Shay Logan

lou

Hungry hippo

Pleased for Logan that he contributed well as he was on a hiding to nothing. 

I wouldn't have signed him but not that he's here will get my full backing. Actually starting to think that we might be a lot better off if we'd signed him in January.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Nookie Bear

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Johnny Sandiego
17 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Thanks both.

You have to laugh that we failed to sign Logan before the two games that we knew we would be without a right back and now have two fit right backs and no fit left backs.

Exactly, bizzare scatter gun approach to signings.

I thought Logan was decent enough though to be fair to the guy. Good pro whos looked after himself. Not sure if we need him next season.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I wouldn't have signed him but he's been exactly what we needed. Would be happy to give him a 12 month deal.

yep, a 12 month deal would be good I feel. We will need players like him first season back. If we have Souttar back injury free and Smith, with Kingsley back we should be sorted at the back.

goodness knows how GMS will fare but hoping he will step up, but that’s dependent on Robbie actually playing him utilising his strengths. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

6 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I wouldn't have signed him but he's been exactly what we needed. Would be happy to give him a 12 month deal.

I think it’s a little snap shot of the difference between Hearts and Aberdeen in recent years.  

We’d run down some Aberdeen players over the years and wonder what the fuss was but you can see in Logan an inbred solidity, a positive nature to his game and good at the basics.  

Maybe in part it’s because he’s at a new club and wants to impress but it’s clear he’s got a good attitude. 

A_A wehatethehibs

My main issue with it was why leave it until after we crashed out the cup with no full backs available for that tie? Came across as an afterthought. But still, good to get a look at him for a few games, a “trial” of sorts. I’ve seen enough quality there to see he’s well worth a 1 year deal

letsalllaughathobos

I would keep him for a year, having him and Smith helping the young lads would be a great learning experience, 

Cut The Crap

Sobering that an Aberdeen cast-off in the twilight of his career walks straight into and immediately improves our first team.

Good for him but a bit of an indication of the level we’re now at as a club.

14 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Sobering that an Aberdeen cast-off in the twilight of his career walks straight into and immediately improves our first team.

Good for him but a bit of an indication of the level we’re now at as a club.

That’s nonsense. Players are liked/not liked by managers and that can rule them out regardless of their ability. How the team is set up also impacts. Players need a change of scenery as like you and I they get bored/lose interest. 

If he's serious about still playing football and can set high standards then I suppose 12 months isn't going to be the end of the world. Always liked him at Aberdeen, but think we're about 5 years too late. 

Saint Jambo

It's amazing what a single win can do.

Presumably those now saying they'd sign him for the a year are an entirely different set of posters from those using the average age of our squad, the number of players over 30 and the lack of youth involvement as a stick to beat Neilson with.

He's had a couple of decent games. One against the worst team in the Championship and the other against a team that is in a horrendous run of form. I think it would be fair to say that we haven't seen his defensive abilities tested.

If we are going to overhaul the squad and not leave ourselves needing to sign a full team every year, adding a 33 year old to the team on a 1 year contract is not the right move.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

My main issue with it was why leave it until after we crashed out the cup with no full backs available for that tie? Came across as an afterthought. But still, good to get a look at him for a few games, a “trial” of sorts. I’ve seen enough quality there to see he’s well worth a 1 year deal

We should have beaten Brora with me at right back, Stevie Wonder at Left back and my Mrs in goals.

Edited by sandyk

Horatio Caine

I think a one year deal wouldn't be unreasonable.  As others have said, he has a good attitude and is a decent player, proven at Premiership level.  As with very young players, the adage is, if he's good enough, age doesn't matter.

Wasn't happy at him signing and tbh i still think we should give cammy logan the chance next season, he has been ok though, cheers to shay for getting us over the line i suppose.

Vast experience of playing in the SPFL.

Decent player. 

12 month deal to help us get established back in the top league. 

As much as I want to see the youth given a chance the next season has got to be about not making the same mistakes as before.

This guy looks like he wants to play for us and will give his all. We should take advantage of that.

Rogue Daddy
5 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Wasn't happy at him signing and tbh i still think we should give cammy logan the chance next season, he has been ok though, cheers to shay for getting us over the line i suppose.

I suppose it depends on how we plan to set up next season. If we're planning on sticking with 3 at the back (which I thought looked good.... and I hope he sticks with that for the last few games) it's worth giving him another year, with Cammy Logan and him both covering that position. If we're going back to a back 4, I don't see the point - but he's done well for us since he came in, he's looked solid.

Rogue Daddy
6 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Vast experience of playing in the SPFL.

Decent player. 

12 month deal to help us get established back in the top league. 

As much as I want to see the youth given a chance the next season has got to be about not making the same mistakes as before.

This guy looks like he wants to play for us and will give his all. We should take advantage of that.

...couple of good points there 👍

A_A wehatethehibs
27 minutes ago, sandyk said:

We should have beaten Brora with me at right back and my Mrs in goals.

Alternatively we should’ve just signed Logan

21 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

For the first year back we are def going to be needing an experienced guy available. Will help Soapy and Halkett to focus on forging a real partnership which would be good to see. 

