Mass shooting.

Sharpie

Another mass shooting this time in Boulder Colorado, ten people killed including the first policeman on the scene who was killed when challenging the shooter. Not much information, it all happened in a super market, another nut killing innocent unarmed people, and a policeman. I hope his reasons for doing such a cowardly act were worth the misery and grief he has caused, death is too good a punishment for him. What I found strange was that all media with the exception of Fox,  with Hannity and Carlson instead harping on about the Border. They are so obsessed with decrying Biden they don't even acknowledge in any way the deaths of fellow Americans. I wonder what the shooters reasons will be this time, last weeks shooter picked on mainly Asians. I won't make any suggestions as to motive, but I know what is in my mind.

I really wish I could be shocked, but I'm just deeply saddened. Unfortunately this is just a sign that us Americans are "getting back to normal." The one golden spot about this pandemic for the US was the radical drop in mass shootings, looks like that break is over.  Motives will be some awful bit of racism or bigotry of some type I'm sure, usually is.

highlandjambo3

Don’t mean to sound rude or get anyone’s back up but.........

On average 40 people are killed daily in America, police in the line of duty, geezer robbing a bank, neighbour pissed off at another neighbour, kid playing with dads (mums) gun etc...no one seems bothered until its 5+ in one incident.

America has a huge gun problem which they are unwilling or unable to do anything about because of their right to arm themselves.......if Apache helicopters were on general sale there would be a few nutters buying one because....well......”my neighbour has a Huey gunship”.

This mass shooting issue is almost a weekly incident.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

On average 40 people are killed daily in America, police in the line of duty, geezer robbing a bank, neighbour pissed off at another neighbour, kid playing with dads (mums) gun etc...no one seems bothered until its 5+ in one incident.

America has a huge gun problem which they are unwilling or unable to do anything about because of their right to arm themselves.......if Apache helicopters were on general sale there would be a few nutters buying one because....well......”my neighbour has a Huey gunship”.

A basket case country.

It’ll never change.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If they want to bear arms, this is a price they'll have to pay. 

Agreed, especially when the ****wits are allowed more than anyone else.

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

A quick Google search shows that in 2019 there were more mass shootings in America than there were days in the year.

419 v 365.

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Another mass shooting this time in Boulder Colorado, ten people killed including the first policeman on the scene who was killed when challenging the shooter. Not much information, it all happened in a super market, another nut killing innocent unarmed people, and a policeman. I hope his reasons for doing such a cowardly act were worth the misery and grief he has caused, death is too good a punishment for him. What I found strange was that all media with the exception of Fox,  with Hannity and Carlson instead harping on about the Border. They are so obsessed with decrying Biden they don't even acknowledge in any way the deaths of fellow Americans. I wonder what the shooters reasons will be this time, last weeks shooter picked on mainly Asians. I won't make any suggestions as to motive, but I know what is in my mind.

He was just having a bad day.

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He was just having a bad day.

It was was some local sheriff that said that where 8 American/Asians where murdered.

What a clown.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

I know Boulder well. Affluent traditional university town. Liberal by American standards. Just another example of the nutter element pervasive across the whole country, irrespective of demographic.

Jambo-Jimbo

Seen the report on CNN and the presenter said that there is a video from homeland security telling people what to do in case this very thing happens, he then said I guess it's just the world we live in...........................

Emm, no numbnuts..................it's the fecking fecked up country you live in, and your obsession with guns.

As aussieh quite rightly says, you want the right to bear guns, this is the price you pay.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen the report on CNN and the presenter said that there is a video from homeland security telling people what to do in case this very thing happens, he then said I guess it's just the world we live in...........................

Emm, no numbnuts..................it's the fecking fecked up country you live in, and your obsession with guns.

As aussieh quite rightly says, you want the right to bear guns, this is the price you pay.

You have to remember to many, many Americans the USA is "the world". 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Sadly that's true.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If they want to bear arms, this is a price they'll have to pay. 

Yep, ultimately these things will happen. 

America aren't going to get rid off all guns but they need to tighten gun laws and have super strict licensing with the sort of background checks they'd do on Muslim folk visiting their Country. 

An amnesty of weapons for cash might remove a few guns too. I don't know. 

You can't change the 2nd Amendment... 

Ermm... AMENDMENT. CLUE IS IN THE NAME!! 

America values its liberties/freedoms more than the lives they're costing. 

