Top Posters In This Topic

• AlimOzturk

• Ray Gin

• Tazio

• Justin Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I went to Forries and I've never heard of the pineal gland.

Whitburn Academy obviously a better school :lol: 

Ron Burgundy
22 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I can't quite believe anyone can get so worked up by an Eastenders clip.

It's hysterically funny and one of the most blatant pieces of pro vaccine propaganda I've seen. It just needed Jason Leitch walking in and picking up a copy of Dentistry monthly from the magazine shelf and standing tutting sanctimoniously in the background.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

May be an image of text that says ""I don't need the vaccine,” they said while enjoying life without polio, tetanus, hepatitis A, hepatitis Ð, rubella, measles, whooping cough, the mumps, smallpox, diphtheria, rabies, rotavirus, pneumococcal disease, HPV, meningococcal disease, shingles and a bunch of 1800s stuff @DanPriceSeattle"

Having a go at anti-vaxxers as peddlers of nonsense is 100% justified. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some opinions are not only wrong, they're immoral. So it is with vaccine denial, end of.

Most people I know who are reluctant to take this vaccine aren't anti-vaccine though, people have just decided that anti-this vaccine must equal anti-vaccine in general which just isn't true.

I'm not anti-vaccine. They're great. I've had many...some through choice as an adult. I don't need this vaccine, so I'm not really that favour of taking it; peer pressuring people into taking something they don't need/want is immoral too. Or are we now saying people should do certain things to/with their bodies for the benefit of others? 

Edit: even the use of 'anti' is questionable really. I don't eat cauliflower as I don't like it, but I'm not anti it or other people eating it and it certainly doesn't conflate to me being anti-vegetable.

Edited by Taffin

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Most people I know who are reluctant to take this vaccine aren't anti-vaccine though, people have just decided that anti-this vaccine must equal anti-vaccine in general which just isn't true.

I'm not anti-vaccine. They're great. I've had many...some through choice as an adult. I don't need this vaccine, so I'm not really that favour of taking it; peer pressuring people into taking something they don't need/want is immoral too. Or are we now saying people should do certain things to/with their bodies for the benefit of others? 

Edit: even the use of 'anti' is questionable really. I don't eat cauliflower as I don't like it, but I'm not anti it or other people eating it and it certainly doesn't conflate to me being anti-vegetable.

Genuine question Taffin - why don't you need this vaccine?

7 minutes ago, Gards said:

Genuine question Taffin - why don't you need this vaccine?

Because the risk to my demographic is so small I'm completely comfortable with it.

The argument of taking it for the greater good and for the benefit of society is a good one and one that will drive me to take it. However that's a good enough reason, labeling me an anti-vaxxer, stupid or immoral just makes me not want to take it.

Being a healthy weight and of decent fitness is also good for the healthcare system and society as a whole (and ironically for Covid outcomes). Should fat people be peer pressured and mocked into losing weight? Or would that actually be counter productive and we'd get better benefits by educating them and encouraging them? Should we badge up those with a healthy BMI and let them back into cinemas whilst saying 'sorry no fat folk' as they shed a higher viral load?

Edited by Taffin

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Because the risk to my demographic is so small I'm completely comfortable with it.

The argument of taking it for the greater good and for the benefit of society is a good one and one that will drive me to take it. However that's a good enough reason, labeling me an anti-vaxxer, stupid or immoral just makes me not want to take it.

Being a healthy weight and of decent fitness is also good for the healthcare system and society as a whole (and ironically for Covid outcomes). Should fat people be peer pressured and mocked into losing weight? Or would that actually be counter productive and we'd get better benefits by educating them and encouraging them? Should we badge up those with a healthy BMI and let them back into cinemas whilst saying 'sorry no fat folk' as they shed a higher viral load?

Fair enough - cheers.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

I can't quite believe anyone can get so worked up by an Eastenders clip.

I can quite honestly say that I have never watched, even just one episode of Eastenders in my life.

I think the last soap that I watched had Miss Diane & Benny in it, and I watched it only because my mum had it on the telly.

AlphonseCapone

In amongst some bizarre ranting, illogical arguments and a weird reference to skin tones, I can see the point you're trying to make. Well, the point I think you're trying to make, that ridiculing and shaming folk that are nervous about the vaccine is potentially counterproductive. And I would never have seen that clip if you hadn't posted it but I agree, they could have done it in a better way. 

