Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)

wattie exploited

Just now, davemclaren said:

I imagine we will be favourites for those games. Hopefully back on a winning run after today. 

Might even get a few goals and decent performances Dave.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• jr ewing

davemclaren
Just now, Thomaso said:

Might even get a few goals and decent performances Dave.

That would be good. I want to clinch our return to the top flight asap. 

wattie exploited
13 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Ayr and QoS at home, and Arbroath away - not too much to ask for surely.

hardest game out of these will be  QoS but we should still beat them by a couple of goals :rifle:

8 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

hardest game out of these will be  QoS but we should still beat them by a couple of goals :rifle:

A few players missing (likely to be Smith, Boyce, Gordon and possibly Naismith & McEneff) due to internationals for QoS game.

1 hour ago, ADAM said:

A few players missing (likely to be Smith, Boyce, Gordon and possibly Naismith & McEneff) due to internationals for QoS game.

Don’t like the sound of that! 

billybalfour

I think you can request a call off if 3 or more away on international duty.On the other hand we could start playing the youngsters that some posters keep mentioning.If we win the next 2 games we should be able to take that decision and keep ticking the games off.It would let us concentrate on the cup without any outstanding fixtures.The way it has been scheduled it could cause a bit of havoc in April if we get through a few rounds.

10 hours ago, ADAM said:

smith - we could put kingsley at RB and halliday LB

boyce - swap with gnanduillet

gordon - time for Stewart to step up (and when he has he's been absolutely fine)

naismith - swap with walker

mceneff - could swap with kastaneer if we line up 4-4-2

we really should have a squad with enough quality to cope 

3 hours ago, billybalfour said:

I think you can request a call off if 3 or more away on international duty.On the other hand we could start playing the youngsters that some posters keep mentioning.If we win the next 2 games we should be able to take that decision and keep ticking the games off.It would let us concentrate on the cup without any outstanding fixtures.The way it has been scheduled it could cause a bit of havoc in April if we get through a few rounds.

Surely request a call off if that's the case. Why throw points away. 

May one-six
3 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

smith - we could put kingsley at RB and halliday LB

boyce - swap with gnanduillet

gordon - time for Stewart to step up (and when he has he's been absolutely fine)

naismith - swap with walker

mceneff - could swap with kastaneer if we line up 4-4-2

we really should have a squad with enough quality to cope 

Agree with this. Don't see any reason for a call off.

• davemclaren changed the title to 15 points in front ( updated )
mickycameron98

It's a low standard league. Played rubbish most games and still 15 clear. Could probably draw all our remaining games and still go up.

Malinga the Swinga

If the rules allow us to postpone as several first choice players are called up for international games, of course we should request postponement. 

Why deliberately weaken our chances by playing back ups. 

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If the rules allow us to postpone as several first choice players are called up for international games, of course we should request postponement. 

Why deliberately weaken our chances by playing back ups. 

blimey. imagine posing this to us lot when we were in the top flight last season. requesting a postponement fearing our squad couldn't cope with the loss of players for a fixture v QoS.....

I would far rather Robbie tells the 'fringe' players - go play and give me a selection headache for our next fixture...

Ford Prentice
4 hours ago, billybalfour said:

I think most of the youngsters will be back playing for their loan teams. McGill might be an exception since I don't think he's on loan but he hasn't played since pre-season. 

A_A wehatethehibs
44 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

blimey. imagine posing this to us lot when we were in the top flight last season. requesting a postponement fearing our squad couldn't cope with the loss of players for a fixture v QoS.....

I would far rather Robbie tells the 'fringe' players - go play and give me a selection headache for our next fixture...

If the rules mean we have the right to a postponement then... sorry, what exactly is the argument against that choice? We should be Billy big baws and just chuck our not match sharp reserves in because we think they “should” be good enough? Sounds irrational to me. It’s not as though we have to pay a fee for the postponement, it is freely available to us. The particularly stupid aspect of it is without Smith there is no other RB so we would have to play a re-jigged back 4 in front of a reserve keeper. What’s the point of that? So yes obviously if the rules allow it, games postponed. If we still had Brandon as a like for like swap with Smith maybe it would make sense but without that no 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

not billy big baws at all. whats the point of having a squad if you're not going to utilise it? (am not fussed if we play or not by the way).

can see the point re: smith with no recognised cover at RB. But the rest of the positions? Stewart when called upon previously proved competent enough.

swapping boyce with Gnanduillet and naismith for walker - really that bad?

if we were decimated with injuries AND had players called up then could understand a request to call off more.

