Prince Buaben

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Not really. Other than necessity because of punctures or changing weather conditions, how many drivers change their tyres during the last 10 laps for any other reason than an attempt to set the fastest lap. 

Punctures and safety reasons. Also race tactics are constantly fluid during a race as you try to combat your rival teams. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that the rules around setting the fastest lap need tightened up to stop the nonsense of only switching onto new tyres to gain a point in the last lap or two.

Just set a rule that the fastest lap cannot be set by anyone who has changed their tyres within the last 10 laps of the race or specific distance.  That would make the fastest lap more of an equal challenge for all drivers in race conditions, rather than default to a driver that has a pit stop in hand and can put of the softest tyre for a "qualifying" type lap.

Just scrap the point for fastest lap.........problem solved there and then.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wouldn't disagree with that approach.

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed. Or start giving points for nicest overtake, most colourful helmet, fastest pit stop etc.

On 20/11/2021 at 20:46, Taffin said:

They've got themselves into more of a pickle with Checo down in 11th.

I reckon they might get him to push all out on his soft tyres to try and stay in the pit window of Lewis and then put him on the hard tyre early before then trying an undercut with Max. That said think they'll be hard pushed to do anything as I can see Max being too far back come the pit stops for it to work given his speed deficit.

They'll probably do something totally different and much smarter and I'll be proven to know very little about race strategies 😂😂

Had to watch the highlights as was unable to watch live yesterday.

My above suggestion was immediately flawed after the grid penalties and further more...I'd made the mistake of assuming Checo's fastest time was set on his soft tyres rather than the medium.

Didn't seem the most interesting race but the results make the driver and constructor championships even closer. What a finish to the season it's going to be!

Poor Valtteri, he has always has such unfortunate luck/strategy.

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, Taffin said:

Had to watch the highlights as was unable to watch live yesterday.

My above suggestion was immediately flawed after the grid penalties and further more...I'd made the mistake of assuming Checo's fastest time was set on his soft tyres rather than the medium.

Didn't seem the most interesting race but the results make the driver and constructor championships even closer. What a finish to the season it's going to be!

Poor Valtteri, he has always has such unfortunate luck/strategy.

Had he stopped for hard tyres between laps 25-30, I'm pretty confident he'd have ended up in third. What were they thinking to take him to lap 32? I could see no benefit at all.

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

1st crash and safety car. 

red flagged now, advantage red bull as they can now change the tyres on MV car

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

red flagged now, advantage red bull as they can now change the tyres on MV car

I don't see why they had to red flag it. Just remove the fecking car and get on with it!

Just now, redjambo said:

I don't see why they had to red flag it. Just remove the fecking car and get on with it!

its to repair the barrier

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

its to repair the barrier

It's well away from the track though - they could have done it under a yellow. If not, it should be redesigned so they can.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

A bit of paranoia from Hamilton there. 

Not a Hamilton fan but they shouldn’t be allowed to change tyres in a situation like this. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

It's well away from the track though - they could have done it under a yellow. If not, it should be redesigned so they can.

they have just said one of the barriers is punctured and they need a crane to be able to move it

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

they have just said one of the barriers is punctured and they need a crane to be able to move it

I've seen cranes moving cars and bits of barrier before under yellows. It's a classic place on the track for someone to go off - there should have been a moveable crane behind the wall to allow repairs to it during the race. Really crap design.

I just hate to see a race red flagged for stuff like this. It makes the race more of a lottery.

7 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

Not a Hamilton fan but they shouldn’t be allowed to change tyres in a situation like this. 

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

**** off Dave.

Mon Max!

another red flag, will MV have to give back a spot.

both LH and MV being children moaning about practice starts and gaps between cars behind safety car

stewards demoting MV behind hamilton, well asking if red bull are happy with that. 

edit, it is the race director not the stewards, if red bull dont accept it will be refered to stewards.

edit again red bull accept it

Edited by milky_26

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's not down to racing anymore, it's politics at play.

The whole thing is a farce.

I think it's more that fundamentally because the cars are so complicated teams don't accept their opponents are running fair. 

That creates all the animosity and then fighting for every small advantage. 

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Any chance of a sweep on the number of cars that will still be running at the end of the race?

Or how long it will be until the Hamilton/Verstappen collision. :)

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think it's more that fundamentally because the cars are so complicated teams don't accept their opponents are running fair. 

That creates all the animosity and then fighting for every small advantage. 

Stewards and F1 run scared of Lewis and his team. Mercedes had it their own way for so long, they can't accept they have rivals.

Hamilton and Verstappen may win untold races but they aren't half the men Senna, Prost, Lauda and Schumacher were.

It is a bit ridiculous that Masi is offering the teams deals. Not a great precedent to set. He's losing the plot a bit.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Stewards and F1 run scared of Lewis and his team. Mercedes had it their own way for so long, they can't accept they have rivals.

Hamilton and Verstappen may win untold races but they aren't half the men Senna, Prost, Lauda and Schumacher were.

Red Bull have had a decent number of decisions in their favour this season. 

Verstappen and Red Bull did well to accept that offer as stewards may have issued worse penalty.