Andrew McKinlay Hearts CEO (merged threads)

maroongoals

On 28/03/2021 at 20:03, August Landmesser said:

HR staff don't sit in on interviews unless it's an interview for a job in the HR dept 

Hahaha haha 🙈 Slightly incorrect, like 300% incorrect.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainmac

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• NANOJAMBO

On 28/03/2021 at 20:20, August Landmesser said:

Then I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic shoes). Seems a waste of time having HR sit in on an interview though. All they tend to deal with is bank details, start forms etc.

Anyway, I highly doubt the fellas wife was on his own interview panel

It's to make sure it's done correctly, by the book, open and fair.

1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Interestingly,  just had a chat with a family member who was very senior in Scottish Golf over the past few years and knows Andrew McKinlay well.   Described him as someone who let the Chair do all the work,  and enjoyed his freebies that came with the role,  not someone who takes ownership and gets things done.      Might explain a lot!

He was feckin’ hopeless at SG - HOPELESS.

1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Interestingly,  just had a chat with a family member who was very senior in Scottish Golf over the past few years and knows Andrew McKinlay well.   Described him as someone who let the Chair do all the work,  and enjoyed his freebies that came with the role,  not someone who takes ownership and gets things done.      Might explain a lot!

At least our recruitment standard is consistent across all areas of the Club.

Utterly p1sh.

Bad Religion
6 hours ago, lost in space said:

I thought I would find out what a CEO does - as apposed to an Chief Executive/ MD/President/Owner/Director of Football/COO (Operations)/ CFO (Finance)/ etc

Doing a simple google check brought the following -

"The typical duties, responsibilities, and job description of a CEO include: Communicating, on behalf of the company, with shareholders, government entities, and the public. Leading the development of the company’s short- and long-term strategy Creating and implementing the company or organization’s vision and mission"

"A CEO, which stands for Chief Executive Officer, is the highest-ranking individual in a company or organization. The CEO is responsible for the overall success of a business entity or other organization and for making top-level managerial decisions. They may ask for input on major decisions, but they are the ultimate authority in making final decisions. There are other titles for CEOs, such as chief executive, president, and managing director.

The Chief Executive Officer reports directly to, and is accountable to, the Board of Directors for the performance of a company. The Board of Directors (BoD) is a group of individuals who are elected to represent the shareholders of the company. The CEO often sits on the board and, in some cases, she or he is the chairperson."

There are a large number of definitions and descriptions of what a CEO does and I am not going to go through them all. However, just taking "Communicating, on behalf of the company" would suggest that our CEO is not doing his job.

Is Ann Budge as bad at appointing CEOs, as she is at appointing Head Coaches?

Is our CEO being allowed to do his job?

If our CEO is not being allowed to do his job, why is he at the club?

What salary is our CEO being paid for not doing his job?

Should our CEO be sacked? - or if he had any dignity, resign due to interference?

Our CEO isn’t involved in the ‘football department’. 

39 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Correct, he's working on a plan to turn Tynecastle into a pitch n putt in the summer months.

lost in space
35 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

I have heard that said over the last couple of weeks and would like to know who originally said or wrote that. 

As far as I can see, CEO is usually 

responsibility for all areas - with less senior employees responsible for individual areas.

I would have thought that CEO was the boss of the Director of Football.

9 hours ago, lost in space said:

I have heard that said over the last couple of weeks and would like to know who originally said or wrote that. 

responsibility for all areas - with less senior employees responsible for individual areas.

The point is...If he wasn't involved in the football department then why the big fanfare to introduce him to the fans on the official website, EEN...etc? 

He could have just joined the cast of faceless 100's that operate behind the scene at Tynecastle otherwise.

I think he does have a role on the football side of things....It's just possible that Budge has clipped his wings, but a ball gag in his mouth, or just simply that it's suddenly become too hot a situation for him to handle! 

Neilson Out

Bad Religion
9 hours ago, lost in space said:

Ask @davemclaren

9 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Correct, he's working on a plan to turn Tynecastle into a pitch n putt in the summer months.

As opposed to the p!sh n sh!t in the winter months...

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Could be me or my phone Dave, but I've read that link about 4 times and your text doesn't match the text in the link.

