Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)

wattie exploited

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

until we nail down promotion we play our strongest team.

Once we win the league we can give squad players a chance.

That’s the one!  👍

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• jr ewing

9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Totally disagree! QoS are the form team and until we nail down promotion we play our strongest team.

Totally.

Hoping ICT can improve their form, currently second bottom and the games in hand they had have not helped them much, if at all.

It’s over, chaps.

It has been for a few weeks now.

This wee league that we were unfairly forced to compete in, has been won.  It’s now just a short matter of time until it’s ‘officially’ confirmed.

😍😍

Fxxx the SPFL
45 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Totally disagree! QoS are the form team and until we nail down promotion we play our strongest team.

i think they will fall away looks like the rangers players n loan may be getting a ban due to the big hoose party a couple of weeks ago SFA have sanctioned five of the players

Niemi’s gloves
11 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think they will fall away looks like the rangers players n loan may be getting a ban due to the big hoose party a couple of weeks ago SFA have sanctioned five of the players

Affects Mebude but not either of the other 2 on loan at QoS who weren’t involved. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Beginning to think we may already have enough points. 

This is as it always is, an incredibly tight League. 

Don't take any real joy we've smashed it apart twice, however its a battle ground for sure

5 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Affects Mebude but not either of the other 2 on loan at QoS who weren’t involved. 

Queens have been on a tremendous run to be fair but most of it down to Mebude and Jones. Their pace up front has caused everyone trouble. Jones is now injured with bad hamstring pull and Mebude looks to be getting a long suspension. I think they will fade as the season progresses. 

jamboinglasgow

I have worked out what second place got in the Championship with 27 games in previous seasons (did it working out 75% of their total apart from last season where 2nd place only played 27 games:)

19/20 - Inverness 45pts

18/19 - Dundee Utd 49 pts 

17/18 - Livingston 47 pts

16/17 - Falkirk 45 pts

15/16 - Falkirk 53 pts

14/15 - Hibs 53 pts

13/14 - Hamilton 50 pts

12/13 - Morton 50 pts

Would say that it appears that based on those point totals, 4 wins at the very most is needed in our last 8 games and we would be higher than any of those seasons. 1 win and we match the smallest amount. Also the years with 2nd place have a much high points total, the difference through the table of points from 2nd down is much greater. So it appears the closer the league is then the smaller the points 2nd place gets (which helps us at the moment with 8 points between 2nd and 9th.

Also noticed we have the exact same PPG (2.11) as Dundee United had at the end of last season. Raith Rovers currently have a slight worse PPG (1.64) at the moment than Inverness had last season after 27 games (1.67)

14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I have worked out what second place got in the Championship with 27 games in previous seasons (did it working out 75% of their total apart from last season where 2nd place only played 27 games:)

19/20 - Inverness 45pts

18/19 - Dundee Utd 49 pts 

17/18 - Livingston 47 pts

16/17 - Falkirk 45 pts

15/16 - Falkirk 53 pts

14/15 - Hibs 53 pts

13/14 - Hamilton 50 pts

12/13 - Morton 50 pts

Would say that it appears that based on those point totals, 4 wins at the very most is needed in our last 8 games and we would be higher than any of those seasons. 1 win and we match the smallest amount. Also the years with 2nd place have a much high points total, the difference through the table of points from 2nd down is much greater. So it appears the closer the league is then the smaller the points 2nd place gets (which helps us at the moment with 8 points between 2nd and 9th.

Also noticed we have the exact same PPG (2.11) as Dundee United had at the end of last season. Raith Rovers currently have a slight worse PPG (1.64) at the moment than Inverness had last season after 27 games (1.67)

Our PPG is 2.21 rather than 2.11. Win on Saturday and we'll have the same PPG as Rangers when they won it.

Fxxx the SPFL
9 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Cheers 👍

Some derisory comments on here about the competition in this league.    No team has our level of consistency but there are no mugs.  The results are unpredictable most weeks.  

