Scotland v Austria / Israel / Faroe Islands

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

In all the turmoil, I forgot there was an international weekend this weekend. 

Probably nice to have a wee distraction from the shit-show at Hearts right now. So what's everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Scotland games? 

Qualifying for the Euros seems to have give the country a new found love for the international team but I can see us struggling tonight and Sunday. We should win next Wednesday but the Faroes are no mugs, as we have seen in the past. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• HMFC01

• Malinga the Swinga

• Maroon Sailor

Not really that interested I’m afraid.  The SFAs attitude to us has really drained any enthusiasm I had for the National team and anything that they have their stamp on from me.  I will of course be watching for the results,  but I’m afraid if there had been the opportunity to go to the game, I wouldn’t be taking it.  Changed days for me because I used to love going to the International games. Those in charge of the game here have ruined it for me with their attitude and I would not put a penny their way these days.

We have the potential to get off to a good start here with a possible 7 or 9 points. Don't really rate Austria or Israel  but we need to  score goals, hopefully Adam and Dykes can deliver. Interesting to see who gets the no.1 Jersey although I expect Clarke will show loyalty to Marshall. 

CloustonHMFC

Austria are very hot and cold. One game they look like a quality side and the next they can look like they've only just met each other 5 minutes before kick off. Depending on what Austria side turn up we have a decent chance for a good start to the campaign.

CloustonHMFC
16 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Not really that interested I’m afraid.  The SFAs attitude to us has really drained any enthusiasm I had for the National team and anything that they have their stamp on from me.  I will of course be watching for the results,  but I’m afraid if there had been the opportunity to go to the game, I wouldn’t be taking it.  Changed days for me because I used to love going to the International games. Those in charge of the game here have ruined it for me with their attitude and I would not put a penny their way these days.

SFA didn't really do anything to us tbh.

18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can’t see us getting anything tonight. 

I'm with you on this also. Last 2 games were dreadful, possibly a hangover from qualifying. Had hoped for a bounce from the team straight after the Serbia game but just wasn't there. 

Think tonight's result is balanced on how many players Austria have missing due to playing in the Bundesliga.  9 points would be amazing mind you.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Beave1874 said:

I'm with you on this also. Last 2 games were dreadful, possibly a hangover from qualifying. Had hoped for a bounce from the team straight after the Serbia game but just wasn't there. 

Following Scotland has often felt like following Hearts to me. You think you might have turned a corner only to be totally crushed again. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, oi oi said:

Think tonight's result is balanced on how many players Austria have missing due to playing in the Bundesliga.  9 points would be amazing mind you.

None missing the last I read. A week or so ago right enough. 

munich_veteran
2 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

I agree with this. Always struggled to understand why people have a go at the SFA for their attitude toward us, especially when you consider the attitude our own players have at the moment (Not trying to turn this into another RN thread, it's a welcome distraction to read about something else!)

Just now, davemclaren said:

None missing the last I read. A week or so ago right enough. 

Did they resolve the issue with them having to quarantine after visiting the UK?  Austria announced a gigantic squad specifically for that reason.  That was after they decided not to request the game got moved.

CloustonHMFC
4 minutes ago, oi oi said:

Austria have no players missing because they play in the Bundesliga. Germany moved the UK from variant area to risk area meaning elite sportspeople get a quarantine exemption.

1 minute ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Austria have no players missing because they play in the Bundesliga. Germany moved the UK from variant area to risk area meaning elite sportspeople get a quarantine exemption.

Ah OK - assume the UK did similar.  

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, oi oi said:

Did they resolve the issue with them having to quarantine after visiting the UK?  Austria announced a gigantic squad specifically for that reason.  That was after they decided not to request the game got moved.

I think they did. 

CloustonHMFC
Just now, oi oi said:

Ah OK - assume the UK did similar.  

As far as I know the UK always had an exemption for elite sportspeople, no matter where they travelled.

A nice deflection tonight from Hearts.  The Austria game will be a good yard stick as to where we are as a team.  My head says 1-1 but my heart is going for a 2-1 win.  

6 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

A nice deflection tonight from Hearts.  The Austria game will be a good yard stick as to where we are as a team.  My head says 1-1 but my heart is going for a 2-1 win.  

i'm with you there.  Unless it's McBurnie up top then i'd be happy with 0-0 :whistling:

28 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

I must have been mistaken then about their threat to expel us if we took the SPFL to Court last year then.

