**Mafia - The Ankh-Morpork Chronicles

The Hogfather

31 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if wee jambo was being guided. 

Neither would I. But by his dad, fellow goons or fellow masons, i cant tell yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yvonnejambo

• Tenaciousdandy

• Riddley Walker

• The Hogfather

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Did Andy not say he was going to play differently this time? Yet to see any evidence of that but may have got him confused with someone else.

Goon lists at this point are utterly pointless. Just allows the goons to hide behind them this early in the game.

yvonnejambo
8 minutes ago, Boof said:

Though having said that (above) I'm also a bit wary of folk who, when I am completely unaligned, agree with me too readily :lol: 

I’m not aligned with anyone and you are on my goon list.

My reasoning for goon lists even early on are for 3 reasons. firstly it’s fun when not in a team and if you guess some right it is fun.

Secondly it does make the goons have to think whether to do one (or do a Shapes and put all her fellow goons on it 😆).

thirdly it gives a way to let info out to the town from masons. If all masons do one they can put folk on that haven’t been investigated and it helps further along when masons get killed.

In this game I’m in group 1 

42 minutes ago, Boof said:

Who is?

Nobody, as I don't have one.

I do have a trust list though:

Dunks

:D

1 minute ago, Dunks said:

Nobody, as I don't have one.

I do have a trust list though:

Dunks

:D

a trust list 🤣

Stuart McNeill

goon list 

2. Yvonne.

3. Vlad.

4. Sean.

5.AndyNic.

6. Boof.

7. Seats.

8. Bunny.

9. milky.

10. Riddly.

11. Rudi.

12. Peaky.

13. GOFS.

14. Prince.

15. Shapes.

16. Sheldon.

17. Ian.

18. Dandy.

19. Dunks.

20. Wee Jambo.

yvonnejambo

Suppose I should get in on the voting thing. So for no particular reason 

vote Sheldon 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

This will likely be my last post of the game day as leaving in 10 minutes and would be shocked if I was home before deadline.

Vote Yvonne

Not really much to go off to be honest. She voted for me so happy to go tit for tat as I would expect a lot to change between now and 8pm.

26 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

sorry guys, been busy feeding the swamp dragons

What are swamp dragons ?

28 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

goon list

everyone who hasn't read a Sir Terry Pratchett novel

Good enough for me.

Unvote Sean

Vote Seats

44 minutes ago, Stuart McNeill said:

he's living rent free in your head hahaha

Unvote Vlad

Vote Stuart

:seething:

Tenaciousdandy
7 minutes ago, Wee jambo said:

What are swamp dragons ?

Just googled it as I was curious as well, mythical creatures discworld pratchett novels

jambosean75
11 minutes ago, Wee jambo said:

What are swamp dragons ?

8 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Good enough for me.

Unvote Sean

Vote Seats

i don't know wether to vote for wee jambo for not having read any of the watch books or for dunks for his terrible parenting skills having not made his kid read them

Edited by jambosean75

3 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

i don't know wether to vote for wee jambo for not having read any of the watch books or for dunks for his terrible parenting skills having not made his kid read them

I have the collection for when he's he's ready :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Tenaciousdandy said:

Just googled it as I was curious as well, mythical creatures discworld pratchett novels

Ok thanks dandy 🙂

The Hogfather
10 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I have the collection for when he's he's ready :thumbsup:

I've them all on audiobook. I've listened to a good twenty of them or so since lockdown. Trying to decide which one's next.

The Hogfather

Vote count (God I hope this is right):

Boof 2.

Stuart 2.

Yvonne 2.

Ian 2.

Prince 1.

Vlad 1.

Shapes 1.

Riddley 1.

Dunks 1.

Peaky 1.

Dandy 1.

Andy 1.

Sheldon 1.

Seats 1.

2 hours ago, Seats said:

Neither would I. But by his dad, fellow goons or fellow masons, i cant tell yet.

If he is then there's nae danger he's not in the same team as his dad.

So if wee Dunks is a goon. Big Dunks is a goon. 100% Guaranteed©

7 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

If he is then there's nae danger he's not in the same team as his dad.

So if wee Dunks is a goon. Big Dunks is a goon. 100% Guaranteed©

Not sure its 100%, but certainly one to watch.

The Hogfather
11 minutes ago, Stuart McNeill said:

So where can we read these books? 

it may already be mentioned, but what are they about?

They're not going to be expensive to pick up, anything from between £5 and £10 for any of them. They're basically fantasy novels that poke fun at several aspects of modern day life. Soul Music is a poke in the eye for the music business, Moving Pictures satires the movie industry and Small Gods, one of the best ones he ever did, takes a swipe at religion. They're pretty silly but they contain one of the best recurring characters in British literature. Death.

There are some that are a series, The Watch series for example. The follow the same characters throughout and some are standalone novels that don't really fit into a larger narrative. If you're going to read one, go with Mort. It's widely regarded as his best one.

TL;DR: They're class.

Stuart McNeill
Just now, Nunya Business said:

They're not going to be expensive to pick up, anything from between £5 and £10 for any of them. They're basically fantasy novels that poke fun at several aspects of modern day life. Soul Music is a poke in the eye for the music business, Moving Pictures satires the movie industry and Small Gods, one of the best ones he ever did, takes a swipe at religion. They're pretty silly but they contain one of the best recurring characters in British literature. Death.

There are some that are a series, The Watch series for example. The follow the same characters throughout and some are standalone novels that don't really fit into a larger narrative. If you're going to read one, go with Mort. It's widely regarded as his best one.

TL;DR: They're class.

I''ll look to pick one up and give them a try. 

