Recruitment/Improvement

JamboBoy

The key part of a coach’s role is to ensure both collective and individual improvement. He can achieve this in two main ways and that is bringing in players that are an upgrade on what was there previously and improve those he has inherited or retained. If Mrs Budge uses this measure I am afraid Neilson has totally failed. I will list below players on both categories and grade them as to whether those recruited have been an upgrade and whether the retained players have shown any improvement. I have taken the players from the First Team Squad shown in the Club’s website

Recruited Players (Upgrade Y/N)

Gordon Y

Stewart N

Kingsley N

Popescu N

Halliday N

Mackay Steven N

McEneff N

Frear N

Roberts N

Kastaneer N

Gnanduillet N

Retained Players (Improved Y/N)

Zlamal N

Smith N

White N

Berra N

Souttar N/A

Halkett N

Brandon N (accept he has been injured but his performances up until then were not great)

Haring N

Walker N

Irving  N

Damour N

Boyce N

Naismith N

Henderson N

That analysis says it all and is damning of the overall quality of coaching particularly if you view it from the perspective of players retained. It is truly appalling and even I could not believe what I was reading!  Only one player, not surprisingly Craig Gordon, who you could categorise in a positive way. Horrendous reading I think you would all agree. 

The Football Department as it is constantly referred to is the key division of any club. It has shown no improvement for many years now. I really wonder how AB and her Directors actually manage its performance. I would suggest if it is not already in place my 2 categorisations might be useful key indicators to use both as a short term and long term measures of performance . It is these key indicators that ultimately reflect where we as a club are headed in terms of success on the field which is where it must be ultimately judged.

Edited by JamboBoy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• JamboBoy

• soonbe110

• merrymac

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry missed out Ginnelly. He has looked decent in his various cameo appearances before he was injured. Still not seen enough to make any judgement on him so should record as N/A.

credit card
1 hour ago, JamboBoy said:

The key part of a coach’s role is to ensure both collective and individual improvement. He can achieve this in two main ways and that is bringing in players that are an upgrade on what was there previously and improve those he has inherited or retained. If Mrs Budge uses this measure I am afraid Neilson has totally failed. I will list below players on both categories and grade them as to whether those recruited have been an upgrade and whether the retained players have shown any improvement. I have taken the players from the First Team Squad shown in the Club’s website

Gordon Y

Stewart N

Kingsley N

Popescu N

Halliday N

Mackay Steven N

McEneff N

Frear N

Roberts N

Kastaneer N

Gnanduillet N

Zlamal N

Smith N

White N

Berra N

Souttar N/A

Halkett N

Brandon N (accept he has been injured but his performances up until then were not great)

Haring N

Walker N

Irving  N

Damour N

Boyce N

Naismith N

Henderson N

That analysis says it all and is damning of the overall quality of coaching particularly if you view it from the perspective of players retained. It is truly appalling and even I could not believe what I was reading!  Only one player, not surprisingly Craig Gordon, who you could categorise in a positive way. Horrendous reading I think you would all agree. 

The Football Department as it is constantly referred to is the key division of any club. It has shown no improvement for many years now. I really wonder how AB and her Directors actually manage its performance. I would suggest if it is not already in place my 2 categorisations might be useful key indicators to use both as a short term and long term measures of performance . It is these key indicators that ultimately reflect where we as a club are headed in terms of success on the field which is where it must be ultimately judged.

Excellent post

Leveins Battalion

The biggest cancers at HMFC are Budge and Neilson,until both are gone we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and we would still be pish.

56 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

Sorry missed out Ginnelly. He has looked decent in his various cameo appearances before he was injured. Still not seen enough to make any judgement on him so should record as N/A.

I worry he will be another who gets better with absence.

His style is alien to Robbie’s so he will either become less inclined to take folk on or not be picked

Maroon Sailor

Excellent post

This is the real problem for me.

There are so many players at this club that should never pull on a Hearts shirt again, but the main concern is having Neilson identifying those players. Berra being a prime example. Why did Neilson think he wasn't past it ?

Too much favouritsm running throughout the club from top to bottom that has impacted on making tough decisions in case it upsets someone.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

He has lost the dressing room. There will be no improvement till he’s gone. 

This is what it looks like to me.  Seen this before and we’ll get the same sort of performances until he’s removed.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This is what it looks like to me.  Seen this before and we’ll get the same sort of performances until he’s removed.

