Morgan

I’m hoping someone on here can help with a few questions we have. Maybe a plumber, or someone who deals specifically with this?  Google has so far proved useless.

Briefly, does anyone know what can cause black mold on a bathroom ceiling and in the bath?  The bath has become almost completely black in colour. How long would this take to occur?

Is it caused by poor (or lack of) ventilation?  Could it be caused by excessive heat in the bathroom coupled with no fresh air?

This has happened in a property in Edinburgh in which this has never been a problem before.

Thanks in advance.

the roof could be damp insulation above the ceiling. and yes lack of ventilation is likely to be the cause of dampness

Someone's been keeping the coal in the bath tub.

Proper old school.

Edited by Janbo1874
Spelling.

It's a lack of adequate ventilation. 

Unless there are tide marks from the ceiling to walls, then it's a leaky pipe. 

Get an extractor fan installed and open window after use. 

Use solution of 1 part bleach, 3 part water or, a solution of 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water to kill the mould. Alternatively one could be bought from a hardware store. 

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

the roof could be damp insulation above the ceiling. and yes lack of ventilation is likely to be the cause of dampness

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's a lack of adequate ventilation. 

Unless there are tide marks from the ceiling to walls, then it's a leaky pipe. 

Get an extractor fan installed and open window after use. 

Use solution of 1 part bleach, 3 part water or, a solution of 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water to kill the mould. Alternatively one could be bought from a hardware store. 

Thanks, chaps.

Since you both seem to know something about this, I have one more question.

Our factors are claiming that because the window only opens about 4 inches high, this is insufficient ventilation. We think they (and the tenants) are talking shite.

The entire bathroom ceiling is black, how long would this have taken (roughly) to build up?

Thanks,

Morgan

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, chaps.

Our factors are claiming that because the window only opens about 4 inches high, this is insufficient ventilation. We think they (and the tenants) are talking shite.

The entire bathroom ceiling is black, how long would this have taken (roughly) to build up?

Thanks,

Morgan

Looks like the tenant has been consistently showering with door and window closed for a fair amount of time. Walls and ceiling would have been dripping with condensation after use. Almost guarantee they have been showering as said above then leaving the bathroom to get dried elsewhere  closing the door behind them trapping all the moisture. 

that might not be enough for ventilation as you need air flow. e.g. if you have a strong breeze going through the damp air will be displaced easier than in a room with a more static air flow. 

as someone else said get an extractor fan fitted and that will fix the problem

Dennis Reynolds
40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, chaps.

Thanks,

Morgan

Months.

I had a similar issue in a flat I rented years ago. There was no window in the bathroom and the door closed automatically so it was difficult to properly ventilate it. Generally would start of with sporadic spots but for it to be completely covered would take months. As others have said, bleach solution is best and a whole lot of scrubbing. It may come back though if it's deep enough. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, chaps.

Thanks,

Morgan

It would probably have taken at the very least weeks to get into that state, more likely months. 

Unfortunately, if you are the owner or landlord, you will have to fit the bill as clearly the bathroom is insufficiently ventilated if the window opens only 4 inches and there is no extraction. 

Greedy Jambo
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, chaps.

Thanks,

Morgan

Surely you could give them a couple more inches, Morgan. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Looks like the tenant has been consistently showering with door and window closed for a fair amount of time. Walls and ceiling would have been dripping with condensation after use. Almost guarantee they have been showering as said above then leaving the bathroom to get dried elsewhere  closing the door behind them trapping all the moisture. 

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

that might not be enough for ventilation as you need air flow. e.g. if you have a strong breeze going through the damp air will be displaced easier than in a room with a more static air flow. 

as someone else said get an extractor fan fitted and that will fix the problem

2 hours ago, LMc said:

Months.