Steel hat on here  I want out of league as much as anyone on here but I dont think the league is as bad as many make out.

upgotheheads
24 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Steel hat on here  I want out of league as much as anyone on here but I dont think the league is as bad as many make out.

No steel hat required imo. I've always said that the coaching, management and attitude of the players in this league is a high standard.

We still need two leagues but there's three or four clubs in the Championship who could compete in the Premiership, at least the bottom half of it.

A_A wehatethehibs

It is over the only potential threat was if Raith managed to go on a maisy and get it back to 6 points. Ain’t happening. 

1 hour ago, Turkishcap said:

I agree. I think most of the championship sides are at least on a par with bottom 6 Premier teams. That's why we should go ahead with a 20 team top division. 

Glamorgan Jambo
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

No steel hat required imo. I've always said that the coaching, management and attitude of the players in this league is a high standard.

We still need two leagues but there's three or four clubs in the Championship who could compete in the Premiership, at least the bottom half of it.

Sums it up for me. Especially the coaches and managers in our league are no mugs at all and know how to set their teams up.

Every team has been dogged by consistency issues. With 20:20 hindsight the delayed start to the season was a huge mistake. Maybe a shortened campaign would still have been needed but starting by early September, taking a decent break after the New Year and starting again mid - late February would have been far better for dealing with postponements etc.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I'm a pretty pessimistic guy but it's over. These teams below us are just too pish to do anything.

True .... But we're just as pish ?

Rogue Daddy
22 minutes ago, mre said:

I agree. I think most of the championship sides are at least on a par with bottom 6 Premier teams. That's why we should go ahead with a 20 team top division. 

Yeah, I'd go along with that... there's only 8 points covering position 2 to position 9. The prem should be 16/18/20 all day long!

2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Erm...14 points less pish?

Again ... True ... All to do with levels of pishieness 😄

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

True .... But we're just as pish ?

Given we are clearly ahead of them then I think it’s fair to surmise we are not as pish as them. 😎

18 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, I'd go along with that... there's only 8 points covering position 2 to position 9. The prem should be 16/18/20 all day long!

Everything revolves around rangers and Celtic: 4 derbies and every diddy team wants them at their ground at least 3 times as Doncaster gets sponsorship from a local fudge packing operation in Hill o Beath

Edited by Riccarton3

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

They’ve taken long enough to get this far, probably be a few more weeks because Patterson is their only fit RB at the moment so it wouldn’t be a shock for it to be after they play their bigoted pals, if it goes ahead. 

Rogue Daddy
4 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Everything revolves around rangers and Celtic: 4 derbies and every diddy team wants them at their ground at least 3 times as Doncaster gets sponsorship from a local fudge packing operation in Hill o Beath

Oh yeah... I get that. It's the way it is, by design. The uglies get their hugely uneven playing field tilting in their favour... whilst the others are kept in line offering up their OF begging bowls. Absolutely pathetic.

I wonder if it ever crosses these 'diddy teams' minds, that if ours was a competitive league - their grounds would be filled most weeks... not just against the OF?

If we had a decent TV package and league sponsor (sourced by a competent ceo)... they may not be as reliant on the OF pound. I keep saying it, the best move Scottish Football could make, would be to tell SKY to GTF with their 4 uglies derbies, share TV monies evenly and reconstruct the league... so everyone is starting from a level playing field.

To put it plainly... the OF need everyone else more that we need them. Fact. And the sooner they all wake up and realise this, the quicker we can put an end to the tail wagging the dog.

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

The worst thing about winning the league by a decent margin would be complacency from the management and bean counters about the strength of the squad.

Surely to f....k there won't be any complacency from those  in management ?  If they can't see how many players we need  to do the business in spl, they shouldn't be at the club, here's hoping we get cash to get some new quality in, as its going to be needed big time...

1 hour ago, mre said:

I think 18 teams would be perfect. Like the Portuguese, Dutch & Germans. 

