Meadows fightclub

Shanks said no

One thing to try is police with riot gear carrying shields and long batons. Marching towards the disturbers and beating their shield with the long batons. Intimidation abounds, dressed for action obviously looking for it, and obviously prepared.  Its all psychology, but on getting close a couple of tear gas grenades would do no harm to the intimidation level. I am not sure if Police Scotland or whomever it is now are prepared for such actions, they  should be considering it. The best police action seems to be instilling fear, in the old days horses were used, policemen were usually tall,and in the fifties and sixties most had military training due to National Service. To my mind the secret is not to allow the ruffians to consider they have control, when that is lost as the saying goes the ba's burst.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• Cade

• frankblack

• JudyJudyJudy

William H. Bonney
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How many films have made you go out and assault somebody?

Zero for me. 

Have you seen love actually? 

6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

One thing to try is police with riot gear carrying shields and long batons. Marching towards the disturbers and beating their shield with the long batons. Intimidation abounds, dressed for action obviously looking for it, and obviously prepared.  Its all psychology, but on getting close a couple of tear gas grenades would do no harm to the intimidation level. I am not sure if Police Scotland or whomever it is now are prepared for such actions, they  should be considering it. The best police action seems to be instilling fear, in the old days horses were used, policemen were usually tall,and in the fifties and sixties most had military training due to National Service. To my mind the secret is not to allow the ruffians to consider they have control, when that is lost as the saying goes the ba's burst.

Sadly they’re only allowed to give them a big cuddle nowadays 

millerjames398
4 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

All look like a bunch of One Direction **** boys.

More like a Scottish tribute act.."nae direction"😂

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Your talking about releasing tear gas and water cannons on teenagers. Just let that sink in.

The only thing that should be sinking in is plod's size 10s.

the general
8 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Haven't been to any myself but I know there are pubs who are still operating to this day.

The City Centre pubs and locals were night and day when they reopened last time.

Such as?

the general
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

The last good weekend I saw three policemen walking through the middle of the Meadows chatting to small groups of girls and having a laugh with them but studiously ignoring large groups of lads with big carryoots standing at the edges clearly looking for bother

Seymour M Hersh

Your talking about releasing tear gas and water cannons on teenagers. Just let that sink in. The vast majority of whom will turn up, get pished and go home. All that does is incite more of them to in turn fight back and boom you have a full scale riot. More people hurt and more emergency service workers hurt. Simply not the solution hence the police haven’t gone down that route. 

Teenagers who may well be/probably are by the look of them on the video under age. Plod should know the likely gathering places by now and should be going in early and mob handed confiscating all the booze. Most of them won't be "hardmen" without a bevvy in them for Dutch courage. 

Last time around it was beach battles in Porty.

The authorities pulled the finger oot, sent in lots of Polis, confiscated all their booze and began searching people getting off trains at Brunstane.

Things calmed down soon after.

The high heid yins always wait until its too late to act.

Someone always has to get seriously hurt before anything is done.

John Findlay

Your talking about releasing tear gas and water cannons on teenagers. Just let that sink in. The vast majority of whom will turn up, get pished and go home. All that does is incite more of them to in turn fight back and boom you have a full scale riot. More people hurt and more emergency service workers hurt. Simply not the solution hence the police haven’t gone down that route. 

If the majority are as well behaved as you believe then they will stay well clear of the troublemakers, no?

Therefore the only people the police will quite rightly get heavy handed with will be the troublemakers themselves. If these teenagers are up for bottling someone in the head, then they cannot have any complaints about getting a police baton over the shoulder or on the kneecap. Want to act the hardman regardless of your age then be more than prepared to suffer the consequences.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Hundreds of people in the meadows, 10 or 15 involved in a fight and the kickback bam team are advocating water cannon, battering them, riot police thumping riot shields with big sticks in unison like the 9th legion advancing. 

FFS😂

It looks like the police dealt with it well by huckling the arses rather than following the populist vote on here of napalming everyone who was there, even though 99% were just peacefully doing what people do on a sunny afternoon. 

Did you not hurt your hand when you bottled that lad?

Edited by Governor Tarkin

14 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Hundreds of people in the meadows, 10 or 15 involved in a fight and the kickback bam team are advocating water cannon, battering them, riot police thumping riot shields with big sticks in unison like the 9th legion advancing. 

FFS😂

It looks like the police dealt with it well by huckling the arses rather than following the populist vote on here of napalming everyone who was there, even though 99% were just peacefully doing what people do on a sunny afternoon. 

Napalming would be just ridiculous. would take forever, if at all,  for the grass to grow back

been here before
15 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

FFS😂

Too ****in right.

Personally Id napalm some folk that werent there too just incase.

Imagine the amount of likes that content would get bro.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Very true. Would ruin the pitch n putt. 

The pitch n putt is on Bruntsfield Links, so we should be good to daisy-cutter the Meadows.