Part of the problem - player power

Some need a boot up the arse but you can't do that now and some just need booted out.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Part of the problem - player power

Some need a boot up the arse but you can't do that now and some just need booted out.

This is exactly what happens when players totally lose confidence in the coaching staff.  Not the first time it’s happened here over the years.  To me though it’s been pretty obvious that many of the players in the team are not being allowed to play to their strengths and that’s why performances have been so bad. Too many square pegs being forced into round holes. That in its self is an indictment if the manager. Why sign a box to box attacking midfield player and then not use him in that way?  We need a clear out at the top and a revamp of the squad. Players know when the guy who is setting them up out in the park has lost it and I’m pretty sure that all of this is a symptom of what is wrong. It needs to be sorted pronto. 

Appreciate the positive feedback folks. Don’t suppose with my analytical and independent thinking I would be welcomed into the HMFC Board Room. I have played this sort of role in various organisations and to be honest it is a tough gig as people feel far more comfortable when they can sit within a consensual grouping. Human nature at play but not what is needed if you truly need and require an appropriate level of scrutiny, governance and oversight to be applied. I always take the view you are there in these situations not to gain new best friends but to do the job properly above all else.

This is the nub of why our club finds itself where it is. Not enough independent, critical and analytical thinking. This needs to change. I would suggest that the FOH should look for these people to represent their needs and objectives and if they don’t reside within the group itself then the right sort of people are brought in and if necessary paid to do so. It would be money well spent believe you me. We can see where we are now with the current passive approach. Disastrous!

Edited by JamboBoy

So what are the names of players we should be looking at? Easy enough to say players aren’t good enough I’m of the opinion for a lot of the guys above it’s just a job, the club is very much secondary.

BackOfTheNet

This is the key. Savage can go out and get players required for the team to succeed - he can be given the remit of finding, for example, a box to box midfielder - and he’ll have a list of targets. He can go out and buy a target. But from there it’s up to the management and coaching staff to use those players correctly. McEneff a prime example now being played on the right of midfield to accommodate Neilson’s picks in the centre. Literally makes zero sense.

And Levein and Neilson both coached the talent out of players. Look back at the 18-19 season when we were winning, the team played well with freedom sticking to their strengths. Then training and coaching happened (and injuries to be fair) and they were never ever the same. The OP has correctly pointed out that Neilson doesn’t improve a player, I would say the same for Levein. In fact the only manager that did improve some players - and I know there’s many that won’t want to read this - was Stendel. Especially younger players like Henderson, Moore, Clare, Brandon - all seemed much improved under Stendel.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet
13 minutes ago, Hesh said:

So what are the names of players we should be looking at? Easy enough to say players aren’t good enough I’m of the opinion for a lot of the guys above it’s just a job, the club is very much secondary.

I think the point of the post is it doesn’t matter who gets brought in if the management team can’t utilise them

or coach them correctly.

21 minutes ago, Hesh said:

You are missing the point sorry. It is about how you measure the performance of those involved. I am sure some of these players could perform better with a different coach but it is how you measure the current or future coaches performance is the key issue I am trying to highlight. I have no idea how that is measured other than some things like league position for instance. That is not enough to measure the performance of the whole Football Department.

So for instance if we use promotion as our only key indicator then Neilson has apparently met his objectives. If you apply the approach I have presented he will have not met all the expectations of him. Also I do not think many if any Hearts supporters would suggest that this squad is anywhere good enough to compete at the upper levels of the Premier League. My measures would also support that view not subjectively but in an analytical way. 

The cost of another reshuffle of the squad by Neilson will be significant once again. Do we feel given what we have seen particularly with player recruitment to date that we have the right level of confidence to allow him to do that? I would respectfully suggest that the above analysis suggests most certainly not. The players he has signed have not performed in the Championship so why do we think they will do so in the Premier League? The mistakes could be even more expensive as the players to be brought in will be on larger salaries etc.

Also we can have absolutely no confidence in his ability to improve the players either to reach an appropriate and higher  level of performance. Once again my analysis substantively supports that view based on experience to date.

I am trying to take subjectivity and emotion out of the whole situation and make decisions based primarily on key facts. I personally believe the facts speak for themselves and would confidently predict that no member of the current Board has applied this sort of approach to their overall thinking and ultimate decision making. 