I believe its perfectly affordable for us to do, but would require a clear strategy from the SPFL about supporting the 2nd string teams in the top flight and clubs to adopt a stronger youth emphasis - i.e to attract interest in Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen from the neutral watching on TV. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen & Hibs should be a real draw for the TV, sadly its been done in such a way that the entire focus is on Rangers and Celtic irrespective of whatever the others are doing. When you look at Portugal, they really just have the big 3 in the same way our league is just the OF. The Dutch just have Feyenoord and Ajax. So its not a unique issue facing leagues but for some reason its been allowed to dictate our negotiating position. I mean, do you think for a minute Portugal would agree to a 12 team league? Ridiculous proposition.  *I'm not saying it in the way that Portugal only has 3 teams, I mean that the others are dismissed as league contenders by neutrals from the outset/ they lack international profile. 

I just hope things can come to a head sooner rather than later with the ridiculous voting system hamstringing any meaningful change. My view is Premier league of 18, then Championship of 10/12 then regional leagues below with play offs into the Championship. Our country isn't big enough to justify so many leagues and so many semi pro teams having an equal voice to professional clubs. Its wrong. 

54 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think 18 teams would be perfect. Like the Portuguese, Dutch & Germans. 

I believe its perfectly affordable for us to do, but would require a clear strategy from the SPFL about supporting the 2nd string teams in the top flight and clubs to adopt a stronger youth emphasis - i.e to attract interest in Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen from the neutral watching on TV. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen & Hibs should be a real draw for the TV, sadly its been done in such a way that the entire focus is on Rangers and Celtic irrespective of whatever the others are doing. When you look at Portugal, they really just have the big 3 in the same way our league is just the OF. The Dutch just have Feyenoord and Ajax. So its not a unique issue facing leagues but for some reason its been allowed to dictate our negotiating position. I mean, do you think for a minute Portugal would agree to a 12 team league? Ridiculous proposition.  *I'm not saying it in the way that Portugal only has 3 teams, I mean that the others are dismissed as league contenders by neutrals from the outset/ they lack international profile. 

I just hope things can come to a head sooner rather than later with the ridiculous voting system hamstringing any meaningful change. My view is Premier league of 18, then Championship of 10/12 then regional leagues below with play offs into the Championship. Our country isn't big enough to justify so many leagues and so many semi pro teams having an equal voice to professional clubs. Its wrong. 

18 team set up would be excellent. Unfortunately the spfl and certain clubs seem determined to find problems rather than solutions and everything leans to maintaining the status quo. 

We will win the league in the next 3 or 4 games I reckon but surely we need some overhaul of the league structure in the country. I don't know what the answer is but there are so many teams that are nothing more than glorified amateur teams playing in front of empty stadiums each week. I know they have a core fan base but there is far too many 'professional' teams in this country and we need to slim it down a little. 

Everything revolves around two teams and there are so many of the smaller teams who are happy to just pick up their scraps. The entire thing needs freshened up and has for a long time. 

Another point I don't think the league is as bad as people make out. Some of the teams are tough to play against especially away from home where we have seen weather conditions and pitches narrow the gap in terms of quality. We need to improve but I have some sympathy with the players and management, it can't be easy to play week in week out in front of no fans to drive you on. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Hope Raith don't get play off spot after there crap last summer 

Dunno, make the play offs and getting beat ala hibs style would be fine,, but Tbh any club would do now in regards to that. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Another point I don't think the league is as bad as people make out. Some of the teams are tough to play against especially away from home where we have seen weather conditions and pitches narrow the gap in terms of quality. We need to improve but I have some sympathy with the players and management, it can't be easy to play week in week out in front of no fans to drive you on. 

It's definitely not as bad as some make out, many of the brains trust call it a pub league. 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

18 team set up would be excellent. Unfortunately the spfl and certain clubs seem determined to find problems rather than solutions and everything leans to maintaining the status quo. 

If you remember the old 18 team league dont think you would want it back

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, Sherbet said:

I remember it, and I agree. The only sad part of its demise was that the previously unimaginable Hearts relegation became a reality.

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

It can’t be better than playing the same sides 3-4 times a season surely?

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It can’t be better than playing the same sides 3-4 times a season surely?

