Meadows fightclub

Shanks said no

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Geoff?  Tennis Geoff?

He had a great night on here after the Celtic cup final.  😀😀

Aye, Tennis coach 'tripod' Geoff, the three legged apple of many an eastern European tennis starlet's eye.

I think we can mark the Celtic cup final night down as his kickback swansong. He's not a big fan of them, and being an emotionally vocal chap can occasionally be his undoing. :(

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• Cade

• frankblack

• JudyJudyJudy

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, Tennis coach 'tripod' Geoff, the three legged apple of many an eastern European tennis starlet's eye.

I think we can mark the Celtic cup final night down as his kickback swansong. He's not a big fan of them, and being an emotionally vocal chap can occasionally be his undoing. :(

I think he said what many folk thought, Gov.  🙌

Doctor FinnBarr
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Give us a clue then Morgan, don't think I was on Kickback that night. Certainly had a house full and was more worried about who wiped their arse on the wifes towel instead of the friggin bog roll.

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That's Geoff for you. Fighting the good fight and taking one for the team.

maroondevo52
On 05/04/2021 at 20:40, Sharpie said:

I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

Don’t think there was any trouble last night.

A lot more officers and 6 Mounted Police.

been here before
50 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Don’t think there was any trouble last night.

A lot more officers and 6 Mounted Police.

Freezing cold and some snow probably played its part too.

Fxxx the SPFL
52 minutes ago, been here before said:

was just up the meadows an hour ago plenty groups but looked like families mostly in fours no alcohol as far as i could see. Police present and there are large signs on lampposts stating 'it is illegal to drink alcohol in the meadows you could be fined'

maroondevo52
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Yeh more than likely, seemingly very quiet.

I was just up the Blackford Hill with the dogs, nice, sunny and warm at the bottom, Baltic blowing a gale and snowing at the top.

Samuel Camazzola
On 05/04/2021 at 05:43, Gerd Muller said:

Boy in grey is already wearing his prison uniform 😀

I'm sure that outfit is called a 'Sparky Griffiths'. 

the general
5 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

was just up the meadows an hour ago plenty groups but looked like families mostly in fours no alcohol as far as i could see. Police present and there are large signs on lampposts stating 'it is illegal to drink alcohol in the meadows you could be fined'

Aye was same yesterday

Loads of police and mobile cctv

A few groups of guys appearing after the cops walked by but then quickly moving on again when next patrol showed up

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure that outfit is called a 'Sparky Griffiths'. 

Shame it wasn’t just an Orange Lucozade bottle he used. 

Just like last time in Porty, it takes serious public disturbances and violence for the Police and Council to pull the finger oot.

They're supposed to be proactive and prevent this kind of stuff happening, not be reactive and only start screwing the nut after crimes have already been committed.

It was blindingly obvious that large crowds were going to flock to the Meadows for all-day drinking/drug taking as soon as the sun came out.

It happens every feckin year, pandemic or not.

All they had to do was be there with mounted police as a visible deterrent and things would not have gotten so out of control in the first place.

Shanks said no

I'm led to believe that the Police put out an all officers alert when things started to spiral last Saturday but very few officers were available as they were dealing with similar issues across Edinburgh e.g. Clermiston Hill and Leith. Best they were able to muster was 20 extra bodies. 

Could very easily have been much worse than it was.

Governor Tarkin
14 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

It's a shame to ruin it for those of us who can behave ourselves, which is the vast majority.

I sincerely hope this is only a short term measure to deal with the current issues.

McGlynn The Money
On 05/04/2021 at 20:40, Sharpie said:

I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

:oohmatron:

Ron Burgundy

Went up mob handed with my mates looking for a ruck but the rozzers had us well tucked up on arrival.

Also it was freezing and the string in my mittens would have seriously reduced the power in my uppercuts so a lot of people got lucky.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Went up mob handed with my mates looking for a ruck but the rozzers had us well tucked up on arrival.

Also it was freezing and the string in my mittens would have seriously reduced the power in my uppercuts so a lot of people got lucky.

There's always next week, Ron. 

The Meadows aint goin' nowhere. 

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

There's always next week, Ron. 

The Meadows aint goin' nowhere. 

And we'll be ready. I'm getting longer mitten string fitted.

maroondevo52
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I'm led to believe that the Police put out an all officers alert when things started to spiral last Saturday but very few officers were available as they were dealing with similar issues across Edinburgh e.g. Clermiston Hill and Leith. Best they were able to muster was 20 extra bodies. 