All that said, there is definitely a lot of grey that is missed with these discussions. The vast majority, overwhelming majority of people will get the vaccine, at least in the older groups as is shown. Even Taffin's rationale for possibly not getting it shows he thinks it works "won't take it because I don't need it" (that's flawed logic anyway). Some of those folk that will get it are covid vaccine anxious I'd say rather than anti vaxx as a principle, and worry about the "speed this has all been done", but there are very good reasons that have been clearly set out. Not to mention in a few months if not already we'll have more than 100 million people worldwide having received the vaccine with no issues which will help the nervous. 

The really detestable people are the true anti vaxxers, an absolute fraction of people who make a lot of noise online. These people can be called morons quite rightly, they're the type that think Bill Gates and 5G are involved, or that you get autism from vaccines etc. Being nervous or not being educated in vaccines is one thing, actively claiming you know so much that you can dismiss vaccines with conspiracy nonsense, then aye, **** you you're a moron. I'd be surprised if this applies to more than 1 in 10 people. 

44 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

In amongst some bizarre ranting, illogical arguments and a weird reference to skin tones, I can see the point you're trying to make. Well, the point I think you're trying to make, that ridiculing and shaming folk that are nervous about the vaccine is potentially counterproductive. And I would never have seen that clip if you hadn't posted it but I agree, they could have done it in a better way. 

All that said, there is definitely a lot of grey that is missed with these discussions. The vast majority, overwhelming majority of people will get the vaccine, at least in the older groups as is shown. Even Taffin's rationale for possibly not getting it shows he thinks it works "won't take it because I don't need it" (that's flawed logic anyway). Some of those folk that will get it are covid vaccine anxious I'd say rather than anti vaxx as a principle, and worry about the "speed this has all been done", but there are very good reasons that have been clearly set out. Not to mention in a few months if not already we'll have more than 100 million people worldwide having received the vaccine with no issues which will help the nervous. 

The really detestable people are the true anti vaxxers, an absolute fraction of people who make a lot of noise online. These people can be called morons quite rightly, they're the type that think Bill Gates and 5G are involved, or that you get autism from vaccines etc. Being nervous or not being educated in vaccines is one thing, actively claiming you know so much that you can dismiss vaccines with conspiracy nonsense, then aye, **** you you're a moron. I'd be surprised if this applies to more than 1 in 10 people. 

Out of interest why is that flawed logic?

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Out of interest why is that flawed logic?

Basic premise of vaccination is building up enough immunity in the population to prevent the infection growing. Or in terms more common these days, increasing herd immunity to keep R0 below 1. Every person that doesn't get vaccinated gives the virus a place to live and spread. That also give the virus a chance to potentially mutate which might eventually mutate to a strain for which the vaccine is less or not effective, meaning the current vaccine needs to be alter and redistributed to substantial cost and hassle, potentially including future lockdowns.  

So with all of that and given there is almost practically zero risk from you getting the vaccine, wouldn't you say logically it's better for everyone including yourself, if you get vaccinated?

16 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Basic premise of vaccination is building up enough immunity in the population to prevent the infection growing. Or in terms more common these days, increasing herd immunity to keep R0 below 1. Every person that doesn't get vaccinated gives the virus a place to live and spread. That also give the virus a chance to potentially mutate which might eventually mutate to a strain for which the vaccine is less or not effective, meaning the current vaccine needs to be alter and redistributed to substantial cost and hassle, potentially including future lockdowns.  

So with all of that and given there is almost practically zero risk from you getting the vaccine, wouldn't you say logically it's better for everyone including yourself, if you get vaccinated?

It's better for everyone as a collective, but then I said that in my post.

I thought being vaccinated doesn't prevent the virus having a place to live, spread and potentially mutate. My understanding was that you still carry it and can still spread it? I've stopped following much of it though so apologies if that's now been proven (which is great news).

Either way, it's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and I'd still feel my personal risk was very, very low. It may mutate into something that may be a threat to my demographic and it may be a strain that's resistant to the current vaccines...somewhat rendering not having one of the current vaccinations somewhat inconsequential anyway. 

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Taffin said:

I thought being vaccinated doesn't prevent the virus having a place to live, spread and potentially mutate. My understanding was that you still carry it and can still spread it? I've stopped following much of it though so apologies if that's now been proven (which is great news).

Either way, it's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and I'd still feel my personal risk was very, very low. It may increase mutate into something that may be a threat to my demographic and it may be a strain that's resistant to the current vaccines...somewhat rendering not having one of the current vaccinations somewhat inconsequential anyway. 

It's better for you personally as well. While the likelihood is that you won't be severely effected if you're not old or don't have any health issues, you never know for sure. Rare cases of perfectly fit and healthy people being floored by it happen. The worst you'll get from the vaccine is feeling off for a day or two. Covid could potentially put you in hospital and leave you with fatigue and breathing problems for months.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Either way, it's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and I'd still feel my personal risk was very, very low. It may mutate into something that may be a threat to my demographic and it may be a strain that's resistant to the current vaccines...somewhat rendering not having one of the current vaccinations somewhat inconsequential anyway. 