Anyway seems McKinlay's day to day role is more COO, MD than CEO albeit he is sitting on the board compared to say David Southern and Scot Gardiner who IIRC didn't.

Role title probably adds a few £10ks to his renumeration package.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and it's the pain of what is happening on the pitch just now.

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Could be me or my phone Dave, but I've read that link about 4 times and your text doesn't match the text in the link.

Anyway seems McKinlay's day to day role is more COO, MD than CEO albeit he is sitting on the board compared to say David Southern and Scot Gardiner who IIRC didn't.

Role title probably adds a few £10ks to his renumeration package.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and it's the pain of what is happening on the pitch just now.

Ah, someone else found that quote so I copied it from them. I think he is more COO, at the moment anyway. 

lost in space

So - McKinlay was appointed as CEO.

He will presumably be paid as a CEO.

BUT he is not doing the job of CEO - because as Ann herself says she is a "control freak".

I know different business's organise differently and CEO is not always Chairperson but Ann says she will be working on "the longer-term strategic planning decisions, so essential to our future success".  Yet, on the other version of the report, she also says "My day-to-day activities will be more focused on the football side".

At least, according to Ann, a proper process has been followed in his appointment (if you can believe a word that she says) -  "Having interviewed a number of outstanding candidates for the position, the nominations committee members were unanimous in their decision to appoint Andrew."

I would love to know how the post was advertised (if it was) / the evidence on how the short list was drawn up / the number of applicants / the number of people who were interviewed / who the panellists were / the evidence that McKinlay should be appointed.

So, if McKinlay is not working on long-term strategy and is not working on the Football and is not working on communications (no-one is) - what is he doing?  Ann also said McKinlays biggest problem would be her. Perhaps he should "grow a pair" or resign.

I certainly have not always agreed with Ann but always felt that she was an asset.   

I no longer trust her or even believe her.

34 minutes ago, lost in space said:

BUT he is not doing the job of CEO - because as Ann herself says she is a "control freak".

I know different business's organise differently and CEO is not always Chairperson but Ann says she will be working on "the longer-term strategic planning decisions, so essential to our future success".  Yet, on the other version of the report, she also says "My day-to-day activities will be more focused on the football side".

At least, according to Ann, a proper process has been followed in his appointment (if you can believe a word that she says) -  "Having interviewed a number of outstanding candidates for the position, the nominations committee members were unanimous in their decision to appoint Andrew."

I would love to know how the post was advertised (if it was) / the evidence on how the short list was drawn up / the number of applicants / the number of people who were interviewed / who the panellists were / the evidence that McKinlay should be appointed.

So, if McKinlay is not working on long-term strategy and is not working on the Football and is not working on communications (no-one is) - what is he doing?  Ann also said McKinlays biggest problem would be her. Perhaps he should "grow a pair" or resign.

I certainly have not always agreed with Ann but always felt that she was an asset.   

“We scoured the world for the best candidate. Who would have thought we would eventually find the right one sitting having a cup of tea in his wife’s office at Tynecastle?”

Italian Lambretta
10 minutes ago, leginten said:

“We scoured the world for the best candidate. Who would have thought we would eventually find the right one sitting having a cup of tea in his wife’s office at Tynecastle?”

This sounds familair.

Do you remember when Cathro was sacked and Budge scoured the uk for a new manager to take us forward only to realise months later the candidate was sitting all the time in the Board room.

How fecking rediculous have we become.............

12 minutes ago, leginten said:

Even in these trying times that made me laugh.

Nookie Bear
17 minutes ago, leginten said:

😂

Banter FC 

Edited by Nookie Bear

58 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I wonder if Lesley Blair is on the "nominations committee"? 

The Central Services Director's main function seems to be HR so it wouldn't be surprising, if they weren't married. 

"I nominate my Husband" 

"All those in favour........" 

We've already discovered that AB parachuted SW straight in as Chair of FoH as she'd previously worked with him on the Save The Children sponsorship. It looks like the self confessed "control freak" has just surrounded herself with nodding dogs. 

Bad Religion
1 hour ago, lost in space said:

McKinlay is the husband of a women who works for the club.

