How Much Time Would the Fans Give a New Manager?

SomethingAboutObua

SomethingAboutObua

Hypothetical seeing as it looks like there will be no change in management.

But if we did get someone like Alex Neil, McInnes or anyone new in in summer, and they had a full transfer window, how much time would we give them to get it right? Would fans accept us sitting 6th in January next year if the football was better and there was a clear youth promotion and decent transfer policy, or does even the next manager have to be 3rd immediately regardless of how he gets there? 

I'd be happy if we were 6th next year under someone that was making clear and positive changes, a clear sign we would be continually challenging for 3rd the following year onwards, and providing enjoyable football, but I know that's not everyones preference. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

But if we did get someone like Alex Neil, McInnes or anyone new in in summer, and they had a full transfer window, how much time would we give them to get it right? Would fans accept us sitting 6th in January next year if the football was better and there was a clear youth promotion and decent transfer policy, or does even the next manager have to be 3rd immediately regardless of how he gets there? 

I'd be happy if we were 6th next year under someone that was making clear and positive changes, a clear sign we would be continually challenging for 3rd the following year onwards, and providing enjoyable football, but I know that's not everyones preference. 

I’d be more than happy with someone who looked like they knew what they were doing. I don’t expect us to compete for trophies every season. I do expect us to be top six every season. More than anything, I like to see a team growing and developing and a plan in place.

What I can’t accept is Budge pretending that Rome isn’t burning when Levein set it on fire, then trying to hand the reins to a fraud like McPhee, then going for a dud like Neilson who looks as if he needs told which end we’re supposed to shoot at.

Structure and promise. Not much to ask for.

been here before

About a week.

Some on here a bit less if its not Stendel.

Edited by been here before

To go from where we are to challenge top 4 it will probably take 3 transfer windows. As long as there is obvious improvements after each window I’d give him the 4th window then see where we are at when that season ends.

Edited by DH1986

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

To go from where we are to challenge top 4 it will probably take 3 transfers windows. As long as there is obvious improvements after each window I’d give him the 4th window then see where we are at when that season ends.

Three out of the first four posts thought through and constructive....

been here before
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Three out of the first four posts thought through and constructive....

3/5.

Depends who made the decision to hire him.  If it's budge then I will want him sacked as he is guaranteed to be a bad choice.

been here before
Just now, Shanks said:

Depends who made the decision to hire him.  If it's budge then I will want him sacked as he is guaranteed to be a bad choice.

And theres the rub.

We could appoint a hybrid of Pep, Klopp with a wee bit of Shankly and perhaps some Busby thrown in and if Budge is still there theyd never get a chance in some quarters.

Others would just be unpopular and wouldnt survive their first bad perfomance.

And others just wouldnt be Stendel.

5th post on the thread seemed too agenda driven to work that out. No surprises though.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

3/5.

Agreed - yours and mine were infantile shit! 👍

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

And theres the rub.

We could appoint a hybrid of Pep, Klopp with a wee bit of Shankly and perhaps some Busby thrown in and if Budge is still there theyd never get a chance in some quarters.

5th post on the thread seemed too agenda driven to work that out. No surprises though.

Mine was agenda driven - not that you’ve made agenda driven posts before! 😉

been here before

Agreed - yours and mine were infantile shit! 👍

Yours certainly was.

I ended up having to explain mine for your benefit as it seemed to, surprisngly, pass you by.

Not to worry though.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

If we bring in a new manager who brings in mostly younger players (<25), a new style of play and is looking to utilise the academy players as a big part of the first team squad, the likelihood is that we won't be world beaters, especially building from where we are now. While this is the strategy that I and I'm sure quite a few others on this board are wanting the club to employ, I think that has to come with tempering the expectations somewhat in the short term as we look to build the foundations of a good team.

However, if we continue with our policy of signing over-the-hill old yins on long contracts that we can't shift, hamstringing us for years down the line, and playing reductive football, as is the Budge-era MO, then unless we finish in the European places its not good enough for me.

31 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

But if we did get someone like Alex Neil, McInnes or anyone new in in summer, and they had a full transfer window, how much time would we give them to get it right? Would fans accept us sitting 6th in January next year if the football was better awe gave Lockie a wholend there was a clear youth promotion and decent transfer policy, or does even the next manager have to be 3rd immediately regardless of how he gets there? 

We gave Lockie a whole season because him and the team were trying their best.....

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Yours certainly was.

I ended up having to explain mine for your benefit as it seemed to, surprisngly, pass you by.

Not to worry though.

Ah nice bit of editing to cover your tracks - that didn’t pass me by! 😂

33 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Two games or  five minutes whichever is shorter. 

13 minutes ago, Shanks said:

And that’s why people in positions of authority ignore what’s posted on here. 

I'd give all the time in the world to any guy with something to offer (other than simply a connection to HMFC) : someone with enthusiasm, a vision, who can energise the club & the support.  Someone who doesn't - in the middle of a Scottish winter -  blame the weather /pitches. 

Basically, someone whom I'm never going to see at Tyencastle , on current trends. 

For me it 100% would come down to what they were trying. I'd have given Daniel Stendel plenty time cis I wanted his methods for Hearts.

I don't want to give Neilson (and prob wouldn't McInnes) as their methods are only just passable along with success.

4 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

If we bring in a new manager who brings in mostly younger players (<25), a new style of play and is looking to utilise the academy players as a big part of the first team squad, the likelihood is that we won't be world beaters, especially building from where we are now. While this is the strategy that I and I'm sure quite a few others on this board are wanting the club to employ, I think that has to come with tempering the expectations somewhat in the short term as we look to build the foundations of a good team.

However, if we continue with our policy of signing over-the-hill old yins on long contracts that we can't shift, hamstringing us for years down the line, and playing reductive football, as is the Budge-era MO, then unless we finish in the European places its not good enough for me.

It’s all about getting a really good team on the park then if there’s kids coming through the academy who can improve on it let them play. If not, say thanks and good luck. Only a very limited number of Scottish kids coming through the ranks these days and we know where the best ones will be playing. Over the years we have proved that trying to bring in foreign kids isn’t worth it. 

been here before

Ah nice bit of editing to cover your tracks - that didn’t pass me by! 😂

Other than my first post nothing else Ive posted here been edited so god knows what didnt pass you by.

What a slaver.

Anything about the OP or subject at hand you actually fancy contributing to?

And theres the rub.

If you think I have an agenda against budge then you are 100% correct :lol:

She is ****ing SHITE at her job, do you genuinely trust her to get a decision correct at the club?  We need her away ASAP and then we can finally start to move forward.  Get someone in that can control the club and not spunk millions of fan money down the drain on bad decision after bad decision.

How a hearts side with our huge budget and a turnover of 100+ players/staff can be lead to the championship is breath taking, its almost impossible levels of incompetence.

So no I wouldn't back budge to hire a manager.  I would want her and neilson gone from the club and then a new manager hired.

David McCaig

It would be much easier to be patient if a new Manager was brought in now, with the end of this season plus pre-season to bed themselves into the club and implement their own individual culture.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of Daniel Stendel, but if ever there was a time to bring in someone of a similar ilk, it would be now.

Other than my first post nothing else Ive posted here been edited so god knows what didnt pass you by.

What a slaver.

Anything about the OP or subject at hand you actually fancy contributing to?

My first comment was referring to your first post - which you did subsequently edit.

Sorry for being a “slaver” - almost as bad as acting like a “woman scorned”! 😉

been here before
1 minute ago, Shanks said:

If you think I have an agenda against budge then you are 100% correct :lol:

That wasnt directed at you specifically but more making the point that amongst a growing section of the support it would make no odds who rocked up next.

A Budge appointment would be seen as the wrong appointment given her track record thus far no matter who it was given the current feeling toward her.

C'est la vie.

been here before
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

My first comment was referring to your first post - which you did subsequently edit.

So what tracks did I cover by pressing the post button too soon and going back to add the bit about Stendel?

What shocking thing 'didnt pass you by'

:rofl:

Honest to ****, what are you bringing to this conversation?

queensferryjambo

None!

New guy out!

Joking aside, if a new manager brought in players that had a connection with the fans and pledged and demonstrated a style of football that was entertaining then he would get a lot of time from the fans IMO. 

So what tracks did I cover by pressing the post button too soon and going back to add the bit about Stendel?

What shocking thing 'didnt pass you by'

:rofl:

Honest to ****, what are you bringing to this conversation?

About the same as you brought to our last conversation......

13 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

It would be much easier to be patient if a new Manager was brought in now, with the end of this season plus pre-season to bed themselves into the club and implement their own individual culture.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of Daniel Stendel, but if ever there was a time to bring in someone of a similar ilk, it would be now.

Do you mean so that they could get us relegated again next year with Bobby or Joel in goals ? 

Italian Lambretta

As long as the new manager has no links to Levein or picked by Budge they should get our support unless they are a total disaster.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s all about getting a really good team on the park then if there’s kids coming through the academy who can improve on it let them play. If not, say thanks and good luck. Only a very limited number of Scottish kids coming through the ranks these days and we know where the best ones will be playing. Over the years we have proved that trying to bring in foreign kids isn’t worth it. 

Agree but the problem is we have no forward planning with regard to the squad, which is why every season we end up having to rebuild the squad. If the younger players play a bigger role in the first team, then more are likely to establish themselves as first teamers moving forward and this helps with the squad building problem that we face every season. This is the key for me.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you mean so that they could get us relegated again next year with Bobby or Joel in goals ? 

Obviously no new Manager would get infinite time to rebuild us, if we were staring relegation in the face.

But even Stendel would clearly have benefitted from a 4 month lead in period and a full pre-season before the league season kicked off in earnest.  At present Robbie's ongoing stay of execution is just wasting valuable recovery time.

Depends if we are/were moving in the right direction and i felt he/she was improving the team, if that was the case i would be willing to give atleast 2-3 seasons to see if we can build towards something even if that meant finishing 5th first season or something.

Think it would depend on what players were brought to the club. Firstly (and i said the same about Stendel when he came here) he needs to get rid of the deadwood but that won't and financially can't happen overnight, particularly with some of the lengths of contracts. I said that Stendel was going to need 18 months just to lose the club of it's lethargy so any new manager will need the same amount of time. If a new manager can coach the team to it's potential and get the players playing a more slick passing style then that's a start. I always think a manager should show passion and fight on the touchline like Jeffries, Burley and even Stendel did. If the manager wants his players to fight and dig, it rubs off all around the ground, players and fans alike. It creates a togetherness and an atmosphere that players can thrive in. It's not too much to ask. I'd like us to get rid of around nine or ten players and replace them with fewer of a much better quality. That way the better quality players get a better wage and it slims the squad down rather than bloating it with eight or nine more of similar shite. It also increases chances for youngsters to get game or bench-time. My concern is that we'll be signing more has-beens and never-will-be's from the lower echelons of England if Savage has anything to do with it. We need a scout here that knows the Scottish game and watches what's happening at other clubs. 

Jeffros Furios
47 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Been Boring Before is a child and best ignored .

As long as I can see any pattern of play develop and players are improving (even marginally) then a new manager will get more time from me than Robbie. I'm less concerned about league position initially if there are signs that something is being built (so long as it's not bottom) 

lost in space

I would give until he stopped progressing the team.

First, I would want to see players who knew what was required of them, giving their all.

After this, I would look for continued improvement - gradual if need be.

Of course, there would be "blips" and even "bumps" but these are acceptable as long as there are signs of progress.

Once progress has stopped, he should go - unless there is an obvious reason (eg less funding).

17 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Been Boring Before is a child and best ignored .

Good advice 👍

2 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

It's not just about getting a new manager, the structure of the club is all wrong, we have no identity as a club. 

We neglect youth we don't have a style of play. 

I'm not going to say anymore as it's emotional for me, to see what we have become. 

If we weren't 2-0 up by half time in the very first game, there would be some absolute smooth-brain reprobates raiding their mum's linen cupboard for the next banners.

I'm not even joking either.

I think if we had drawn and lost as many games as we have done, provided we had played decent football then I don't think there'd be as many critics. We would have been able to at least see progression. 

Losing to Alloa and Brora on top of shite performances has tipped the balance against him. 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

About a week.

Some on here a bit less if its not Stendel.

Not far off it! Derek McInnes would be a fine example. Lots of Hearts fans would love it if we appointed him, but they'd be cursing his eye bleeding football in weeks.

Guest ToqueJambo

How much time should a new manager be given? 2 seasons minimum so long as they're achieving at least some of their targets and haven't got us relegated or put us in an unacceptable league position.

How much time will Hearts fans give him? Until the first bad defeat or the first run of poor performances

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So Budge hires Bielsa it's a shit appointment JJ is consulted, hires Mcglynn it's a great appointment. 

Glad we got the agenda sorted out.

We will never know with Stendel unfortunately. Looked as if he was beginning to suss it out,Rangers Hibs and Motherwell. 

Preference for no Hearts connection, too divisive. 

Mcinnes would be a strange choice for youth development, one of the many reasons including lack of entertainment Aberdeen fans were spitting feathers over.

The young version may be Calum Davidson. Neil seems to play a decent brand but he has been back pedalling for a while. 

Davidson is at least on an upward trajectory 

Psychedelicropcircle
5 hours ago, been here before said:

That wasnt directed at you specifically but more making the point that amongst a growing section of the support it would make no odds who rocked up next.

A Budge appointment would be seen as the wrong appointment given her track record thus far no matter who it was given the current feeling toward her.

C'est la vie.

Yes but when it comes to Mrs budge picking managers we’ve been here before.

How long should a manager be given before he is judged / sacked? A full season unless we are in the relegation play off spot well adrift by Christmas. The way you know a coach or manager is goosed is when you as a season ticket holder or walk up fan no longer look forward to watching the game and are happy to miss games for a weekend away you could arrange around a home game.

Even with a pandemic and little time outside your living room Hearts are a hard watch this season. Almost unwatchable at times and I say that as someone who has watched all our games except the league Cup section games.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Not far off it! Derek McInnes would be a fine example. Lots of Hearts fans would love it if we appointed him, but they'd be cursing his eye bleeding football in weeks.

What I was just going to say. I don’t think he’d get as much time as some.

Personally I’d just really like to see a Hearts team worthy of the name. 
A couple of youngsters. A bit pace, urgency and in game management.

Signs that the manager and players are working together.

Recruitment is the key. Manager and players. I always harp back to Doddie and Sandy. Brought in older players but the RIGHT players to bring Robbo, MacKay, Bowman etc through