Shay Logan

lou

Tokyo Drifter

Thought he did really well. We looked like a different team when he played. He's uber-confident, gave us pace down the flank and his end product was decent too. Really looked like a Premiership player. I'd have kept him.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Nookie Bear

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

I was told the game against ICT was his last game at Tynecastle as he was moving back down south in the summer. His family has already moved. No idea if something has changed as all the players are on ‘holiday’ at the moment. I had expected Shay to be announced soon as signing as we had been speaking to him for a few weeks about next season. Something has to have happened for Robbie to come out and say what he has.

A bit of doubt about your claims that Smith is leaving, not sure the strength of your source, it’s not as though he can just walk, he signed a 1 year extension 3 months ago. Unless someone is buying him and we’re getting a fee maybe? Not totally out of the question, if someone’s wanting an experienced cheap full back. 

35 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I don’t think Kingsley is a very good defender. We have only recently achieved clean sheets and that has coincided with Kingsley being injured.

Halliday has also put some great balls into the box from the left hand side.

I think the clean sheets have more to do with Popescu’s absence than Kingsley’s. 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, andrew said:

I'd normally be the last to defend our current head coach but maybe we should wait and see who we bring in before criticising this decision.

For example, if Callum Paterson was available would folk rather have him or Logan at right back?

Edit: We also don't know what salary or length of contract Logan was demanding.

Exactly this. No one knows, so make it up. If we brought in Kyle Walker some 

would still complain.

iwasthere1954
27 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

For all those saying it's the correct decision, then surely you have to question the signing in the first place, no? 

For me, he's came in and done a decent job for us, he's steadied the ship, gave us some mobility on that side of the pitch, and helps to get GMS involved in games, and a one year deal was an absolute no brainer! 

He'll probably be snapped up by Hibs or Motherwell or something and go on to have a cracking  season with them, Robbie at his very best! (worst!) 

Your making assumptions that's what will happen. Absolutely no evidence to say it will.

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Your making assumptions that's what will happen. Absolutely no evidence to say it will.

Call it experience...

When we signed him most folk went mental and slagged Robbie to bits. Logan has done his job (very well) and is leaving at the end of his contract, now folk are slaggimg Robbie off again. He really can't win, and I'm in the Robbie out camp.

David Black

We can't lower the average age of the team by signing a 33 year old to compete with another 33 year old, at the same time holding back both Brandon and Logan. In fact I would go as far as to say whoever we sign must be no older than 25 or 26.  

1 minute ago, David Black said:

We can't lower the average age of the team by signing a 33 year old to compete with another 33 year old, at the same time holding back both Brandon and Logan. In fact I would go as far as to say whoever we sign must be no older than 25 or 26.  

You won't be wanting Lafferty brought back then.

May one-six

It's a pity about Logan - I thought he looked pretty decent. My big worry about having Michael Smith at right back is his complete inabilty to cross a ball. He's pretty sound defensively, has a fantastic attitude and scores the occasional goal. However, when he has the chance to put the ball in the box, 99 times out of 100 he ****s it up.

Jambo in Bathgate
34 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

I think the clean sheets have more to do with Popescu’s absence than Kingsley’s. 

And Berra. Along with Soapy return. Shay Logan did help he was a good emergency signing  

Edited by Jambo in Bathgate
Additions

Jamhammer
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Robbie is right,we are like the Dads army of Scottish Football FFS,:gok:

Oddly enough that’s what they called the 86 team and they were okay

Its all about balance. If we bring in someone better, fair enough. 

SomethingAboutObua
15 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

When we signed him most folk went mental and slagged Robbie to bits. Logan has done his job (very well) and is leaving at the end of his contract, now folk are slaggimg Robbie off again. He really can't win, and I'm in the Robbie out camp.

Yeah agree. And this sort of criticism gives ammunition to the Robbie in slaverers to deflect from the fact we didn't sign a defender in January when missing our fullbacks and that he thought Cammy Logan on the bench at Cove was better than playing a game or 2 for us. 

SomethingAboutObua
6 minutes ago, May one-six said:

It's a pity about Logan - I thought he looked pretty decent. My big worry about having Michael Smith at right back is his complete inabilty to cross a ball. He's pretty sound defensively, has a fantastic attitude and scores the occasional goal. However, when he has the chance to put the ball in the box, 99 times out of 100 he ****s it up.