To think this is a country that doesn't trust its citizens with Kinder Eggs yet you can buy a military grade weapon with almost zero checks in a lot of places. 

SectionDJambo

I went on a fly drive holiday to California, Arizona and Nevada back in 1983. We stayed with a Scottish couple in LA for a couple of nights. I had taken some car parts over, to the man of the house, for a friend.

Anyway, the Scottish couple never locked their doors when they went out, and did not own a gun, whilst their next door neighbour slept with a gun under his pillow. 2 extremes.

My understanding of the whole Right to bear arms comes from the forming a Militia to protect the property they got when they emigrated to the new land.  They now have the greatest army in the world, recently provided with the greatest weapons as financed by the last President Donald Trump. Not a criticism just saying. Last weeks shooting when eight Asians died was seen as retribution agains particularly Chinese, because of the Chinese Covid and other references to the  Pandemic with Chinese references. The present policies reference immigration and packed borders is also being suggested as a motive. 

The gunman in yesterdays incident was apparently armed with an AK long rifle and was firing bursts of at least eight rounds at a time, the policeman who was killed was apparently armed with a normal issue handgun, no contest. It takes a certain level of courage and duty to go in to a situation like that knowing probably that you are lesser armed than the shooter, but thats what most would do because despite all the criticisms and  complaints  a policeman when the situation arises usually does what he has to do.

My heart goes out to all those who have lost an important member of a family, death comes to us all but to be snatched uselessly from life and loved ones by some idiot is so so sad.

I P Knightley
44 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, ultimately these things will happen. 

America aren't going to get rid off all guns but they need to tighten gun laws and have super strict licensing with the sort of background checks they'd do on Muslim folk visiting their Country. 

An amnesty of weapons for cash might remove a few guns too. I don't know. 

Covid relief: swap your guns for cash.

I've seen some really poor defences of their second amendment and none that make any sense. Bunch of nutcases, the lot of them.

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've seen some really poor defences of their second amendment and none that make any sense. Bunch of nutcases, the lot of them.

They can't make sense, the intent behind the amendment is ridiculous by today's standard. The original idea was that the populace should be as well armed as the government so that the populace could rise up and have a legitimate chance of overthrow. That doesn't mean today that Americans should have assault rifles, but predator drones, tanks, nuclear devices, etc. It's almost like the founding government could have never imagined warfare beyond the musket. Yet, Americans uphold the 2nd like they were preserving the right to shoot each other for sport for all eternity and it never be revisited.

I know there are a number of people here who live in the USA. My experience of living there - and there are many fine fine things and wonderful people - is that there is a fixation with the culture of "Freedom". That's a narrative that is ingrained into the population from birth. Look at the educations system - the pledging of allegiance to the flag and constitution at the start of each day, the singing of the national anthem prior to any sports fixture etc. To understand what that means, I would invite anyone who visits to go into a home store such as Home Depot, or a sports store. Go into B&Q here and you find paint, lightbulbs, domestic power tools etc. Go into Home Depot, of course you find all that, but in addition you'll find industrial pneumatic drills, concrete mixers, nail guns etc. Go into Decathlon here and the most exotic thing you'll find is maybe a kayak. In Oshman's you'll find hunting rifles and all the associated gear, crossbows and ammo that could take out a target at 500m etc.

So what? This is all because of a culture of relying only on yourself. It is what many people regard as "Freedom". The belief that that the need rely on others (and pay the taxes that fund them) is a bad thing. Some people take this to the extremes that we see. Until this notion of "Freedom" is redefined - and that goes all the way back to 1776, nothing will change.

Jambo-Jimbo
41 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

They can't make sense, the intent behind the amendment is ridiculous by today's standard. The original idea was that the populace should be as well armed as the government so that the populace could rise up and have a legitimate chance of overthrow. That doesn't mean today that Americans should have assault rifles, but predator drones, tanks, nuclear devices, etc. It's almost like the founding government could have never imagined warfare beyond the musket. Yet, Americans uphold the 2nd like they were preserving the right to shoot each other for sport for all eternity and it never be revisited.

For me it's the first four words that are key.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The cop was fifty one and had seven children. I wonder how many children are left of the other nine victims. There will be theories, evidence, television experts, politicians, all with their views on the incident, but I cannot see past is that regardless of what is said, theorised, these members of families will live with this day the rest of their lives. Having delivered many messages to families about sudden unprepared for the news deaths it just really bothers me.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

🤣

I agree.

