Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)

wattie exploited

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think he prefers to be there rather than out wide by the way he plays. 

Think you could be right. Not made my mind up about him yet. Last Saturday was the first time he looked up to speed. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• jr ewing

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We should request postponement of games due to international call ups. Why play with weakened team, regardless of opposition. 

I get your thinking, but unless we had a few I jyrues I'd go ahead with the games. 

Likley plan to rest a few v Brora anyway. 

Give another few guys a chance to impress. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I get your thinking, but unless we had a few I jyrues I'd go ahead with the games. 

Likley plan to rest a few v Brora anyway. 

Give another few guys a chance to impress. 

If we don’t win both games it will be seen then as bad a decision as allowing a pregnant Berra to sit on the bench!!

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If we don’t win both games it will be seen then as bad a decision as allowing a pregnant Berra to sit on the bench!!

😂

Nah, the leagues over. 

It will simply mean the replacements haven't stepped  up imo. 

Ofc, the few rabid folk will explode with enrage and slag Hearts to bits but they'll do that anyway, just a matter of when, right up there with the Berra thing. 

If it means a team gaining on Dundee, I'd play the 14 year olds. 

Would happily see us go with a back three against Brora and wingers

_________________Stewart 

_______Popescu__Halkett__Kingsley 

Kastaneer__McGill__Haring__GMS

________________McEneff

________Gnanduillet__Henderson

Then for the QOS game go with:

______________Stewart

White__Popescu__Halkett__Kingsley 

_____McEneff__Irving__Halliday 

_______________Walker

______Gnanduillet__Henderson 

Edited by BigAlim

wattie exploited
On 18/03/2021 at 12:24, Sid said:

Henderson get his chance to partner the big man up front?  Not convinced about him but not given up. 

been scoring a few goal of late in bounce games ect  :rifle:

like wise not really convinced but this should give him a chance to prove a point :jambobanana:

On 18/03/2021 at 16:48, GinRummy said:

We’ll be fine. Kasteneer while playing winger constantly drifts inside so surely he could play second striker if we were really struggling. 

Ah Kastaneer - that ‘back header’ to lay on Walker for his goal.......😉

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Ah Kastaneer - that ‘back header’ to lay on Walker for his goal.......😉

Vision. 

• davemclaren changed the title to 16 points in front ( updated )
King Of The Cat Cafe
28 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

thank f uck that the other teams in this diddy league cant put a run of results together  we have the points but the football is piss  :rifle:

Sums it up, really.  If Dunfermline had not drawn five before we had our first draw, then things might have been a lot tighter.

Cally Thistle also have done us some favours over their past three games.

davemclaren

Winning a league has always only required that you win more points than the other teams. Whataboutery is pointless(sic) in that context. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Wow I'm actually blown away that we have actually increased out lead at the top! Sums up this tinpot league.

To be fair, games in hand could cut it to 10.

They won't of course but it will reduce when they are played given the teams with games in hand all play each other and are all on 30 points.

It is irrelevant though. The sooner we wrap this pishy wee league up, the better.

43 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Sums it up, really.  If Dunfermline had not drawn five before we had our first draw, then things might have been a lot tighter.

If, If, If.

If we'd have taken an extra point during the 1st 8 or so games in '85 - 86? That's football.

7 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Wow I'm actually blown away that we have actually increased out lead at the top! Sums up this tinpot league.

The old ‘tinpot league’ eh?

The ‘tinpot league’ that Hibs ( :boak:) took three years to get out of?

Ok, gregzy 👍

wattie exploited
46 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

there is no danger we will be top 6 unless we change half the team and play better football as today was the worst game I have seen this last 3 years and we have played some stinkers but today against a part time time it was hard to tell which team was the part time  team :rifle:

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we got demoted out of the Premier League because the team is still a shambles. Due to the piss poor teams in the Championship we will get away with it, but if we had been in the top league we would have really struggled.

1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Since the 36-game format was introduced in 1994, not a single team has got above 2 points per game without winning this division, and we're currently well above that at 2.19 PPG. To finish below 2 PPG we'd need to drop 11 of our last 18 points (not happening) and even then we'd have a points total which would win the league 26 times out of 27.