I had a similar issue in a flat I rented years ago. There was no window in the bathroom and the door closed automatically so it was difficult to properly ventilate it. Generally would start of with sporadic spots but for it to be completely covered would take months. As others have said, bleach solution is best and a whole lot of scrubbing. It may come back though if it's deep enough. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Don’t take any chances. Get it cleaned and then repainted with anti mould paint. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

It would probably have taken at the very least weeks to get into that state, more likely months. 

Unfortunately, if you are the owner or landlord, you will have to fit the bill as clearly the bathroom is insufficiently ventilated if the window opens only 4 inches and there is no extraction. 

Thanks very much to you all.

Some useful information and tips there, ones which we will take to the Factors. 

We've found out more in the last three hours on here than we did in two days on Google!

Very much appreciated by my wife and I.

14 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Surely you could give them a couple more inches, Morgan. 

Always available, GJ 👍

Does one really need 6 inches on a cold and wet Edinburgh night though?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Always available, GJ 👍

Does one really need 6 inches on a cold and wet Edinburgh night though?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Probably, if they've just had a steaming hot shower and there's no extractor fan. 

Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Probably, if they've just had a steaming hot shower and there's no extractor fan. 

Just saying. 

Are you wet at the moment?  

Inadequate ventilation. 

If the window only opens 4 inches then this alone isn't enough. Even then, who wants to be showering with the window open in the height of winter? Not a realistic solution.

Sounds like an extractor fan is essential here, and the landlord should clearly foot the bill for this. 

Also agree with another poster about getting it cleaned and repainted with anti-mold paint (landlord should also cover costs for this).

N Lincs Jambo

Condensation spores Morgan caused by damp conditions and lack of ventilation. I saw a great article on how to deal a couple of years ago on a council website (Staffordshire iirc). Showed not just how to get rid but also to make sure problem didn’t recur.

Tommy Brown

Sorry to hijack your thread.

During the week the national news has been littered with mould stories in in High Rise flats in London and Birmingham.

Absolutely horrendous living conditions.

These tenants are blameless though.

I think your ones Morgan have not helped in your place. Should have been informing you at the first sight, not when it's at ridiculous levels.

Edit

Just remembered,  I had an arsehole tenant, who pet her tumble dryer  in the spare bedroom and never opened a window an closed the door when using it.

Was glad to get shot of that cow.

Edited by Tommy Brown

On 03/04/2021 at 00:47, Ritchez said:

Inadequate ventilation. 

If the window only opens 4 inches then this alone isn't enough. Even then, who wants to be showering with the window open in the height of winter? Not a realistic solution.

Sounds like an extractor fan is essential here, and the landlord should clearly foot the bill for this. 

Also agree with another poster about getting it cleaned and repainted with anti-mold paint (landlord should also cover costs for this).

On 03/04/2021 at 16:03, N Lincs Jambo said:

Condensation spores Morgan caused by damp conditions and lack of ventilation. I saw a great article on how to deal a couple of years ago on a council website (Staffordshire iirc). Showed not just how to get rid but also to make sure problem didn’t recur.

On 03/04/2021 at 19:48, Tommy Brown said:

Sorry to hijack your thread.

During the week the national news has been littered with mould stories in in High Rise flats in London and Birmingham.

Absolutely horrendous living conditions.

These tenants are blameless though.

I think your ones Morgan have not helped in your place. Should have been informing you at the first sight, not when it's at ridiculous levels.

Edit

Just remembered,  I had an arsehole tenant, who pet her tumble dryer  in the spare bedroom and never opened a window an closed the door when using it.

Was glad to get shot of that cow.

Thanks very much, gentlemen.  👍

We very much appreciate your input to this.

Mold is a ****ing nuisance, honestly. My flat gets it pretty badly as we don't have central heating. Bathroom doesn't have a window either so it was inevitable really. Got a new extractor fan in and it doesn't seem to be as bad, although still waiting for my letting agency to come back and treat the stuff that's already there.

