Car insurance

iantjambo

I’m not entirely clued up when it comes to this. This could be a stupid question but I’ll ask it anyway.

I’m currently with Admiral and have just had my new annual quote. I think it’s fairly high and so I went into go compare to see if I can get anything cheaper. I saw one (Halifax iirc) that was about £300 cheaper. The only difference that I could see is that the new company has a mandatory excess of £100 (not a big deal).

Question is. Am I missing something or is it a no brainier to go with the cheaper quote?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

31 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’m not entirely clued up when it comes to this. This could be a stupid question but I’ll ask it anyway.

I’m currently with Admiral and have just had my new annual quote. I think it’s fairly high and so I went into go compare to see if I can get anything cheaper. I saw one (Halifax iirc) that was about £300 cheaper. The only difference that I could see is that the new company has a mandatory excess of £100 (not a big deal).

Question is. Am I missing something or is it a no brainier to go with the cheaper quote?

I'm with Admiral. Every year I get my renewal quote and then I go onto a comparison site. Admiral normally comes out cheapest, and of course cheaper than my renewal quote. So I just take the deal through the comparison site and then phone Admiral to cancel the renewal.

Long story short, renewal quotes are a sham.

21 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm with Admiral. Every year I get my renewal quote and then I go onto a comparison site. Admiral normally comes out cheapest, and of course cheaper than my renewal quote. So I just take the deal through the comparison site and then phone Admiral to cancel the renewal.

Cheers 👍🏻

27 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Absolutely. They rely on people not bothering to look elsewhere or negotiate. 

Most types of insurance are the same. I recall an elderly person on TV paying thousands upon thousands for (I think) home insurance as she just let the policy auto renew each year. They must make a huge amount off people just allowing it to roll over. 
That’s pretty much the reason they have to state that you can possibly get a quote cheaper elsewhere on renewal letters as well as stating what you paid previously.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Im going through this process just now, can get my insurance more than half the price, my 1st 

question to new company, is there charges for change in policy, ie if i put my son on, change of job,

address, some charge 25 pounds per change rip off.

ULSTER HEARTS

Go back to Admiral and tell them you have got a new quote from another company and they might price match it or beat it slightly to keep your business.

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Check the comparison sites and go back to who you are insured see if they can match a decent price. They’ll go over your details and magically they’ll give you a much better price than your renewal. 

I’ve found a quote on a comparison site that suits me quite well and is considerably cheaper than my renewal quote.

I’ll get in touch with Admiral and see if they can match it or even bring their quote down a bit as I would ultimately like to stick with them.

11 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ve found a quote on a comparison site that suits me quite well and is considerably cheaper than my renewal quote.

I’ll get in touch with Admiral and see if they can match it or even bring their quote down a bit as I would ultimately like to stick with them.

When it comes to insurance you should do this every year. There isn’t a shred of loyalty from these companies so you shouldn’t show any to them. Different comparisons sites also give you different prices. Not sure if it’s still a thing but they certainly used to how you first the ones they got the most commission from. They would also hide the ones they couldn’t link to direct from them, you had to choose to see those quotes. Shop around and pick the cheapest policy that matches your existing. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

When it comes to insurance you should do this every year. There isn’t a shred of loyalty from these companies so you shouldn’t show any to them. Different comparisons sites also give you different prices. Not sure if it’s still a thing but they certainly used to how you first the ones they got the most commission from. They would also hide the ones they couldn’t link to direct from them, you had to choose to see those quotes. Shop around and pick the cheapest policy that matches your existing. 

This.

I also change my home insurance as well unless the increase is insignificant 

3fingersreid

Tell admiral to **** off , even if they’re the cheapest . Try a price comparison web site , but remember cheapest isn’t always the best 

Jambo-Jimbo
45 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

I also change my home insurance as well unless the increase is insignificant 

I think our home insurance was only £17 cheaper for the year on a comparison site, so we just stayed with our current insurer.

Do normally change every year or two, but this year we didn't.

27 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Tell admiral to **** off , even if they’re the cheapest . Try a price comparison web site , but remember cheapest isn’t always the best 

Exactly, what I've often found is that they quote a really low basic price, but you then have to add all the bits & bobs you often get as standard with a better policy, cheapest often doesn't work out to be the cheapest once you add all the extras on.

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think our home insurance was only £17 cheaper for the year on a comparison site, so we just stayed with our current insurer.

Do normally change every year or two, but this year we didn't.

It amazes me that companies would rather lose your custom than offer people a decent deal.

Utility companies are similar. 

the sub goalie
49 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It amazes me that companies would rather lose your custom than offer people a decent deal.

I'm the same, surely keeping your business is money in the door.

My car insurance is up tomorrow and I saved £100 using a comparison website, when I called to see if my current insurer could match or better they bluntly said no and cancelled the policy, zero attempt to retain me.

I'm embarrassed to say I've been with the same utilities company for years, and always put off looking for a better deal due to the hassle.  Defo going to look in to it, better in my pocket than theirs. 

2 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

My car insurance is up tomorrow and I saved £100 using a comparison website, when I called to see if my current insurer could match or better they bluntly said no and cancelled the policy, zero attempt to retain me.

I'm embarrassed to say I've been with the same utilities company for years, and always put off looking for a better deal due to the hassle.  Defo going to look in to it, better in my pocket than theirs. 