David Black
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

This sounds familair.

Do you remember when Cathro was sacked and Budge scoured the uk for a new manager to take us forward only to realise months later the candidate was sitting all the time in the Board room.

That is one of the 2 versions Budge gave re appointing Levein. 2 AGM's and 2 different versions.

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, leginten said:

🤣   What are the chances, eh ?  😉

17 hours ago, lost in space said:

Agreed. It’s somewhat ludicrous if it’s true. The CEO of a football club who doesn’t involve himself in football ? It’s utterly daft but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t do it and I hope FOH go over his job description with a fine tooth comb when they take over and get him tae **** if we’re just his meal ticket

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

🤣   What are the chances, eh ?  😉

Someone posted that she is a lawyer but registered a management consultant company with companies house the day she began working for us.  Is she still a solicitor and working for the club part time?  

Why not just hire her company when required rather than give her a permanent position? 

Anyone know how these things work? 

lost in space
8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Someone posted that she is a lawyer but registered a management consultant company with companies house the day she began working for us.  Is she still a solicitor and working for the club part time?  

Why not just hire her company when required rather than give her a permanent position? 

Employing her means that she then has rights (annual leave, sick pay, pension etc).

Management consultants are very expensive to bring in but you can hire by the day etc.

I suppose it depends how much work the club is giving her.

We can relax though - the CEO will probably be deciding on how much time she is billing us for......

David Black
15 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

With the exception of Jaquie Duncan, Finance Director, we should be doing exactly that, paying for their knowledge on legal and financial matters . if and when we need them. 

17 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Seems to me it’s not just the playing staff needing a clear out of wage thieves 

5 hours ago, leginten said:

Along with the best "football dept" manager and the best construction company, and the best bar manager.

I think Ann is taking us all for mugs and lining the pockets of virtually everyone she knows

Auldbenches
20 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Employing her means that she then has rights (annual leave, sick pay, pension etc).

Management consultants are very expensive to bring in but you can hire by the day etc.

I suppose it depends how much work the club is giving her.

We can relax though - the CEO will probably be deciding on how much time she is billing us for......

I wonder if she is working with us full time or is also still working as a solicitor?

Seems strange that we are employing her to give her these employment rights if we being billed by her new company.  

Why set up a that company if she was directly being taken on by us?

If she is still working as a solicitor,  why didn't we just hire someone full time?  

Auldbenches
24 minutes ago, David Black said:

With the exception of Jaquie Duncan, Finance Director, we should be doing exactly that, paying for their knowledge on legal and financial matters . if and when we need them. 

I wonder how many people are employed behind the scenes and how many didn't know her before they got the job? 

Someone posted a graphic in last summer showing Celtic's hold on the game with who is sitting on which board and committee, someone should do one for those employed by us.  

Be interesting to see all the connections.  

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I wonder if she is working with us full time or is also still working as a solicitor?

Seems strange that we are employing her to give her these employment rights if we being billed by her new company.  

Why set up a that company if she was directly being taken on by us?

If she is still working as a solicitor,  why didn't we just hire someone full time?  

Because it's often cheaper to employ people as contractors on a day rate than it is to take them on as an employee, making pension contributions etc. In this case, I can't see the club employing her full time as there isn't a workload for a full time role so it's simpler to have her part time/as needed basis. There's nothing odd about it IMO. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Agreed. It’s somewhat ludicrous if it’s true. The CEO of a football club who doesn’t involve himself in football ? It’s utterly daft but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t do it and I hope FOH go over his job description with a fine tooth comb when they take over and get him tae **** if we’re just his meal ticket

I'm sure he's got a workload it's just that Budge can't let go of the football dept because she was so badly let down by Levein.   But it's markedly different at HMFC say when compared to Celtic where the CEO (Lawwell) was all over everything Lennon related. Compare with Hearts - where Budge  doesn't let him speak , apparently. I'm sure he's busy meeting the blazeratti at Hampden. . 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

David Black
15 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I wonder how many people are employed behind the scenes and how many didn't know her before they got the job? 

Someone posted a graphic in last summer showing Celtic's hold on the game with who is sitting on which board and committee, someone should do one for those employed by us.  

