Scotland v Austria / Israel / Faroe Islands

Салатные палочки

StevenNaismith

Craig Gordon wouldn’t have conceded that goal tonight. Bad mistake from Marshall, even the save he made the other night against Austria for the first goal, he’s got to push that wide and not back out in front of him.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• HMFC01

• Malinga the Swinga

• Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

Craig Gordon wouldn’t have conceded that goal tonight. Bad mistake from Marshall, even the save he made the other night against Austria for the first goal, he’s got to push that wide and not back out in front of him.

He's cost Scotland in both games - he's dining out on penalty shoot outs.

The result's not really a great surprise. We've lost there on our last two visits, which are both in recent times and we just don't tend to win these type of games. We've probably as much chance of winning away in Vienna as we did tonight. That's not to say we'll win in Vienna, but sometimes when there's less expectation we seem to do better. Fundamentally we're an average team that gets average results - which is actually a significant improvement on a few years ago!

We've played Israel 6 times in under 3 years, and have managed 1* win, 2 losses, and 3 draws (*We did win one game on penalties): 

11 Oct 2018 Israel v Scotland L 2-1 UEFA Nations League
20 Nov 2018 Scotland v Israel W 3-2 UEFA Nations League
04 Sep 2020 Scotland v Israel D 1-1 UEFA Nations League
08 Oct 2020 Scotland v Israel W 0-0 (5-3 on pens) UEFA European Championship
18 Nov 2020 Israel v Scotland L 1-0 UEFA Nations League
28 Mar 2021 Israel v Scotland D 1-1 FIFA World Cup

The scary thing is we just don't seem to really get any better than this.  I don't think Steve Clarke has really done much with the team, and a fluke qualification aside, the fact that Scotland consistently struggle against teams like Israel should show something isn't as good as it could be.

Edited by tian447

8 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

We might need to bring back Walter Kidd and Mike Galloway for Vienna but with 8 games left and 4 points behind (sound familiar?) it’s still doable. 

We have to win the group to qualify as we fecked up a guaranteed play off place by losing  the final two  nations league matches. 

We now have next to no chance. 

Malinga the Swinga

Need to win against Faroes on Wednesday, then get result away in Vienna, could still be In with chance. If we play as we can, no doubt we can get positive result, if we play like we did in first half tonight, we'll get nothing. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, luckydug said:

We have to win the group to qualify as we fecked up a guaranteed play off place by losing  the final two  nations league matches. 

We now have next to no chance. 

Second gets play off. The nations league would have given extra chance, even if we were third in group. Blew that so need to be in top two. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Win in Vienna. Keep smoking the crack. 

Seem to remember being told the same when we went over there and did what was required. No reason why Scotland can't do the same. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Win in Vienna. Keep smoking the crack. 

Edit. Appreciate you said a result rather than win. 

We’ll need to win though. 

Austria not guaranteed to win in Israel. Last game is Denmark at home so taking it as long as possible into group will be required. 

44 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Second gets play off. The nations league would have given extra chance, even if we were third in group. Blew that so need to be in top two. 

Yep you are correct. 

I got it into my head that the play offs were just among  Nations league winners. 

A small chance but better than no chance. 

132goals1958

We have only 3 marquee players in Tierney. Robertson and McTominay. McGinn , Armstrong and Adams playing at same level but ordinary would best sum up the rest of our squad. Even at this early stage there is little prospect of us being in the mix to qualify. Like it or not I would bracket us with Israel. Sad when you think of the talent from yesteryear. Even then we failed to qualify for the final stages but that was down to bad luck rather than an inability 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Getting really fed up with football now. 

Feeling like chucking it, just too many disappointments. 

Watch rugby instead

The only kinda positive thing about happening across a bit of the scotland matches on TV these days is you don't have to suffer the sight of the imbeciles in the TA doing congas while singing Doh-a-deer.  👍

Pasquale for King

How many games is that without a win?

I get the feeling Clarke might be out of a job in June.
Neilson could take over 🤞🙏🤪

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

The only kinda positive thing about happening across a bit of the scotland matches on TV these days is you don't have to suffer the sight of the imbeciles in the TA doing congas while singing Doh-a-deer.  👍

Absolute embarrassments. 

shaun.lawson

Most of the comments on this thread seem like a major overreaction to me. I think there's every chance Scotland will finish 2nd in the group.

1. Scotland host Denmark on November 15, the last round of games. They'll likely have already won the group by then, so will have nothing to play for. That's a major advantage for Scotland.

2. Austria won their Nations League group and will, barring something miraculous, have a playoff spot regardless. That could take the edge off them later on in the campaign, ie. when they know for certain they're already in the playoffs no matter what.

3. Scotland have real spirit and unity now - for the first time since the Smith/McLeish Euro campaign. They're nothing special, no... but there's been a huge improvement since Clarke took over, and as well as being good, he's - and every successful international manager needs this in abundance - lucky.

Scotland are already hard enough to beat that I'm very anxious about the game this summer: when we'll have everything to lose. And Scotland, everything to gain.

Scotland will always be shite in my eyes, however even though i said that i didnt care if they qualified for the euros or not, I was actually effing delighted when they did, simply because it was completely unexpected, I'm unsure about this world cup qualifiers though, i think it might be a step too far at this time, we are still very suspect defensively although we have improved a little, who knows technically we should be fighting it out with austria for second place but i think they will have a little too much over the full campaign.

manaliveits105
4 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Or we’ll support you ever more after another shit performance 

Petr15 and Maxwell must go 

8 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Or fans enjoying theirselves. 