I've not actually got any contact directly with my landlord. It's not you Morgan is it? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Mold is a ****ing nuisance, honestly. My flat gets it pretty badly as we don't have central heating. Bathroom doesn't have a window either so it was inevitable really. Got a new extractor fan in and it doesn't seem to be as bad, although still waiting for my letting agency to come back and treat the stuff that's already there.

I've not actually got any contact directly with my landlord. It's not you Morgan is it? :lol: 

If your place is in either Morningside, The Braids or the Canongate then yes, it could be me!  🤷🏿‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If your place is in either Morningside, The Braids or the Canongate then yes, it could be me!  🤷🏿‍♂️

Nah, the Lothian Riviera for me. Shame, was gonna ask you to put my rent down a bit. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Nah, the Lothian Riviera for me. Shame, was gonna ask you to put my rent down a bit. :lol: 

You would stay for nothing, Locks.

No rent, just beer.  🍺😄

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You would stay for nothing, Locks.

No rent, just beer.  🍺😄

Sounds ideal. :thumbsup: 

Just now, Locky said:

Sounds ideal. :thumbsup: 

I reckon we should discuss this in Bensons, over 6 or 10 Stella’s, and when this feckin virus goes away?  

how many gaffs do you have?

I reckon we should discuss this in Bensons, over 6 or 10 Stella’s, and when this feckin virus goes away?  

not stella, surely they have something better on tap

Harry Potter
On 03/04/2021 at 15:03, N Lincs Jambo said:

My 1st flat in Forrester park had dampness (black mould) in the corner of one bedroom.The flat had been vacant for about 9 months, probably due to no heating and lack of ventilation.

I steamcleaned the old wallpaper off whole bedroom then was left to dry out for 2 weeks.

New woodchip on, then painted , the problem never came back.

highlandjambo3

A point to note on ventilation.......air coming in is also important and not given as a fact just because you have an extractor.

So, if you have a window and an OLD extractor, you should keep the window open slightly because your OLD extractor is only sucking the air out of the room and fresh air is coming in through the window opening.

So, with no window and an OLD extractor fan, it’s not given that your system is functioning 100% as fresh air is not coming in (leave the door open).  The more modern extractors have a double vent thinggy (don’t know the tech name) but, moist air gets sucked OUT through the centre of the extractor with fresh air coming in through the outermost part of the vent.  Look at the outside vent of your gas boiler, where it pops out of the wall outside, you’ll get an idea of what I’m rambling on about.

Just thought I’d say.

highlandjambo3
21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

My 1st flat in Forrester park had dampness (black mould) in the corner of one bedroom.The flat had been vacant for about 9 months, probably due to no heating and lack of ventilation.

I steamcleaned the old wallpaper off whole bedroom then was left to dry out for 2 weeks.

New woodchip on, then painted , the problem never came back.

Woodchip 😂😂😂 hope this was back in the 70’s and not last year lol

MOULD is  caused by moisture. You have to first understand where that is coming from. If it is a leak, get that fixed. Most often it is caused by moisture laden air condensing on a cold surface. there are only 2 solutions that will prevent it. Either insulate the surface and stop it getting so cold, or reduce the amount of moisture in the air. Other than that you are dealing with the consequences.  You can increase the airflow around the effected area to dry it more quickly and stop mould forming via a window or extrator fan or heat source. You can get a dehumidifier, but what you really need to do is deal wit the cold surface if you want complete prevention.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Sounds like a plan. :D

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Woodchip 😂😂😂 hope this was back in the 70’s and not last year lol

84 😂, terrible stuff to take off as well lol.

14 hours ago, milky_26 said:

how many gaffs do you have?

Two, plus a half share of a third one, all in Edinburgh.

14 hours ago, milky_26 said:

not stella, surely they have something better on tap

The Stella is not for me, I happen to know that Locky likes Stella, that’s why I suggested it.

I done the whole rented flat circuit thing for a number of years. The only thing I found to stop mould coming back in a poorly ventilated bathroom was 1) leave the bathroom door open and 2) dry the bathroom surfaces with towels after use. 

Extractor fans are shit.