I am like everyone in here in that this club means a huge amount to me and I am just trying to put forward some ideas and thoughts that can allow us all to be proud Jambos again. I have absolutely no personal agenda against Ann Budge and her Directors or indeed Robbie Neilson as I do not know a single one of them. I am just trying to present an approach that could be applied to ensure we see sustained improvement. Nothing more and nothing less is my agenda here. 

Edited by JamboBoy

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, Hesh said:

It's more the type of players we should be looking at. Someone who has that air of authority on the park is required, someone who has that fire in their belly, someone who can turn matches around, someone who can take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Too many lily livered precious wee souls in football now who are not up for it week in, week out.

A_A wehatethehibs

The big disappointments above all others have been mceneff and GMS. They were very important signings so we could get some optimism going, a cup run and looking to next season with quality brought in, it’s been worst case scenario for Robbie they have fallen flat. At least Gnanduillet has chipped in with goals. But add to the fact that Neilson didn’t even consider bring in a Center half in January... plus the summer duds... it’s been pretty much as bad as it could’ve been on the recruitment front for Neilson. 

He was smart enough to realise we needed a goalkeeper and lucky Gordon was available, that 1 bit of management is what’s got us promotion. When cg comes back in the team we will win, and that’ll be the league sealed 

But Neilson is an idiot for not identifying that Berra and Halkett were one of the main reasons both Levein and subsequently Stendel were sacked in the end. Abysmal defending throughout last season. A new CB partnership should’ve been the highest priority this season after Gordon was signed. Popescu was an afterthought 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Captain Canada

I think it says a lot when we've been losing our last two games and Neilson didn't use all three subs. 

Players such as Frear, who he signed, aren't good enough to come on and change the game. 

Our lack of strikers is also an issue. Last season we had more options at least, albeit not great ones. Now we have two proper strikers and that's it. 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

You are missing the point sorry. It is about how you measure the performance of those involved. I am sure some of these players could perform better with a different coach but it is how you measure the current or future coaches performance is the key issue I am trying to highlight. I have no idea how that is measured other than some things like league position for instance. That is not enough to measure the performance of the whole Football Department.

So for instance if we use promotion as our only key indicator then Neilson has apparently met his objectives. If you apply the approach I have presented he will have not met all the expectations of him. Also I do not think many if any Hearts supporters would suggest that this squad is anywhere good enough to compete at the upper levels of the Premier League. My measures would also support that view not subjectively but in an analytical way. 

The cost of another reshuffle of the squad by Neilson will be significant once again. Do we feel given what we have seen particularly with player recruitment to date that we should the right level of confidence to allow him to do that? I would respectfully suggest that the above analysis suggests most certainly not. The players he has signed have not performed in the Championship so why do we think they will do so in the Premier League?

Also we can have absolutely no confidence in his ability to improve the players either to reach an appropriate level. Once again my analysis substantively supports that view.

I am trying to take subjectivity and emotion out of the whole situation and make decisions based primarily on facts. I personally believe the facts speak for themselves and would confidently predict that no member of the current Board has applied this sort of approach to their overall thinking and ultimate decision making. 

I am like everyone in here in that this club means a huge amount to me and I am just trying to put forward some ideas and thoughts that can allow us all to be proud Jambos again. I have no personal agenda against Ann Budge and her Directors or indeed Robbie Neilson. I am just trying to present an approach that could be applied to ensure we see sustained improvement. Nothing more and nothing less.

That is the trouble with objectives. They can cover a host of issues.

If the manager's objective was to gain promotion this season he has achieved that - job done - box 2 overall ?

He hasn't failed but is still seen in some quarters as being a failure.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The biggest cancers at HMFC are Budge and Neilson,until both are gone we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and we would still be pish.

This. We haven't made a player better in donkeys. 

5 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

The cost of another reshuffle of the squad by Neilson will be significant once again. Do we feel given what we have seen particularly with player recruitment to date that we should the right level of confidence to allow him to do that? I would respectfully suggest that the above analysis suggests most certainly not. The players he has signed have not performed in the Championship so why do we think they will do so in the Premier League?

Also we can have absolutely no confidence in his ability to improve the players either to reach an appropriate level. Once again my analysis substantively supports that view.

I am trying to take subjectivity and emotion out of the whole situation and make decisions based primarily on facts. I personally believe the facts speak for themselves and would confidently predict that no member of the current Board has applied this sort of approach to their overall thinking and ultimate decision making. 