I regret answering this thread now, it led me to believe there were a large group of people in the Meadows, with numbers involved in brawls, it seems now ten or fifteen people were actually, in fact brawling, and I take it the remainder of a large  group were peaceful law abiding citizens. This was what I would have attended with a good partner and failure to cease would have resulted in Breach of the Peace.  However there was suggestion that one person was struck in the face with a bottle, the accused for that would be arrested for something more serious. However it does now seem to be being reported as nothing more than my normal Saturday night fight outside the White Hoose on Niddrie Mains Road. If this is so then my suggestion of serious police action is high over reaction.  I guess I will have to start researching the content of posts in other areas before commenting.

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Probably the same bored teenagers smashing the bus windows. 

Kinda inevitable when you shut down all the things for them to do. You know they might head to Cinemas, football fields, clubs, pubs or they are old enough instead of fighting at the meadows. 

Aye, poor wee dears, can't get to the roller disco with my chums so I'm gonna smack somebody over the back of the head with a glass bottle.

"Kinda inevitable", feck all.

FFS.

maroondevo52
40 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

FFS😂

I think your spot on there, you can bet there were vans with public order officers waiting to be deployed if needed.

You can see from the videos there were not a great number of ‘ordinary’ Police Officers in the meadows.

9 hours ago, been here before said:

Tidying up crap left behind by shite paggering neds is an admirable thing to do. Very public spirited and worthy of thanks.

It doesnt make one a hero though.

Nor will it encourage the shite paggerers to clean their crap up after themselves after they have finished their pavement dancing (unsure of the equivalent term when it occurs in an open grassy area - any suggestions?) and/or slapping someone from behind and then running away to brag to their make-up encrusted bursds about how hard they are.

The boy using the bottle  will be bragging to his little cretin pals how hard he is when in fact he's a cowardly weasel

I dont see how you don't just pick one group. "Move along please folks and take your booze"....no...you want to give some aggro...OK....booze confiscated.....into the meat wagon..........when that van comes back in 10 we'll move to the next group.

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

He’ll be in a cell right now feeling a bit of a dick I’d imagine. 

A couple of years in Polmont is on the cards. 

Hopefully. We'll see how hard he is then

11 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Witness someone being bottled = "that's the best content I've ever got".

:facepalm:

That’s what stood out to me. You’ve got a generation who want to record things rather than prevent them or stop them.

A look where I am generation 

Im glad I’m an auld codger

A Boy Named Crow
11 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Witness someone being bottled = "that's the best content I've ever got".

:facepalm:

Stick on future Tory voter...cretin 

7 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

FFS😂

😁

Exactly.  No need to demonise the masses because of a few arseholes. 

This sort of stuff has been going on for years, it just that folk with phones and a thirst for "good content" make it more visible to others.

Edited by Candy

maroondevo52
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I regret answering this thread now, it led me to believe there were a large group of people in the Meadows, with numbers involved in brawls, it seems now ten or fifteen people were actually, in fact brawling, and I take it the remainder of a large  group were peaceful law abiding citizens. This was what I would have attended with a good partner and failure to cease would have resulted in Breach of the Peace.  However there was suggestion that one person was struck in the face with a bottle, the accused for that would be arrested for something more serious. However it does now seem to be being reported as nothing more than my normal Saturday night fight outside the White Hoose on Niddrie Mains Road. If this is so then my suggestion of serious police action is high over reaction.  I guess I will have to start researching the content of posts in other areas before commenting.

Some time after the events in the video around 100 to 150 youths attacked the few Police Officers on duty with bottles and anything else they could throw.

I think the Police did well not sending in the Public Order guys in.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t agree that this generation is worse than any other. If anything they are generally way more tolerant and less violent than the previous

We become much more developed as time goes by. This is reflected in younger generations in their attitudes and actions. 

Violence was much more common place in times gone bye abd we most certainly were less tolerant and ..isms and all that came with them were much more common place. 

The unfortunate thing the younger generations are growing in the camera phone/social media age. They get away with nothing as someone is always looking for content. Whilst there actions are magnified due to social media. 

If people had camera phones and social media in the 70 and 80’s it would see much worst sites than that which the current young team are bringing. 

You will always have arseholes and certain young men will want to prove/test themselves physically. That seems much less prevalent than in days gone past. The young team are too busing being woke as they discuss their feeling of being snowballs. 

It hard to keep up if they are softest or the most violent generation😃

Very, very true.

70’s were mental. Champions League mental.

It was normal for the crackpots to be tooled up 24/7.

This was playing to the camera, pretend chicanery.

16 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Bob, you're a great poster and a wealth of good advice due to your vast experience but......

:notsure:

13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I should have read on. Stand down folks everything is back to normal. 👍

29 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Bob, you're a great poster and a wealth of good advice due to your vast experience but......

:notsure:

Based on what I understood in my first post I was, but seeing later input I posted a second post withdrawing totally the first suggestion. I admitted quite freely I felt that I had overstated the solution, I was wrong in my suggestion and should have read more carefully about the subject.  as the kids say here when caught out, "me bad".😇

scott herbertson
14 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Having avoided the White Hoose for most of my scaredy pants youth, I'm pretty sure the Meadows lot would have kacked their breeks if faced with a true old style Niddrie pagger

In a very large, open area such as The Meadows, mounted police makes sense for a number of reasons.

