Mass shooting.

Sharpie

Rodger Mellie
15 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There have been 45 mass shootings in the USA in the last 30 days.  

A mass shooting is defined as one where there are four or more people dead or wounded in a single incident.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/mass-shootings-45-one-month/index.html

These incidents are so common that they are rarely a topic of conversation amongst my family, friends and coworkers. I think

a large portion of the US population have become immune to them. 

Edited by Rodger Mellie

25 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

These incidents are so common that they are rarely a topic of conversation amongst my family, friends and coworkers. I think

a large portion of the US population have become immune to them. 

For whatever reason there seems to be a belief now in the States that if something bothers you then you can demonstrate, protest peacefully as a group, or if an individual take your own action by causing multiple deaths.

highlandjambo3
5 hours ago, Rodger Mellie said:

My coworker was caught up in gun incident  in her street a couple of days ago. Some nutter started shooting randomly at people and shot the shopkeeper at the package store. She was in her house listening to the gunshots and had to shelter in place for hours until the SWAT team took care of the guy. The small town I live in has shooting incidents daily. Pretty surreal stuff for a boy from the ‘mean’ streets of Edinburgh!

Just had a “Tom Hanks” flashback from the film “big”........ he had run away to the city and was in a hotel with the window open....tv was on and some film showing a police car chase and gunfire....so he switched off the tv only to hear another live version of the same thing going down the street 😅

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Not like every country at all, there are more guns than people in the US. It's ridiculous to think that banning guns would solve the problem.

It wouldn't solve the problem straight away but making it hard to get your hands on a gun would reduce these mass shootings. How often does the average Joe use his own gun to kill a crazy gun man that's on a rampage? Probably very rare. As I said the a normal person going about their day has absolutely no need what so ever to be carrying a gun.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

It wouldn't solve the problem straight away but making it hard to get your hands on a gun would reduce these mass shootings. How often does the average Joe use his own gun to kill a crazy gun man that's on a rampage? Probably very rare. As I said the a normal person going about their day has absolutely no need what so ever to be carrying a gun.

These rampages are a very small part of the picture, gun crime is rampant.

There are around 400 million small arms in private ownership in the US that we know of. 400 million.

How many would actually get taken off the streets if they were banned? What number makes it safe? Would it make life safer for law abiding citizens or would it mean that gun toting criminals would be more confident that their victim won't pull a weapon back and worsen the situation?

This situation has gone so far that I just can't see a way out short of a massive event.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This situation has gone so far that I just can't see a way out short of a massive event.

What, like Vegas?

30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I currently live in a state that does not require a license to conceal carry.

It's a nightmare. It's safest to assume that everyone at all times is currently hiding a loaded gun on them. Easy to keep in mind with how many people carry around loaded pistols openly while grocery shopping.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

It's a nightmare. It's safest to assume that everyone at all times is currently hiding a loaded gun on them. Easy to keep in mind with how many people carry around loaded pistols openly while grocery shopping.

Do you actually get used to it?

38 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

That's nuts. It baffles me that some folk think this makes things better and makes them feel safer. I'd be ****ing terrified to leave the house.

How the **** do people live, knowing that any ****ing bam or radge they meet could be strappin' yo? Do they all think they're King of the Wild West? Fastest draw, ready to outgun anyone who messes with me and my kin? 

Don't take this boggled mind on your home country personally though. It's not intended to be like that. It just... I really don't understand that mind set. 

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Do you actually get used to it?

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

That's nuts. It baffles me that some folk think this makes things better and makes them feel safer. I'd be ****ing terrified to leave the house.

How the **** do people live, knowing that any ****ing bam or radge they meet could be strappin' yo? Do they all think they're King of the Wild West? Fastest draw, ready to outgun anyone who messes with me and my kin? 

Don't take this boggled mind on your home country personally though. It's not intended to be like that. It just... I really don't understand that mind set. 

I used to be acclimated to it. I grew up in a very pro-NRA household with around 10-20 rifles and pistols in it at any point in time. I had guns thrust in my hands as a young child to learn how to shoot when the house was (apparently) inevitably broken in to. So, I'd say before I was a teenager I never questioned it or really felt scared. I was taught to be more scared of the "bad people" who wanted to rob or murder and the only way to stop them was to be armed. Then Columbine happened and my generation started to realize what having free and open access to guns really means.

Now I'm absolutely terrified and can't wait to get out of here.

Edited by Dorothy
Spelling

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

I used to be acclimated to it. I grew up in a very pro-NRA household with around 10-20 rifles and pistols in it at any point in time. I had guns thrust in my hands as a young child to learn how to shoot when the house was (apparently) inevitably broken in to. So, I'd say before I was a teenager I never questioned it or really felt scared. I was taught to be more scared of the "bad people" who wanted to rob or murder and the only way to stop them was to be armed. Then Columbine happened and my generation started to realize what having free and open access to guns really means.

Now I'm absolutely terrified and can't wait to get out of here.

That sounds really awful being brought up in that environment.

I’m not criticising your parents just in general living with that day to day.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That sounds really awful being brought up in that environment.

I’m not criticising your parents just in general living with that day to day.

I would definitely not suggest the upbringing, made the world seem dark, scary, and that it was unavoidable that someone would try to kill me at some point. It's a rough perspective to have on life.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

I would definitely not suggest the upbringing, made the world seem dark, scary, and that it was unavoidable that someone would try to kill me at some point. It's a rough perspective to have on life.

👍

• 3 weeks later...
iantjambo

A sixth grade girl has wounded a janitor and 2 students after opening fire with a handgun in a middle school in Rigby, Idaho. The shooter was disarmed by a teacher before she could cause anymore harm.

iantjambo
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Sixth grade is 11 or 12 years old. 

Yeah. Sixth grade is the equivalent of primary 7 at this side of the pond.

Unbelievable 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Sixth grade is 11 or 12 years old. 

Probably explains her poor aim.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

A sixth grade girl has wounded a janitor and 2 students after opening fire with a handgun in a middle school in Rigby, Idaho. The shooter was disarmed by a teacher before she could cause anymore 

Was she legally allowed to have a firearm in Idaho?

Edited by John Findlay

iantjambo
18 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was she legally allowed to have a firearm in Idaho?

It didn’t say. Wouldn’t surprise me if she was though.

Quick check:

CB561101-20E1-40B9-828B-28B21D0DFB11.jpeg

Edited by iantjambo