I am like everyone in here in that this club means a huge amount to me and I am just trying to put forward some ideas and thoughts that can allow us all to be proud Jambos again. I have no personal agenda against Ann Budge and her Directors or indeed Robbie Neilson. I am just trying to present an approach that could be applied to ensure we see sustained improvement. Nothing more and nothing less.

Completely get your points made and some good points but I won’t happen with Budge in place unfortunately. You can’t have any objective analysis especially when it comes to criticism, even when it is absolutely merited 

A Great example of that was Stendel. First guy in who had to current connections to the board. When he immediately criticised the playing standards and attitudes around the club AB pretty much stopped supporting him from that point onwards 

The guy was absolutely bang on, but the current regime see the criticism’s made as attacks or vendetta’s or whatever you want to call it. They close ranks and dismiss anything that is said 

it is why they have to go - all of them 

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If the manager's objective was to gain promotion this season he has achieved that ?

He is a failure if you take a far wider look than purely promotion which in my view we must do. This sort of one objective approach is why we are where we are and proves why we are at the place we are.  This has to change or we will just have to deal with the same stuff time and again. That is not a sustainable approach to take particularly financially. 

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If the manager's objective was to gain promotion this season he has achieved that - job done - box 2 overall ?

He's succeeded according to the club's objectives - which is the entire problem in a nutshell.

Because he's failed completely according to what the club's objectives should be, but aren't.

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

His first KPI was far too easy.

A blind person can see this on field style of play won't work for years 2 and 3 of the next phase of the 3 year plan.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, JamboBoy said:

He is a failure if you take a far wider look than purely promotion which in my view we must do. This sort of one objective approach is why we are where we are and proves why we are at the place we are.  This has to change or we will just have to deal with the same stuff time and again. That is not a sustainable approach to take particularly financially. 

Promotion was the main objective

We are all getting bent out of shape for the disaster in the cup and the style of play but that would be nothing if we missed out on promotion.

2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Completely get your points made and some good points but I won’t happen with Budge in place unfortunately. You can’t have any objective analysis especially when it comes to criticism, even when it is absolutely merited 

A Great example of that was Stendel. First guy in who had to current connections to the board. When he immediately criticised the playing standards and attitudes around the club AB pretty much stopped supporting him from that point onwards 

The guy was absolutely bang on, but the current regime see the criticism’s made as attacks or vendetta’s or whatever you want to call it. They close ranks and dismiss anything that is said 

it is why they have to go - all of them 

Thanks for the feedback. You may well be right about AB but we need a new approach preferably pushed by the FOH regardless if she is there or not. My proposed approach is about how the FOH could be positively contributing to sustainable improvement and meeting the objectives of the FOH itself in many ways. We are all in this together I have to presume so AB should not be opposed to anything that is all about improvement as at the end of the day she will be wanting to leave her position with a lasting legacy. This is one way of doing so along with her other achievements not least saving our club. I for one wholeheartedly appreciate her doing that. 

15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This is the key. Savage can go out and get players required for the team to succeed - he can be given the remit of finding, for example, a box to box midfielder - and he’ll have a list of targets. He can go out and buy a target. But from there it’s up to the management and coaching staff to use those players correctly. McEneff a prime example now being played on the right of midfield to accommodate Neilson’s picks in the centre. Literally makes zero sense.

And Levein and Neilson both coached the talent out of players. Look back at the 18-19 season when we were winning, the team played well with freedom sticking to their strengths. Then training and coaching happened (and injuries to be fair) and they were never ever the same. The OP has correctly pointed out that Neilson doesn’t improve a player, I would say the same for Levein. In fact the only manager that did improve some players - and I know there’s many that won’t want to read this - was Stendel. Especially younger players like Henderson, Moore, Clare, Brandon - all seemed much improved under Stendel.

Very well put.

I actually think people are making too much of recruitment.

Yes a lot of stinkers. But actually a lot of reasonable and on paper shrewd signings too.

No one didn't want Halkett, Kingsley, GMS, Clare, Washington, Naismith, Boyce, the list goes on.

McEneff. Early to dissect but looking like a great example. Perhaps even the archetype. Roundly regarded the best and most exciting player in LOI, and a good age, seems hungry to make it back to top. And let's not forget some very good players indeed who've come out of that league over the years.

Plays a couple of games and looks EXACTLY what we needed.

2 months on. Just another player going through the motions, put of position and with apparently no freedom or instruction to play with the passion which was the mian attribute he was credirmted with.