Emerging data on AstraZeneca is suggesting it might lower transmission; https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-could-stop-transmission-virus. Though this is preliminary and more data is needed it's welcome. 

On your last paragraph, it is a lot of ifs and maybes, that's unfortunately how viruses operate but the more people available to carry the virus, the greater the risk of those maybes becoming an actual thing (because it's a numbers game, most mutations are either bad for the virus or neutral, but the occasional one gives advantage). And for that reason, your last sentence isn't true, you could be reducing the opportunity for mutation. 

I guess my questions for you; do you accept the vaccine is essentially harmless to you? That getting it isn't massively inconvenient? And if you do agree with those, my main question is, why not just do it given the lack of negatives for you? 

jack D and coke
29 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I know quite a lot of people who’ve had covid now and the two fittest guys I know took it the worst. Proper fit guys. Said it was horrendous and other people I know who I thought might’ve taken a bad dose said it was like a cold. 
You never know. 

27 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Emerging data on AstraZeneca is suggesting it might lower transmission; https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-could-stop-transmission-virus. Though this is preliminary and more data is needed it's welcome. 

On your last paragraph, it is a lot of ifs and maybes, that's unfortunately how viruses operate but the more people available to carry the virus, the greater the risk of those maybes becoming an actual thing (because it's a numbers game, most mutations are either bad for the virus or neutral, but the occasional one gives advantage). And for that reason, your last sentence isn't true, you could be reducing the opportunity for mutation. 

I guess my questions for you; do you accept the vaccine is essentially harmless to you? That getting it isn't massively inconvenient? And if you do agree with those, my main question is, why not just do it given the lack of negatives for you? 

I'll go by the seemingly popular mantra of scientists knowing best and once they've proven that, I'll get it for the greater good. The best way to get people to do things is to make them want to do it though. Peer pressure, bullying and calling them stupid etc as per the video this thread is about is counter productive though. It merely entrenches people views and makes them want to hit back at it.

My last sentence could be true (as it stands) or it could be false. You can't declare it untrue based on something you then go on to say could be the case. If it mutates to evade the current strains which seem to not effect my demographic in any considerable way to become one that does, then having the current vaccine wouldn't help protect against that strain. Could it have prevented the case that caused the mutation? Possibly, but that mutation could also have occurred from a vaccinated person. 

There's lots of things that wouldn't  inconvenience me or be harmful to me that I don't do. It's not a strong enough argument. Once they prove it'll be beneficial to others then I'll roll my sleeve up and skip down to my appointment. I'm not anti-vax and I'm not anti-getting this one either. I'm anti-the people trying to make others do things to their own body because they want them to. 

As I said, fat people are more at risk from the virus and spread the virus more easily. Should we only let people with an acceptable BMI/body fat percentage into pubs? Should we make fat people lose weight and shame them into compliance? After all it would be good for the collective, the individual and the NHS? 

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I know quite a lot of people who’ve had covid now and the two fittest guys I know took it the worst. Proper fit guys. Said it was horrendous and other people I know who I thought might’ve taken a bad dose said it was like a cold. 
You never know. 

Correct, you never know but the data (as we keep being told to follow) suggests someone under 35, in good fitness and weight overwhelmingly won't get severely ill.

I know two people who have had it. One around my age, one very much in the 'at risk' age range. Neither even noticed they had it. Anecdotal evidence isn't science. 

AlphonseCapone
29 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'll go by the seemingly popular mantra of scientists knowing best and once they've proven that, I'll get it for the greater good. The best way to get people to do things is to make them want to do it though. Peer pressure, bullying and calling them stupid etc as per the video this thread is about is counter productive though. It merely entrenches people views and makes them want to hit back at it.

My last sentence could be true (as it stands) or it could be false. You can't declare it untrue based on something you then go on to say could be the case. If it mutates to evade the current strains which seem to not effect my demographic in any considerable way to become one that does, then having the current vaccine wouldn't help protect against that strain. Could it have prevented the case that caused the mutation? Possibly, but that mutation could also have occurred from a vaccinated person. 

There's lots of things that wouldn't  inconvenience me or be harmful to me that I don't do. It's not a strong enough argument. Once they prove it'll be beneficial to others then I'll roll my sleeve up and skip down to my appointment. I'm not anti-vax and I'm not anti-getting this one either. I'm anti-the people trying to make others do things to their own body because they want them to. 