Are they all even likely to get called up? McEneff and Naismith aren’t guaranteed. Gordon I’d imagine will be picked. Smith and Boyce I don’t know. 

Boyces beard
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Are they all even likely to get called up? McEneff and Naismith aren’t guaranteed. Gordon I’d imagine will be picked. Smith and Boyce I don’t know. 

In my opinion Steven Naismith has no chance of being called up, if he is it will simply be based on reputation. Anyone who has watched him recently can see he is not half the player he was just 2 years ago, he is also finding it tough in tier two of Scottish football.

heartsfc_fan
33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I'd say they are all in with a good chance except Naismith

Ex member of the SaS

We should definitely request a call off, Celtic and Sevco have and would in our place. No disgrace in calling off no matter the quality of the opposition. How many cup games against " lesser " teams have been lost? You don't win leagues by giving the opposition ANY chances.

We could be playing a pub team ( Hibs ) and I would still think it's the right thing to do.

wattie exploited
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

think Naismith is injured ?  dont know if McEneff would get called up am sure we have enough of a squad to cope especially with the next game at home :rifle: 

We should be looking to get the league tied up as soon as possible never mind thinking about postponing games .

I think we should postpone as we would have a very weak bench and if we say suffer injuries in the next two games would be disadvantaged against a team in good form. It's not weakness to ask for a postponement it's common sense.

Progress in this season's Scottish Cup will lead to a few league games being re-arranged to midweek.

After we beat Brora :pleased:, we are scheduled to meet Stranraer at Tynecastle in Rd 3 on Sat 3rd April.

Again expectation is to win & go forward to Rd 4 which is scheduled for Sat 17th April.

With a favourable draw, SC QF is scheduled for Sat 24th April.

The league games potentially affected by the above SC fixtures are :

DAFC vs HMFFC - Sat 3rd April, Morton vs HMFC - Sat 17th April & HMFC vs ICT - Sat 24th April.

The above makes the 3 remaining fixtures in March all the more important to win to get the title "signed, sealed & delivered" ASAP. This may also sway HMFC to consider the QotS fixture if international call ups could allow a postponement.

Robbie's preference is to get league games played as close to schedule as possible as evidenced in 2014/15 when dealing with international call ups & postponements. We played Falkirk (away) despite the chance to re-arrange in former scenario & quickly re-arranged Cowdenbeath (away) postponement due to frozen pitch, despite their valiant efforts to de-frost goalmouths using the club's van!! Points on board when in front, was RN stance.

Voice of reason
13 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We should definitely request a call off, Celtic and Sevco have and would in our place. No disgrace in calling off no matter the quality of the opposition. How many cup games against " lesser " teams have been lost? You don't win leagues by giving the opposition ANY chances.

We could be playing a pub team ( Hibs ) and I would still think it's the right thing to do.

Totally agree with this.

People were worried about the Dundee game last Saturday but Queens are in much, much better form than them. In fact, the best in the division having won 7, drawn 2 and lost 1 in their last 10 league games. That would put them easily top of the table since January. In that run they’ve beaten Dundee, Raith and Inverness away and Dunfermline at home (plus a draw with Hearts). Since they loaned in the 3 Rangers youth players in January plus some other loanees, they’re doing very well. We shouldn’t be acting all Billy Big-Baws here - it might ‘only be Queen of the South’ but we shouldn’t play a significantly weakened team against them when we can delay it until we are full strength. We hardly have a fixture backlog either. Let’s be professional and show everyone respect. 

On 06/03/2021 at 23:35, Thomaso said:

Ayr and QoS at home, and Arbroath away - not too much to ask for surely.