That isn't bad recruitment. It just isn't.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

He's succeeded according to the club's objectives - which is the entire problem in a nutshell.

Because he's failed completely according to what the club's objectives should be, but aren't.

He was brought in to get us back up. That was his remit and that was based on his past record.

It's been painful to watch but that mentality of grinding out results has been there for a long time and will take some doing to rectify that.

Personally I think Stendel knew what needed to be done but never got the chance.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Promotion was the main objective

We are all getting bent out of shape for the disaster in the cup and the style of play but that would be nothing if we missed out on promotion.

No one would disagree with the objective of promotion. My point is that cannot be the only deliverable of his performance that is viewed in isolation. My analysis proves it cannot be unless we want another huge and expensive turnover of players with little confidence of us being much better than a bottom 6 club next season or worse still relegation candidates. Is that really what we want? No I do not think so. So a wider approach to his overall performance must be applied. That way we can make a decision on whether he is the right man or not. In my view using the measures I have suggested he most certainly is not! 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He was brought in to get us back up. That was his remit and that was based on his past record.

It's been painful to watch but that mentality of grinding out results has been there for a long time and will take some doing to rectify that.

Personally I think Stendel knew what needed to be done but never got the chance.

Yes. But it's about as difficult as kicking a blind man's walking stick away. 

Stendel's treatment doesn't only look disgraceful now. It looks crackers given how shite this league truly is. He could've transformed the style of play and got us bang on to attack the top division on our return. 

Instead, we're currently looking at being down among the dead men next season. A serious club intent on achieving anything would bin Robbie for someone vastly more ambitious and progressive.

1 minute ago, JamboBoy said:

Thanks for the feedback. You may well be right about AB but we need a new approach preferably pushed by the FOH regardless if she is there or not. My proposed approach is about how the FOH could be positively contributing to sustainable improvement and meeting the objectives of the FOH itself in many ways. We are all in this together I have to presume so AB should not be opposed to anything that is all about improvement as at the end of the day she will be wanting to leave her position with a lasting legacy. This is one way of doing so along with her other achievements not least saving our club. I for one wholeheartedly appreciate her doing that. 

Fair enough, but If you, me, or any other supporter had over 40 million of a personal fortune in the bank, we would have done exactly the same as AB - and a lot would have put the money up with no loan back 

Yes grateful, but she is getting her cash back at the end of the day. It’s the support putting in contributions month on month

If she was aware then she could have came up with the same point that you just made. Since she did not, I can’t see it happening now and at this late stage, unfortunately. 

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

No one would disagree with the objective of promotion. My point is that cannot be the only deliverable of his performance that is viewed in isolation. My analysis proves it cannot be unless we want another huge and expensive turnover of players with little confidence of us being much better than a bottom 6 club next season or worse still relegation candidates. Is that really what we want? No I do not think so. So a wider approach to his overall performance must be applied. That way we can make a decision on whether he is the right man or not. In my view using the measures I have suggested he most certainly is not! 

I agree with all that

It's also why setting objectives can be a bit false / a waste of time

Edited by Maroon Sailor

BackOfTheNet
22 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Very well put.

I actually think people are making too much of recruitment.

Yes a lot of stinkers. But actually a lot of reasonable and on paper shrewd signings too.

No one didn't want Halkett, Kingsley, GMS, Clare, Washington, Naismith, Boyce, the list goes on.

McEneff. Early to dissect but looking like a great example. Perhaps even the archetype. Roundly regarded the best and most exciting player in LOI, and a good age, seems hungry to make it back to top. And let's not forget some very good players indeed who've come out of that league over the years.

Plays a couple of games and looks EXACTLY what we needed.

2 months on. Just another player going through the motions, put of position and with apparently no freedom or instruction to play with the passion which was the mian attribute he was credirmted with.

That isn't bad recruitment. It just isn't.

Exactly. McEneff looks uncomfortable on the right. When he’s more centrally playing one twos etc he seems like he’s in his element. But he can’t get there often as we have Halliday and Irving in there - two (very) left footers in central midfield. (Which incidentally means that when they play the ball to McEneff he’s rarely on the front foot) Just horrible tactics. I could imagine what Stendel would do with McEneff, hell he even had Bozanic playing alright by the end.

The thought of allowing Neilson's square pegs in round holes transfer policy to rebirth us in the summer is depressing. 

Enough is enough. 

I don't want any new signings in any positions at the  club until budge and neilson are gone.  

