Player contracts

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Bit of a lazy question as I don't have the time to check for myself due to heading to work shortly.

By the looks of it Robbie isn't going anywhere soon and by the fact he's inherited quite a bit of average dross from the last couple of managers (albeit hasn't helped with some of his own signings) I think a large clear out is needed to have us prem ready.

We need the budget for a rebuild and although many don't think Robbie is the man to do it (in fact almost everyone) we do need a period of stability at the club and his hands have been tied a bit due to bad signings from the past, demotion and pandemic. So if he is staying then there is a lot of work to be done over the next few months.

How many of our current playing staff are out of contract at the end of the season?

Out of contract or loan ending I think. Doyle, Zlamal, Irving, Berra, Frear, Kasteneer, Ginelly, Wighton, Wight and now the new RB Logan.

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Out of contract or loan ending I think. Doyle, Zlamal, Irving, Berra, Frear, Kasteneer, Ginelly, Wighton, Wight and now the new RB Logan.

Looking at that list  it’s a damn good start. 

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Olly Lee as well

Saint Jambo
38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Cochrane as well. I think there was a story recently about us wanting to extend his contract but unless I missed it that hasn't happened.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
19 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Add Ross Stewart to the loan ending list - surely he's not getting a contract.

That would leave us:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Logan (assuming he gets a new deal)

Brandon

Halkett

Popescu - suspect he's been told he's finished here

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker 

Halliday

Haring - I have a feeling he might have to retire 

Damour - surely will get paid off

GMS

McEneff

Ginelley (again, assuming he signs)

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson

Naismith - Killie player / coach if they go down?

If those in bold leave we'd definitely need four or five quality players and I think we'd have a decent team.

Roberts will be back from his loan at Motherwell as well, although it seems that both parties are keen to make that permanent.

4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Cochrane as well. I think there was a story recently about us wanting to extend his contract but unless I missed it that hasn't happened.

Shame, expected big things from him.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Good shout, forgot about him. Maybe worth another shot in the team for him. 

It might not be the worst shout. With a new management team in, who knows what they could get out of him. Just didn't seem very interested here after looking good in the first few games.

36 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

That would leave us:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Brandon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker 

Halliday

GMS

McEneff

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson

If those in bold leave we'd definitely need four or five quality players and I think we'd have a decent team.

Naismith to Killie if they go down is a great shout. If they do, I can see Tommy Wright carrying on as manager though. The most frugal man in football would be in his glory stripping their squad back to the bones and rebuilding on 1/2 the budget. 

We really need to strip back to the bone. Even Walker I'd let leave.

Definitely keep Gordon and Boyce.

Even Smith... like him, but just getting fed up with a bad defence. Starting to doubt him a bit.

Would be happy enough to keep Smith and (ducks for cover) Kingsley, if we could bring in competition for there places.

My squad going into next year.

Gordon

Stone

Smith

Kingsley

Boyce

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

I'd keep McEneff, Gnanduillet and GMS too - I think they'd all thrive with better players around them, possibly Halliday too.

Gnanduillet just needs his team mates to involve him more. He's scored four in eight games (four starts, four as sub).

Get McEneff back to doing what he did for the first 45 minutes of his Hearts career and he could be really good. 

GMS has too much quality to be shite for much longer. 

Cant argue with that. There are players in there. My thoughts exactly

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

That would leave us:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Brandon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker 

Halliday

GMS

McEneff

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Logan 

Brandon punt

Halkett punt

Popescu punt

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker punt

Halliday punt

Haring punt

Damour punt

GMS

McEneff

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson punt

Naismith punt

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Halkett is fine enough for us next season next to a CB with a complementary skillset.

I would be hesitant to pay off Popescu's last year of his deal as he would probably be fine as a 4th choice centre half if we don't have any young CBs coming through ready to take that spot.

Jamie Walker is a decent enough option off the bench IMO so I'd keep him as well.

Halliday is average but decent as a backup as he can cover left back as well.

Jordan Roberts I'd imagine will leave the club. Another one who maybe could do a job with a new system but I'd put my money on him leaving permanently in the summer.

Naismith is one that would be difficult to get shot of as he's on big money for another 2 years. It's probably a season too early to get him to consider moving into a coaching role as well. I'd predict he will be at the club for another year before moving into a coaching role.

I'd hope we resign Andy Irving but who knows with that at this point. He's still got a ways to go but I think the right manager would get the best out of him.

Ginelly, it seems that there's been talks and I'm reasonably confident that at this point he's going to sign a deal.

We're trying to prevent a full-scale rebuild again so I'd be in favour of giving these players a chance next season under a new manager. But Damour, Haring, Brandon and Henderson are just not good enough/ or reliable enough.

Then you're looking at:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Logan

Halkett

Popescu

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker 

Halliday

Irving (If he signs)

GMS

McEneff

Ginelley (if he signs)

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Naismith 

In the summer we'd probably need:

CB

Defensive ball winning midfielder

2x Wingers

So 4 quality signings, hopefully our reduced budget for next season can stretch to that. There would probably need to be a couple more signings to add depth, probably another forward and a backup goalie so Stone can go out on loan again. Maybe a LB for cover for Kingsley. Ideally you would want some of the kids to be able to step in when needed. But underlining all of this is the need for a new manager, as I really think we will struggle next season with Neilson in charge.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Logan 

Brandon punt

Halkett punt

Popescu punt

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker punt

Halliday punt

Haring punt

Damour punt

GMS

McEneff

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson punt

Naismith punt

Agree here although I think Halkett, Naismith, Halliday and  walker could have thier moments and be part of a 22-25 man squad. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 hours ago, Phage said:

We really need to strip back to the bone. Even Walker I'd let leave.

Definitely keep Gordon and Boyce.

Even Smith... like him, but just getting fed up with a bad defence. Starting to doubt him a bit.

Would be happy enough to keep Smith and (ducks for cover) Kingsley, if we could bring in competition for there places.

My squad going into next year.

Gordon

Stone

Smith

Kingsley

Boyce

Playing 5 a sides?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, BigPaul365 said:

Naismith to Killie if they go down is a great shout. If they do, I can see Tommy Wright carrying on as manager though. The most frugal man in football would be in his glory stripping their squad back to the bones and rebuilding on 1/2 the budget. 

If he’s that frugal would he want Naismith? 
He left St Johnstone because they pushed the boat out for him which didn’t work so they were making cutbacks, not frugal by choice. 

Mcnenuff and gms will come good next season. Henderson needs to step up. 

Honestly believe he will come good for us. I recon a loan to Edinburgh City next season for a season long game time will do him wonders. He is still young 

Pasquale for King

A new manager would keep Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Boyce, Gnanduillet , GMS, Irving, Ginnelly, McEneff, in an ideal world. 
In the real world we are stuck with this manager and his mentors dross and his own for at least another year. 
Getting players out the club who have good contracts in this period of time,with no money to pay them off, is extremely unlikely unfortunately. 
If he was prepared to rent on youth more this would help but we must have the oldest squad in Scottish football just now. 

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

Bit of a lazy question as I don't have the time to check for myself due to heading to work shortly.

By the looks of it Robbie isn't going anywhere soon and by the fact he's inherited quite a bit of average dross from the last couple of managers (albeit hasn't helped with some of his own signings) I think a large clear out is needed to have us prem ready.

We need the budget for a rebuild and although many don't think Robbie is the man to do it (in fact almost everyone) we do need a period of stability at the club and his hands have been tied a bit due to bad signings from the past, demotion and pandemic. So if he is staying then there is a lot of work to be done over the next few months.

How many of our current playing staff are out of contract at the end of the season?

Good post ... but just to correct you on the bit in bold.   All the average dross Robbie inherited was the result of ONE manager.     Stendel's only signing who's still here is Boyce - who isn't average dross.  :smile:

I'd bust the bank for two centre halfs for next season. Goalkeeper is sound. Full backs are sound.

The rest I really don't think you can judge until the team stops giving away free goals, it's been our problem for 3 seasons now and it needs rectified. 

RustyRightPeg
25 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Mcnenuff and gms will come good next season. Henderson needs to step up. 

Honestly believe he will come good for us. I recon a loan to Edinburgh City next season for a season long game time will do him wonders. He is still young 

Im hesitant to write off anyone from our academy but I’m inclined to say Henderson isn’t one that’ll be here long term. He’s very lightweight and I’m not actually sure what his position is. 

I’d be more inclined to hang my hat on Cammy Logan, Scott McGill, Calum Flatman and Aidan Denholm coming through. Heard rave reviews about the 4 of them. 

McGill impressed me a lot against Raith in Betfred at Tynecastle. 

4 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

That would leave us:

Gordon

Stone

Smith 

Brandon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Walker 

Halliday

GMS

McEneff

Gnanduillet

Boyce

Henderson

I think from that, we need to look to move on Halkett, Brandon, Halliday, Popescu, Damour, Henderson & Naismith

Halliday & Naismith is maybe harsh, but we've needed leadership this season and I don't think either have brought enough to the table in that regard. Naismiths body seems to be in decline and Halliday just hasn't offered enough for me. Henderson just doesn't fit the style of play I think we're aiming for. He's a CF but is being forced into playing on the wing and I don't think we're getting the best out of him. 

There is yet again another gigantic rebuild in the summer and we really should be asking ourselves if we trust Neilson to do it. Personally, I don't. I think we have about 5 or 6 senior players worth keeping, so we're effectively looking for our head coach to rebuild this almost from scratch. We need to see youngsters in that rebuild, the lack of hunger and movement has been dire this season and I think more kids would solve that. 

It should be viewed as an opportunity to inject criteria into who we sign. If Neilson immediately looks to jump into the foreign transfer market then that should be the clearest indication he needs to go. We need more leaders into the team, we need more youth and more players we can develop.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree here although I think Halkett, Naismith, Halliday and  walker could have thier moments and be part of a 22-25 man squad. 

Halkett - not good enough 

Halliday - probably a reasonable squad player

Naisy - probably stays as we can't afford to punt him.

Walker - move on if possible. He's had many chances to prove his worth and hasn't taken them when given a start. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Halkett - not good enough 

Halliday - probably a reasonable squad player

Naisy - probably stays as we can't afford to punt him.

Walker - move on if possible. He's had many chances to prove his worth and hasn't taken them when given a start. 

Generally agree, but we'll need a reasonable 22-25 man squad and think these guys can be part of it.

Until we have 18-19 year olds in the Irving mould x  5 ish that actually also sign and stay we'll need to boost the numbers with these sorts and I'm not sure we'll get better to replace them in terms of assembling a squad outside the better/ core first choice 7/8 that I hope we have in place.

Atm

Gordon

Smith

Boyce

Halliday

GMS

imo are the only ones proven to be of a decent standard in the top flight, 2 not with us yet tho.

On top of that you'd hope Kingsley, McEneff, Gnando, Gino and Souttar on his recovery add to that list.

That's 9 players, we'll want at least 12-15 all capable of stepping up and being " 1st choice" with imo another 7-10 being able to fill in at various points so we have a squad of at least 22-25, bearing in min we need 18 for Match day.

So assuming, in essence 2 starting 11

Gordon                                                        Stone

Kingsley                                                      Halliday

cb                                                                 Halkett

Soutar                                                          Pop? cb?

Smith                                                            Logan/Logan/ Brandon?  

GMS                                                              winger

mid                                                                mid/ Irving/ Cochrane/ McEneff?

McEneff / mid?                                             Halliday

Gino                                                               winger                                                      

Boyce/ Gnando- rotation                             Naismith/ striker

Minimum for me

2 cb

2 midfielders

1 winger

1 striker

Trying to be realistic ( cough, cough) I'd like the first 4 to be better than what we have, I don't think well get better than Boyce and  tbh and Gnando is something different.

Ideally team 2 becomes more youthful over time and we have 15-18 good players with the rest filled out with promising youngsters, but they need to be good enough and want to stay for that to happen- We are not there yet.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤔

Edited by Bongo 1874

I would keep Gordon, Boyce, Smith, Kingsley, Souttar, Stone. Then possibly guys like Halliday, Halkett, Walker, McEneff, GMS for cover.

I’d sign 5 or 6 quality SPL players and give some youth a chance.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would keep Gordon, Boyce, Smith, Kingsley, Souttar, Stone. Then possibly guys like Halliday, Halkett, Walker, McEneff, GMS for cover.

I’d sign 5 or 6 quality SPL players and give some youth a chance.

Do you have any names in mind?

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Do you have any names in mind?

Well I know guys like Declan Gallagher and Allan Campbell are out of contract. Just think it’s a market we’ve missed out on a lot recently.

Sure Joe Savage will have contacts in England and Ireland too.