Toilet Window.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Dont know if this has been covered before, but why are some houses being built with a toilet minus a window.

The same has to be said about my old work, the garage, toilet with no window.

Its a must after a severe number 2 to get that window open to let the lovely fresh air in to decontaminate the toilet.

Ok so there will be extractor fans in said space but cant compare to an open window, whats everbodies opinion

on this matter, if any. 

Houses built like that also tend to suffer awful mould problems in the bathrooms.

Those tiny wee electric ventilators just don't do the job.
Not only do you always have to have the lights on but you also always need to have the extractor on, total waste of electricity.

The Real Maroonblood

My second toilet doesn’t have a window.

But not used regularly.

Both have extractor fans but not worth a sook.

24 minutes ago, Cade said:

Houses built like that also tend to suffer awful mould problems in the bathrooms.

Those tiny wee electric ventilators just don't do the job.
Not only do you always have to have the lights on but you also always need to have the extractor on, total waste of electricity.

Ive got a new build with a main bathroom (bath) and en suite (shower) that have no windows. The extractor fan provided is excellent. Can be set to be on 24/7 and increase in power when the light is on. Never had any problems with mould in either bathroom.

Initially had mould problem in the master bedroom and had to push the builders to admit fault and find it (broken pipe from the aforementioned extractor system). But once they had they dealt with it excellently and compensated appropriately. 

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Ive got a new build with a main bathroom (bath) and en suite (shower) that have no windows. The extractor fan provided is excellent. Can be set to be on 24/7 and increase in power when the light is on. Never had any problems with mould in either bathroom.

Initially had mould problem in the master bedroom and had to push the builders to admit fault and find it (broken pipe from the aforementioned extractor system). But once they had they dealt with it excellently and compensated appropriately. 

Drying the shower area is a huge help keeping the mould away. 

I try and get a shower before Mrs TRM.

☺️

highlandjambo3

Had two bathrooms fitted out last year.  The extraction/air circulation is properly calculated now with the volume of hot water and size of the room taken into account.  My bathroom fitter fitted a super silent extremely efficient extractor which is on 24/7.  When there is a buildup of steam, the extractor sensor ramps up its performance to deal with it...................that’s what you get for £12k 👍

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Drying the shower area is a huge help keeping the mould away. 

I try and get a shower before Mrs TRM.

☺️

Don’t wait for mould to appear before dealing with it.  If you give the shower a wee skoosh with that “mould” remover every month or so you’ll never see any mould......can’t remember the name but the bottle is a purplish colour.

When I stayed in Wester Hailes, neither of the two flats I lived in had windows in the toilets. Never had any problems with damp. I don't think any flats there have bog windows; maybe some of the newer ones do? I don't know.  The only problem I remember was that in one flat sometimes you could smell a neighbours cooking in our toilet. It wasn't too nice.  I assume we shared ducting. The thought that they might have had to put up with some of the stenches I produced is a bit of a consolation.

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

When I stayed in Wester Hailes, neither of the two flats I lived in had windows in the toilets. Never had any problems with damp. I don't think any flats there have bog windows; maybe some of the newer ones do? I don't know.  The only problem I remember was that in one flat sometimes you could smell a neighbours cooking in our toilet. It wasn't too nice.  I assume we shared ducting. The thought that they might have had to put up with some of the stenches I produced is a bit of a consolation.

Right kids the kitchen is out of bounds for a few days. I’ve just seen flat 5  coming back with 12 cans of Super. 

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Don’t wait for mould to appear before dealing with it.  If you give the shower a wee skoosh with that “mould” remover every month or so you’ll never see any mould......can’t remember the name but the bottle is a purplish colour.

👍

10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Right kids the kitchen is out of bounds for a few days. I’ve just seen flat 5  coming back with 12 cans of Super. 

and a vindaloo