Be interesting to see all the connections.  

Very interesting indeed. She puts her mates in post and as a result gets very little dissent from them.

13 minutes ago, David Black said:

Very interesting indeed. She puts her mates in post and as a result gets very little dissent from them.

Built in absolute loyalty and obedience.

Very clever and not surprising for a self confessed control freak

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

We seek him here, we seek him there......

Has this Scarlet Pimpernel geezer surfaced yet ? 

Just finishing the 18th now.

Will get back to you asap.😳

Pasquale for King
19 hours ago, lost in space said:

I think it’s in one of these links. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ann-budge-reveals-legacy-she-wants-leave-hearts-2955938

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ann-budge-tells-hearts-fans-she-going-nowhere-board-changes-are-imminent-2944952

D39AEF52-695E-49F1-85F0-2B28EB2A9B80.jpeg

6E6AF5FC-7ABC-4BD8-80DC-2DA17FD2F15F.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Footballfirst

AB admits to being a control freak.  She also has a record of appointing people she knows and trusts for director or senior positions at the club.  She has also admitted at an AGM that it is not good governance for the same person to hold the positions of major shareholder, Chairman and Chief Executive, but didn't act to resolve this in any way before the appointment of AMcK. 

The inevitable result of those choices, is that it will minimise questioning of the decision making of a control freak, lessen the possibility of conflict between directors and executives, but also means that those appointed may not be the best people for the job. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

This constantly amuses me

7 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

This sounds familair.

It’s very like you get the job by who you know rather than what you know. It’s like at school if the 2 captains get a pick and it’s your pal not the best player. Yes we’ve all been there at school, up the park, in the workplace and so on.

Auldbenches
47 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Just finishing the 18th now.

Will get back to you asap.😳

He's choking to give us an update on where we go from here.

He just isn't allowed. 

gowestjambo
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

AB admits to being a control freak.  She also has a record of appointing people she knows and trusts for director or senior positions at the club.  She has also admitted at an AGM that it is not good governance for the same person to hold the positions of major shareholder, Chairman and Chief Executive, but didn't act to resolve this in any way before the appointment of AMcK. 

The inevitable result of those choices, is that it will minimise questioning of the decision making of a control freak, lessen the possibility of conflict between directors and executives, but also means that those appointed may not be the best people for the job. 

It appears to me there are lots of people benefiting from Anne Budge running Hearts. Crap Footballers, Crap Manager and her Cronies in the Boardroom. Everyone apart from the most important people in the whole equation - The Club's Supporters!!!! This Tin Pot Dictator must be removed, and the only people who can make this happen are the Paying Customers withholding Pledges and Season Ticket money.

3 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

It appears to me there are lots of people benefiting from Anne Budge running Hearts. Crap Footballers, Crap Manager and her Cronies in the Boardroom. Everyone apart from the most important people in the whole equation - The Club's Supporters!!!! This Tin Pot Dictator must be removed, and the only people who can make this happen are the Paying Customers withholding Pledges and Season Ticket money.

You forgot the construction company and the bar manager.

Likes to keep it in the family does Ann, but likes other people to pay for the privilege

7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

He's choking to give us an update on where we go from here.

He just isn't allowed. 

ICant Talk About It Im Not Allowed To Say GIF - ICantTalkAboutIt  ImNotAllowedToSay ImNotSaying - Discover & Share GIFs

Ann Budge says she’s going to be working on the football side well this must really worry every fan that follows the Hearts.

Ann Budge needs to be made to realise that she is no good at making football decisions. She has failed in appointing the most important job in football that is a manager. Her choices have been half baked because she has listened to the wrong people. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

You forgot the construction company and the bar manager.

Likes to keep it in the family does Ann, but likes other people to pay for the privilege

Healthy interest rate on her loans

Construction contract for her brother

Jobs for her pals and associates

Championship football and countless wasted seasons

Yup, it’s us who are lucky to have her.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Healthy interest rate on her loans

Construction contract for her brother

Jobs for her pals and associates

Championship football and countless wasted seasons

Yup, it’s us who are lucky to have her.

We really are all pretty gullible.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, David Black said:

A bit like Trump.