No-one should own or, have the need to own a Gun. It's a ridiculous concept to us given how effective the change was in UK Gun Laws after Dunblane and how safe we personally feel. 

Although, an American may argue that, 

a. They do not trust their Government or, b., they do not feel safe from other groups of Citizens. 

Sadly, I don't think they'd be wrong if they agreed with either. See Trump's Presidency and the Social challenges for example. 

I don't see how they could possibly get rid off 90% of America's Guns in the current climate. Banning them and stopping the sale of ammunition might stop people from upgrading their existing stock or buying more guns. Unfortunately, that will not stop people from from having one and it could create a host of other problems which comes with prohibiting items. 

It is not something I reckon that can be solved in small terms of office, where good work done on the issue by one President is immediately removed by the next. All parties, groups and organisations need to be singing of the same hymn sheet for a real change in attitude. 

It's a sad state of affairs that they have got themselves into with their constitutional freedoms. 

12 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Just along the road from Columbine I believe

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Yes absolutely......every classroom has a map of America (and BIG stars & stripes flags) and, any kid can point to any of the states when challenged.........ask them to point out Africa or the UK on a world map well, that’s a different matter.

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My understanding of the whole Right to bear arms comes from the forming a Militia to protect the property they got when they emigrated to the new land.  They now have the greatest army in the world, recently provided with the greatest weapons as financed by the last President Donald Trump. Not a criticism just saying. Last weeks shooting when eight Asians died was seen as retribution agains particularly Chinese, because of the Chinese Covid and other references to the  Pandemic with Chinese references. The present policies reference immigration and packed borders is also being suggested as a motive. 

The gunman in yesterdays incident was apparently armed with an AK long rifle and was firing bursts of at least eight rounds at a time, the policeman who was killed was apparently armed with a normal issue handgun, no contest. It takes a certain level of courage and duty to go in to a situation like that knowing probably that you are lesser armed than the shooter, but thats what most would do because despite all the criticisms and  complaints  a policeman when the situation arises usually does what he has to do.

My heart goes out to all those who have lost an important member of a family, death comes to us all but to be snatched uselessly from life and loved ones by some idiot is so so sad.

I was issued with an AK47 whilst a training advisor in Sierra Leone for a year......best rifle I ever had, and that’s with 25years service firing all sorts of stuff.

37 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I was issued with an AK47 whilst a training advisor in Sierra Leone for a year......best rifle I ever had, and that’s with 25years service firing all sorts of stuff.

Exactly I could imagine you with that weapon and me with my old 303, operating the bolt for every round and stuffing in another ten rounds who the winner would be, even the police officer if he had an automatic handgun was well out armed with the opposing AK47. I am sure ,no I know with your experience one thing you will have is an appreciation of how important it is to be better armed than your opponent.  When I was a uniform on patrol I was issued a Smith and Wesson six round weapon. we raised the stakes to having shotguns in the cars but would still be well underarmed with the weapon available to the shooter yesterday.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Exactly I could imagine you with that weapon and me with my old 303, operating the bolt for every round and stuffing in another ten rounds who the winner would be, even the police officer if he had an automatic handgun was well out armed with the opposing AK47. I am sure ,no I know with your experience one thing you will have is an appreciation of how important it is to be better armed than your opponent.  When I was a uniform on patrol I was issued a Smith and Wesson six round weapon. we raised the stakes to having shotguns in the cars but would still be well underarmed with the weapon available to the shooter yesterday.

Couple of things on the AK.....there was no first pressure to take up on the trigger, very hairline and (typical Russian mentality)....the first setting of the safety catch after safe was automatic, then single shoot........similar mindset to the old BMP armoured vehicle they had......the fuel tanks were the bulbous rear doors “we’ll never show our back to the enemy mindset”........mujahideen caught onto that one quickly 😂

• 3 weeks later...
The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

And another one, at a Fed-Ex depot.

8 dead.

Shooter took his own life.

Unknown user
On 23/03/2021 at 09:03, Section N Rules said:

bUt wE NeEd GuNs tO PrOtEcT oUrSeLvEs.

To be fair, they pretty much do now.

With the proliferation and cultural embrace of weapons that exists there's no easy answer, if guns get banned who gives them up? The law abiding citizens that's who, leaving guns in the hands of criminals and revolutionaries.