Both are incompetent and I wouldn't trust them with any decisions at the club, we need both gone and then we can move forward from this sorry era.

19 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Exactly. McEneff looks uncomfortable on the right. When he’s more centrally playing one twos etc he seems like he’s in his element. But he can’t get there often as we have Halliday and Irving in there - two (very) left footers in central midfield. (Which incidentally means that when they play the ball to McEneff he’s rarely on the front foot) Just horrible tactics. I could imagine what Stendel would do with McEneff, hell he even had Bozanic playing alright by the end.

Daniel Stendel openly admitted he wasn't overly comfy in the transfer market and prefers having a DoF or similar to get him what he needs.

He and Joe Savage could've been great.

Like you say Dan would love McEneff and I can all but guarantee would have him playing box to box and getting a real song out of him.

Bozanic, imo, a much better player than credit given, but another who fell foul of our awful tactics. He was at his best playing higher tempo and Tring to make things happen. He also liked to get stuck in. But when played by Levein, almost always a holding role which he never looked comfy in, didn't have the tactical or kind of quarterback/controlling abilities you need for that. Not saying he was great but yet another I don't blame on recruitment as such.

Kirky Jambo
13 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

HES A COACH THAT CANT MAKE PLAYERS BETTER.

Sadly it looks that way. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised given he was a very limited player himself whose main attribute was a long throw.

VagabondJambo
3 hours ago, JamboBoy said:

Gordon Y

Stewart N

Kingsley N

Popescu N

Halliday N

Mackay Steven N

McEneff N

Frear N

Roberts N

Kastaneer N

Gnanduillet N

Zlamal N

Smith N

White N

Berra N

Souttar N/A

Halkett N

Haring N

Walker N

Irving  N

Damour N

Boyce N

Naismith N

Henderson N

Good and accurate analysis and conclusions.

I would be tempted to send much of that to Ann Budge [email protected]

Making the point that, although Neilson may achieve his KPI target, he has utterly failed on the player side.

Also perhaps, instead of Y/N Improved, maybe have it as 3 options, Improved, Much the same, and Got Worse.  That will accentuate Neilson's failure even more clearly.

Just a thought, as she is blinkered and only looking at the Brora and QoS results as "blips", and not grasping the more serious bigger picture.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Excellent post

This is the real problem for me.

There are so many players at this club that should never pull on a Hearts shirt again, but the main concern is having Neilson identifying those players. Berra being a prime example. Why did Neilson think he wasn't past it ?

Too much favouritsm running throughout the club from top to bottom that has impacted on making tough decisions in case it upsets someone.

Agree Berra is past it but I thought he gave everything yesterday.

Nothing he could do a about the goals and even turned into a left winger at one point.

8 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Sadly it looks that way. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised given he was a very limited player himself whose main attribute was a long throw.

If he is unable to coach them technically and no reason to believe this is not true, then you have man management and inspiration, allied to tactical awareness re shape and cohesion. Oh dear

BackOfTheNet
42 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Daniel Stendel openly admitted he wasn't overly comfy in the transfer market and prefers having a DoF or similar to get him what he needs.

He and Joe Savage could've been great.

Like you say Dan would love McEneff and I can all but guarantee would have him playing box to box and getting a real song out of him.

Bozanic, imo, a much better player than credit given, but another who fell foul of our awful tactics. He was at his best playing higher tempo and Tring to make things happen. He also liked to get stuck in. But when played by Levein, almost always a holding role which he never looked comfy in, didn't have the tactical or kind of quarterback/controlling abilities you need for that. Not saying he was great but yet another I don't blame on recruitment as such.

I genuinely said at one point last season I never wanted to see Bozanic in a Hearts shirt ever again, but he changed my mind (or how he was being played by Stendel changed my mind). It just boggles my mind that we have a manager that persists with a formation even if it doesn’t suit the players. And I’m not saying Stendel got everything right, of course he didn’t, but he was doing what he could on the fly with no real training ground time between games. A full pre-season with him deciding what’s needed and Savage going and getting it for him would’ve worked. Still could mind you (something I would like to see) but can’t see it happening.

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

100%

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I genuinely said at one point last season I never wanted to see Bozanic in a Hearts shirt ever again, but he changed my mind (or how he was being played by Stendel changed my mind). It just boggles my mind that we have a manager that persists with a formation even if it doesn’t suit the players. And I’m not saying Stendel got everything right, of course he didn’t, but he was doing what he could on the fly with no real training ground time between games. A full pre-season with him deciding what’s needed and Savage going and getting it for him would’ve worked. Still could mind you (something I would like to see) but can’t see it happening.