They are a very visible deterrent to bother.

They can get to trouble spots faster than foot patrols can.

They can spot trouble from a longer distance, being much higher up.

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

In a very large, open area such as The Meadows, mounted police makes sense for a number of reasons.

..plus if they're hibees causing bother, the Horses can *****  on the B**stards below, below

Captain Slog
15 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

PS Bob. The White Hoose has been restored and is now a community hub rather than a boozer. 

I recall my cousin taking me to this as a rite of passage when i was a teen.  He came from the Inch, and convinced me I would be lucky to have a pint and leave without a kicking.

My experience at that pub gave me one of my proudest moments. I was designated as the relief driver for the Mayfield patrol van. It was a Friday night and we received a call about a disturbance at the Captains Cabin in the parking lot. I stayed in the van while the other guys went out to take care of the problem. It seemed from what I could see that the police were sort of losing the grip, so I thought possibly I could help. As I approached I heard a shout of 'lets go, thats Big Blue Eyes coming" and a group of the antagonists that I recognised from Niddrie were leaving fast, they and I had developed experiences of disturbance at the said White Hoose on numerous occasions, it was indeed gratifying to know that my kindly and gentle approach to these incidents had engendered such praise that they should immediately cease and desist from any further trouble. I was proud to know that my educational and tender feelings attitude to these misled men motivated them to rapid and speedy cessation of activities.

maroondevo52

I played pool in The White House for the Ladyfield Bar in Morrison Street, they beat us 10-0, no sure if it was the shaky hands that was our downfall.

Heard a couple of locals saying they were going to rob the watch of one of the CID guys they had spotted.

23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

My experience at that pub gave me one of my proudest moments. I was designated as the relief driver for the Mayfield patrol van. It was a Friday night and we received a call about a disturbance at the Captains Cabin in the parking lot. I stayed in the van while the other guys went out to take care of the problem. It seemed from what I could see that the police were sort of losing the grip, so I thought possibly I could help. As I approached I heard a shout of 'lets go, thats Big Blue Eyes coming" and a group of the antagonists that I recognised from Niddrie were leaving fast, they and I had developed experiences of disturbance at the said White Hoose on numerous occasions, it was indeed gratifying to know that my kindly and gentle approach to these incidents had engendered such praise that they should immediately cease and desist from any further trouble. I was proud to know that my educational and tender feelings attitude to these misled men motivated them to rapid and speedy cessation of activities.

:D

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Sadly we don’t have a local mounted division anymore. 
My uncle who was the first ever mounted policeman in Edinburgh City Police would have sorted them out.

BB7D3619-8939-4D29-8797-4D51CC260440.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

My uncle who was the first ever mounted policeman in Edinburgh City Police would have sorted them out.

I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I mind the now banned poster Geoff the Mince getting his sunburnt head nibbled by a police horse during the withdrawal from a spot of pavement dancing with the cardboard terrorists.

Those gee gees really are magnificent beasts.

27 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

Two names I remember well, if my memory is correct my Uncle taught Tam to ride when he was assigned to the mounted division. The stables were in the Cowgate which was a place I used to get to sit on the horses. I often went to the Smithy at the junction on Captains Rd and Frogston Rd to see my Uncle Charlie and his horse Barney (He had an official name that  began with E designating he was an Edinburgh horse) as I lived in Gracemount which was handy. 

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I mind the now banned poster Geoff the Mince getting his sunburnt head nibbled by a police horse during the withdrawal from a spot of pavement dancing with the cardboard terrorists.

I got sent flying by one of the big hairy shitebags going into the School End once. It got spooked by something and hit me with its massive horse arse. It was like getting hit by a car and pinged me off my feet and I landed about 10ft away. 
No apology from the person who was apparently in charge of it despite my barrage of bad language towards the horse. 

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I got sent flying by one of the big hairy shitebags going into the School End once. It got spooked by something and hit me with its massive horse arse. It was like getting hit by a car and pinged me off my feet and I landed about 10ft away. 
No apology from the person who was apparently in charge of it despite my barrage of bad language towards the horse. 

You should've gotten on to one of those shyster lawyer companies for compo, Taz'.      :seething:

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You should've gotten on to one of those shyster lawyer companies for compo, Taz'.      :seething:

Well I had plenty witnesses. Most of them pissing themselves laughing at me. 

Konrad von Carstein
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well I had plenty witnesses. Most of them pissing themselves laughing at me. 

:lol:

Doctor FinnBarr
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

My tall mate who was looking down at me and chatting as we followed 2 horses along Gorgie after a Celtic game turned round just as one stopped, lifted its tail and farted into his face/hair. He had long Dreadnought hair (if you get my gist), he was late to the Dreddy that night as he had to wash his hair 4 times before the smell vanished.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Geoff?  Tennis Geoff?

He had a great night on here after the Celtic cup final.  😀😀