Jambo-Jimbo
36 minutes ago, Smithee said:

With the proliferation and cultural embrace of weapons that exists there's no easy answer, if guns get banned who gives them up? The law abiding citizens that's who, leaving guns in the hands of criminals and revolutionaries.

And who then protects the law abiding citizens, hence why they also have to have a gun/s, and round and round we go.

Like you say, there is no easy answer, in fact is there any answers now, maybe that ship sailed a while ago and it's too late now.

44 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a fair point but then how many of these mass shootings are carried out by people with no criminal backgrounds? It's not like it's always a bunch of gangbangers waltzing into school shooting the place up. Its average Joes snapping and going nuts with their or their parent's legally bought gun. 

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And who then protects the law abiding citizens, hence why they also have to have a gun/s, and round and round we go.

Like you say, there is no easy answer, in fact is there any answers now, maybe that ship sailed a while ago and it's too late now.

It's a lucrative industry too, J-J. Too many powerful players have a stake in the continued tooling up of as many people as they can with increasingly nasty weapons. 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's a lucrative industry too, J-J. Too many powerful players have a stake in the continued tooling up of as many people as they can with increasingly nasty weapons. 

Indeed, feck all to do with the 2nd amendment pish, and everything to do with.

:munny:

Rodger Mellie

My coworker was caught up in gun incident  in her street a couple of days ago. Some nutter started shooting randomly at people and shot the shopkeeper at the package store. She was in her house listening to the gunshots and had to shelter in place for hours until the SWAT team took care of the guy. The small town I live in has shooting incidents daily. Pretty surreal stuff for a boy from the ‘mean’ streets of Edinburgh!

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

So just like every other country then? No normal person needs to walk about with a gun ffs.

Unknown user
51 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

So just like every other country then? No normal person needs to walk about with a gun ffs.

Not like every country at all, there are more guns than people in the US. It's ridiculous to think that banning guns would solve the problem.

1 hour ago, Section N Rules said:

Gun culture in the states seems to have changed a lot in the last few years. People have always owned guns and gone to ranges as a hobby etc. Now it’s like a macho subculture where a certain type of attitude and wanting to be visible as a gun owner is a thing. The whole open carry permit thing is just odd to non Americans, and a lot of Americans as well. The idea that in certain states there are people that put a holstered pistol on as part of their getting dressed to go out is bizarre. Seeing an armed policeman over here makes you do a double take, meanwhile in part of the US the guy in front of you in a shop queue is carrying a Glock or suchlike while they wait for their weekly shopping. A Facebook group about watches I use had the American members going in the huff as the page admins stopped allowing pictures of guns. Lots of people obviously post photos of watches, they just love to post a photo of their watch draped over their favourite firearm. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Gun culture in the states seems to have changed a lot in the last few years. People have always owned guns and gone to ranges as a hobby etc. Now it’s like a macho subculture where a certain type of attitude and wanting to be visible as a gun owner is a thing. The whole open carry permit thing is just odd to non Americans, and a lot of Americans as well. The idea that in certain states there are people that put a holstered pistol on as part of their getting dressed to go out is bizarre. Seeing an armed policeman over here makes you do a double take, meanwhile in part of the US the guy in front of you in a shop queue is carrying a Glock or suchlike while they wait for their weekly shopping. A Facebook group about watches I use had the American members going in the huff as the page admins stopped allowing pictures of guns. Lots of people obviously post photos of watches, they just love to post a photo of their watch draped over their favourite firearm. 

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that many of them regret that they weren't around in the gunslinging days of the old 'Wild West', maybe some of them would welcome a return to those days.

A little bit on the news last night thirteen year old shot by a policeman in Chicago. Two thirty in the morning, the thirteen year old is out with a twenty two year old man. They meet the policeman they at least one is armed and shots are exchanged and  the boy is shot. In this report as usual there is an expert who says the police body cam show justification on the part of the police. I wonder what a thirteen year old is doing out with an armed twenty two year old at that time in the morning.

20 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

A little bit on the news last night thirteen year old shot by a policeman in Chicago. Two thirty in the morning, the thirteen year old is out with a twenty two year old man. They meet the policeman they at least one is armed and shots are exchanged and  the boy is shot. In this report as usual there is an expert who says the police body cam show justification on the part of the police. I wonder what a thirteen year old is doing out with an armed twenty two year old at that time in the morning.

Sorry wrong thread.