Scotland v Austria / Israel / Faroe Islands

Салатные палочки

chester copperpot
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

My mistake. David Robertson sleeping, not Tierney

It was John Robertson, not David Robertson. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• HMFC01

• Malinga the Swinga

• Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
Just now, chester copperpot said:

It was John Robertson, not David Robertson. 

Maybe even Andy Robertson.

Need to beat Denmark at home at least, beat Israel twice and hammer the rest to stand a chance. Whether we can get anything from Denmark and Austria away remains to be seen. 

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If Scotland get anything from this group, I’m a monkeys uncle.

Looks like we'll be getting something from this group then. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Looks like we'll be getting something from this group then. 

Go away, you silly wee boy.

55 minutes ago, leginten said:

They were missing a lot of first picks tonight. I think we may be up against it in Vienna.

Austria will travel to Scotland for this month’s World Cup qualifier – but are likely to be missing their Germany-based players.

Bayern Munich star David Alaba will be among those set to miss the tie at Hampden on March 25.

Clearly not. Alaba played tonight. 

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Need to beat Denmark at home at least, beat Israel twice and hammer the rest to stand a chance. Whether we can get anything from Denmark and Austria away remains to be seen. 

This team will get better. Still a LONG way to go but there's something to cheer about , for a change. 

45 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Were they?  All their Bundesliga players were available in the end unless they had players injured?

There were injuries (and maybe suspensions): Sabitzer, Baumgartlinger, Hinteregger, Laimer, Lazaro and Arnautovic were all unavailable.

Just now, leginten said:

There were injuries (and maybe suspensions): Sabitzer, Baumgartlinger, Hinteregger, Laimer, Lazaro and Arnautovic were all unavailable.

How many are 1st picks ? 

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Because it would clearly upset you. :rofl:

No sir, doesn’t upset me , wanting to look in at a hopefully positive thread rather than every other negative thread on KB just now , there is no surprises that some tool with no interest in it whatsoever wants to bring it down to cheer himself up, 

try having a pull with your other hand , you may get the same satisfaction 👍

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

How many are 1st picks ? 

Looking at their last home game in Euro qualifying, all of the players I mentioned started. Not sure how good a guide that is to current form. I watched the game on a dodgy internet stream with Austrian commentary - the guys mentioned seven names in total of players they reckoned were missing who might have played.

Just now, leginten said:

Looking at their last home game in Euro qualifying, all of the players I mentioned started. Not sure how good a guide that is to current form. I watched the game on a dodgy internet stream with Austrian commentary - the guys mentioned seven names in total of players they reckoned were missing who might have played.

Then I'm rather concerned about the return game 😟

👍

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

My mistake. David Robertson sleeping, not Tierney

Tierney did lose the ball needlessly to give the opportunity to the Austrians to build the move for their second goal. 

43 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This team will get better. Still a LONG way to go but there's something to cheer about , for a change. 

Yeah.  We've got a reasonable crop of Centerhalfs. Good midfielders. Dykes was shite but on form he is decent and Che Adams adds a bit more quality we've needed upfront. 

I still don't think he's got his best XI yet though. It is really difficult. No right backs. The Tierney/Robertson conundrum. His hands are tied. 

4 minutes ago, Schevchenko said:

I'm not a fan of O'Donnell (too slow) but apart from putting Tierney on the right what other options do we have?

There is no one. 

Played quite well tonight and tries his best but he's not great. Would be a good signing for us at our level though.

Che Adams will be a valuable player going forward. You could see when he came on he’s got a good football brain and his movement and finding space was good. We need these players that have more than just heart and effort to go on, and we’re starting to get a few in place. 

8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Disappointing not to win, but we could have lost just as easily. 

Must beat Israel on Sunday. 

Whoever wins, should get to keep the other. Not long til we've played them more than England. :D

Or Is it whomever. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

Che Adams will be a valuable player going forward. You could see when he came on he’s got a good football brain and his movement and finding space was good. We need these players that have more than just heart and effort to go on, and we’re starting to get a few in place. 

He seemed a bit lost. But he'll come good. Welcome to Scotland, Che. 

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

If Scotland get anything from this group, I’m a monkeys uncle.

giphy.gif

Oh and here,  have one of these. '

Edited by ri Alban

TyphoonJambo
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Yeah.  We've got a reasonable crop of Centerhalfs. Good midfielders. Dykes was shite but on form he is decent and Che Adams adds a bit more quality we've needed upfront. 

I still don't think he's got his best XI yet though. It is really difficult. No right backs. The Tierney/Robertson conundrum. His hands are tied. 

There is no one. 

Played quite well tonight and tries his best but he's not great. Would be a good signing for us at our level though.

Hickey can play on the right

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, maggieb said:

No sir, doesn’t upset me , wanting to look in at a hopefully positive thread rather than every other negative thread on KB just now , there is no surprises that some tool with no interest in it whatsoever wants to bring it down to cheer himself up, 

try having a pull with your other hand , you may get the same satisfaction 👍

Well, aren't you just a little gem of a person. In case it escaped your very limited intellect this is a football forum and as such you can post on any thread you want anything you want as long as it is within the firm rules. Sorry if that upsets your overly sensitive little self. 