I see on wiki that the colour of magic is the first one, should I start with that or Small Gods for instance?

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Stuart McNeill said:

I see on wiki that the colour of magic is the first one, should I start with that or Small Gods for instance?

The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic are book one and two and they do a good job of explaining the Discworld. You don't really need to have a full understanding of the world they're set in to jump into any of them. TCOM is still one of the more popular ones because it features Rincewind (the doc in this game). I'd say take your pick from that, Small Gods, Mort or any of the ones that prominently feature Death. He tends to be the main character in most of the really popular ones.

jambosean75
11 minutes ago, Stuart McNeill said:

i particularly like the watch series and the witches series

most of the books can be read as standalone though you do get characters crossing over sometimes

i read them in order as it means you know who some of the cameo characters are as you've come across them before

Small Gods is an excellent book and throws up some thought provoking ideas on the nature of gods

it also highlights what can happen when the church becomes more than the god it represents

Edited by jambosean75

Peakybunnet

That's me back in. 

Seats thanks for thinking about my covid welfare but I was at my friend's house helping put up a garden shed. He only.lives a couple of miles away(stay local) but up the hills with no phone signal. 

Thanks for the vote as well. 

Vote Seats 

I read Strata before launching into the Discworld series many years ago - sets up the series well I think. I was also fortunate to have gotten into his books pretty much as they were coming out 

I'd probably describe them as a fantasy parody of reality. 

4 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I read Strata before launching into the Discworld series many years ago - sets up the series well I think. I was also fortunate to have gotten into his books pretty much as they were coming out 

I'd probably describe them as a fantasy parody of reality. 

Sounds like KB 

jambosean75

From the Witches and Rincewind to Death himself, Terry Pratchett’s Discworld characters have become truly iconic over the past thirty years. This handy guide will introduce you to key lead characters in the Discworld series, and tell you which books are about them.

Death

Death is, as you’d expect, a tall, hooded skeleton with a scythe, and SPEAKS IN A VOICE LIKE THE SLAMMING OF COFFIN LIDS. However, he also likes a good curry, and kittens, and finds the lives of mortals endlessly fascinating.

Sam Vimes & The City Watch

Sam Vimes is an old-fashioned copper. He, and the City Watch he commands, started in the gutter (one outside a pub), and Vimes takes care not to forget it, wearing extra thin boots so he can feel the streets of his city as he proceeds along them, cigar in hand, gimlet eyes peeled not just for crime, which being extremely cynical he suspects everyone of, but also injustice, which makes him very angry.

The Witches

Discworld’s witches, based around the rural and mostly vertical kingdom of Lancre, deliver babies, treat warts and keep an eye on troublesome kings, vampires or incursions from other worlds, which they do not hold with. They don’t have leaders, but Granny Weatherwax is the most highly regarded and steely of the leaders they don’t have, assisted by Nanny Ogg – mother of fifteen and brewer of lethally strong cider.

The Wizards

Rincewind is the Disc’s most useless wizard – he can’t even spell wizzard, and his most notable talent is running away, very fast. But somehow whenever anyone wants a wizard for a terrifying quest, it is Rincewind they call on. The other wizards of Unseen University aren’t much better, spending more time studying the common room biscuit tin than mystical tomes – but they occasionally stretch to some magic between elevenses.

Moist von Lipwig

Moist von Lipwig is a cheat and a swindler and a conman. So he’s the natural choice whenever an ailing institution like the Post Office or the Royal Bank needs new management. With a taste for flashy suits and even flashier publicity stunts, he takes on some of the worst jobs on the Disc and battles even bigger crooks than himself.

Tiffany Aching

Tiffany Aching is a young witch – as well as a social worker and cheese maker extraordinaire. She hails from a long line of shepherds and has a powerful connection with the Chalk where she lives. Wherever Tiffany goes, it’s almost certain that there will be a horde of tiny fightin’, boozin’ blue men in kilts – the Nac Mac Feegles – not far away.

jambosean75
Small Gods Paperback Book Cover by Terry Pratchett

Small Gods

In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was: 'Hey, you!'

Buy Now

Choose Format

Synopsis

‘Just because you can’t explain it, doesn’t mean it’s a miracle.’

On the Discworld, religion is a controversial business.

Everyone has their own opinion, and indeed their own gods, of every shape and size, and all elbowing for space at the top. In such a competitive environment, shape and size can be pretty crucial to make one’s presence felt.

So it’s certainly not helpful for the Great God Om to find himself in the body of a tortoise, a manifestation far below god-like status in anyone’s book.

In such instances, you need an acolyte, and fast. Brutha, the novice, is the Chosen One – or at least the only one available. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love. He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please…

The Discworld novels can be read in any order but Small Gods is a standalone novel.

jambosean75

before i head off to bed i'd better get a vote in

since he has admitted to the goonly behaviour of not reading Sir Terrys' works i shall

vote seats

jambosean75
14 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Sounds like KB 

KB is more surreal than the discworld at times :laugh2:

That's me officially on the steam train. Also very willing to board the lynch train...

Who's favourite to be lynched? Me? Dare ye. Boof? Shapes? King Dandy? Or the little rascal Wee Jambo. Now that would be some laugh.

Just a thought. Boof wanting goon lists to make it look like he's a goodie but is actually a goon hiding in plain sight?

5 minutes ago, Seats said:

Seriously? A pile on me again? Another day 1 exit. I'm beginning to feel like shapes here.

No exactly a pile on. You're tied on 2 with a couple others are you not?

Just now, AndyNic said:

No exactly a pile on. You're tied on 2 with a couple others are you not?

Not counted, but pretty sure i'm ahead 🙁