Could very easily have been much worse than it was.

Without a doubt, think the Officers on the ground were miffed that the Public Order guys in vans close by were not called in.

Harry Potter

Aye nice and warm to sit in the meadows yesterday, 6C, wee flurry o snow might have

helped the cucumber triangle shaped sannies go down a treat, 😮sat in the back garden for

10 mins yesterday, baltic.

5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Did you have your grey jobby catchers on?

Armed police arrested a 20-year-old male in Inverleith Park yesterday evening after reports of a disturbance. A crossbow was recovered at the scene.

A feckin crossbow

:wtf:

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Armed police arrested a 20-year-old male in Inverleith Park yesterday evening after reports of a disturbance. A crossbow was recovered at the scene.

A feckin crossbow

:wtf:

We need @sadj back in Edinburgh to sort these ****s out. 

maroondevo52

At the Celtic v Lazio game a couple of years ago, a Celtic 'fan' punched a police horse in the face then was apprehended by mounted police using their extra long batons.

On 04/04/2021 at 13:49, Tazio said:

Yep, one of the pubs near me has definitely had some shady opening going on. It’s got a mostly disused function suite behind it hidden from the street and I’ve seen a few people outside it smoking recently. 

Aye theres one in a town near us that has its function suite curtains closed permanently , loads of cars/taxis turning up picking up n dropping off folk. Its right opposite an unmanned cop shop too which in itself is amusing.

McGlynn The Money
2 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

At the Celtic v Lazio game a couple of years ago, a Celtic 'fan' punched a police horse in the face then was apprehended by mounted police using their extra long batons.

:oohmatron:

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, sadj said:

🤣🤣 usual fees apply

I know a spiteful wee dumpy burst with an Indian sounding name that'll give you a hand shandy in the phone box at the Forrest Road end of Middle Meadow Walk. 

Watch out for the nails, though. 

30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I know a spiteful wee dumpy burst with an Indian sounding name that'll give you a hand shandy in the phone box at the Forrest Road end of Middle Meadow Walk. 

Watch out for the nails, though. 

A Spiteful hand shandy is always a good hand shandy 🤣#sold

JudyJudyJudy

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

Seymour M Hersh
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

In some respects I agree with you but honestly have the wine sipping "rugger" people been involved in the violence? Or was that down to the grey sweat suit wearing chavs? 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Maybe you should think of the reason why the Police have to be there in such numbers, rather than moaning about the Police presence.

If some folks just behaved themselves, then there would be no need for the Police to have to patrol the park.

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

In some respects I agree with you but honestly have the wine sipping "rugger" people been involved in the violence? Or was that down to the grey sweat suit wearing chavs? 

I agree with you that the rugged lots don't get involved like the seear suit types, but it does nothing to change the mindset of them towards the police if they see different treatment.  If there is no drinking in the meadows, that should mean the wine suppers as well.  

If you demonise those types compared to the wine suppers, they will never respect the law.  Works both ways.  

Enzo Chiefo
28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

To be honest, James , I think we're past worrying about Covid breaches and it's back to a crackdown to prevent ned related disturbances, so that those who want to enjoy their bevvy socially , can do so. A degree of summer normality returning imo

42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm not sure whether to be outraged at the police for talking to people or for people being allowed to sip wine.  

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not sure if they have but probably unlikely and some of the "chavs" are actually from middle class backgrounds.  You shouldnt tar everyone with the same stick. Unfortunately that it what the police are doing hence my posting.  Assuming that all the young people dressed in a certain way will misbehave .  Its a futile operation as they will just go elsewhere to drink. It smacks of doing something for the sake of it really.  Its unsustainable anyway.  It just felt unplesant having such a big police presence in a place where people are out to chill and relax ( well most people) 

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maybe you should think of the reason why the Police have to be there in such numbers, rather than moaning about the Police presence.

If some folks just behaved themselves, then there would be no need for the Police to have to patrol the park.

The reasons are also due to lockdown. Indoor meetings banned so what else are some people to do ? Cant wait can they ? Yes getting tanked up and fighting isnt a good image but its been happening since time began.  Its not a new phenomena 

20 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree with you that the rugged lots don't get involved like the seear suit types, but it does nothing to change the mindset of them towards the police if they see different treatment.  If there is no drinking in the meadows, that should mean the wine suppers as well.  

If you demonise those types compared to the wine suppers, they will never respect the law.  Works both ways.  