As I said, fat people are more at risk from the virus and spread the virus more easily. Should we only let people with an acceptable BMI/body fat percentage into pubs? Should we make fat people lose weight and shame them into compliance? After all it would be good for the collective, the individual and the NHS? 

Correct, you never know but the data (as we keep being told to follow) suggests someone under 35, in good fitness and weight overwhelmingly won't get severely ill.

I know two people who have had it. One around my age, one very much in the 'at risk' age range. Neither even noticed they had it. Anecdotal evidence isn't science. 

Ok. 

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Or are we now saying people should do certain things to/with their bodies for the benefit of others?

I mean, when you boil this statement down, this is quite literally the argument for living in a society instead of on one's own, alone in the world.

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Eating or not eating cauliflower doesn't have a statistically significant effect on the spread of communicable disease. You also don't go around protesting cauliflower, peddling in conspiracy theories about it. So no, you eating it doesn't conflate to you being anti-cauliflower, anti-vegetable, or anti-anything. Coriander tastes like soap to me too, fwiw.

The Antiscience Movement Is Escalating, Going Global and Killing Thousands

And it's not because they don't like cauliflower.

Now antiscience is causing mass deaths once again in this COVID-19 pandemic. ... As both a vaccine scientist and a parent of an adult daughter with autism and intellectual disabilities, I have years of experience going up against the antivaccine lobby, which claims vaccines cause autism or other chronic conditions. This prepared me to quickly recognize the outrageous claims made by members of the Trump White House staff, and to connect the dots to label them as antiscience disinformation.

. . .

The full antiscience agenda of the Republican Party has now gone beyond our national borders. In the summer of 2020, the language of the antiscience political right in America was front and center at antimask and antivaccine rallies in Berlin, London and Paris. In the Berlin rally, news outlets reported ties to QAnon and extremist groups.

Great stuff.

5 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

photo_2021-03-29_18-31-09.jpg

photo_2021-03-29_18-30-32.jpg

:rofl:

Just now, Tazio said:

In my experience a lot of these free thinkers aren’t actually very accomplished at thinking. 

They've not a ****ing clue.

heartstastic
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Just for a bit of balance to what you said regarding no harm caused because of vaccine. There's many more like her coming out as well if you care to do some of your own research.

https://brandnewtube.com/watch/nhs-nurse-quits-and-reveals-all_IgeVB3kgEVXhhBw.html

2 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Just for a bit of balance to what you said regarding no harm caused because of vaccine. There's many more like her coming out as well if you care to do some of your own research.

https://brandnewtube.com/watch/nhs-nurse-quits-and-reveals-all_IgeVB3kgEVXhhBw.html

So the interview is on something called Brand Newtube, I’m guessing that is a hotspot for “alternative thinking” as the first reply instantly uses sheeple in it and the next is full of biblical quotes. Not a lot of balance going on I’d say. 

heartstastic
Just now, Tazio said:

So the interview is on something called Brand Newtube, I’m guessing that is a hotspot for “alternative thinking” as the first reply instantly uses sheeple in it and the next is full of biblical quotes. Not a lot of balance going on I’d say. 

Not sure what the comments section or the platform have to do with the content of the video. But attacks on the man/platform are commonplace when trying to avoid dealing with the actual subject.

3 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Not sure what the comments section or the platform have to do with the content of the video. But attacks on the man/platform are commonplace when trying to avoid dealing with the actual subject.

Well that’s a fairly stock type of answer. In terms of the platform a very quick search online tells me that it contains videos banned from YouTube and Facebook for disinformation. 
Though I’m sure that’s only because they’re both part of the conspiracy. 

41 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I mean, when you boil this statement down, this is quite literally the argument for living in a society instead of on one's own, alone in the world.

Agreed. So let's act like a society and get people on board with why it's good rather than shaming them which isn't going to change their mind. It'll just entrench their view.

Eating or not eating cauliflower doesn't have a statistically significant effect on the spread of communicable disease. You also don't go around protesting cauliflower, peddling in conspiracy theories about it. So no, you eating it doesn't conflate to you being anti-cauliflower, anti-vegetable, or anti-anything. Coriander tastes like soap to me too, fwiw.

I don't go around protesting vaccines or peddling conspiracy theories about them either. Vaccines are good, it's the militants pushing them and mocking folk I don't like. 

Just to avoid doubt, I am okay to start my fat shaming club for the good of society and our fight with Covid yeh?*

*Obviously I'm not being serious...because I'm against that approach

heartstastic
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well that’s a fairly stock type of answer. In terms of the platform a very quick search online tells me that it contains videos banned from YouTube and Facebook for disinformation. 
Though I’m sure that’s only because they’re both part of the conspiracy. 