Seems like Clarke has been playing 5 at the back more often than not so:

Marshall

O'Donnell McKenna Gallagher Tierney Robertson

McTomminay McGinn

Christie

Dykes Fraser

I think we are starting to have a really good team forming. Especially with lads like Adams switching to Scotland. 

CloustonHMFC
6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I must have been mistaken then about their threat to expel us if we took the SPFL to Court last year then.

I can't hold a grudge for them holding up the rules that we signed up for. They also didn't threaten to expel, the media went on a rant how we could face expulsion for breaking the rules. At no time did the SFA come out and say they would expel us.

I think he will go, 

Marshall 

Gallagher McKenna Tierney 

O'Donnell       McTominay      Robertson 

Armstrong         McGinn                     

Christie

Dykes   

I think a draw v Austria would be a good result, they have some cracking players. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think he will go, 

Marshall 

Gallagher McKenna Tierney 

O'Donnell       McTominay      Robertson 

Armstrong         McGinn                     

Christie

Dykes   

I think a draw v Austria would be a good result, they have some cracking players. 

Che Adams is fit and playing regularly. 

He also is a player who helps rest of team with his movement and ability to control a pass.

Can't see him missing out. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He also is a player who helps rest of team with his movement and ability to control a pass.

I was going to go 3-5-2 as I thought he might go Dykes and Adams together, so perhaps Armstrong drops out for Christie. 

Edited by Cruyff

Салатные палочки
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he gets on. I remember a lot of hope around him a few years ago. Nice to know he's a regular starter. Seen some of his recent goals and was impressed. I like what Dykes has brought to the team but before that I would have been happy with Griffiths starting. 

Prince Buaben

With the result the other night it has taken my enthusiasm for football. I can see these games far enough. Normally get into scotland.

Hope CG comes back 100% fit

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Get what you’re saying mate but at the end of the day it’s your country. YOUR country. 

I’ve used a car analogy in the past re Scotland. You own your car, you love and take care of it and it means a lot to you. Now, some tramp steals your motor...even though the current driver is an absolute scumbag, you still care for the car. Because regardless of whether there’s a scumbag at the wheel at this present time or not, it’s still your car. 

Even if you never attend another Scotland game on your life, don’t let the incompetent *******s at the SFA ruin your passion for your country. They’re not important enough to impact you that way 👍🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Always had a feel Scotland would qualify for Qatar. 

Hardest to visit and most controversial World Cup ever. Destined to be there. 

Ex member of the SaS

As a football supporter of many years and at one time an avid national team supporter I am at such a low I really couldn't give two dirty shites.

The Old Tolbooth
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Can’t see us getting anything tonight. 

That's it Dave, keep our spirits up :lol: 

billybalfour

So far I would class Clarke as a lucky manager.He inherited the Mcleish tean from the playoffs and got us through without winning a game.

He got the best draw in the World Cup sections we have had for many a year and the squad we have is arguably the best for many years.He has persuaded a few players to come on board who all look like they will improve the team.I know some fans don't like it but we always had anglos in the team so let's hope they are as good as some of the previous ones

I hope his luck holds and he takes us all the way to Qatar.

Unfortunately that is probably the worst venue you could ever qualify for but never mind.It will be great if he gets us there.

I ,for one, always look forward to the Scotland games so fingers crossed for this attempt

2-1  Scotland.   I realise Austria are on a good run of form.    I think the new guy will score, forgot his name.  Che Adams I think.    Armstrong to score as another random name. 

Bottle of beer and I will be enjoying this match regardless what happens. 

Totally for got this game was on with all the excitement of the Scottish cup and honestly can't really be bothered with watching this Hearts have killed my thoughts of seeing a good game of football

2 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Hope Scotland win, just don't care if they don't. Haven't had a real interest in international football for years.

Where I’ve been for years tbh.

Auldbenches

Among all the doom and gloom there is a Scotland game on tonight thoughts and predictions. 

I think home advantage should do it here. 

Anyone watching it? 

Unknown user
Just now, Auldbenches said:

Among all the doom and gloom there is a Scotland game on tonight thoughts and predictions. 

I think home advantage should do it here. 

Anyone watching it? 

They're better than us and we can't score goals.

3-0 Scotland

Auldbenches
Just now, Smithee said:

They're better than us and we can't score goals.

3-0 Scotland

I'm just hoping the feel good factor of qualifying for the euros might have us up for this.  

Win tonight and it might actually be the start of something.

12 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Hope Scotland win, just don't care if they don't. Haven't had a real interest in international football for years.

That's me too.  Also, I'm so sickened with Hearts that I can't work up much enthusiasm for anything else at present.