Sure I saw a Gary Neville interview and he said something to the effect of Peter Lim told him if he see's white hankies in the crowd he's ****ed. 

They all do it. Barca did it for Van Gaal. Real Madrid did it for one of theirs. 

4 hours ago, leipzig76 said:

He survived the 0-7 on 1/1/73 though. 

Can you imagine that happening nowadays ? 🤔 

The Shed Floodlight
1 hour ago, daavojaay said:

i was at that birkinkara game was bloody awful they scored good second goal though and werent as bad as i thought they were,or maybe we were just worse.Had forgot robbie was manager then.

We were lucky to get past the Estonian mob in the round before.

33 minutes ago, luckydug said:

He survived the 0-7 on 1/1/73 though. 

Can you imagine that happening nowadays ? 🤔 

Getting beaten by Brora comes to mind lucky !