That would never do. 😒

11 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

I thought the same too. Gordon's streets better than Marshall.

The Old Tolbooth

Two games in and the qualification is beyond us already I reckon, Austria are a decent side, and Denmark are even better, and with Denmark already winning in Israel, that's a massive advantage. 

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Two games in and the qualification is beyond us already I reckon, Austria are a decent side, and Denmark are even better, and with Denmark already winning in Israel, that's a massive advantage. 

Managed the last 2 mins, forgot it was on, bought a Dennis law replica top while still celebrating

the euro qualification, 25 poonds ,good price, might come out at some point😏..

The Old Tolbooth
39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Managed the last 2 mins, forgot it was on, bought a Dennis law replica top while still celebrating

the euro qualification, 25 poonds ,good price, might come out at some point😏..

I though you "came out" years ago mate ;) 

Clarke should have started the game in the fashion we started the second half. 

I can understand he had set up on the counter to try and nick a point but we were too deep and too passive 1st half. We know these guys love to hit it from 30-40yrds. In fairness he changed it in the 2nd.

It's not the worst result in the world. I don't think Austria will have it easy v Israel because they aren't a bad side, they play like a team and have some really good technical players. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Clarke should have started the game in the fashion we started the second half. 

I can understand he had set up on the counter to try and nick a point but we were too deep and too passive 1st half. We know these guys love to hit it from 30-40yrds. In fairness he changed it in the 2nd.

It's not the worst result in the world. I don't think Austria will have it easy v Israel because they aren't a bad side, they play like a team and have some really good technical players. 

Yes, we always seem to start ultra-cautious and start playing when we concede. It’s puzzling.

I somehow have a feeling that Austria will be more offensive than us from the outset against Israel and beat them home and away. I think we have a mountain to climb now.

4 minutes ago, leginten said:

Yes, we always seem to start ultra-cautious and start playing when we concede. It’s puzzling.

I somehow have a feeling that Austria will be more offensive than us from the outset against Israel and beat them home and away. I think we have a mountain to climb now.

I think the caution comes about because of the Tierney/Robertson problem. He's trying to fit both of them into the team but it has meant we've had to go with a back 5. 

Have to beat Austria away, Israel and Denmark at home now or hope Austria slip up v Israel. 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Scotland will always be shite in my eyes, however even though i said that i didnt care if they qualified for the euros or not, I was actually effing delighted when they did, simply because it was completely unexpected, I'm unsure about this world cup qualifiers though, i think it might be a step too far at this time, we are still very suspect defensively although we have improved a little, who knows technically we should be fighting it out with austria for second place but i think they will have a little too much over the full campaign.

I’m in the same boat. Scotland seem to have found a manager in the same bracket as Levein/Neilson/Mcinnes. There’s only so much of that anyone can put up with. 

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think the caution comes about because of the Tierney/Robertson problem. He's trying to fit both of them into the team but it has meant we've had to go with a back 5. 

Have to beat Austria away, Israel and Denmark at home now or hope Austria slip up v Israel. 

We looked more comfortable second half, that’s for sure. I’m never entirely convinced by Robertson’s Scotland performances - could we play without him?

We suffered from too many subdued performances from big players last night in general. The two Celtic boys never really got going, McGinn didn’t do a lot, McTominay was quieter than against Austria. Thought Fraser was ok, although a lot of people disagree. I liked the contribution of the more unsung players like Hanley and O’Donnell, although the latter still tends to turn backwards as soon as he receives the ball.

Driving home from work over newbridge roundabout bloody gridlocked with 8 parks of Hamilton buses on way to the airport to pick the squad up Scotland first team picture on front of buses. I Was sad had quick look at flight radar they are en route 😂

upgotheheads

That Plonker of a commentator Liam  McLeod said (or rather shouted) that if Scotland couldn't get a win away from home against the team seeded below them then they have no chance of qualifying. He didn't say (shout) after the Scotland/Austria game that Austria had no chance of qualifying because they couldn't beat the team seeded  below them  at Hampden. 

Has to be               

Gordon

Hanley    Tierney  

Palmer                            Robertson    

McTominay 

Christie    McGinn      Fraser 

Dykes  Adams

Tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Has to be               

Gordon

Hanley    Tierney  

McTominay 

Dykes  Adams

Tonight. 

Swap Palmer wi Ó Donnell and you have it. 

Riddley Walker
On 29/03/2021 at 20:08, Smoked-Glass said:

We really think we can get 2nd now?  Cant see it 

After we win tonight and Austria Denmark play each other we'll be right back in the mix, regardless of score. Still 8 games to play, of course we can get second. 

Heres Rixxy
On 29/03/2021 at 14:55, upgotheheads said:

That Plonker of a commentator Liam  McLeod said (or rather shouted) that if Scotland couldn't get a win away from home against the team seeded below them then they have no chance of qualifying. He didn't say (shout) after the Scotland/Austria game that Austria had no chance of qualifying because they couldn't beat the team seeded  below them  at Hampden. 

The difference is Austria don't need to try finish higher than their pot placing. We do.

If Austria has ambitions of winning the group, then yes they blew it by drawing with us. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Has to be               

Gordon

Hanley    Tierney  

McTominay 

Dykes  Adams

Tonight. 

Want this too.

Just seen Clarke on SSN praising them. Physical team who get team in box

Think might be back 3 as usual but perhaps Adams and Dykes together with Mcginn just behind

As long as our best keeper plays i’m not fussed 

Edited by R1874

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, leginten said:

Here’s hoping for a comfortable three points tonight. Tempting fate, I know.

When has it ever been comfortable with regards to Scotland ?!