Smith imo is the worst for passing back instead of forward aswell. Good defender but hope we bring in someone younger and more forward thinking to challenge him. 

Jamhammer
6 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Would rather pass the ball backwards and generally looks for a safe pass,

Thought Logan got us forward more.

Smith has gone from a 7/10 most weeks to a 5. Looks tired. End of season has come at tight time

davemclaren

I agree with the general principle of lowering the average age of the squad but would have been ok with offering Logan a one year deal specifically. So, meh. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hmmm I appreciate I’ve been banging on about the average age of the squad but Logan has been excellent and we will struggle to find better to fill that right wing back role. 

He still looks very fit as well. 

Maybe someone else in mind or going back to a 4 man defence, so will see. 

One way or another that will give you another opportunity for criticism which should keep you happy,   Fact is manager has made a decision and given his reasons.  I wonder if his plumbing business was also a factor.

RN is looking to fill a CD position, then move Smith back to RB and if we sign Logan permanently that will likely inhibit the progress of his namesake Cammy.

Good luck to Shay, he was decent. We've obviously got someone else lined up who's younger and better. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

One way or another that will give you another opportunity for criticism which should keep you happy,   Fact is manager has made a decision and given his reasons.  I wonder if his plumbing business was also a factor.

RN is looking to fill a CD position, then move Smith back to RB and if we sign Logan permanently that will likely inhibit the progress of his namesake Cammy.

Did he say this? 

Mister Dee

My opinion is, he did well when he came in -but we need younger, quicker players in the team. 
Hope he can find a new team ASAP. 

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Surprised if he does leave. He's been excellent since he arrived. Looks fit and up for the fight, as well. Better footballer than Smith and would like to see him around next season. 

Just now, Mister Dee said:

My opinion is, he did well when he came in -but we need younger, quicker players in the team. 
Hope he can find a new team ASAP. 

Cove had been linked with him so can see shay moving there and still based in the north east and his local business 

Jamtastico

Maybe Logan wanted a 2 year deal... Folk would have been going mental if we signed him on that.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I was criticising my own hypocrisy when it comes to younger player but, unlike some, I am happy to say I was wrong and be proved wrong. 

Michael Smith at full back in the SPL is not for me and Cammy is untried and will probably get a couple of games at most. 

So for me, it’s a position that needs filled this summer. If we are using the back 5 that worked so well then Logan would have been good for a year 🤷‍♂️

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I thought it was a foolish signing in the circumstances. We were going to be promoted anyway and we already had an established international right back.

If we now know that he wasn't going to stay, what exactly it was the point?

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I was criticising my own hypocrisy when it comes to younger player but, unlike some, I am happy to say I was wrong and be proved wrong. 

Michael Smith at full back in the SPL is not for me and Cammy is untried and will probably get a couple of games at most. 

So for me, it’s a position that needs filled this summer. If we are using the back 5 that worked so well then Logan would have been good for a year 🤷‍♂️

At long last!

Just now, Smithee said:

I thought it was a foolish signing in the circumstances. We were going to be promoted anyway and we already had an established international right back.

If we now know that he wasn't going to stay, what exactly it was the point?

I know what you're saying, but Robbie took action to sort out the defence and rid it of Berra and Popescu. Signing Logan was a quick fix that paid off because it allowed him to go to a back 3 with wimg backs. 

Mikey1874
46 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Just another example of the depth and quality of knowledge among people on here.

Just undermines all their other opinions.

I think Logan isn't staying because he has another offer in England. 

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, kila said:

Robbie:

“He has been brilliant for us since he came in but we have to bring the average age of the squad down. We had the oldest squad in the Championship. That's not Hearts.

“Hearts is about giving young boys an opportunity…”

Reads like a response to KickBack concerns… but the last line is a joke given how this season has went. Binning Moore for Frear for example…

Historical evidence and words couldn't have been further apart, not sure whether he is patronizing us or has 'got the memo' and actually changed his tack. 

Shay Logan came in hit the ground running and did far better than I expected. Regardless it's correct that he moves on and we focus on building for the future, just makes it all the more bizarre that we brought him in at all.

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I know what you're saying, but Robbie took action to sort out the defence and rid it of Berra and Popescu. Signing Logan was a quick fix that paid off because it allowed him to go to a back 3 with wimg backs. 

