Parcel Forwarding

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Does anyone have any experience dealing with any of the parcel forwarding sites out there? Been looking at a few bits and pieces around the EU/USA that don't seem to (understandably) ship to the UK. I know there are services out there to create virtual postboxes to get around it, but I've never used one and there's that many I don't really know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depends what you are trying to do. What do you mean parcel forwarder? What size weight are you trying to deal with? You maybe want a freight forwarder who will also do customs brokerage.

The Hogfather

Nothing huge tbh, clothes mostly. I know there's a company in Ireland that allows for locals to have items shipped to an address that wouldn't ordinarily deliver to ROI. AddressPal it's called, but I can't find a British alternative.

My experience is with an item from a shop in Paris that wouldn't ship internationally. I had to find an address in France that they could ship to and then have a freight forwarder collect and deliver to my home in Edinburgh, including handling the customs declaration etc. The biggest challenge was finding an address to get them to ship to in France. Forwarders generally don't want it going to them, and they can't do the receipt and storage. I fortunately had a work colleague in France. So is your problem a local shipping address for the supplier? If you then need handling to give it to a parcel carrier or delivery firm, that's possibly a problem. You could talk to a freight forwarder or parcel handler and see if they can do something. Sorry!

The Hogfather

My issue is, for example, an item in Germany that doesn't ship to the UK. What I want is a middleman that I can have the item sent to and then onto me. 

Ah - so same issue I had. I would say your best bet is to get in touch with a local German forwarder and see if they will accept receipt of a delivery and then ship it to you. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

My issue is, for example, an item in Germany that doesn't ship to the UK. What I want is a middleman that I can have the item sent to and then onto me. 

Get yourself a pen pal 🤣

Another thing to bear in mind is the new post brexit customs regulations. It isn’t just commercially bought things that can be liable to tax but gifts as well. So if someone forwarded something to you that wasn’t the original seller you can still be liable to customs and VAT. 

The Hogfather
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Another thing to bear in mind is the new post brexit customs regulations. It isn’t just commercially bought things that can be liable to tax but gifts as well. So if someone forwarded something to you that wasn’t the original seller you can still be liable to customs and VAT. 

I'm not that fussed about paying VAT/customs charges, I'd expect to pay them either way. It's more to try and open up more possibilities for items I might find cheaper abroad.

Have had experience of them on the selling side.  Sold a couple of Rolexes on ebay as UK sale only and the 'buyer' often turned out to be a forwarding service to Japan.  Those were all cancelled.  No chance.  Took a punt on one for a £500 Aviakit leather jacket and there was no comeback.

9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Showing your age.

Mibbes 🤣. Reckon I'm at least ten years younger than you though 😘

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Mibbes 🤣. Reckon I'm at least ten years younger than you though 😘

You probably are.

😭