Edinburgh City moving back to Meadowbank Stadium

j1964m

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

500 seater and 4G

It's Meadowbank but not as we know it

I was speaking to a player a few months ago.

He was saying the team play better on grass. 

Changes happen. 

Edited by Mikey1874

CornhillHearts
44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

500 seater and 4G

It's Meadowbank but not as we know it

They’re actually awaiting planning permission to build a 1500 capacity stand on the opposite side of the stadium.

Plan is for this stand to be part seated/standing. Similar to Scarborough FCs new stand.

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/ourwork/scarborough-athletic-fc/

August Landmesser

I understand the economics behind a 4G pitch, especially at a council sports centre, but it's a real shame EC can't have a grass or hybrid surface. Is there not room to have a couple of plastic pitches out the back for intensive use, and keep EC's pitch as a proper one?

CornhillHearts
20 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I understand the economics behind a 4G pitch, especially at a council sports centre, but it's a real shame EC can't have a grass or hybrid surface. Is there not room to have a couple of plastic pitches out the back for intensive use, and keep EC's pitch as a proper one?

Think there's only room for 1  out the back, where the previous one was.

It is a pity but think maintenance costs would be prohibitive. 

They're certainly moving in the right direction.

August Landmesser
37 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

Think there's only room for 1  out the back, where the previous one was.

It is a pity but think maintenance costs would be prohibitive. 

They're certainly moving in the right direction.

They sure are, great to have them moving home, hopefully hosting League One games.

Good memories of the old stadium.

Played football there as a kid in the 1970's while our Mum's were at keep fit. A little later also badminton, table tennis and a few laps around the running track. 

Saw quite a few Thistle games in the 1979/80 season, too. Aged 11 at the start and went when Hearts were away.

Also went to a professional wrestling event one evening at that time. Dont recall who the wrestlers were but they weren't Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks. Very disappointing.

Funny thing is that even then, just 10 years after it was built, the stadium and facilities within had a rundown, neglected feel.

Hopefully the new facility will be as good as it looks from the outside.

Great thing for people of the area to have on their doorstep. Especially bairns.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

They sure are, great to have them moving home, hopefully hosting League One games.

Not sure what they can call home. They've had a few grounds in their history.

2 hours ago, gator said:

I just hope we don't get drawn against them in the Cup!

😄

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Good memories of the old stadium.

Played football there as a kid in the 1970's while our Mum's were at keep fit. A little later also badminton, table tennis and a few laps around the running track. 

Saw quite a few Thistle games in the 1979/80 season, too. Aged 11 at the start and went when Hearts were away.

Also went to a professional wrestling event one evening at that time. Dont recall who the wrestlers were but they weren't Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks. Very disappointing.

Funny thing is that even then, just 10 years after it was built, the stadium and facilities within had a rundown, neglected feel.

Hopefully the new facility will be as good as it looks from the outside.

Great thing for people of the area to have on their doorstep. Especially bairns.

Never watched them apart from EoS Shield games against us, they did have a cracking fanzine though, "Brake Club" I think.

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Never watched them apart from EoS Shield games against us, they did have a cracking fanzine though, "Brake Club" I think.

Not aware of the fanzine, bud.

In '79/80 I watched their games from outside in the 1st half then at half time they would let kids in free.

Only time I ever actually paid to watch them was a League Cup tie they played against Dundee in 1987/88 when I was 19.

Fifer girlfriend at the time had a Dundee supporting dad and we went with him.

Meadowbank 0 Dundee 3, iirc.

Hearts beat Clyde the night before, or after (don't recall now), and all three of us were at that too.

Amazing how memories come flooding back.