The way they were able to play straight through our 6 man midfield was a bit worrying. They got to run at our defence several times and we never got to run at theirs. Just back to the old style of lumping balls to the big man...

3 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Hickey can play on the right

He will no doubt be capped in time. Neither him nor Turnbull or Gilmour seem to be deemed ready by Clarke. 

12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I can see us beating Austria away but dropping points to Israel. It's the Scotland way...The other option is that we win away in Denmark but lose at home to Israel.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I can see us beating Austria away but dropping points to Israel. It's the Scotland way...The other option is that we win away in Denmark but lose at home to Israel.

Yeah, going by previous campaigns it seems to suggest we have previous. 

We'll see. Israel aren't a bad side. They are tough if anything but we should beat them twice. They're certainly not better than us. 

Smoked-Glass
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yeah, going by previous campaigns it seems to suggest we have previous. 

We'll see. Israel aren't a bad side. They are tough if anything but we should beat them twice. They're certainly not better than us. 

0-0

Really enjoyed second half last night.  Austria are a good team but Scotland showed a resilience that we have been missing for many years.  We lack quality particularly up front but can't fault the effort and commitment.  That's how you get fans on board.  

Under the floodlight
15 hours ago, leginten said:

Ok so how come some of those players you mentioned actually played while others were on the bench.

5 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Ok so how come some of those players you mentioned actually played while others were on the bench.

I can’t see any that were playing or on the bench. Which ones do you mean?

3 minutes ago, leginten said:

I can’t see any that were playing or on the bench. Which ones do you mean?

9 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Ah, I see Sabitzer made it to the bench. Apologies.

Under the floodlight
7 minutes ago, leginten said:

Ah, I see Sabitzer made it to the bench. Apologies.

No worries, 

Baumgartlinger and Lainer played in the team also.

Just now, Under the floodlight said:

No worries, 

Baumgartlinger and Lainer played in the team also.

Baumgartner played. Baumgartlinger was unavailable. Stefan Lainer played but Konrad Laimer was unavailable.

Sabitzer was reported in the Austrian press pre-match as being unavailable because of an injury, and as I missed the start of the match I didn’t see the squads. Quite surprised they didn’t use him towards the end of the match.

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, leginten said:

Baumgartner played. Baumgartlinger was unavailable. Stefan Lainer played but Konrad Laimer was unavailable.

Sabitzer was reported in the Austrian press pre-match as being unavailable because of an injury, and as I missed the start of the match I didn’t see the squads. Quite surprised they didn’t use him towards the end of the match.

Apologies, the two players you mentioned have similar names but aren't mentioned in the transfer market Austrian squad, 

Just now, Under the floodlight said:

Apologies, the two players you mentioned have similar names but aren't mentioned in the transfer market Austrian squad, 

No worries. I think I may have got Lainer and Laimer mixed up myself last night when I replied to a post on here about first picks. 

Das Viertel Hearts
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Really enjoyed second half last night.  Austria are a good team but Scotland showed a resilience that we have been missing for many years.  We lack quality particularly up front but can't fault the effort and commitment.  That's how you get fans on board.  

Same here good football from Scotland controlling for long spells which was great to see after many many years of being unable to string passes together, we have some talented players...finally...unfortunately lacking killer punch up front which hopefully can be filled with Adams getting lucky !!! : ) 

Smoked-Glass
3 hours ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

Same here good football from Scotland controlling for long spells which was great to see after many many years of being unable to string passes together, we have some talented players...finally...unfortunately lacking killer punch up front which hopefully can be filled with Adams getting lucky !!! : ) 

If the thumb could get himself back in contention.   Free kicks too. 

V Israel i'd go, 

Gordon 

Hendry McKenna Tierney

O'Donnell                             Robertson 

McTominay  McLean 

McGinn                    Christie 

Adams

Das Viertel Hearts
On 26/03/2021 at 21:26, Smoked-Glass said:

If the thumb could get himself back in contention.   Free kicks too. 

Indeed - that England game was one of the best I've been at at Hampden great views of the free kicks!!!

Israel away is gonna be tough, but hopefully we've got enough fight, which we showed against Austria, to win this, close game, but I think we'll edge it. 1-2 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Serbia aside, we have been awful since Clarke took over. An away win in Olomouc looks tremendous on paper, until you realise that it was Sigma Olomouc’s reserves we played against and they tore us a new one for large spells. Beat them at home, too and still managed to finish below them and squander the chance of a playoff safety net in this campaign.

However, there’s fine lines in international football and you’re often better lucky than guid. Steve Clarke has fortunately gotten us to a finals (in which 52 of the 53 European entrants qualify) and we got there via a penalty shootout so maybe, just maybe we can get a decent win at last this evening. It’s already looking like anything less than three points will make it very tough to qualify.