And yes, we have been shite and well worthy of criticism, but stuff about other teams doing us favours or us being lucky to still be top is nonsense. We've done more than enough to win the league on our own merits.

24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ok, gregzy 👍

Well we all already knew that hibs were tinpot but thanks for confirming that. 3 years! :rofl:

It is a tinpot league though in my opinion, just look at the league table, the part time teams are closer to dunfermline (who are 2nd) than dunfermline are to us, the standard is rotten in this league imo hence why we have been average at best this season and we are still 16 points clear. 

Hopefully we start getting better performances next season but can we really afford to gamble on neilson too much longer? That is the 1million dollar question. I hope him and his management team can get better from the team next year but i am slightly concerned in all honesty.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ok, gregzy 👍

You can’t judge anything on what Hibs do. There’s a lot less money kicking about too. No big bad overspending bullies in Hearts and Rangers either 😜
Look at the tinpot outfit we played today, PT with about three balls dotted about and the worst stream so far. Campbell arranged three players on loan from other clubs in this division and was then told they couldn’t, none of them knew the rules 🤔😂. Don’t even tell you how much injury time there is 😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot

The final straw thread ....

Next thread changes from 15 to 16 points clear.

See the source image

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

If Dunfermline.....

Caley Thistle have done us favours....

See the source image

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

there is no danger we will be top 6 unless we change half the team and play better football as today was the worst game I have seen this last 3 years and we have played some stinkers but today against a part time time it was hard to tell which team was the part time  team :rifle:

I was thinking that during the game, there wasn’t much between the two sides as the stats would prove. 

B9B07997-ADA8-4E35-ACFF-228025119DBA.jpeg

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ok, gregzy 👍

Hibs took 3 years to get out of it because Hearts and Rangers were in it.  We are the only big club in it this season, it is very much back to tin pot.   There’s not one half decent team competing with us.  Raith Rovers are 2nd.  Raith ****ing Rovers.  A team that came up from League 1 last season with some of its players being part time.  How much more tin pot can you get than Raith being 2nd?!

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hibs took 3 years to get out of it because Hearts and Rangers were in it.  We are the only big club in it this season, it is very much back to tin pot.   There’s not one half decent team competing with us.  Raith Rovers are 2nd.  Raith ****ing Rovers.  A team that came up from League 1 last season with some of its players being part time.  How much more tin pot can you get than Raith being 2nd?!

Which explains why we are clear top. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Which explains why we are clear top. 

Of course it does.  But some people think it’s because we’re a good team!  Hard to believe, I know. 

davemclaren
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Of course it does.  But some people think it’s because we’re a good team!  Hard to believe, I know. 

We’re the best team in this league by a considerable distance. We’ll find out next season how we compare to the teams in the league above this. 

J.T.F.Robertson

This thread's a wee bit similar to a few on .net.

Thirty odd points behind Rangers, having played a game more, yet getting all congratulatory about a third place finish in a slightly less tin pot league.

All looking forward to a "European adventure".

Scottish fitbaw is beyond a joke. (pretty much all we've got though)

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we got demoted out of the Premier League because the team is still a shambles. Due to the piss poor teams in the Championship we will get away with it, but if we had been in the top league we would have really struggled.

Yeah we would have struggled in the top league.....just look at hammerings Hibs and Celtic gave us earlier this season at Hampden. You only have to look at how Hibs, the 3rd placed Premiership team, utterly destroyed Alloa 2-1 and Dundee 1-0 in the league cup. The premier teams are simple miles ahead of us just look at how St Johnstone destroyed the Pars in the league cup on penalties, after drawing 1-1 in extra time. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We’re the best team in this league by a considerable distance. We’ll find out next season how we compare to the teams in the league above this. 

I hope we don’t find out Dave because most of this team needs emptied before next season.  

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, ADAM said:

Yeah we would have struggled in the top league.....just look at hammerings Hibs and Celtic gave us earlier this season at Hampden. You only have to look at how Hibs, the 3rd placed Premiership team, utterly destroyed Alloa 2-1 and Dundee 1-0 in the league cup. The premier teams are simple miles ahead of us just look at how St Johnstone destroyed the Pars in the league cup on penalties, after drawing 1-1 in extra time. 

