Pro Cycling 2021

Cade

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

63 according to the graphic on the highlights.

Not a bad effort on your part

Screenshot_20210911-205752_Gallery.jpg

If they'd been properly head down arse up full effort like we were I'm sure they would have smashed that, and of course they'd already done 109km before that, we'd only done about 20km. Scary the power over a long haul these guys have. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also it was great when the riders headed back down the finish straight to their buses seeing Cav taking it slowly and high fiving the crowd with a huge grin on his face as rest of the big riders just headed down chatting to their teammates. 

Well that was a highly enjoyable wee Tour.

Great tension all the way along, the GC being decided by the bonus seconds in a mass sprint on the final stage.

Good stuff.

Ganna not surprisingly takes the rainbow stripes in the time trial. Pretty cruel course at over 40km so maximum effort for almost 50 minutes. It’s hard to get your head around that type of effort. 

It’s the big one for me this weekend. Paris-Roubaix at last after it missing the last 2 planned dates. And this year on the Saturday the women go for the first time. I think it’s going to come as a shock to some of them as Roubaix isn’t like anything else in the cycling world in terms of physicality and suffering. 
For non cycling fans there are section that are cobbles much worse than anything you’ll see in a city for up to 4km in a row. And sections like Arenberg which they hit at over 60kph to try and “float” over the cobbles. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's going to be pissing it down as well, apparently. 

First one like that for a while. The idea of those roads in the rain terrifies me. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Hoping for a good show from my man Sagan, but i think Van der Poel will piss it. 

VdP has the perfect profile as a rider for it but all depends how his back holds out. And of course if it’s wet there will be crashes. Also as the race is so flat any mechanicals mean getting back on the bunch is very hard. 

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Roubaix is a terrifying war of attrition in the Spring.

Shite knows what it's going to be like in the Autumn.

:scenes:

Potentially horrendous for quite a few. 

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Absolutely pishing down.

This is going to be utter, utter carnage.

:jjyay:

Just watching the coverage now that I recorded this afternoon. It’s hellish trying to control the bikes for all the riders. I checked Twitter and Annemiek Van Vleuten tweeting that her crash has resulted in a double fracture of her pubic bone. Ouch! My favourite female rider but at least she’ll have a few months to recover. 

That's the great thing about women getting these races.

Deignan now has this win on her CV and improves her reputation despite a decent enough career already. 

Incredible photo on the BBC website of Lizzie Deignan’s handlebars after the race with blood smeared on them from her hands bleeding during the race. 

9 hours ago, Cade said:

_120794470_lizziedeignan'sbikehandlebars

Cannae wait for tomorrow now.

Looks like from the highlights she had no gloves on or even taped fingers. both would of helped. Must have been extremely sore riding with bleeding hands though. Chapeau! 

3 hours ago, conn artist said:

Looks like from the highlights she had no gloves on or even taped fingers. both would of helped. Must have been extremely sore riding with bleeding hands though. Chapeau! 

Lesson learned, hopefully!

Eurosport showing the entire race from the rolling start right to the end.

It's absolutely skooshing down. Could get messy.

uMkLIuh.gif

4 hours ago, conn artist said:

45 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lesson learned, hopefully!

Lots of riders ride without gloves at Roubaix. Magnus Backsted explained it very well yesterday all the different options riders use. One of his main points is that it makes no difference as your hands get torn up even with gloves. 

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just watching the coverage now that I recorded this afternoon. It’s hellish trying to control the bikes for all the riders. I checked Twitter and Annemiek Van Vleuten tweeting that her crash has resulted in a double fracture of her pubic bone. Ouch! My favourite female rider but at least she’ll have a few months to recover. 

Damn, turns out Annemiek has actually broken her pelvis in two places, and her shoulder. 

Everyone stays upright on the first cobbled sector but so far looking like the race will hinge on punctures or mechanicals. The roads are treacherous even on the tarmac with a few crashes before they even reached the cobbles. 

This is turning into a war of attrition. Sagan wiped out on the tarmac in a multi rider crash, Küng has been down 3 times already, Lampaert just went down as well. And it will only get worse as the riders get tired, and 130 km still to go so it could be small amount of finishers this year. 

I just keep thinking about the thinking of a lot of the experts that VdP can be a bit daft in terms of tactics and depend on his physical attributes and Van Aert is a smart rider. 

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Tactics on Roubaix are: 

Don't crash on the cobbles.

Go fast on the flat bits.

Though VdP is using the other tactic of be brave and make time on the cobbles and hold steady on the tarmac. It works well if you have the nerve for it.