Yep stereotype and demonize them and they become more angry and resentful and tensions build up . Yes if there is an alcohol ban. It includes everyone  > But we witnessed it with our own eyes police walking passed certain groups of people drinking whereas they moved on others. 

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be honest, James , I think we're past worrying about Covid breaches and it's back to a crackdown to prevent ned related disturbances, so that those who want to enjoy their bevvy socially , can do so. A degree of summer normality returning imo

I have forgotten what the rules are now anyway so unsure if there was any potential covid breaches. As you know most people have literraly voted with their feet regarding outdoor " rules" Yes a degree of normality 

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not sure if they have but probably unlikely and some of the "chavs" are actually from middle class backgrounds.  You shouldnt tar everyone with the same stick. Unfortunately that it what the police are doing hence my posting.  Assuming that all the young people dressed in a certain way will misbehave .  Its a futile operation as they will just go elsewhere to drink. It smacks of doing something for the sake of it really.  Its unsustainable anyway.  It just felt unplesant having such a big police presence in a place where people are out to chill and relax ( well most people) 

The reasons are also due to lockdown. Indoor meetings banned so what else are some people to do ? Cant wait can they ? Yes getting tanked up and fighting isnt a good image but its been happening since time began.  Its not a new phenomena 

Yep stereotype and demonize them and they become more angry and resentful and tensions build up . Yes if there is an alcohol ban. It includes everyone  > But we witnessed it with our own eyes police walking passed certain groups of people drinking whereas they moved on others. 

I have forgotten what the rules are now anyway so unsure if there was any potential covid breaches. As you know most people have literraly voted with their feet regarding outdoor " rules" Yes a degree of normality 

Which is sort of what you did. 

JudyJudyJudy

Which is sort of what you did. 

Not neccessarily. I did note that some people whom some call chavs can cause bother but not them all. Its the police who are being discriminatory but looking out for certain " types.." I think its called " profiling" 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Not neccessarily. I did note that some people whom some call chavs can cause bother but not them all. Its the police who are being discriminatory but looking out for certain " types.." I think its called " profiling" 

I was meaning labelling the rugger bugger crowd.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ive been in the company of many a " rugger bugger" crowd and they arent exactly outstanding role models....( well some obviously ) 

Auldbenches

Well played and hands up, you could've replied to my post with that...

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need more profiling imo.

Exactly!  Where are we going to get the good jokes from if we can't stereotype? 

Jeffros Furios

Its a long time since I had a peeve in the meadows,  last time was lager and buckie with the pipe of piece 

and in the later hours there  was a few dancing tablets then a game of football,. 

All the Uni/Student crowd were sound and at that time there were no grey trakkie 4ft growling pikies .

Actually if I understand it correctly the police are there in numbers talking to the young people who could be persons who could participate in a large potentially troublesome crowd.  Its not a bad ida to allow them to see the availability of large police numbers if required, its also possible in a gentle way to predict what can be the result of unrest, i.e arrest, criminal charges, a criminal record, and how it an affect future career opportunities. It may all be a waste of time but if one kid is averted from trouble it may all be worthwhile. Police contact in an unaggressive manner is also never a bad thing. Many time it has been said words can save a lot of trouble. As can showing somebody cares.

Police are there for everybody's safety.

Acting more like stewards at an open-air festival than enforcers.

As it should be.

Enzo Chiefo
58 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Exactly!  Where are we going to get the good jokes from if we can't stereotype? 

That's why left wing comedians aren't funny. Reduced to profanities about Tooaaaaries, Trump or Israel*. 

*perm any 2 from 3. Give me a Basil Fawlty or a Del Boy, stereotyping and offending all and sundry,  any day of the week.

Auldbenches
18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's why left wing comedians aren't funny. Reduced to profanities about Tooaaaaries, Trump or Israel*. 

*perm any 2 from 3. Give me a Basil Fawlty or a Del Boy, stereotyping and offending all and sundry,  any day of the week.

It's a weird mentality all this getting offended at being called something.  If someone gets called a fat, Scottish, speccy, bauld barsteward, it's the Scottish bit they getting offended by the most rather than the personal stuff.  It's odd.

Auldbenches
22 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

'Someone called me something'*  well get over it. 

I don't mean racial, etc which leads to genuine prejudice.  

Shite being angry at someone if you can't let rip. 

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

It's a weird mentality all this getting offended at being called something.  If someone gets called a fat, Scottish, speccy, bauld barsteward, it's the Scottish bit they getting offended by the most rather than the personal stuff.  It's odd.

Well done Auldbenches, you've described me perfectly.  And I'm not offended😂