Shay Logan

lou

Brighton Jambo

I was surprised we aren’t keeping him but reading Robbies comments I actually agree with them.  Need to get average age down, Smith is a right back not a centre half and we need to sign better centre half’s.  

A surprisingly reassuring forward looking decisions. 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Nookie Bear

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo

I am surprised we aren’t keeping him but reading Robbies comments I actually agree with them.  Need to get average age down, Smith is a right back not a centre half and we need to sign better centre half’s.  

A surprisingly reassuring forward looking decision.  

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I was surprised we aren’t keeping him but reading Robbies comments I actually agree with them.  Need to get average age down, Smith is a right back not a centre half and we need to sign better centre half’s.  

I don't fancy Smith at RB next season at all. He's slowing up and it shows. Agree with RN's comments in a more general sense though and look forward to some younger, hungrier players arriving.

I thought our defence picked up with him in the side.  Might have been worth another year IMO. Interesting now to see if White is offered another contract.

Hearts are about giving youth an opportunity eh......

So he sent away a young and upcoming Logan to play a much older Logan.

Robbie Neilson talks in riddles and contradicts himself in every other interview. It’s no wonder so many think he’s not got a clue.....he really doesn’t help himself.

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don't fancy Smith at RB next season at all. He's slowing up and it shows. Agree with RN's comments in a more general sense though and look forward to some younger, hungrier players arriving.

Agree. I hope we are looking at a RB more of Kingsley’s standard at LB 

Although SK has had a couple of brain fart moments he’s generally of much better quality than what we’ve had for a while.  

Similar at RB, please. 

Edited by Debut 4

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Logan has been ok, nothing more.

More than that I reckon. Gave us width, makes GMS a better layer by giving him room to play, and is still athletic enough to get up and down the wing. 

I don’t think we can replace Logan with what we have so RN will need to bring in a younger model. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

Robbie Neilson talks in riddles and contradicts himself in every other interview. It’s no wonder so many think he’s not got a clue.....he really doesn’t help himself.

And when we need to get a solid footing back  in the SPL we decide to start giving untried(possibly) young players a place?  

It could be he’s going to give others who’ve been around the squad for a while more responsibility but we still need a balance. Other managers got that right in the past. Question marks remain here though.  

Just now, Debut 4 said:

Agree. I hope we are looking at a RB more of Kingsley’s standard at LB 

Although the SK has had a couple of brain fart moments he’s generally of much better quality than what we’ve had for a while.  

Similar at RB, please. 

Kingsley seemed to go off the boil a bit shortly after he signed his contract extension. Could just be coincidence obviously. He was a breath of fresh air when he arrived so hopefully starts next season in that form.

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

More than that I reckon. Gave us width, makes GMS a better layer by giving him room to play, and is still athletic enough to get up and down the wing. 

I don’t think we can replace Logan with what we have so RN will need to bring in a younger model. 

Sorry NB, I have to disagree.

He didn't do a lot wrong, but he didn't do a lot full stop.

I would think that Neilson has someone in mind to fill that position that will be a better option than Logan

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

And when we need to get a solid footing back  in the SPL we decide to start giving untried(possibly) young players a place?  

It could be he’s going to give others who’ve been around the squad for a while more responsibility but we still need a balance. Other managers got that right in the past. Question marks remain here though.  

Could be budgets. Everyone assuming we have plenty cash to chuck around but Logan would likely have been looking at similar cash to his Aberdeen deal (which I think would be quite high). If we are bringing in 8-10 players the budget could get quite tight.

Nookie Bear
Just now, The Treasurer said:

Sorry NB, I have to disagree.

He didn't do a lot wrong, but he didn't do a lot full stop.

I would think that Neilson has someone in mind to fill that position that will be a better option than Logan

Thats fair enough 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if we are going to a back four again, which is probably not ideal for Shay. 

kingantti1874

What? Finally one of the few signings that have worked  and we don’t offer him a deal. 😂 

What exactly was the point then if it wasn’t to win a deal for next season

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What? Finally one of the few signings that have worked  and we don’t offer him a deal. 😂 

What exactly was the point then if it wasn’t to win a deal for next season

So we could put Smith at CB and play 3 at the back. That was the point.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So we could put Smith at CB and play 3 at the back. That was the point.

for the last 5 games in a season we had already won? It wasn’t with the intention to work towards something for next season.?given 3 out of those 5 games have been the best we’ve played all season maybe we should think about sticking with it.

but of course we won’t, the poundland tinkerman will somehow find a way to **** it up

Edited by kingantti1874

GMS played his best football once Logan had signed which don’t think was a coincidence. Would have offered at least a 1 year deal

Bazzas right boot

Maybe Glass wants him back, be interesting to see if he signs on up there. 

If he's a free, imo he was definitely worth a deal, he's been on eof the best right backs in th league for years. 

Anyway, klaxon oot. 

Big summer window ahead. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

GMS played his best football once Logan had signed which don’t think was a coincidence. Would have offered at least a 1 year deal

GMS was getting better each game, he also went to the middle in the 352 as opposed to on the wing in a 442.

Diadora Van Basten
41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Kingsley seemed to go off the boil a bit shortly after he signed his contract extension. Could just be coincidence obviously. He was a breath of fresh air when he arrived so hopefully starts next season in that form.