The Arbroath away game is a dodgy one. Edged the win last time.

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah they are fighting to not get involved in the relegation play offs , one gets automatically relegated but how many teams  are in the play offs?

This is how far we have fallen, folk shitting it from QotS. Deary me just play the game with our squad players. 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, The Tackle said:

This is how far we have fallen, folk shitting it from QotS. Deary me just play the game with our squad players. 

That's fine to do that and win the game. Draw or lose the game and this place goes into meltdown. 

3 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Dramatic but with a hint of truth 😢

Probably could play the game. It's only the gap that makes that an option. In professional  football,though, you look to maximise your chances.

Hectormasson
On 07/03/2021 at 23:44, Thomaso said:

Don’t like the sound of that! 

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈ditto

I'm in the camp opposed to requesting a call-off.  If our squad players aren't good enough to front up against QoS we deserve to know that.  Only find out if they play.

• davemclaren changed the title to 14 points in front ( updated )
Billy Hoyle
12 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s unbelievable we are actually saying that Arbroath away is a dodgy game but it’s completely true. Man we have some improving to do when we go up!! 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Oh look, Raith didn't win one of their games in hand.

Surprise, surprise. Given there is 8 points covering 2nd to 9th, it just shows how utterly shite this joke of a league is. I'd be surprised if any of them reach our current points total at this rate.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Surprise, surprise. Given there is 8 points covering 2nd to 9th, it just shows how utterly shite this joke of a league is. I'd be surprised if any of them reach our current points total at this rate.

Try telling that to the pant wetters on this thread :lol: 

6 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah they are fighting to not get involved in the relegation play offs , one gets automatically relegated but how many teams  are in the play offs?

One from Championship, 3 from L1, subject to during season members vote shenanigans.

Edited by DETTY29

We’re up Alloa are down. Aside from that there’s 8 points between second bottom and second top. It’ll be fun watching the rest kick the shite out each other for the rest of the season. 

davemclaren
Just now, Rudy T said:

We’re up Alloa are down. Aside from that there’s 8 points between second bottom and second top. It’ll be fun watching the rest kick the shite out each other for the rest of the season. 

Seems to be the way it’s turning out. 

David McCaig
22 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's why I've been posting an adjusted PPG table showing just how many games Raith would need to catch us.

Not disputing that our performances haven't been good enough, but it was top notch pantwetting bufoonery to suggest that we were ever anything other than miles clear at the top.

There's far more chance of Raith finishing 9th than there is of them getting anywhere near us at the top.

Guest ToqueJambo

So the great Raith Rovers challenge not materialising then? What a surprise.

Which no-hoper team should we get our knickers in twist over next?

26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

One from Championship, 3 from L1, subject to during season members vote shenanigans.

Cheers 👍

23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So the great Raith Rovers challenge not materialising then? What a surprise.

Which no-hoper team should we get our knickers in twist over next?

Arbroath?  Better than nothing.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Arbroath?  Better than nothing.

*Glances at some of the post above*

Agreed

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

RR shouldn't even be in this division (nor should we...), so the idea of them somehow sneaking into the PL through the playoffs is a massive kick in the balls to Falkirk and Partick. Would love to see RR go into freefall now. Shameless chancers.

Poses an interesting question. RR vs Hamilton or Ross County in the playoffs final - who do we want to win? I think relegating the Premiership team for giggles, especially County, and us having the opportunity to smash RR 3 times next season would swing it for me. Even though RR are absolute chancers as you say, it's PT who should have the main beef with them. Ideally PT get promoted this season then again next, and pass RR on the way down. Or even better they get to beat them in a playoff final. Grudges all over the shop that will never go away 🤣 Well done SPFL.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm in the camp opposed to requesting a call-off.  If our squad players aren't good enough to front up against QoS we deserve to know that.  Only find out if they play.

Totally disagree! QoS are the form team and until we nail down promotion we play our strongest team.

Once we win the league we can give squad players a chance.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Totally disagree! QoS are the form team and until we nail down promotion we play our strongest team.

Once we win the league we can give squad players a chance.

Absolutely. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)