Last year I used a comparison site. One of the quotes was from the company I was already with and was less than the renewal price. I phoned up , but they refused to match the price. They had the cheek to ask if I still wanted to renew.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, the sub goalie said:

I usually use Uswitch and everytime there hasn't been any problems.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

It's absolutely no hassle at all. Go on to u-switch or some other site, find a deal and switch there and then. Switch date / meter readings etc. are all done by the old and new companies with no input from you. 

You might need to put in consumption but that will be on your last bill. 

This.

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

It's absolutely no hassle at all. Go on to u-switch or some other site, find a deal and switch there and then. Switch date / meter readings etc. are all done by the old and new companies with no input from you. 

You might need to put in consumption but that will be on your last bill. 

Or use the comparison sites to find the best deals then go through Quidco so you earn the commission rather than someone else. Takes a very little more time and effort. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I actually love wasting money on daft things and treating the kids etc. but I keep the cost of utilities, insurance etc. down to a bare minimum!

👍

It took me a while to change companies but once I was more competent on a computer it was easy. 

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Last year I used a comparison site. One of the quotes was from the company I was already with and was less than the renewal price. I phoned up , but they refused to match the price. They had the cheek to ask if I still wanted to renew.

Had the exact same situation this morning with my motorbike insurance, they happily matched the online quote though.

7 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

True. That's a step too far for me though. Might try it next time however. 

Yep it’s not for everyone mate but I can’t stand companies who take the piss so don’t mind an extra hurdle or two. 

Definitely use a comparison site and go for cheapest, or see if your current insurer will match.

One thing I watch with the cheapest though is who the company is, there's a load that I've never heard of, so do some Googling on them if you're not sure as they may not offer a great service. I tend to pick the cheapest insurer that I've heard of, rather than risk going with someone who I've no idea who they are (and especially if you see reviews saying they're a nightmare if you claim or have to get in touch with).

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Changed Gas & Electricity from Scottish Gas about 6 years ago now.

What I am paying now, is still about £20pm less than I was paying with Scottish Gas 6 years ago.

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Changed Gas & Electricity from Scottish Gas about 6 years ago now.

What I am paying now, is still about £20pm less than I was paying with Scottish Gas 6 years ago.

It’s surprising what you can save.

I keep a record of all my readings as It gives a more accurate of what I usemwhen I want to change supplier.

Peakybunnet
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Definitely use a comparison site and go for cheapest, or see if your current insurer will match.

One thing I watch with the cheapest though is who the company is, there's a load that I've never heard of, so do some Googling on them if you're not sure as they may not offer a great service. I tend to pick the cheapest insurer that I've heard of, rather than risk going with someone who I've no idea who they are (and especially if you see reviews saying they're a nightmare if you claim or have to get in touch with).

Not sure if its a negative or not, but I had an Experian account. When I did a car insurance comparism it shows as a credit check for most company's they come back with. 

I now dont have Experian which is another rip off and difficult to cancel. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Not sure if its a negative or not, but I had an Experian account. When I did a car insurance comparism it shows as a credit check for most company's they come back with. 

Did you pay a fee for your Experian account?

Peakybunnet
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Did you pay a fee for your Experian account?

Yeah it was about £12 a month. That's why I got rid. Good for checking your credit score but not at that cost. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Yeah it was about £12 a month. That's why I got rid. Good for checking your credit score but not at that cost. 

I have an account with them but it's free. Tells me my credit score. 

The account you had must have offered more.

58 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

A soft search. It won’t impact a credit application as lenders can’t see them. Just so they can see you are who you say you are.  

We've been with Admiral multi car for about 8 years and every year they put our price up. The mrs just calls them and says nah that's not happening well go else where. And just like that they mange to knock it down. 

Edited by Jamie Walker Tash

Felix Lighter
6 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

I used confused.com to renew at the weekend saved about £150 switching and got 12 free car washes for going through confused.:thumbsup:

Maroon Sailor

I chop and change if the hike in price is too much from the previous year.

No rewards for loyalty in that game

I change nearly every year.

As already said there's no loyalty offered for staying. 

My current car insurance quote came in £9 cheaper a month than my previous and that was with no excess when my previous was £150! 

Changed broadband in Feb for cheaper (£5pm) and a £70 Amazon voucher. 

Changed Home insurance last summer. I think close to £7pm cheaper AND actually more cover.

Changed Life Insurance last January and same level of cover but £11 a month cheaper!

Do the math and that's £108 + £60 + £84 + £132 saved last over last year and a bit.

I have all my renewal dates saved on Google Calendar. It's a mugs game staying with companies now.

Greedy Jambo

Insurance companies that try and up your premium after a pandemic (hardly any cars on the road for the most part) are arse holes. 

Don't stand for their pish. 

14 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I have an account with them but it's free. Tells me my credit score. 

The account you had must have offered more.

Sure it’s Equifax that charges 12 quid a month, Experian is free.

You can use Clearscore as a free of charge way to see what’s on Equifax as that’s Clearscores data provider but if you want to dispute anything then you have to go to Equifax directly.

Got a decent quote from Hastings premier. Anyone had any experience with them? Only downside is they don't offer windscreen cover.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

You can use Clearscore as a free of charge way to see what’s on Equifax as that’s Clearscores data provider but if you want to dispute anything then you have to go to Equifax directly.

Thanks for that.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

I've used Clearscore for a number of years now, ever since I started getting letters for some wifey I'd never heard off which looked clearly like a from a catalogue or store card type thing, but using my address.

We've been here for over 30 years, so we thought is someone using our address etc etc, turned out that there was nothing on our credit file to cause any concern, so it's handy to keep a check that nobody is taking credit out in either your name or using your address.