Halliday is actually a better left back.

Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

Than Kingsley? I disagree but competition for places has got to be a good thing.

kingantti1874

Finally gets a signing right! , proves the majority of the fans wrong and get us eating a bit of humble pie! 

Release Him 😂

what an absolutely bizarre football manager he is

Edited by kingantti1874

I'd normally be the last to defend our current head coach but maybe we should wait and see who we bring in before criticising this decision.

For example, if Callum Paterson was available would folk rather have him or Logan at right back?

Edit: We also don't know what salary or length of contract Logan was demanding.

Edited by andrew

HillmanHearts

Quite disappointed in this. I'd have kept him for next season. Agree we need more youth generally but we also need fighters and we are lacking badly in that area. Logan has that gutsy spirit and also seemed as fit as anyone in that squad. Good cover too.

Nookie Bear
18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What a fecking weird deal :rofl:

It was a very odd one. 

If we wanted to see how he looked before committing then he certainly looked the part, otherwise I am sure we would have got over the line without him. 

It may have made Robbie’s mind look to a back 5 next season though. 

4marsbars
57 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Good luck to him.

Have we conceeded a goal since he came in?

I'm disappointed to see him go, but we weren't exactly leaking goals before he arrived, however ropy our central defence looked at times.

Section Q
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I hope getting the age down includes Naismith. Logan looked far more useful to the team.

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Section Q said:

I hope getting the age down includes Naismith. Logan looked far more useful to the team.

I think that’s something of a given considering his new coaching role.  Naismith is a useful character to have around and if keeps himself fit may have a role to play when injuries and suspensions hit but doubt he will start many if any games at all next season.  

No Idle Talk
22 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

No way Halliday is a better left back than Stephen Kingsley.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

This is where I'm at. Doesn't think they're good enough or trusts them enough to play in the Championship but will play youngsters in the PL. Where are these hungry, promising youngsters coming from? I'm sure he came up with a load of tripe about playing youngsters last year. Just more BS

Diadora Van Basten
14 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

No way Halliday is a better left back than Stephen Kingsley.

I don’t think Kingsley is a very good defender. We have only recently achieved clean sheets and that has coincided with Kingsley being injured.

Halliday has also put some great balls into the box from the left hand side.

No Idle Talk

Given how he's played since he arrived, I would have been ok with offering Logan a one year deal. I am equally fine with letting him go. 

Seeing the extra energy and pace in his legs has however convinced me that we need to sign another right back in the summer. Michael Smith still has the brain for it but I think the legs are starting to go. He may need to be shifted to a position that requires less running. 

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Agree with this. He's always looking for a pass back the way rather than getting forward.

indianajones

Make no mistake. 

Robbie was signing him for next year but changed his mind after reading the age/younger player comments from Hearts fans. 

StevenNaismith

Something has changed as I know we had previously been talking to him about staying. Makes me wonder if there’s been a change of plan with Michael Smith?

A_A wehatethehibs

All the best to him. Done a job. The idiotic thing about it was, we should’ve done it in January.

For next season, On the one hand neilsons got fans demanding we play more kids.

Then on the other hand he’s got fans demanding him to sign this fella, who would directly block the game time of 2 kids, Jamie Brandon and Cammy Logan next season. Who will be the competition for the elder statesman Smith. 

No Idle Talk
2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I don’t think Kingsley is a very good defender. We have only recently achieved clean sheets and that has coincided with Kingsley being injured.

Halliday has also put some great balls into the box from the left hand side.

I think the run of clean sheets had more to do with:

1. John Souttar coming back

2. Peter Haring playing in midfield

3. The change of formation

......than it had to do with Stephen Kingsley not being in the team. I think you might be connecting two things that are unconnected. 

heartsfc_fan
4 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Something has changed as I know we had previously been talking to him about staying. Makes me wonder if there’s been a change of plan with Michael Smith?

Word was Smith was leaving? Not anymore?

The Old Tolbooth

For all those saying it's the correct decision, then surely you have to question the signing in the first place, no? 

For me, he's came in and done a decent job for us, he's steadied the ship, gave us some mobility on that side of the pitch, and helps to get GMS involved in games, and a one year deal was an absolute no brainer! 

He'll probably be snapped up by Hibs or Motherwell or something and go on to have a cracking  season with them, Robbie at his very best! (worst!) 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

for the last 5 games in a season we had already won? It wasn’t with the intention to work towards something for next season.?given 3 out of those 5 games have been the best we’ve played all season maybe we should think about sticking with it.

but of course we won’t, the poundland tinkerman will somehow find a way to **** it up

It gave us a chance to try out a back 3.

It seemed to work, so it was a worthwhile exercise.

Hopefully with better players than this season

StevenNaismith
8 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Word was Smith was leaving? Not anymore?

I was told the game against ICT was his last game at Tynecastle as he was moving back down south in the summer. His family has already moved. No idea if something has changed as all the players are on ‘holiday’ at the moment. I had expected Shay to be announced soon as signing as we had been speaking to him for a few weeks about next season. Something has to have happened for Robbie to come out and say what he has.

Edited by StevenNaismith

AGoodLaugh

Should have been signed in January or not at all. All the best Shay, did perfectly fine in your short time here.