Ah, the old we’ll be fine because we raised our game in a cup game argument used by people that don’t understand that’s not how football works!  Of course, the season before we were fine because we pumped both Rangers and Hibs twice.  That really helped us against the other teams who pumped us left, right and centre, right?

Mind you Hibs did at least beat Alloa in the league cup.  We managed to lose to them, so perhaps not the best example to use!

And what we do know is that, as you say, the Premiership teams were indeed miles ahead of us last season.  As they say, the league table doesn’t lie.  

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Would you agree it would be nice if we actually played like the best team in the league?

Most of these teams voted to put us where we are. Could we start playing like that ticked us off a bit?

The club we played yesterday refused to allow us to broadcast commentary yet we turn up there and play like it’s a kick about and were pretty fortunate to get a point.

Ive not got the pitchfork and flaming torch out for the manager but **** me we’re boring to watch

We are Heart of Midlothian. Is it too much to ask that we put in a bit of effort?

16 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Would you agree it would be nice if we actually played like the best team in the league?

Most of these teams voted to put us where we are. Could we start playing like that ticked us off a bit?

The club we played yesterday refused to allow us to broadcast commentary yet we turn up there and play like it’s a kick about and were pretty fortunate to get a point.

Ive not got the pitchfork and flaming torch out for the manager but **** me we’re boring to watch

We are Heart of Midlothian. Is it too much to ask that we put in a bit of effort?

This post ticks all the boxes for me.

19 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

:greatpost:

Allowayjambo1874
42 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Well said sir 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

The players are professionals and most likely don’t give a hoot re the vote last year or, especially, the lack of commentary thing. However, I do agree that it would be nice if they could string a few decent performances together. 

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The players are professionals and most likely don’t give a hoot re the vote last year or, especially, the lack of commentary thing. However, I do agree that it would be nice if they could string a few decent performances together. 

Dave do you think there’s a disconnect between the club and the fans?

I know there are always going to be a few malcontents, especially on here but even speaking to, what I would consider moderate guys there’s a real sense of “meh” Players don’t care so why should we?

Robbo-Jambo
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was thinking that during the game, there wasn’t much between the two sides as the stats would prove. 

B9B07997-ADA8-4E35-ACFF-228025119DBA.jpeg

A draw might have been OK if their goalie had the game of his life, we missed sitters and hit the woodwork a couple of times. 

That's obviously is not the case with the above stats. 

Embarrassing tbh. 

Even more so Neilson blaming the bobbly pitch. 

Don't think he's used that excuse before but he will be running out soon  😕

If he would just say the performance was very poor and not acceptable people might have a bit more respect for him. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

A draw might have been OK if their goalie had the game of his life, we missed sitters and hit the woodwork a couple of times. 

That's obviously is not the case with the above stats. 

Embarrassing tbh. 

Even more so Neilson blaming the bobbly pitch. 

Don't think he's used that excuse before but he will be running out soon  😕

If he would just say the performance was very poor and not acceptable people might have a bit more respect for him. 

Or even take some of the blame himself, that’s not in the book of the excuses that Levein passed down. 

davemclaren
36 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Dave do you think there’s a disconnect between the club and the fans?

I know there are always going to be a few malcontents, especially on here but even speaking to, what I would consider moderate guys there’s a real sense of “meh” Players don’t care so why should we?

Probably. The lack of ability to vent at matches won’t help with this. 

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Ah, the old we’ll be fine because we raised our game in a cup game argument used by people that don’t understand that’s not how football works!  Of course, the season before we were fine because we pumped both Rangers and Hibs twice.  That really helped us against the other teams who pumped us left, right and centre, right?

Mind you Hibs did at least beat Alloa in the league cup.  We managed to lose to them, so perhaps not the best example to use!

And what we do know is that, as you say, the Premiership teams were indeed miles ahead of us last season.  As they say, the league table doesn’t lie.  

You're all over the place, what are you rambling on about last season for?

The post I responded to claimed the current team are a "shambles" and "if we we're in the top league this year would really struggle" but there's no hard evidence to support that assertion.

Just because a team has some poor performances, like a few draws during a league campaign, doesn't equate to a team  'struggling' or being a 'shambles' and people who understand football know that's not how football works.