I was really pleasantly surprised by how well he played, no two ways about that.

But when there are no fans, we're in the second tier, money's tight everywhere, did we really need to spend however many thousand it cost? What problem were we solving if we were already certs for promotion?

I like the guy, good player, waste of money though.

Edited by Smithee

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Historical evidence and words couldn't have been further apart, not sure whether he is patronizing us or has 'got the memo' and actually changed his tack. 

Shay Logan came in hit the ground running and did far better than I expected. Regardless it's correct that he moves on and we focus on building for the future, just makes it all the more bizarre that we brought him in at all.

This

12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Edinburgh Live has it in quotation marks.

Edinburgh Live has a lot of articles, is it from today, yesterday, last week? 

Glamorgan Jambo

Best of luck to him and hope he finds a team for next season. And if he visits a fan filled Tynie gets a bit of appreciation.

He did something pretty much none of the other wide players did this season and last season. Stayed on the touchline and was always available for an out ball.

I'm not going to argue we should have signed him. I do have concerns that Smith is losing a bit of pace though (possibly the after effects of his Covid though).

PS This is the second or third close season where it's been announced the Smith family have moved back down south permanently. Only to reappear when pre season starts. Nothing against the poster that put the story up though.

kingantti1874

So the grand plan isnt to sign some someone better or younger like Kyle Walker or Calum Paterson? I’m shocked

The grand plan is to move Michael smith back into the position where he has been poor all season?  I’m aware covid may be a factor in his performance but none the less he’s been poor!!

it’s as simple as this -  Shay Logan is a better right back than Michael Smith. If we are honest he always has been and he still is! 

Smith has been a great servant to the club even though he has played in the poorest era I can remember. None the less he is he is finished as a right back .

He’s slow, timid on the ball, and has been caught out of position many times this season - he doesn’t offer much if anything going forward, his delivery is poor and he’s always looking backwards.  

He could be a very decent centre back for a year or 2 but no! - let’s put him back in a position he can no longer play effectively. 

Yet another blunder from Neilson - Guy is an absolute clown

Edited by kingantti1874

18 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Agreed. It seemed an odd signing at the time but we looked a better team with him in it. It’s no coincidence that GMS started playing better too.

I’ve no argument with the idea of reducing the age of the squad but it is frustrating that we don’t keep a good player when the likes of Damour are contributing nothing.

Hector Riva

Jamie and Cammy time 👍. Thanks Shay good job 👏

Tom Hardy’s Dug

So with reference to my earlier post - a complete waste of time and we were right to think it was a mental move by Robbie.

What a twat that guy is turning out to be.

Full of his own self importance and almost as arrogant already as Levein. And Levein achieved way more than Neilson ever will and even then it wasn’t that much.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

David Black
1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

You won't be wanting Lafferty brought back then.

What a scary thought.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So we could put Smith at CB and play 3 at the back. That was the point.

Why - when we only basically needed one game to win the league? What was the actual point? 

4marsbars

I read an interview with Logan a few weeks ago, where he said he was enjoying the drive down from Aberdeen in early morning, mostly dry, sunny weather on quiet (because of covid) roads. 

Fast forward to autumn and winter and that drive becomes a journey in darkness and poor weather on busier roads (because of gradual return of commuting traffic), including congestion going round Dundee and crossing the Forth. That's much less enjoyable, and he didn't sound like he wanted to relocate.

He was a good loan signing and will rightly get a warm welcome should he ever return in an Aberdeen strip. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

What? Finally one of the few signings that have worked  and we don’t offer him a deal. 😂 

What exactly was the point then if it wasn’t to win a deal for next season

Precisely this.

Shay Logan played with more youth and vigour than most other players in the squad and certainly more so than any other 30 something.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

So all of a sudden when we get in the big league Robbie wants younger players when he just had a full season where he could have properly blooded a number of younger players but didn’t.

Who is he kidding? He isn’t going to turn to youth just like that...

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

gordon simpson
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

So with reference to my earlier post - a complete waste of time and we were right to think it was a mental move by Robbie.

What a twat that guy is turning out to be.

Full of his own self importance and almost as arrogant already as Levein. And Levein achieved way more than Neilson ever will and even then it wasn’t that much.

Tom interested to know what Levein achieved , apart from him almost single handedly destroy our club ?