It will be Jamie Brandon’s last year of his contract so would hope he gets another chance ahead of Cammy Logan, having been denied this season by injury. Brandon was very unlucky as when Smith was away and Kingsley out he would have got a few opportunities. But it could be that we make the decision to move the focus on to logan. Is he better than Brandon do you think? I’ve not watched much of Cammy yet besides the bounce game where he looked decent

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

55 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Presumably those now saying they'd sign him for the a year are an entirely different set of posters from those using the average age of our squad, the number of players over 30 and the lack of youth involvement as a stick to beat Neilson with.

He's had a couple of decent games. One against the worst team in the Championship and the other against a team that is in a horrendous run of form. I think it would be fair to say that we haven't seen his defensive abilities tested.

If we are going to overhaul the squad and not leave ourselves needing to sign a full team every year, adding a 33 year old to the team on a 1 year contract is not the right move.

This.

In the same way that beating Alloa 6-0 doesn't mean any sort of corner has been turned, nothing that happens between Brora and the end of the season makes the slightest difference to our need for either Neilson or Logan. We'd be better off long-term without either.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Unless Smith is leaving I would agree. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That would make a difference - twelve month contract if Smith is away would be sensible.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Whilst I agree in principle

he’s a good player with a good attitude- a complete rarity within our squad.

there is a very real prospect we will be fighting relegation next season with neilson in charge  so I’d keep him. We need solid experienced players to make up for the managers weakness.

Hopefully we survive and Neilson is gone by the end of next season and we can better look to the future

ford donald
9 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

He is a good solid pro,always been impressed watching him playing for Aberdeen,glad he is at Hearts.

13 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/what-shay-logan-said-about-extending-his-hearts-deal-as-he-waxes-lyrical-about-tynecastle-park-3197808

Was a bit sceptical and initially when we signed him but love the attitude from him and in this article 🙏

Hes a genuinely nice bloke mate 👌🏻👍🏻

49 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I wonder if Smith may be used at centre back a bit more

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Certainly in a back three he is useful. Plus he can play defensive mid. Might prolong his career here playing more centrally than running up and down the park in his auld age. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Possible as he looked good there previously. 

davemclaren

Gone from ‘indicative of everything that is rotten at our club’ to ‘decent solid signing for another season’ in three weeks. That’s football folks. 😄

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Certainly in a back three he is useful. Plus he can play defensive mid. Might prolong his career here playing more centrally than running up and down the park in his auld age. 

I think he's very capable of playing at CB in a four also.

Could be making this up but I seem to remember him doing well there against Celtic once for example.

4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think he's very capable of playing at CB in a four also.

Could be making this up but I seem to remember him doing well there against Celtic once for example.

He did and v Hibs but that was alongside Berra pre injury and seemed to work well. Imo needs a big stopper beside him if he's playing in a back 4.

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Gone from ‘indicative of everything that is rotten at our club’ to ‘decent solid signing for another season’ in three weeks. That’s football folks. 😄

If onlythe management had the foresight to have brought him in earlier. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

If onlythe management had the foresight to have brought him in earlier. 

Don’t think he was available earlier going by what was said at the time. 

Hungry hippo
25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He did and v Hibs but that was alongside Berra pre injury and seemed to work well. Imo needs a big stopper beside him if he's playing in a back 4.

I nearly wrote Hibs and then changed it to Celtic. Yeah, would ideally be beside a player that would win a lot of headers but I think he'd still be good in a back 4. Would be similar to Aaron Hughes when he was fit ie pre-Hearts.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I nearly wrote Hibs and then changed it to Celtic. Yeah, would ideally be beside a player that would win a lot of headers but I think he'd still be good in a back 4. Would be similar to Aaron Hughes when he was fit ie pre-war.

FTFY

45 minutes ago, sadj said:

Hes a genuinely nice bloke mate 👌🏻👍🏻

Definitely comes across that way. Good to hear 👍 

Saint Jambo
56 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Don’t think he was available earlier going by what was said at the time. 

Clear example of Neilson's astute eye for a signing. Great that he got in early by signing him on loan, putting us ahead of the competition to sign him in the summer.

If we don't sign him now, by August he will have reached Cafu-like ability in posters' minds. A bit like Ross Stewart being the guy that could have saved us from relegation last season, until he actually played and it turned out he is rubbish.

8 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Haha

Going by what we’ve witnessed in the past with Neilson, Cathro, Levein & Neilson again Logan will probably be offered a 4 year contract on £ 3,500 a week. Does anyone have any confidence in Ann and Neilson. Let’s hope Joe Savage & JJ have a big say on who goes and who stays. Better still Alex Neil decides with Joe Savage.

Just now, bistokid said:

He is 33. Probably a better right back than Smith who is 32 so its either or for me. Preferably neither. 

I'd sign Logan. I'd also sign O'Donnell and let them fight it out between them. O'Donnell can also play right-midfield anyway so it's not a problem. Smith then becomes central in a back three. Brandon's been here too long and needs a new challenge somewhere else. That would be my choice right-backs, Logan and O'Donnell. Once Smith and Logan move on, O'Donnell is number one with young Logan as back-up a couple of years down the line. Plenty time for his development yet.

May one-six
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

That's where I'd play him. Smith has lots of good qualities, but the ability to cross the ball isn't one of them. He's good at getting up and down the line, but when he has the ball in the wide area up front he struggles to create opportunities for our strikers. On the other hand, he's a good communicator and organiser, so playing centrally he'd help us be more defensively sound.