• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Findlay

• Jambo-Jimbo

• manaliveits105

• gjcc

On 25/03/2021 at 08:19, John Findlay said:

Well if you didnt know already. Scotrail conductors are striking on Sundays starting this Sunday coming and all Sundays in April.

Scotrail goes back into government hands next year.

Not working Sundays is working to rule, it's not strike action.

John Findlay
Just now, IronJambo said:

Not working Sundays is working to rule, it's not strike action.

RMT up here have called it strike action.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

RMT up here have called it strike action.

They probably have to as it's organised but not working a Sunday when you have a 6 day working week isn't a strike. Nobody is going to be short on their salary. It's refusing to work overtime. I haven't worked any of my rostered Sundays for 6 years but that doesn't mean I've been on strike.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

They probably have to as it's organised but not working a Sunday when you have a 6 day working week isn't a strike. Nobody is going to be short on their salary. It's refusing to work overtime. I haven't worked any of my rostered Sundays for 6 years but that doesn't mean I've been on strike.

Good for you. 16 years in the railway i know how it works.

On 27/03/2021 at 10:57, SE16 3LN said:

The average in Scotland is around £34k which obviously includes more highly trained and experienced nurses with a lot of responsibility.

I actually think 4% is a ****ing insult given what has happened in the past year, so you can imagine what I feel about 1%. However, things aren't always what they seem. The UK Govt. has given money to the NHS since the start of the pandemic and in England and Wales the Health trusts have spent a lot of this on payment incentives. An example would be increased payments for overtime. I've no idea whether NHS Scotland have offered these sort of pay incentives, but my partner who works in London earned 15% more in 20/21 than in the previous financial year for working more or less the same hours(she often works an Saturday/Sunday or night shift shift to cover). She has earned it.

Thanks for the info. One of those questions I have never been sure about; £30-40K a year was roughly what I probably would have guessed for an experienced nurses salary. 

23 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

4% is a bang average pay rise out with the public sector and 500 quid is the lowest bonus in the history of bonuses. Just another desperate last minute attempt to buy votes 

?? The bonus was months ago

Jambo-Jimbo
On 27/03/2021 at 13:07, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The starting salary for a band 5 is just over £24k rising to a maximum of £30k.

I think band 5 nurses make up the vast majority of nursing staff in the NHS, there are also many who are part-time working between 20 - 30 hrs per week, so their salary is less than the above.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/a-nurses-guide-to-nhs-pay-bands-in-2021/

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Thanks for the info. One of those questions I have never been sure about; £30-40K a year was roughly what I probably would have guessed for an experienced nurses salary. 

I posted the above link on Saturday, which gives you all the salaries for all the different bands and what roles are covered by each band.

As you will see to get anything near 40K you have to be Ward Managers or really specialized nurses from band 7 upwards.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of staff nurses you would encounter on a hospital ward are band 5.

40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I posted the above link on Saturday, which gives you all the salaries for all the different bands and what roles are covered by each band.

As you will see to get anything near 40K you have to be Ward Managers or really specialized nurses from band 7 upwards.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of staff nurses you would encounter on a hospital ward are band 5.

It depends on the role like you said (that link is for England, it’s slightly higher in Scotland).

Basic pay is pretty grim IMO.

But:

A Band 5 with 4+ years experience will be top of their band on over £31000(ish) and will approach the late 30k’s with night shift and weekend enhancements. 
A band 6 with 5+ years experience at that band will be well over 40k with  nights and weekends.

Its certainly not an attractive career with the current rates of pay though. To make good money your work/life balance will take a severe hit.  

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Cheers, must have missed it on Saturday. I just went back and had a look through. 

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, gjcc said:

It depends on the role like you said (that link is for England, it’s slightly higher in Scotland).

Basic pay is pretty grim IMO.

But:

A Band 5 with 4+ years experience will be top of their band on over £31000(ish) and will approach the late 30k’s with night shift and weekend enhancements. 
A band 6 with 5+ years experience at that band will be well over 40k with  nights and weekends.

Its certainly not an attractive career with the current rates of pay though. To make good money your work/life balance will take a severe hit.  

Without her weekend enhancement Mrs JJ says it wouldn't be worth while, it really does make a huge difference to her pay.

Certainly on her ward it's the same night staff week in week out, which suits Mrs JJ as she hates night shifts, in fact I think she's managed to only do a handful in almost 20 years, obviously it helps when the same staff are happy to do nights all the time.

A post came up a few years ago for another department which Mrs JJ fancied, however it was Mon-Fri and we couldn't afford the wage drop, that's how much many rely on Saturday-Sunday shifts to boost their basic wage.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Cheers, must have missed it on Saturday. I just went back and had a look through. 

Although it's for England, it does however give you an idea of the pay scales and the roles which each band relates to.

manaliveits105
On 28/03/2021 at 11:16, Ainsley Harriott said:

And the cash they were supposed to use to support small businesses with during lockdown but have sat on

Another snp disgrace - wheesht for indy 

manaliveits105

GMB union balloting and  advising their members to reject the offer as not enough and they want recompensed for the last 10 years low pay 

4% now and 4%+ inflation next year is probably more sensible than pushing for a higher % now.
Keep pushing when other key workers/public sector get nothing and folk will probably be out their doors on a Thursday Booing. 

6 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

GMB union balloting and  advising their members to reject the offer as not enough and they want recompensed for the last 10 years low pay 

Organised by Karen Leonard.

Now who is “electioneering” :lol: 

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Rejecting it and calling it out as a political stunt.

How much egg does the OP have on his face, Nicola wins again :rofl::rofl:

26 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Rejecting it and calling it out as a political stunt.

How much egg does the OP have on his face, Nicola wins again :rofl::rofl:

1. the Scottish Government wanted to hold back talks until the summer once the UK had awarded there’s and offered 1% in the mean time. The unions pulled them back around the table and within a week or two 4% was pledged. The timing wasn’t wholly controlled by Nicola.

2. The only Union advising their members to reject the deal is being fronted by the wife of Richard Leonard. That’s a political stunt. 

3. An offer of a 4% rise is bloody good under the current circumstances.