The McLeish report suggests that a 10 team top division is the most profitable. 

Fourcandles

The looks like Alloa will drop out of this league, when you look at the rest of the teams above them whoever comes down, Dross county, Hamilton or Kilmarnock will not have a easy time trying to get back up again.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's definitely not as bad as some make out, many of the brains trust call it a pub league. 

These are the same people who bang on about an eighteen team top league. 

They forget they would need six teams from the 'pub league' to achieve their desire. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Fourcandles said:

The looks like Alloa will drop out of this league, when you look at the rest of the teams above them whoever comes down, Dross county, Hamilton or Kilmarnock will not have a easy time trying to get back up again.

Although we shouldn’t be here, many teams have struggled, utd, Hibs and rangers, then look at the likes of Falkirk and Partick at the other end of the scale and to a lesser extent Dundee and Dunfermline. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Dunno, make the play offs and getting beat ala hibs style would be fine,, but Tbh any club would do now in regards to that. 

Want ross county and Hamilton to go down so would take Dunfermline in play off to beat one of them and also bonus to see looks like Alloa going down

OmiyaHearts

If you like stats have a read.

Maybe Barry has a point, that next season, possession based football will suit the Premiership more than the Championship?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If you like stats have a read.

Maybe Barry has a point, that next season, possession based football will suit the Premiership more than the Championship?

Have said this many times, if Neilson was anyone else (ie not someone some people seem to think is Levein's lovechild) fans would be praising him as a new manager settling in and doing what needs to be done this season, with a bonus derby win and creditable cup final performance thrown in. 

The high scoring results wins would be celebrated, the draws would be tolerated and the odd defeat would be considered inevitable over the course of a season. We'd all be saying "It's going well, but we could play better and need strengthening in defence, etc. Let's see what he can do after summer with fans back, things back to normal and against teams that don't park the bus."

Bunny Munro
34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Have said this many times, if Neilson was anyone else (ie not someone some people seem to think is Levein's lovechild) fans would be praising him as a new manager settling in and doing what needs to be done this season, with a bonus derby win and creditable cup final performance thrown in. 

The high scoring results wins would be celebrated, the draws would be tolerated and the odd defeat would be considered inevitable over the course of a season. We'd all be saying "It's going well, but we could play better and need strengthening in defence, etc. Let's see what he can do after summer with fans back, things back to normal and against teams that don't park the bus."

I agree with this. Look at Anderson's stats for Hibs, in their third attempt to get out of this league.

Robbie is also a victim of his own success the first time. Things would be a lot easier for us if we only won the championship by a point or two last time out.

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Kind of yes and no mate. So many factors.

My concern, and I posted this a week or two ago, is that I actually disagree with Anderson here. Stats is stats but saying the teams with more possession win more in the Prem. Well.... Yeah! The OF skew those stats for a start and of course Aberdeen and Hibs tends to have more possession than Ross Co and Hamilton.

The truth is half or more teams in the Prem play very similarly to what we're up against just now. Solid shape, pace or size up front, good at digging in and frustrating.

In my opinion we don't really have the right mentality or tactics to deal with that.

Yet!

We may well be working on that. McEneff, Gnando and GMS all early in their time with us and look astute signings for that purpose on paper at least.

We need to play with far FAR more purpose and speed. More aggression and ruthlessness in every part of our game is required.

Again, mitigating factors here. The fact it probably feels somewhat done n dusted to the players, how weird lives are at present and those factors added to no fans perhaps all add up to players playing at 90 rather than 100%. That's not a conscious thing, it's life.

We don't know any of this stuff. I do have concerns but Robbie has talked about wanting to build an attacking team, let's support him and hope!

Edited by TheBigO

14 hours ago, jr ewing said:

The McLeish report suggests that a 10 team top division is the most profitable. 

I wasn’t a fan of the repetitive nature of the 10 team league but, like the league we are presently in, it was incredibly competitive. 
The 10 team league gave us our last non OF winner and was also a period of “success “ for the national team and clubs playing in Europe. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)