Stendel might have been a case of the right man at the wrong time.

I look at Barnsley now and he lay the foundations for the type of season they are having after years of struggling.

I think if he was given the chance we would have seen a pretty good Hearts team to watch in a couple of years

Edited by Maroon Sailor

41 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

If he is unable to coach them technically and no reason to believe this is not true, then you have man management and inspiration, allied to tactical awareness re shape and cohesion. Oh dear

He should not need to COACH experienced players.  Imagine signing Messi and the idea of Neilson coaching him.

You can coach, encourage and improve younger players but seasoned pros like Halliday, GMS, Popescue etc should be able to fit in without too much trouble or should not have been signed.  Sure, you can give them encouragement and try to keep up their confidence levels but, that apart, improvement should be a natural part of their evolution.  The rest is down to ATTITUDE as Jock Wallace used to say.

For me Neilson's demeanour is a let down.  He lacks animation and that easy oasy approach is transmitted to the players.  The time for a change of manager is past.  We must act now.  I can accept poor football to achieve our objective of 3 points to get us promoted but I cannot accept it if we lose these games nor exit cups to the likes of Alloa and Brora Rangers

I may be wrong but I think we can sign loan players unril the end of the month and if correct we need ai least one CD immediately (a big bruiser type) and a solid midfielder.

Everybody knows how poor the squad is collectively - but it can be improved* simply by making us hard to beat but Neilson can't even manage that. He hasn't had the time, he doesn't have the nous to improve individual players and he doesn't have the money to buy decent replacements. This is is a "bargain basement , just get us  out of the Championship" season and it's beginning to show. This squad cannot be really improved* other than replaced - sure, there's a few nuggets in there as you'd expect but in the main it is hopeless. 

But having said that,  in all his incoherent ramblings  he has never explained (nor is he ever asked) why we went from winning (albeit unconvincingly a lot of the time) to looking like a shambles in all & every game recently. 

He's lost the dressing room and he's not getting it back with this squad. No way.

So what next - wholesale changes which the club doesn't have the money for ? Not a chance IMO.

He needs to go. Now. 

2 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Agree Berra is past it but I thought he gave everything yesterday.

Nothing he could do a about the goals and even turned into a left winger at one point.

Unfortunately Berra’s best is way off what is needed now and most certainly would be next season. He has been a super player for this club and needs to leave with that legacy in the front of our minds and not as he is in real danger of now being viewed. Stendel called it right albeit the manner in which it was handled seemed a bit clumsy.

What I would say in his defence is that professional football is a cut throat world. Players and managers get paid relatively well due to this being the case. You therefore including Berra need to accept the rough with the smooth. I do not believe for one moment that he should be treated any differently from other players who are underperforming over a period of time. That is the sort of gig it is and he clearly struggles to come to terms with that hence his own response to it when it happened. He seemed to be a bit precious about it all to be honest. 

Edited by JamboBoy

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Stendel might have been a case of the right man at the wrong time.

I look at Barnsley now and he lay the foundations for the type of season they are having after years of struggling.

I think if he was given the chance we would have seen a pretty good Hearts team to watch in a couple of years

I think Stendel stepped into a total mess, and for some strange reason Budge parked the DOF recruitment which would've helped him in favour of having Levein WFH on his medical dept review... Let us also not forget how long it took to get Stendel's team in to help him ( not saying that was anyone's fault but, his subsequent release made it seem like a ridiculous waste of time and effort...and of course money)

Edited by Spellczech

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think Stendel stepped into a total mess, and for some strange reason Budge parked the DOF recruitment which would've helped him in favour of having Levein WFH on his medical dept review... Let us also not forget how long it took to get Stendel's team in to help him ( not saying that was anyone's fault but, his subsequent release made it seem like a ridiculous waste of time and effort...and of course money)

A lot of supposition there to make a case for DS.

Frankly I never thought he got a real chance but he did sign 2 donkeys and must have known when he took the job that the odds were against him.  If reports are true I did not like the way his departure was dealt with either.

Robbie should not be allowed to spend a penny on any more players.

I wish someone would ask him what any of his signings have done since they arrived?

Nothing but flops and failures.

Keep Craig Gordon ship the whole rest of the squad out and start afresh with a new manager.