The facts/results are we're winning the league at a canter, could we be better - definitely yes, but to suggest that a team who: won a cup semi-final derby against a Premiership side, only lost a cup final on penalties to a Premiership side,  is strolling to league championship and is averaging over 2 goals per game is 'struggling' and a 'shambles' is into nonsense-on-stilts terrority.

credit card

Our underperformance has been going on for years. In the last 10 years St. Johnstone have made the top 6 three more times than us. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, ADAM said:

The post I responded to claimed the current team are a "shambles" and "if we we're in the top league this year would really struggle" but there's no hard evidence to support that assertion.

Just because a team has some poor performances, like a few draws during a league campaign, doesn't equate to a team  'struggling' or being a 'shambles' and people who understand football know that's not how football works.

The facts/results are we're winning the league at a canter, could we be better - definitely yes, but to suggest that a team who: won a cup semi-final derby against a Premiership side, only lost a cup final on penalties to a Premiership side,  is strolling to league championship and is averaging over 2 goals per game is 'struggling' and a 'shambles' is into nonsense-on-stilts terrority.

You are the one all over the place!  Why are you rambling on about cup games?  If you want to look at cup games this season why not mention the Alloa one too? 

Yet again you try to evidence one off cup games (which we were utterly dreadful in both first halves by the way) as an indicator of how we we would do in the Premiership yet completely fail to acknowledge the season before when we were able to raise our game and beat Rangers and Hibs 4 times but still be the worst team in the league.  It means nothing. Did I really need to spell that out?  

People that understand football know that one off cup games don’t give you any indication as to how you will perform in the league.  Trying to suggest that because we drew over 90 minutes against Hibs and Celtic means we will be top 6 next season is the kind of logic my 12 year old son would use.

How this team would fare in the Premiership is all subjective of course and let’s hope we never find out but instead get several upgrades for next season.   As for the evidence though, I’d suggest that is staring you right in the face week in week out.   The level of performance is nowhere near where it needs to be for a Scottish team with the budget we have. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

40 minutes ago, credit card said:

Our underperformance has been going on for years. In the last 10 years St. Johnstone have made the top 6 three more times than us. 

That’s very true. Which is why I honestly think RN needs more time. Since RN left last time we’ve made an absolute arse of it. He’s inherited a complete shambles. Let him take us as far as he can and I’m sure the next guy in line won’t inherit the mess Robbie has. I’m not confident in Neilson’s ability but I don’t think he’ll take us backwards, which is the direction we’ve been going for several years. 

59 minutes ago, credit card said:

These are years including relegation due to playing the kids with a points deduction, league stopping with a bunch of games to go, and two seasons in the championship?

Bad Religion
16 hours ago, Thomaso said:

We’re going to be much better when we start playing better teams. 

georgiehearts66
4 hours ago, ADAM said:

Hear,hear

Just to add to the St.Johnstone “facts”, since 1983/84 when both teams were promoted, they have finished above us twice in a completed, non points deducted season, when we were both in the same league. Once in the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

That’s very true. Which is why I honestly think RN needs more time. Since RN left last time we’ve made an absolute arse of it. He’s inherited a complete shambles. Let him take us as far as he can and I’m sure the next guy in line won’t inherit the mess Robbie has. I’m not confident in Neilson’s ability but I don’t think he’ll take us backwards, which is the direction we’ve been going for several years. 

I agree with this.

People calling for his head seriously need to question whether we can attract a decent enough candidate, but even if that you need to consider whether that person would be interested if they took a look at how far behind the squad is from the first team to reserves. 

Who (other than those out of work) is going to put their neck on the line if they think its unlikely they can reap the benefits of their hard work before they get the sack?

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I agree with this.

People calling for his head seriously need to question whether we can attract a decent enough candidate, but even if that you need to consider whether that person would be interested if they took a look at how far behind the squad is from the first team to reserves. 

Who (other than those out of work) is going to put their neck on the line if they think its unlikely they can reap the benefits of their hard work before they get the sack?

All fair comment. I’m all for change if it’s the right change but we need to be thinking in at least the medium term. We need to start building something again. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)