The owners of Facebook and Youtube are the ministry of truth?. If that's your level of logical thinking i'll leave you too it.

Just now, heartstastic said:

The owners of Facebook and Youtube are the ministry of truth?. If that's your level of logical thinking i'll leave you too it.

Cheers, you’ve basically given the answer I expected. 

AlphonseCapone
37 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Watched half of it. I'm not sure what point you're trying to making with this video. I'd prefer it if you posted your own views tbh. 

9 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

:rofl:

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:wtf:

Coriander is DELICIOUS!!!

On the point of 'not needing the vaccine'. 

Isn't it the case that the virus doesn't fully 'disappear' but survives at a low level. So maybe in 20 years or so you'll pick it up.

I'm aware there are unknowns about the long term efficacy of the vaccine, and basically stand to be corrected on anything I've said.

Just now, Smack said:

I only eat it in the form of carrot 'n'....

Well that's something, anyway. 😉 Fresh coriander in a good curry is divine! But then again, I'm a critical eater.

heartstastic
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Watched half of it. I'm not sure what point you're trying to making with this video. I'd prefer it if you posted your own views tbh. 

She's making very serious claims which if can be verified or backed up by others should be of concern to us all. But you only watched half of it..........

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, heartstastic said:

She's making very serious claims which if can be verified or backed up by others should be of concern to us all. But you only watched half of it..........

I got that. Claims that have been made for a while, yet with nothing to back them up. Apologies, I thought you had something new or interesting to contribute. 

jack D and coke

I watched the video and apart from saying people are going to speak out she says nothing. Speak out about what? If you’re going to do a video like that then ffs spit it out!! She just whined through it and wasted a few minutes of my life. 

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

There is a number of YouTube alternatives popping up. This is happening as YouTube have become more and more woke and censors many videos for apparently breaching their regulations. YouTube have been known to have these other sites shutdown for various copyright infringements but ultimately they will fail as more and more start popping up. 

Same will happen to Facebook - they keep this censoring and data monitoring up then watch people switch to more open spaces for discussion. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

There is a number of YouTube alternatives popping up. This is happening as YouTube have become more and more woke and censors many videos for apparently breaching their regulations. YouTube have been known to have these other sites shutdown for various copyright infringements but ultimately they will fail as more and more start popping up. 

Same will happen to Facebook - they keep this censoring and data monitoring up then watch people switch to more open spaces for discussion. 

Im all for freedom of speech etc but I remember watching quite a lot of qanon stuff on YouTube etc a few years ago before it became really well known. 
Luckily I just felt it was too bonkers to ever actually believe but at first you can be a bit convinced. It should absolutely be removed. 
These people are absolute fruitcakes man!

13 hours ago, heartstastic said:

I'm intrigued. What makes you believe this random clip of a woman on the internet? Was she really a nurse? What hospital did she work at? Is she the full shilling? Does a nurse have more of a clue than doctors all around the world? Is she an anti vaxx actress talking *****?  Have you done your own research on her?

Platforms ban people for spreading dangerous lies.

Bams then claim "The Deep State/New World Order/George Soros/The Clintons/The Illuminati is trying to stop the truth getting out" and go watch the gobshite videos on different platforms.

It's pure tragic.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Bams then claim "The Deep State/New World Order/George Soros/The Clintons/The Illuminati is trying to stop the truth getting out" and go watch the gobshite videos on different platforms.

It's pure tragic.

:spoton: 

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's pure tragic.

You just need to check out the homepage for Brandnewtube. It’s fruitbat central with people like Vernon Coleman and Piers Corbyn featuring prominently. Lots of charming videos saying things like the COVID hoax is worse than the nazis. Alex Jones of course and Icke. 

Edited by Tazio

Unknown user
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Which is fine, open market and all that. But at the end of the day the data centres are owned by Amazon, Google, Microsoft etc, and if people continue to peddle dangerous lies on fringe echo chamber websites, they'll go the same way as Parler and be shut down.

I'm sick of hearing "do your research" from idiots who've wandered into these sites, watched a couple of opinion videos and think they're suddenly an independent thinker instead of an easily led tit

13 hours ago, redjambo said:

:wtf:

Coriander is DELICIOUS!!!

The sad part is, I know. BUT, I am cursed with the soap gene. Nothing I can do :sad: It's actually a good analogy: Even though genetically I'm predisposed not to like it, I can set aside my own bias and preconceptions, look at the data from billions of people around the world who enjoy it and say "it must be good, even though I'm personally skeptical."

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

This :sad: