Pro Cycling 2021

Cade

2 more UEA team cyclists test positive for Covid.

Is Pogacar going to lose the TdF because of a team-mate Covid outbreak??

:wow:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Outrageous end to the stage. How the hell did Magnus Cort win that stage?? He seemed to be constantly dropped and out of it and then appeared out of nowhere. 

45 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Outrageous end to the stage. How the hell did Magnus Cort win that stage?? He seemed to be constantly dropped and out of it and then appeared out of nowhere. 

Perfect timing and sheer will.

11 minutes ago, SecN said:

Magnus Cort’s performance so far this TdF is reminiscent of Chris Horner at the Vuelta in 2013. 

Is that an accusation of something? A lot of people are still suspicious of Horner. EF are the one team on the world tour I 100% trust. 

Didn’t mean any suspicion that both Cort and Horner  were fuelling using anything more than water and bananas.

Sanchez today was also outstanding.  

I was simply relying to old guys doing good. 😊

Wow. Just wow. 

You can only get so far as a one man band as Pog is finding out. The strength in depth of Jumbo and Ineos is really showing. 

On 07/07/2022 at 15:55, stu said:

And there's the winner right there. He's not letting go of the yellow jersey now.

Absolute animal of a man.

I would like to retract my last statement....

Tour has now been blown apart.

Pidcock wins on Alpe d'Huez.

Froome right up there in the mix.

Pogacar shows he's nowhere near done.

Crowd behaved themselves.

MKuEcRZ.gif

:wow: Jumbo Visma have about 3 big crashes in the space of 20 minutes. Roglic didn't even start today. Yellow jersey on the floor as well. Absolute carnage.

All going tits up for Jumbo Visma today. Roglic withdrawn at the start of the day and now two crashes, on including the yellow jersey, in the last ten minutes. From 8 riders at the end of yesterday to 6 at most tomorrow. 

Edited by Tazio

It’s chaos on the road but I think it will all pull back together in the last few km. if Vingegaard wins this tour he owes Van Aert free beers for life. 

UAE down to 3 riders +Pogacar

If Pog wants to win this, he's going to have to do it himself.

Didi Senft spotted by the side of the road on stage 17:yas:

Also some strange behaviour online as incels attack Orla Chennaoui for wearing nice clothes. :vrface:

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Also some strange behaviour online as incels attack Orla Chennaoui for wearing nice clothes. :vrface:

It's been going on for weeks now, pathetic middle aged men unhappy that an attractive woman who actually knows what she's talking about presents the show. One of the other female commentators (who is Dutch) got abused on twitter for using the foreign pronunciations of place names and riders. Gammony arseholes. 

GC all comes down to this monster stage tomorrow.*

See if Pog can finally drop Vingegaard on one of these climbs.

UEA did a great job today considering they're only half a team.

*OR maybe the GC will be settled on the final time trial on Saturday??

e077c

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

using the foreign pronunciations of place names and riders. 

That’s a topic that has divided the telly spectators, particularly viewers of Eurosport.

Apparently the etiquette for broadcasting is for pronunciation to be native to the country it’s being broadcast in.  

Sean Kelly is obviously omitted from any pronunciation criticism at all though. 😆 

Edited by SecN

I don't see the issue with pronunciation.

The "foreign" pronunciation is always the correct way to say it.

Because it's in that nation.

That's what it's called.

That's how the locals pronounce it.

I am sure Limmy done a sketch about that. ‘Kabul’ comes to mind. 😀

Todays stage was good to watch. I am hoping for even more excitement tomorrow.  Worth taking the day off for. 😉

Pog pops again.

That's that.

Jumbo-Visma just had a much better team than UAE did, even before UAE were hit with covid and injury.

Edited by Cade

Quite impressed with Vindegaard sitting up when Pogacar fell

I know commentators were saying made sense because of decent but still

This is the ultimate proof of the old adage that grand tour cycling is like chess. And Jumbo-Visma have played this year to perfection. 

Bit of a monster of a time trial this.

45 mins plus of maximum effort.

Ganna smashes the fastest time to lead by some distance.

Bissegger has yet another problem in a time trial, this time a mechanical. They boy is cursed this year.

For you guys who are more knowledgeable than I...has this been a pretty shit-hot Tour this year?

What I've seen of it, I've loved!

6 minutes ago, Boof said:

For you guys who are more knowledgeable than I...has this been a pretty shit-hot Tour this year?

What I've seen of it, I've loved!

Yes

Quality with great individual stages and a fascinating GC. 

Just missing Cavendish breaking the stage win record but that can be next year. 

It's been an amazing edition of the Tour.

Attacks every day, plenty of drama, crashes, covid, injuries, strange tactics and great sportsmanship.

Great to see Froome up at the sharp end on a few stages, shame he got covid and had to leave.

Geraint managed to mostly stay on his bike, ending 3rd to two superstars in the shape of Pogacar and Vingegaard.

Wout Van Aert was on another level throughout the tour.

Fabio Jakobsen who nearly died in a horrific crash on the tour of Poland in 2020 winning a stage.

The day after that, Dylan Groenewegen, blamed for Jakobsen's crash and banned for 9 months, won that day's stage.

British stage winner in the form of Tom Pidcock.

We even had a French stage winner.

So many stories this year.

Women's Tour starts tomorrow too.

Been a long time coming.

It's long overdue.

Toxteth O'Grady
On 21/07/2022 at 21:07, Jamhammer said:

Quite impressed with Vindegaard sitting up when Pogacar fell

I know commentators were saying made sense because of decent but still

While it was gentlemanly and probably  sensible it was a big show of his confidence too.

4 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

While it was gentlemanly and probably  sensible it was a big show of his confidence too.

Wasn't it a bit more pragmatic in that going hell for leather - when all he needed to do was keep Pogacar in sight - would have been the riskier approach?

It’s been an excellent tour to watch. Though many years of watching cycling means I always get a little worried when it’s so good that it isn’t all kosher. However cycling, despite the constant accusations, is nowhere near as bad as it was yet it’s hard to lose that reputation. There are a hell of a lot more bans in athletics than there are in cycling yet peoples first assumption isn’t “dirty” when a record is broken. 
WVA gets my spidey sense tingling though this year. 

Slightly cheerier post good to see the women but a rotten choice of first stage. Too many riders to pick a winner but I’d love Annameik Van Vleuten to win it as a last victory before she retires at the end of the season as I tip her for every race 😀

Kind of made sense to open the Tour Femmes in Paris today.  

All the crowds and all the media are there already and all the road closures in Paris today for the end of the Men's Tour are already in place.

Having the two events in the same place on the same day also shows that it's not just a side-show event but a real part of the Tour and part of cycling a a whole.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Kind of made sense to open the Tour Femmes in Paris today.  

All the crowds and all the media are there already and all the road closures in Paris today for the end of the Men's Tour are already in place.

Having the two events in the same place on the same day also shows that it's not just a side-show event but a real part of the Tour and part of cycling a a whole.

It’s just that it’s such a boring loop without the craziness of the sprint at the end of the TdF to look forward to. The men just go for it as it’s the end of the race with nothing to lose, the women will be more careful with it being the 1st stage. 

They've even thrown in a cat 4 "mountain" point on the Champs Elysees during one of the laps just so they can have a polka dot jersey presentation for the women :vrface:

Tokenism like that doesn't help.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

They've even thrown in a cat 4 "mountain" point on the Champs Elysees during one of the laps just so they can have a polka dot jersey presentation for the women :vrface:

Tokenism like that doesn't help.

They had to do it or it would have meant no leader in one of the categories and the sponsors of that jersey wouldn’t have been happy. Like it or not sponsors are a massive part of the funding. 

Toxteth O'Grady
3 hours ago, Boof said:

Wasn't it a bit more pragmatic in that going hell for leather - when all he needed to do was keep Pogacar in sight - would have been the riskier approach?

Aye you are probably right. He must have been confident he could match any moves Pogacar made after that though.